• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Star Wars films! All eleven!

teezzy

Banned
I'm not obsessive, but Star Wars is absolutely my big cinematic IP that is guaranteed to get me excited each and every time. I don't like movie theaters, but I'll always go see a Star War.

tumblr_ns7lcmr1gr1sper5ko1_500.gif

I've given it a lot of thought, and I think this is what I'm going with. I genuinely enjoyed all the movies, but Rogue One has yet to really grow on me on a more personal level. It's lacking the charm that the other movies have. There's no warmth, and all the characters are forgettable and lacking in charisma. People argue that's the entire point, it's supposed to be a war movie, but man... it's just too cold for me. On top of that, you know exactly how it's going to end the entire time. I don't know, because people always praise how much they prefer iit above all else. Doesn't make much sense to me. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my least favorite overall. At least Attack of the Clones had the fun borderline buddy cop movie thing going for it. I also know people hate Last Jedi, but I've gone over numerous times how I adored just how much of a curve ball it was. Movie is weird, and damn near experimental at times. I loved it and if A New Hope and Empire weren't so damned iconic... maan, idk.

I'm really excited to see how Disney handles the Star Wars franchise from here on out. Way more interesting than Marvel, and while the new trilogy was wrapped up in a very sloppy manner (poor Finn), I'm just glad to see there's plenty more content where that came from. Hopefully it's not all TV stuffz.

Without further adieu:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Last Jedi
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Solo
9. The Rise of Skywalker
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Rogue One

How about you? How would you rank 'em all?

ManaByte

Gold Member
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Last Jedi
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Solo
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Rogue One

Mine is almost the same but with Rise of Skywalker and The Force Awakens swapped. TFA is just a fan film remake of A New Hope. I’d also put Rogue One higher, above Clones.

Stouffers

Banned
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Solo
6.The Rise of Skywalker
7.Rogue One
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace
10. The Last Jedi
11. Attack of the Clones

teezzy

Banned
Mine is almost the same but with Rise of Skywalker and The Force Awakens swapped. TFA is just a fan film remake of A New Hope. I’d also put Rogue One higher, above Clones.

I resented that when I first saw TFA in theaters, but after subsequent viewings, it's actually sorta charming.
People can rag on Disney Star Wars all they want, but each movie in the sequel trilogy is a competent spectacle from start to finish - even Rise of Skywalker, despite its whiplash editing.

200.gif

The Shift

Banned
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Return of the Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. Solo
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones
9. The Force Awakens
10. The Rise of Skywalker
11. The Last Jedi

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think the only one I haven't seen is Rogue One. And people say it's pretty good and gritty. Too bad I missed out so far.

1. Empire (snow battle awesome)
2. The first one (the final battle is still awesome even though it's cheap effects)
3. Solo (I think this movie got a bad wrap. I liked it. Emila Clarke what a sweetheart)
4. Return of Jedi (I actually don't even remember much anymore but I do remember liking it except too much Ewok shit. Boba Fett into the pit battle was cool. Carrie Fisher looking her best)

Tied for shit = the rest of them (esp. the ones made around 2000)

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
There's a 4k restoration of the original Star Wars print (4k77) floating around online and it's absolutely glorious.

Seeing the movie without all the 90s CGI Lucas added in the version I grew up with was awesome. The most impressive thing was how you could see the seams almost bursting but the way they projected this sense of wonderment with the limited tech back then is awfully impressive.

Lucas is underrated in general His debut, THX 1138, is wild. Like a more experimental Logan's Run.

d0cbd04c81e7352c178335d8f7c31976.gif

I think there's a reason Trent Reznor sampled it in The Downward Spiral.

bender

What time is it?
There's a 4k restoration of the original Star Wars print (4k77) floating around online and it's absolutely glorious.

Seeing the movie without all the 90s CGI Lucas added in the version I grew up with was awesome. The most impressive thing was how you could see the seams almost bursting but the way they projected this sense of wonderment with the limited tech back then is awfully impressive.

Lucas is underrated in general His debut, THX 1138, is wild. Like a more experimental Logan's Run.

d0cbd04c81e7352c178335d8f7c31976.gif

I think there's a reason Trent Reznor sampled it in The Downward Spiral.

Still amazes me that we can't get the originally trilogy on modern formats undoctored. Seems like that would print money..

People putting the new movies before phantom menace are imbeciles.
It’s one of those love to hate movies.

If you love decent to great actors turning in career worst performances, I can see appreciating The Phantom Menace.

Last edited:

Greedings

Still amazes me that we can't get the originally trilogy on modern formats undoctored. Seems like that would print money..

If you love decent to great actors turning in career worst performances, I can see appreciating The Phantom Menace.

I absolutely do. It’s hilarious how wooden the actors are.
It also really helps demonstrate that a good actor is simply just a puppet. No skill other than being good at doing what you’re told.

kunonabi

I'll go with my personal favorite rankings since Empire and Hope taking the top 2 spots will always be the objectively right answer.

1. Attack of the Clones
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Return of the Jedi

ROTS and ANH are honestly more of tie as I always have trouble picking between the two of them. ANH is just a perfect piece of pop cinema but I was more emotionally invested in Anakin's story and seeing the saga finally complete.

It kind of sucks having to put TPM at 5 since I actually really enjoy the film and it was the first new SW film I got to see in theatres.

MetalAlien

Banned
Ug I just watched the "enhanced" scene in A New Hope where they come into Mos Eisley. It looks SOOO bad. How could GL think that was an upgrade?

teezzy

Banned
I absolutely do. It’s hilarious how wooden the actors are.
It also really helps demonstrate that a good actor is simply just a puppet. No skill other than being good at doing what you’re told.

I can't find the link, because I wish I could source it and cite this more accurately, but I recently read that Lucas was attempting to capture a more classic acting style with the prequel trilogy. Like early Hollywood, and that's why it was a lot of the performances were as stilted and misguided as they were. He missed the mark, but he was shooting for something else entirely which never came across.

sol_bad

1. The Last Jedi
I think this had the best acting out of all the movies and the chemistry between Rey and Kylo is top notch. I love that it twists things on it's head and that all the heroes are so optimistic at the start and by the end of the film they have all royally fucked themselves over. I love that they all have learnt something from their actions.

2. The Force Awakens
Again I love the acting in this film and the action is top notch and exciting. Love the mystery box that JJ set up.

3. Empire Strikes Back
I almost put this as number 2 as like The Last Jedi it has a not happy ending. I really like these not happy endings. The story is far more interesting than the generic damsel in distress of the original film.

4. Revenge of the Sith
Seeing Anakin turn to Death Vader was a great cinematic experience and the story still holds up today. It has the most epic fight at the end and everyone's acting was pretty on point, some overacting here and there but it was serviceable, only took Lucas 2 whole films but he got there in the end.

5. Rogue One
It's just a blast of a film, what it lacks in characterisation it makes up for in beautiful visuals and action. It real is a beautiful looking film.

6. Solo
Another fun action romp that made me laugh quite a bit. It's a shame this films colour grading looks so abysmally ugly though, I have no idea what happened there. Donald Glover as Lando is the highlight for me and I loved his interactions with his droid LG-37.

7. Return of the Jedi
It's a fun film that contains 2 stories, the rescue of Han and then the destruction of the Death Star 2. Both ultimately are overly long and overstay their welcome IMO.

8. The Rise of Skywalker
As enjoyable as I found this film, Disney's meddling really did create a worse product and I'm salty we didn't get Colin Trevorrow's script after having read and watched about it. I honestly think the sequel trilogy would have turned out amazing if Disney stuck to their guns.

9. Attack of the Clones
Terrible robotic acting and seeing Anakin be a whinging little bitch was not fun. Having Padme fall on love with him after he slaughtered a tribe including women and children was weird. Awkward love scenes. Rough sand.

10. A New Hope
Lucas obviously kickstarted this whole shindig and I am forever grateful to him but this film is so slow and boring to watch these days. It's very hard to get through in a single sitting anymore. And I'm perfectly fine with slow burn films, just not this. Luke is also a whinging little bitch.

11. The Phantom Menace
The entire film feels pointless, they could have added 20 minutes to the start of Attack of the Clones to show them seeing and training little Ani. Better yet they could have put it in the opening crawl. No one gives a shite about politics in Star Wars and this film makes Palpatines plans seem even loopier. There are 700 different things that need to happen for Palpatine to become Emperor and they just seem to all happen and everything falls into place.

Going on a tangent here but the more I think of Attack of the Clones the more my head wants to explode. I mean if the assassin succeeded in killing Padme, it's game over, Obi-Wan would never have found the Clone Army and the Clone Army is instrumental to Palpatines plan. So was the assassin hired to not kill Padme?

1. Episode IV - A New Hope
2. Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
3. Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
4. Solo
5. Rogue One

6. Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
7. Episode II - Attack of the Clones

8. Episode VII - The Force Awakens
9. Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
10. Episode I - The Phantom Menace

11. Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Tschumi

Somewhere between bad and terrible.
u got a lol from me 10 pts

My list:

1) Empires Strikes Back - which childhood memory has more vibrations attached: vader's head in his recovery pod, or obi-wan kenobi's hut? The head.
2) Star Wars
3) Clone Wars - This was actually a really fun movie - despite the awful anakin-padme stuff.. the rest was good enough to carry it
4) Return of the Jedi - this can't be in my top 3 because of how damn merchandise'y it is
5) Phantom Menace - i enjoyed this one, i can still enjoy it to this day, and i loved almost every game that it spawned. jedi power battles omgaaawd what co-op
6) Ep 3
7) Ep 8
8) Ep 7
9) Ep 9

don't even remember the exact names of the trash

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Empire Strikes Back

2) Rogue One

3) Return of the Jedi

4) Star Wars

A big gap in quality, to the point I consider nothing below this point to be good.

5) Revenge of the Sith

6) Force Awakens

7) Attack of the Clones

8) Phantom Menace

Another big gap in quality, where everything below this point is pure shite.

9) Solo

10) Rise of Skywalker

11) Last Jedi

Overall, Star Wars is a bit wank.

1. Return of the Jedi (Slave Leia, Biker Scouts, family drama and all sorts of cool looking monsters. Its always been my favorite).

2. Empire Strikes Back (Hoth is amazing. The Yoda bits bored me to tears when I was a kid, but I appreciate them more now).

3. A New Hope (A great start to the series).

4. Phantom Menace (just for Darth Maul)

5. Solo (it was consistently okay)

6. Rogue One (just for the Vader bit mostly)

I dont really care to rank the other movies. They were either forgettable or outright bad.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Force Awakens
8. Attack of the Clones
9. The Last Jedi
10. The Rise of Skywalker

x. Solo // unranked since i haven't watched it

1-4 are the good ones
5-7 is watchable
8 is bad but not a total waste of time
9-10 i want to get time lost watching them back

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. Empire - it's Empire
2. New Hope - close second
3. Jedi - easily the weakest original but still top tier
4. Rogue One - second half (ish) is the best thing Disney has put into SW
5. Force Awakens - not bad but entirely too safe
6. The Last Jedi - would be fine if it wasn't a SW movie
7. Revenge of the Sith - the only halfway decent prequel
8. Solo - completely forgettable
9. Rise of Skywalker - a trainwreck
10. Phantom Menace - just no
11. Clones - lmao

MilkyJoe

1 Empire
2 Star War
3 Jedi

4e6f102085bf4a7fa3de2785c196f8fb.jpg

The prequels, I don't really think they merit ranking. but the last one was the worst.

Disney Star Wars is no more Star Wars than the wew Battlestar was Battlestar.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire
3. Hope.

The rest ranges from awful (the prequels) to boring (disney) It should have ended with Jedi as far as movies are concerned. Stick to games and books.

Martian

honestly, all of them are equally good/bad

i have never seen a good star wars, some are pretty bad tho

mandalorian is ok too

hiro_x

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Solo
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Rise of Skywalker
9. Revenge of the Sith
10. Attack of the Clones
11. The Last Jedi

BaneIsPain

1.Empire strikes back
2.A New Hope
3.Return of the Jedi
4.Revenge of Sith
5.Solo
6.Rogue One
7.The Force Awakens
8.The Phantom Menace
9.Attack of the Clones
10. The Last Jedi & The Rise of Skywalker

Please reboot sequel trilogy.

Amory

Idk if this is exactly right, it's been a while since I saw some of these. But for me it's something like

A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Solo
Revenge of the Sith
Rise of Skywalker
Attack of the Clones

Stuart360