• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Top 5 Sega arcade games of all time

K1Expwy

My favorites from yesteryear

Gain Ground
Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder
Rad Mobile
Daytona USA
Scud Race
F-Zero AX
Virtua Fighter 4
Virtual On OT
LA Machineguns
The House of the Dead
Virtua Cop 3
Spikeout
Ollie King
After Burner Climax

Too many classics to narrow down to just 5, sorry

1 Virtua Fighter 4 FT
2 Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
3 Virtua Fighter 2
4 Virtua Fighter 3 TB
5 Virtua Fighter

This fighting game is simply amazing. Virtua Fighter is flawless.

the_master

1) Crazy Taxi

Then in no particular order
2) Sega Rally (saga)
3) Golden Axe
4) L.A. Machineguns (saga)
5) Virtua Fighter6) Daytona
7) Virtua Cop (Saga)
8) Out Run

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There's no Yakuza on these lists but what have we seen from that series? Big game, ambitious but plays pretty arcady.

QvZi9I5.gif

DfV0z9D.gif

93KUErV.png

QLrnwZ7.jpg

HDeWBT8.jpg

cireza

No order, console ports only :
Outrun Online Arcade PS360
After Burner Climax PS360
Virtua Fighter 32X
Space Harrier 32X
Crazy Taxi Dreamcast
Die Hard Arcade Saturn
HOTD2 Dreamcast
Initial D Extreme Stage PS3
Sega Rally Saturn
Virtua Fighter 5 FS PS360
HOTD4 PS360

Never played but would love to see ports :
Shining Force Cross
Wild Riders

Last edited:

lachesis

Vitua Fighter 2 - at least that was the height of the Arcade scene for me anyway.
Daytona USA - multi linked one
After Burner II - an experience sitting in a moving cockpit
Out Run - splash wave!
Space Harrier - get ready!

sn0man

Vitua Fighter 2 - at least that was the height of the Arcade scene for me anyway.
Daytona USA - multi linked one
After Burner II - an experience sitting in a moving cockpit

Very close to mine; also very good reasoning. I think the ones you’ve selected also hold up even just 1 player against the computer or without the cockpit. With these lists I always tend to devolve into getting something from each category so...

House of The Dead 2 - It’s a great light gun game G.
Golden Axe - a beat em up with a cool setting that was distinct from the gritty NYC streets 1970s-80s vibe everyone else went for.

In my heart it was VF3 because of the cool ideas (uneven fighting stages) and it felt like Sega had reached a level beyond with the graphics. Though time has been kind to VF2 and it still felt like a pioneer.

An honorable mention for something from the Outrun series as it is timeless but I like Daytona for the vibe and multiplayer. Another honorable mention for Virtua On. Two linked up cabinets doing robot fighting against each other was pretty epic. One last honorable mention for Crazy Taxi as the idea of playing a car game but not focused on racing was really cool. I don’t know if it or the Harley or the big rig games came first.

MastaKiiLA

In no order:

Virtua Fighter 4
Sega Rally
Daytona USA
Virtua Cop
Virtua Tennis

I mostly preferred their 3D stuff, though their 2D hits like Outrun are still classics.

SkylineRKR

What do you think?

Daytona 2 is my number one. I still play it a lot on supermodel. It still looks amazing, sense of speed is sickening, track design is peak Sega creativity.

Virtua Cop 3 - its amazing and sadly lightgun games died on consoles when this came out.
House of the Dead 2 - My most played lightgun game next to Time Crisis 2. On both console and in the arcade.
Outrun 2 SP - Brilliant in the arcade, and I loved the somewhat flawed port to PS3 to bits. Criminal that it doesn't work on PS4.
Virtual On OT - I actually have this on PS4. Its every bit as amazing still. Got some decent matches online even.

And I want to include Virtua Fighter 3. I played it a lot in the arcade and its underrated. 5 FS is objectively better, but VF3 is my number one. Also played it a ton on DC, it really comes together with a stick. Luckily another friend loved it as well. Also, when this game hit our arcade I had never seen such amazing graphics ever before. This was the biggest graphical jump ever probably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom