• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rant about Remedy's Control

engstra

Scattering around your exposition dumps in easily miss-able pick ups that completely break the flow of the game is lazy and dumb. The devs must even think so if you could completely bypass them with no consequences. If its important to the story, it should be woven into the unmissable cutscenes. Its compounded by the fact that some of them are just absolutely nothing and don't even have exposition in them, they are just there as a collectable that might as well be coins.
There's a lot of em for sure but I've been picking up and reading them all and that's honestly been the highlight for me storywise. Love reading the snippets and reports of strange occurrences with the AWEs. Just got to the Panopticon and it was really satisfying to see all these objects I've been reading about in person.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Eternal21

I also started playing it only because it was free on PS+, and regret my decision. I'm one of those OCD people that has to get all the trophies in the game before moving on to the next one, and now I'm stuck playing this very 'meh' game for the next week or so. The traversal animation is also janky as fuck. TLOU 2 spoiled me.

Last edited:

Keihart

Haven't even play the game but OP reads like "game is too hard, make it easier" to which i guess i can say just git gud. Or maybe the game does have problems in it's design and OP just doesn't know how to identify and articulate it's real problems.

Zeeed

When I saw the thread title I was expecting at least a point about the confusing map.
It's a mini-game in itself to figure out where you are in the map and where you need to go.

Other then the map, I thought Control was pretty solid.

ACESHIGH

Banned
This game was a letdown for me since Alan Wake and Quantum break are two of my favourite story based games.

I don't know how to describe it but everything feels "gamey" and bad put together. I feel like the devs had a brainstorming session and started to throw shit at the wall to see what sticked without any reason or rhyme.

- We don't have budget to tell our story through cutscenes so let's tell it through scattered pieces of paper in an Uber futuristic office building that leaves highly confidential info scattered around.

- we need to extend the games playtime instead of making a solid linear game because metroidvania is all the rage now and kids want their money's worth. We wouldn't want to look bad on "how long to beat" either so let's add lots of backtracking and respawning enemies.

- oh, we forgot about designing a map for our 3D metroidvania. We are about to publish the game... well let's leave map design to this intern, he will know what to do.

- what's more important in a third person action game? Proper animations and controls for our main character or ray traced reflections? Let's go with reflections boys.

This game was so dissapointed that made me question what the point of upgrading my pc or getting a new console if most studios can't put together QUALITY high end looking games. Game studios should stop trying to bite more than they can chew when designing their games.

Instead of releasing a mediocre 20hs game, how about a 6 hour quality one that I can replay down the line?

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The upgrade thing really sucks, but it's not a big deal. Chances are that you suck more because the game is not that hard

I really agree, and I find the combat extremely boring and repetitive. If only you stick behind cover behind, but no. To me the game suffers greatly because of this and is unbearably boring. 🤷‍♂️

+ all the things in OP

And the story... Don't get me started

Last edited:
LOL. Game is great. Good luck with the AWE DLC if your struggling already. It'll kick your ass so hard you won't know what the fuck hit you.
I’m playing through Investigation sector right now and it’s easily best part of the game, challenging but not that much. Foundation, jukebox thing? I have no idea how do you beat that in allotted time, it’s insane.

BbMajor7th

Yeah, I'll be honest I found it quite boring. The repetitive setting and even more repetitive encounter design do little to elevate the atmosphere and strong concepts base. The real shame is the story execution: the constant interior monologues (particularly the second-person style adopted for address Polaris), strenuous cinematography (we don't and endless string of ECUs to understand that a character is thinking rather than speaking out loud) and littered expositional dumps make the storytelling feel decidedly amateurish.

Exactly. I would've preferred a more seamless experience like Uncharted or games like that. The game doesn't need to have so much going on in the menu as if it were an RPG.

Do you think they originally wanted to make it an RPG Lite and that's how some of those design elements stuck?

MiguelItUp

I thought Control was a fine game, but I put it down after putting several hours into it, and stopped caring. It just kind of started feeling like a chore to me, unsure why. The shooting felt good, the physics were cool, abilities and all that were as well. Just something about the overall gameplay flow was just so meh to me unfortunately.

MiguelItUp

What is it about ranting over good games on this forum, Doom eternal and now control? Go back to playing something that doesn't challenge you in any way.
I mean, it's a forum full of various personalities and opinions. It should be expected. Personally I find it interesting to see people converse about their differences, as long as it's constructive. 🤷‍♂️

ACESHIGH

Banned
make the storytelling feel decidedly amateurish

Yep. Such a letdown after quantum break which was a pretty good story and well paced. The gaming industry seems to have a lot of room for amateur writers or hollywood rejects looking for easy money

The story felt like something an edgy teenager who just finished watching Evangelion would put together. Can't we have room for decent simple storytelling in gaming? Why stories have to be either non existant or convoluted as fuck?

I think that since dark souls, gaming writers try to put convoluted stories also to have a legion of you tubers speculating about the "lore" in a series of 40 min videos. Basically the gaming industry smelling its own farts.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Yep. Such a letdown after quantum break which was a pretty good story and well paced. The gaming industry seems to have a lot of room for amateur writers or hollywood rejects looking for easy money

The story felt like something an edgy teenager who just finished watching Evangelion would put together. Can't we have room for decent simple storytelling in gaming? Why stories have to be either non existant or convoluted as fuck?

I think that since dark souls, gaming writers try to put convoluted stories also to have a legion of you tubers speculating about the "lore" in a series of 40 min videos. Basically the gaming industry smelling its own farts.

I really can't disagree on the whole. I love Dark Souls and I love their brand of storytelling, but there's a knack to it and you can't just retrofit it into everything (a bit like dodge-roll, parry combat), it has to be a thoughtful part of the whole. I don't hold video games in general to a particularly high standard when it comes to storytelling and when they do that themselves (see TLOU Pt. II) they invariably fall short. That said, if a game is hanging a lot of it's appeal on it (like Control so obviously is) then it better be at least half way decent.

ClosBSAS

its remedy´s second best game. after quantum break....maybe alan wake can top it but not even....its such a great action game, great gunplay, great mechanics.

Last edited:
Just finished the game and my god was I glad it was over. This story is complete bonkers and never in a good way. It’s like, yeah, they had interesting and original ideas in their heads but implementation is just so hard to swallow or enjoy. I couldn’t care less at the end of it all, it was bunch of gibberish and bullshit throughout. X-Files you’re not, sorry.

Gameplay was fine, 7/10, telekinesis and levitate saved the day. Graphics - gray, gray and more gray, lots of cubes, halls and offices and red dangers. Whatever. Jesse is hard to look at wish we got that Director look right from the startbut fine personality-wise, I usually liked her comments and observations.

AWE DLC is great.

Armorian

Banned
I don't get you OP, at first I was like you and game punished me in some points but if you allocate your UP points in energy capacity and throw power MC becomes overpowered quickly. At some point you can kill bosses in like 2, 3 (multi) throws:

ACtC-3eH0fvdt9322K7k0DfPfbplfulPg8c4o2ERz3oP_EuKcHWCM-YOAfKA9dE9M0T_KxqavWwOTmhT94S8FMk8YduWsjKnHJerK2WGqKWecnJzmfFyLJ4qftJjXJh0rd5vv7q8pwrFJgINUfW11QcREiqw=w1266-h534-no

You just need to do side missions, visit janitor. I really like this game, the best Remedy stuff in years (better than AW IMO).

Self

Just finished the game and my god was I glad it was over. This story is complete bonkers and never in a good way. It’s like, yeah, they had interesting and original ideas in their heads but implementation is just so hard to swallow or enjoy. I couldn’t care less at the end of it all, it was bunch of gibberish and bullshit throughout. X-Files you’re not, sorry.

Gameplay was fine, 7/10, telekinesis and levitate saved the day. Graphics - gray, gray and more gray, lots of cubes, halls and offices and red dangers. Whatever. Jesse is hard to look at wish we got that Director look right from the startbut fine personality-wise, I usually liked her comments and observations.

AWE DLC is great.

It's really weird with Control: The overall story is amateurish bullshit at best, but the lore is somehow intriguing and interesting. It adds to the weird atmosphere.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I don't get you OP, at first I was like you and game punished me in some points but if you allocate your UP points in energy capacity and throw power MC becomes overpowered quickly. At some point you can kill bosses in like 2, 3 (multi) throws:

ACtC-3eH0fvdt9322K7k0DfPfbplfulPg8c4o2ERz3oP_EuKcHWCM-YOAfKA9dE9M0T_KxqavWwOTmhT94S8FMk8YduWsjKnHJerK2WGqKWecnJzmfFyLJ4qftJjXJh0rd5vv7q8pwrFJgINUfW11QcREiqw=w1266-h534-no

You just need to do side missions, visit janitor. I really like this game, the best Remedy stuff in years (better than AW IMO).

Remember the rules of engagement.
If i am bad at the game then the game must be bad.

DJTHEGREY

The Map and the crashes are my only complaints.... If it didn't pretty much reload me in almost the same spot so quickly I wouldn't have finished the game. Love the game outside of that. Truly the worst map I ever experienced for sure

Warablo

I've played some of it, but like Quantum Break and Alan Wake a lot more so far. Don't feel much urge to go back to it. Remedy does better at telling stories than just throwing gameplay at everything.

Kydd BlaZe

I’m at the point where I just want it to be over so I can delete it. I just got the mind control ability, so I guess I’m still pretty early on.
Pretty much my exact experience with Control. Hated every second of it, but forced myself to complete it because everyone said it was the best game ever or some shit, and I’m a huge fan of Remedy. Thought maybe I was just missing something but the game never clicked for me. Was so happy to finish it and get it the fuck off of my harddrive.

Before going into it, I was super excited for all of the Alan Wake connections, but after playing it I just decided to watch the AWE DLC playthrough on Youtube.

Last edited:
What is it about ranting over good games on this forum, Doom eternal and now control? Go back to playing something that doesn't challenge you in any way.

Lol. What a lazy post. Did your feelings get hurt because people are not universally praising your favorite game? Many people in this thread have said why they don’t like this particular video game. They have articulated they opinions and provided solid reasons. How about addressing some of those points and not berating the players and their skills.

I’m playing through Investigation sector right now and it’s easily best part of the game, challenging but not that much. Foundation, jukebox thing? I have no idea how do you beat that in allotted time, it’s insane.

Agreed. The boss encounters in that DLC are legit full on survival horror. Really quite intense stuff.

As for the jukebox, I played the first mode and beat it. It took what felt like forever. I have no interest in even trying the timed version.

SnapShot

You need take your time with the game, explore the areas and complete side quests to get more ability points, don't just rush through everything.

Last edited:
I thought is was great game, considering the small budget they had, hopefully with epics partnership they have more money to make control 2 much better.

Last edited:

Kupfer

The game is perfect for what it is.
It's not like you have to like. It's not that I have to like it.
But the game has integrity.
I can't wait to continue.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Gotta agree with the OP. Gave it the good ole college try. I really wanted to like it since it’s generally a good looking game and the telekinesis powers looked cool, but the inconsistent frame rate, the frustrating as hell controls- I mean why do I feel like I have to fight with my controller to aim a damn gun!

The office building setting was cool for like the first hour. And I hate all the red. Red is an off-putting color. It’s not inviting at all. In limited usage it’s ok but damn! It’s everywhere in this game.

Oh, and the loading times are horrible. Some of the worst I’ve ever experience on the PS4.

Game is just not for me. I tried though, GAF, I really did.

Last edited:

engstra

Does anyone know if Dr. Yoshimi Tokui's Guided Imagery Experience is available on the ps5 Ultimate Edition? I've completed the game and really enjoyed it but just found out about this mission, not finding anything to trigger it in the sensory deprivation chamber

Rippa

I’m also just not getting any hook from the gameplay/gun play.

While finishing the game up, I gave up on ADS/zoom for precise shots and instead blind fired.

I found I was way more accurate doing so. After that the game was a breeze and probably died just a handful of times.

It’s an “okay” game in my opinion, just not GOTY worthy or worthy of all the hype it received.

RPS37

While finishing the game up, I gave up on ADS/zoom for precise shots and instead blind fired.

I found I was way more accurate doing so. After that the game was a breeze and probably died just a handful of times.

It’s an “okay” game in my opinion, just not GOTY worthy or worthy of all the hype it received.
ADS is just pointless, eh?

Shubh_C63

The game is amazing, 9/10 for me.

But I gotta ask people who says the graphics aren't that good. Man I was completely taken in by the surrounding/atmosphere of that game. That claustrophobia, the destruction you leave after the battle, that Launch ability everytime.

But the expansion made the game tad too long. And boss fights were a bitch (though optional).

GymWolf

It is not an easy piece of art to consume.

Most of it lies in front of you on your way through the game.

No consequences? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
You posted naive assumptions about the story without even enjoying all the game has to offer.

I think they just tried to lower the cost for voice acting and animation.

Sure some of the things you find are redundant.

But have you even watched all episodes of the threshold kids?

Or witnessed the outstanding performance of Matthew Porretta?

I don't think so...
The cartoon with the kids was easily the creepiest thing in the game.

It’s like every paranormal thing you can think of put in one game, madness. Playing through Foundation and there’s a lot of content in this game no doubt, lots of side missions and stuff. I’m a bit more positive towards it now (hope it’s not Stockholm syndrome), solid 7.5-8/10 game. You definitely owe it to yourself to at least try it.

Top Bottom