1. Empire - it's the only SW movie that I think it's a legitimately great movie, and the cinematography for the Bespin duel is amazing.
2. A New Hope - weird to put this one second because it has many obvious flaws, but it has so many iconic moments that in the context of the SW saga I think matters more than most of the other movies.
3. Rogue One - a movie without any particularly memorable characters, but it's real pretty to look at and the third act is fantastic. I put it here because if you asked me which SW movie I'd want to watch again, this might be the one.
4. Return of the Jedi - parts of it drag when watching it now, the Ewok shit takes up way more time than I remembered, and the opening on Tatooine could've been trimmed too. The space battle at the end is the best in the series though, and the climax on the Death Star is another fantastic scene.
5. Phantom Menace - I'd rather watch Qui-Gon than adolescent Anakin, and while the Gungans are insufferable, the pod race is legitimately quite cool (it's by far the best "gimmick" scene outside the OT) and the final fight between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul has the best fight choreography in all of SW. The stuntman playing Maul is extremely good too, he has so much physicality in the way he moves.
6. Revenge of the Sith - I don't have much to say about it, I think Grievous is stupid and the lightsaber duels have too much pointless swinging that doesn't make sense. It's more consistent than Phantom Menace, it has nothing as awful as Jar-Jar, and is honestly probably a better movie, but there's nothing I really love about it either.
7. The Force Awakens - the first part of the movie, with Rey on Jakku, is the only part that I really enjoy. It has a good atmosphere, Rey's theme is great and you think this might go somewhere cool. The escape sequence from the planet is pretty good too, even though Finn is freaking annoying right from the get-go. The stupid monster sequence on the freighter makes me want to stop watching the movie though, and after that I think there isn't that much that I enjoy. Adam Driver's acting is legit, and the fight between him and Rey in the snow is alright too, but I found the A New Hope parallels with the trench run too distracting, it's not a tense sequence and the air battle is a mess to watch. The Starkiller base blowing up half the republic is a fucking stupid plot point too. BB-8 is legitimately quite cute.
8. The Last Jedi - at this point I don't like any of the movies, and maybe on a re-watch I'd disagree with putting this movie here because I did hate it at release, however, I think some of the cinematography is nice and once again Adam Driver puts in a great effort. No need to re-litigate its flaws.
9. Attack of the Clones - I just can't with the bad CG, Dexter "Dex" Jettster, the stupid conveyor belt scene, "I killed them all" and all the rest. I only watch this movie because Natalie Portman is hot as fuck in it.
10. Rise of Skywalker - typing this list, I even forgot the name of this movie. I thought it was dogshit, clearly suffered from development hell, tries to be two movies in one because Last Jedi did fuck all, but the Palpatine clones are idiotic, everything "Skywalker" is too, the space battle has maybe the lowest stakes of any SW movie despite technically being the biggest (?) I mean the whole sky is filled with Star Destroyers. There's less to hate about this movie than Last Jedi, but there's absolutely nothing memorable about it, or worth watching.
11. Solo - after thinking back about how bad the previous three movies on this list are, maybe this doesn't deserve to be here, but I watched it once and hated it. I mean, it has Woody Harrelson, but there was nothing I liked about it and it felt the least like Star Wars out of all these movies. I think Emilia Clarke is an awful actress too and she shows it in this movie.
1. Rogue One
2. A New Hope
3. The Last Jedi
4. The Rise of Skywalker
5. The Phantom Menance
6. Revenge of the Sith
8. Empire Strikes Back
9. Return of the Jedi
10. The Force Awakens
11. Attack of the Clones
This is easy. The trilogies have gotten progressively worse, but I’ve always liked the prequels for what they are. In fact, I’ve probably watched them more times than the original movies. They are wholesome, entertaining (kids’) movies.
Also, I have to point out that I detest the changes George Lucas made to the original trilogy. Luckily I have acquired and seen the despecialized versions of the original trilogy and nowadays accept only those versions. It pains me to know that people buy and watch the original trilogy on Blu-ray and the abominations they are made to see. Do they even know that they are not watching the original academy award winning special effects?
Anyway, here goes:
Rogue One was trash except for that one minute corridor scene. Solo I haven’t seen.
I rank them all the time as Im a big fan of Star Wars Minute they do that a lot on that show. Here is mine
3. SW - I acknowledge that SW is a much better movie than Jedi but Jedi was the one I first got into as a kid, Luke is my favorite character and he is a badass in this movie, I love the Jabba stuff, the last space battle, and the Vader/Luke/Emperor showdown, so it gets the nod for me personally
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Rogue One
6. Force Awakens
7. Rise of Skywalker
8. Phantom Menace
9. Last Jedi
11. Attack of the Clones
Also for those that havent seen it, the original Clone Wars Cartoon (the 2D Tatarkovsy one) makes an epic Episode 2.5 movie when cut all together. There is a version like that you can find online. It has the characterizations done perfectly, Anakin is whiny but still a badass, and it shows you how he becomes a Jedi Knight and other things. I would personally rank that pretty high up on this list.
Unpopular opinion - While I liked the Mandalorian a lot, personally Im not really down with live action Star Wars on TV. The special effects just arent the same and it looks a bit cheesy to me. Even though I didnt love Solo (it was fine not awful) I wish it didnt bomb so hard which scared Disney away from SW Movies and now they push TV so hard. If you took Season 1 of the Mandalorian, cut out some of those middle epsidoes, and made that a movie with better special effects and higher production value, I think it would have been an awesome movie.
1. Revenge of the Sith 2. Empire Strikes Back 3. A New Hope 4. The Phantom Menace 5. The Force Awakens 6. Return of the Jedi 7. Rogue One 8. Solo 9. Attack of the Clones 10. The Last Jedi 11. The Rise of Skywalker
But there's not a single great movie between them, they range from alright to total trash, Mandalorian is significantly better than any of them.
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A new Hope
3. Return of The Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Rouge One
6. The Phantom Menace
7.Attack of the Clones
9. The Force Awakens
10. Rise of Skywalker
11. The last Jedi
considering my honorable mentions
Star wars the clone wars
Star wars Rebels
The Holiday Special
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Rise of Skywalker (I guess? Need another rewatch)
The Phantom Menace
The Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
That's my list.
Rogue One could be higher... but it's got huge problems for me. The story structure is quite frankly amateurish in places, in terms of motivating character. But it's a really beautiful movie, maybe the most visually impressive SW movie of them all. I go back and forth on it a lot... and just when a new viewing is drawing to a close and I feel like I've been giving it an unfair shake over the years, the Vader/Leia scenes happen at the end and they always sour the experience and I remember why I don't have it higher.
Solo is the bare minimum, for me. Everything below that has significant story flaws. While Solo is at times kind of boring, feels pretty unnecessary, and kind of doesn't add much to the SW universe... it at least makes sense. It at least features characters with clear motivations who are speaking and acting in a way that consistently approximates actual humans dealing with drama and/or conflict. The same cannot be said of almost anything below it IMO, especially in terms of concsistency. Force Awakens might have much higher highs, much better action, and some great moments & half-baked ideas... however, the lows are shockingly stupid if you really think about them at all.
ROTJ & TLJ have some slight issues -- some of the elements are too on the nose, or don't land perfectly -- but they engage with the overall mythos in a very deep, meaningful way, and they also both have some of the most brilliant scenes in the entire series.
Star Wars and Empire could be tied, basically 2 perfect movies. I put SW number one since it's the original... clean, thrilling, beautiful mythic storytelling.