• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the major Sony cinematic games from last gen

Best PS4 Sony cinematic game

• Total voters

odhiex

The best cinematic = The Last of Us Part II

The best Sony game overall = God of War

The best (my favourite) game of last-gen = The Witcher 3, very close to GoW, not a Sony game but these are my top three.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Ghost of Tsushima
Days Gone
God of War
TLOU 2
Horizon
Spiderman

Have not played UC4 or LL.

Spiderman is a dud imo. Its not bad, but I was sick of it once I had the plat. I don't like the combat and the constant crimes. Lack of indoor which makes sense as you're spidey but I would like some better stealth than what this game offers. Miles and MJ gameplay sucks.

DG is most underrated. overstays its welcome, a good few hours could've been cut, but other than that had a blast and loved the traversal with your bike getting a bit better each time.

Roufianos

I'd have to go:

God of War 10
Death Stranding 9
Horizon 8
Spider-Man 8
Miles Morales 8
Days Gone 7
Lost Legacy 7
U4 6
TloU II 5

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
GoW is probably the most "cinematic", but I enjoyed Spider-man, Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima infinitely more.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I wouldn’t call Horizon, Spider-Man, GoW or GoT cinematic games. From the list it’s Uncharted 4 over TLoU 2 easily, however I think all of ND’s PS3 offerings trump both games.

K2D

Banned
All game on the list were technical masterpieces.

Tlou2 and GOW went above and beyond in gameplay and polish.

GOW didn't retcon past events, and have characters make insufferable out-of-character decisions. GOW also had some of the best pacing of all of the games in the group.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Voted God of War since, for me, that one had the most fun gameplay out of all of those.

It also felt more like a game than a movie. Lots of story beats yeah but also lots of combat and exploration.

Ghost of Tsushima was cool too, but I never finished it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Do you guys think that cinematic games should be less cinematic?
more-kylo-ren.gif

GymWolf

God of war: clearly the best of the bunch

Horizon: great combo of story\combat\graphic, nothing to find in the open world, shitty side-character except for sylens, great lore, great dinobot enemies, shitty combat vs humans.

Tlou2 best slow paced realistic tps out there, incredible animations and graphic, great digital acting, trash story and charas, kinda shitty pacing.

Spiderman best iteration of free flow combat by far (sorry batman fanboys), decent story and charas, great traversal, shitty open world side activities

Days gone: decent all around, deacon great protagonist, some short sad scenes were more impactful to me than tlou2 entire plot, mediocre combat and stealth.

Tsushima: a decent assassins creed game with more polish and less crappy story\charas (but still mediocre), decent but monotonous combat, ultra shitty stealth, incredible art design and old samurai movie shenaningans are what do the heavy lifting for this game.

Unchy4: a boring shitty paced piece of crap with great graphics and good combat (when they actually let you fight).
The brother and the villain gave me cancer.

Last edited:
From this list Lost Legacy. Best Sony PS4 games overall and it's not even close: Shadow of The Colossus Remake and Astro Bot Rescue.

GametimeUK

Having the games listed like this just highlights how much I wasn't really feeling Sony's output last gen. Spider-Man wins it for me. In my opinion their best exclusive was Astrbot VR, but it doesn't fall into the "cinematic" category.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. God of War
2. Spider-Man
3. Horizon
4. Ghost of Tsushima
5. Uncharted 4
6. TLOU2

Haven't touched Days Gone.

Trimesh

Banned
I voted for Ghost of Tsushima - simply because it was the game I enjoyed the most, although I have to admit I don't really consider it that "cinematic".

Looking at the games with the most votes, I guess I have different tastes from most of Gaf - I can see that God of War is a well put together game, but it just completely failed to engage me. TLoU2.. well, I finished it, but I doubt I will ever play it again. I think I had enough Spiderman for a lifetime with the original PS3 release and Uncharted 4 just managed to bore the crap out of me.

Horizon and Days Gone don't really induce any strong feelings at all - both were perfectly playable, but didn't make any lasting impact on me.

TheSweeper

I enjoyed Horizon the most. Played through it twice. The Spider-Man games are on two for me. Didn't play Uncharted (quit the series after 2), Days Gone or TLOU2 (both not my genre, I don't like games with zombies).

I found God of War to be absolutely annoying. Didn't like the gameplay or the characters one bit. I think I quit about halfway through.

I kind of fundamentally disagree with calling all of those games "cinematic" games. Just because they have cutscenes doesn't necessarily make them "cinematic". For example GoT, Horizon, and Days Gone do not have any more cinematics in them than a typical Ubisoft game, yet no calls Assassin's Creed a "cinematic game". Naughty Dog games I would say fall into that category though.

To answer your question though, I have to say GoT is the best overall experience. Good combat, world, story, setting, and characters, plus a (free) decent multiplayer add-on.

Flabagast

Out of the list it's TLOU2 and it's not even close.

God of War is pretty good as well for sure.

The rest of them are mediocre to average to be honest

Fbh

Of the ones played:

1. God of War
2. Horizon
3. Spiderman
4. Uncharted the Lost Legacy
5. TLOU2
4. Uncharted 4.

Never played Days Gone as I'm that much into zombies.
And I'm waiting until I have a Ps5 to play Tsushima and MilesMorales

yurinka

GoW 10
Uncharted 4 10
The Last Guardian 9
TLOU 2 9
Ghost of Tsushima 9
Gravity Rush 2 9
Days Gone 9
Spider-Man 9
Spider-Man Miles Morales 8
HZD 8
InFamous Second Son 8
Infamous First Light 7
Uncharted Lost Legacy 7

If we add 2nd party and we don't count remasters:
Bloodborne 10
The Order 8
Until Dawn 8
Detroit 8
Death Stranding 8

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
God of war was extremely special, for me a magnificent 10/10
Loved horizon zero dawn and days gone, days gone was a bit buggy but enjoyed it a lot, 8/10 for those.

did not like uncharted 4 at all, a total bore-fest and way too long. 5/10. need more than just pretty graphics to make a good game.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Personally I like Uncharted 4 the best. I think God of War had the best narrative, but Uncharted was the most fun. Ghost of Tsushima was fun, it was basically an Assassins' Creed game, with a tighter narrative. I never played Days Gone, I have just had enough of the zombie apocalypse narrative, probably why I didn't play TLOU2. Spiderman was a ton of fun, they got the swinging down.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
1 - God of War
2 - Horizon Zero Dawn
3 - Uncharted 4
4 - Spider Man
5 - Days Gone

Haven't played Ghost of Tsushima but I'll be playing the director's cut on the PS5 next year. From what I've seen and read about the game it sounds like it'll take 3rd or 4th place.
I'm not interested in playing TLoU2. I'm not their target audience. There's enough misery in the world as it is.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
  • Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy - E
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - F
  • Spider-man + Miles Morales - C
  • God of War - A
  • Days Gone - D
  • The Last of Us 2 - G
  • Ghost of Tsushima - B
Ranked.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'm just an observer here. But the fact that you told him to consider therapy over his opinion of the Sony Studio games makes me concerned about you.
It was supposed to be a joke, but maybe it was a tad dark. Thanks for the concern. God of War made it to the semi finals of that massive game of the generation poll run earlier this year/last on this forum (along with the praise received outside this forum), so it's a flaming hot take for anyone to call it "insufferable", "terrible", "repetitive", and "bad".

When sharing an unpopular opinion, one could use language that signifies and understanding of the appeal while sharing your view instead of using definitive statements. OP is intentionally baiting people with that language.

Imagine if I posted a thread and praised Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Banjo, and Fable, but then dragged Halo/Forza and called them "insufferable", "terrible", "repetitive", and "bad".

Lupin25

God of War (2018)
The Last of Us Part II
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Ghost of Tsushima
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Spider-Man
Horizon Zero Dawn
Days Gone

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Last of Us Part II - 10
God of War - 9
Horizon Zero Dawn - 8.5
Marvel's Spider-Man - 8
Uncharted 4 - 8
Uncharted Lost Legacy - 8
Days Gone - 8
Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 7.5

All good games. Still haven't played Ghost of Tsushima yet because honestly, I'm not a fan of open world games. Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone surprised me. Spider-Man was a good game. The reason why I gave Spider-Man Miles Morales a 7.5 is because it felt like a lost legacy type of game and not a direct sequel. Still fun though.

brenobnfm

I enjoyed Horizon the most. Played through it twice. The Spider-Man games are on two for me. Didn't play Uncharted (quit the series after 2), Days Gone or TLOU2 (both not my genre, I don't like games with zombies).

I found God of War to be absolutely annoying. Didn't like the gameplay or the characters one bit. I think I quit about halfway through.

There are dozens of us my friend.

Boss Mog

1.God of War
2.Ghost of Tsushima
3.Spider-man + Miles Morales
4.Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy
5.The Last of Us Part II
6.Horizon Zero Dawn
7.Days Gone

1. Days Gone - Loved the characters, writing and survival lite system. The fuel system in particular. Coasting down hills on the way back to camp was nice. For me it's the best single player zombie game ever made and it's not even close. This was my surprise of the year.

2. HZD - also a huge surprise for me. I didn't have much faith in GG but I happily ate crow after just a few minutes of playing. The gameplay was good enough to make me overlook the terrible art style of the humans.

3. God of War - borrowed my daughter's PS4 to play this and it was good. I didn't like it as much as a lot of people, but still liked it enough to buy it on Steam day 1 and be excited for the sequel (whenever it comes to PC or I impulse buy a PS5).

Look forward to playing the rest when I can.

tommib

They’re all very good except for God of War, Horizon and Uncharted 4. Sorry, not sorry. Suck it up. I find these games visually too busy and lacking design elegance. Also, they’re an orgy of forced walking sequences - my pet hate.

TLOU2 is at the top for the sheer technical brilliance and for daring to go some really dark places but it’s quickly followed by Days Gone and GOT. Days Gone has an exceptionally likeable main character and the whole soap-opera cascade of events was delicious. GOT gets much better with the Iki expansion. That island is drop dead gorgeous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom