• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rant about Remedy's Control

Bridges

Well, I've got a complaint about The Foundation

Minor spoilers I guess

I just got the second "key" and after finishing I was supposed to do another Astral Plane Challenge to get Fracture (already got Shape). The game crashes on me, as it has done pretty consistently, and upon reloading it spits me back out to the caves, gives me all the rewards for the second "key" but does not give me the second ability or seemingly any way to go back and do the challenge to get it. Without Fracture I can't get to the other two objectives so I'm stuck.

I love the game but this has me pretty miffed to be potentially locked out of progressing halfway through the endgame DLC. Does anyone know of a way to fix this or am I totally screwed here?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Just completed control. I personally felt it was a fun if not flawed experience. I thought the graphics were pretty good with the exception of uncanny valley for the cast of rendered main characters. I enjoyed the difficulty and felt pretty powerful by the end though still not invulnerable. I haven't played through the dlc sections and don't think I will at this point, but I'm glad it was on ps+ because I had this one on my watch list for a while.

Graphics - I ended up playing a majority of the game in the 30fps RT mode. The frame-rate was a bummer, but the benefit to lighting and reflections was absolutely stellar. If only the characters weren't so disturbing to look at.

Audio - This was all over the place and I oscillated between thinking the audio was well designed and feeling like there were sound bugs throughout. I didn't care for the gen x hair metal section, but do think it's believable for a European janitor to enjoy it.

Story - Interesting, but it never really reached that next level for me. I have a few thoughts on what could have made it better, but maybe it just requires me to do more of the side missions and read the collectables.

I really wish they could have had a companion app for reading the collectables and listening to the clips because there was so much material I just stopped reading it early on.

EDIT: Oh also one of the unmissable trophies for competing mission 7 never unlocked so that was a bummer.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Just completed control. I personally felt it was a fun if not flawed experience. I thought the graphics were pretty good with the exception of uncanny valley for the cast of rendered main characters. I enjoyed the difficulty and felt pretty powerful by the end though still not invulnerable. I haven't played through the dlc sections and don't think I will at this point, but I'm glad it was on ps+ because I had this one on my watch list for a while.

Graphics - I ended up playing a majority of the game in the 30fps RT mode. The frame-rate was a bummer, but the benefit to lighting and reflections was absolutely stellar. If only the characters weren't so disturbing to look at.

Audio - This was all over the place and I oscillated between thinking the audio was well designed and feeling like there were sound bugs throughout. I didn't care for the gen x hair metal section, but do think it's believable for a European janitor to enjoy it.

Story - Interesting, but it never really reached that next level for me. I have a few thoughts on what could have made it better, but maybe it just requires me to do more of the side missions and read the collectables.

I really wish they could have had a companion app for reading the collectables and listening to the clips because there was so much material I just stopped reading it early on.

EDIT: Oh also one of the unmissable trophies for competing mission 7 never unlocked so that was a bummer.
You absolutely have to read the collectibles in order to get a lot of context to what the game is showing you. It's a lot of reading, but it adds a TON of flavor to the game. I've been playing it again after putting it down after a few hours but this time I'm reading everything and I'm enjoying the story SO much more now.

JSoup

Banned
You absolutely have to read the collectibles in order to get a lot of context to what the game is showing you. It's a lot of reading, but it adds a TON of flavor to the game. I've been playing it again after putting it down after a few hours but this time I'm reading everything and I'm enjoying the story SO much more now.

In particular, I really liked the idea of the dead letter room once I wrapped my head around it.

engstra

Absolutley, I think someone in the thread already nailed it on the head. The actual story in the game is pretty mediocre but the world and lore around it is really cool.

Termite

Absolutley, I think someone in the thread already nailed it on the head. The actual story in the game is pretty mediocre but the world and lore around it is really cool.
Huh, I just beat both the DLCs the other day and while I really liked the game, I thought most of the collectable papers and lore in them were awful. I disliked them so much I started letting them build up and then read them in bulk every two hours. The only good ones were the Dead Letters - which were great.

At least the main story has some intrigue with the nature of Polaris and the board and whether each is a good force or a bad one. The Darling videos were great. But the collectables needed work.

assurdum

Banned
Finished the last dlc connected to Alan Wake. In my opinion it's one of the best TPS of the generation, if not the best, so fun but I understand if people doesn't like it. It's not exactly easy accessible, the story is eccentric (very David Lynch"esque") and the aim feel imprecise. But I loved it so much and probably I will finish all the side missions. Quite curious to see the next game of Remedy after this surprise.

FritzJ92

I hate that it crashes a lot, the health bar should be dynamic, so should the active mission indicator “, because why do I need to see them if I’m just running around. Game is alright, but I wouldn’t call it crazy fun.

rahuljx

My biggest gripes are the character face models are not up to the mark. The storytelling could have been good if it wasn’t just done through collectibles.I don’t know who thinks this style of storytelling is good? What does the player do if he isn’t using a guide and misses some of the story files?

sojuwarrior

the game was so easy for me to the point I had to ensure I didnt have assist mode turned on.
but I absolutely hate the game - pretentious story and really unlikeable characters

Top Bottom