• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapper 2 Milly Sues Epic Games For Stealing His Dance.

Steez

You people are so fucking petty, it's incredible. Let the man get his bag, he invented the dance. How does it matter that Fortnite made it popular?

If this was about some niche japanese dev getting his game idea stolen, y'all be up in arms, but since this is a shitty rapper, it's whatever.

Seems to be a pretty easily identifiable dance. On top of that, dance is an art form too, makes sense you can have copyright on that. Epic needs to either remove it or pay up. If you draw a new character and some megacorp takes it for themselves, would you be happy they "popularised" it? I sure as hell wouldn't be. Try becoming an artist for a change and see how you hold up when you see your creations being offered by a litany of assholes on sites like Redbubble and Ebay or whatever.

cryptoadam

Banned
The bolded isn't true. 10 year old white kids are on YouTube too. They like hip-hop also. Lots of white kids knew of the dance before it was in Fortnite. And there's no way Soujaboy is coming out with a console is he?

TBH I don't got great dance moves so I wouldn't watch much Youtube vids about it LOL.

And yes Souljaboy is making a console, but its basically an emulator box. Don't know how legal it is because he is saying it will come with 3000 games from NES/SNES to PS2. So its some ROMS and public emulators, a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Vaev

What about this one? https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/20/scrubs-actor-is-pissed-that-fortnite-stole-his-dance-too/

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Dunki

You people are so fucking petty, it's incredible. Let the man get his bag, he invented the dance. How does it matter that Fortnite made it popular?

If this was about some niche japanese dev getting his game idea stolen, y'all be up in arms, but since this is a shitty rapper, it's whatever.
No he did not. He got it from someone in his hood he does not even remember who it was. Watch the video I posted on the first page. He did not invent anything.

Arkage

Banned
Yeah, I know.

I would understand this complaint, if this was real "cultural appropriation" Like taking a hundreds of years old dance routine from a distinguished "culture" But this is just dancing, and Hip-hop culture and such is not in my opinion exclusive to a certain set of people.

Like, how the hell do you prove a dance move? If it were a routine, like lasted for minutes (macarena, los ketchup (?) dance for example, dances that you associate immidietly with a certain song,)

It has nothing to do with making a dance "exclusive" for a racial community. It has to do with Epic printing money by lifting already popular and well-known dance moves from the people who actually created them, and not paying them anything in return. It's fucking shitty.

No he did not. He got it from someone in his hood he does not even remember who it was. Watch the video I posted on the first page. He did not invent anything.

The dance has to be fixed in a tangible object (recorded or notated) to claim copywrite. Unless the person he got it from recorded himself doing it or wrote down how to do it prior to this rapper's video, your point is irrelevant.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
:messenger_grinning_squinting:

on a serious note I do think they should at least credit the origin, maybe name it after them or some other nod.

It has nothing to do with making a dance "exclusive" for a racial community. It has to do with Epic printing money by lifting already popular and well-known dance moves from the people who actually created them, and not paying them anything in return. It's fucking shitty.

The bear minimum Epic could have done is do what Vaev Vaev said. Instead of giving it a "Fortnite" name, they should have named it after the real dance name. Or gave some kind of nod. It looks terrible to appropriate a dance move like this, and then name it as if it was your own.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The bear minimum Epic could have done is do what Vaev Vaev said. Instead of giving it a "Fortnite" name, they should have named it after the real dance name. Or gave some kind of nod. It looks terrible to appropriate a dance move like this, and then name it as if it was your own.

I wonder if the dance emotes were outsourced to Tencent. ;)

Top Bottom