• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rant. anger. venting

yesterday my main computer broke. It is an old dual core running win xp. When I got it Vista was already in the market, but everybody was still buying xp because of Vista problems. The thing is I left it turned on, when to watch TV for an hour or so, and when I got back it was off. When I tried to turn it on again it went off right then, and when I tried to turn it on again it beeped, but would not start anything, and it would not turn off even by holding the power button. Today I tried to turn it on by disconnecting video card and using the mo-bo video output, tried turning it on by disconnecting the memory chips in alternate order and nothing, so is not video card or memory it seems. Probably processor. Rather than the computer itself I am worried about the programs and licenses, which are linked to that device. I am writing this on a recent macbook pro and I am supposed to receive soon a win 10 device with a current cpu, 1 tera hard drive and touch screen, and I even have other devices built with the same hardware references so I could just swap hardware pieces if needed, but if I change the processor, which is my main worry, the licenses may stop working (my guess is that they are linked to the cpu serial number, but just a guess, or else you could just copy all files in other computer and it would work without buying a license)

There is also the thing that because of current situation, I can not just go to a shop and see if a technician with enough hardware inventory can do something to see if it can be saved using the right spares. Is not the end of the world for me yet, and I already had plans to move to standards and free tools so I would not depend on brands, devices or specific tools or formats, but those were plans, this got me with my pants down, and even if I already have a plan, this could take me back months, since I am not willing yet to make aside projects in which I have been working for months or years

Right now I just want to stuff myself with dark chocolate (not that I have any available, but still is what I would like to do), or do something to cheer me up, and then I'll try to cool down and make a plan

I thought my PC brick'd last night. Was loading into a game and my GPU shut down, monitor went blank, couldn't get a signal, PC was still on and running. Had to manually power off and reboot. When I rebooted I got stuck in bios screen saying "overlocking failed" and was like "uh oh," then got the blue screen trying to load into windows. After another reboot, everything was back to normal.

For a moment, when I thought "welp my PC is dead" I was starting to feel pretty frustrated mostly just at what a hassle it would be to have to build a new one right now, a couple months before I was planning to. PC/electronics trouble can be a pain in the ass, for sure

As far as stuffing yourself with dark chocolate, can't help ya there. I hate dark chocolate.

But do whatever makes you happy, broski

Life Rips.

justAjohn

The anger and the fire it stirs within you are very stimulating. Playing with it and (attempting to) control it is one of the few real joys you can experience.

Also separate backups.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Eat the dark chocolate OP
I thought my PC brick'd last night. Was loading into a game and my GPU shut down, monitor went blank, couldn't get a signal, PC was still on and running. Had to manually power off and reboot. When I rebooted I got stuck in bios screen saying "overlocking failed" and was like "uh oh," then got the blue screen trying to load into windows. After another reboot, everything was back to normal.

For a moment, when I thought "welp my PC is dead" I was starting to feel pretty frustrated mostly just at what a hassle it would be to have to build a new one right now, a couple months before I was planning to. PC/electronics trouble can be a pain in the ass, for sure

As far as stuffing yourself with dark chocolate, can't help ya there. I hate dark chocolate.

But do whatever makes you happy, broski

Life Rips.

Gotta blend it with lotta frozen berries and orange juice and couple lemons to kill the bitterness and make it sweet and make it easier to digest

Last edited:
also cult you fucking monster, not a fan of dark chocolate?

giphy.gif

Only chocolate I can handle is light/milk chocolate that is just a thing layer, like on a candy bar *twix, snickers, etc). I can't just straight up eat chocolate cake, or chocolate ice cream, etc. Cookies n cream, or a mix of flavors, yeah I'll do it, but straight up chocolate is just not something I can get down with.

Vengrim

yesterday my main computer broke. It is an old dual core running win xp. When I got it Vista was already in the market, but everybody was still buying xp because of Vista problems. The thing is I left it turned on, when to watch TV for an hour or so, and when I got back it was off. When I tried to turn it on again it went off right then, and when I tried to turn it on again it beeped, but would not start anything, and it would not turn off even by holding the power button. Today I tried to turn it on by disconnecting video card and using the mo-bo video output, tried turning it on by disconnecting the memory chips in alternate order and nothing, so is not video card or memory it seems. Probably processor. Rather than the computer itself I am worried about the programs and licenses, which are linked to that device. I am writing this on a recent macbook pro and I am supposed to receive soon a win 10 device with a current cpu, 1 tera hard drive and touch screen, and I even have other devices built with the same hardware references so I could just swap hardware pieces if needed, but if I change the processor, which is my main worry, the licenses may stop working (my guess is that they are linked to the cpu serial number, but just a guess, or else you could just copy all files in other computer and it would work without buying a license)

On a machine that old, I'd make sure it's not just the power supply. It might even partially turn on but just can't create the oomph needed to go the distance anymore.

Last edited:

Pejo

If i was you, i would put some lipstick on, have a shower and then jerk off with body wash as lube
This is the same tech advice I give all of my friends. +1 to this, OP.

Also, I checked the date on the OP like 5 times to see if this thread was made in the last 2 decades.

Also also, it's not going to fix all of your problems, but you can buy one of these and just pull the hard drive to recover files etc. It just mounts the drive as the next available drive letter and lets you browse. https://www.newegg.com/wavlink-wl-s..._re=USB_sata_drive-_-9SIA6PF7U20641-_-Product

Top Bottom