• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapper Nelly arrested after rape accusation

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wasn't Freddie Gibbs also arrested and charged last year and did time and it turned out he never did a thing?

Like others here have said let's wait for facts and certainly not jump to any conclusions. Chances of this being a case similar to Gibbs are just as big as they are not.

Just saw the two videos. Since someone here mentioned Europeans. I'm Dutch and I would say it's a bit...... weird, unusual. I mean how young is that little girl? Yeah I can see why people are like "wtf" about that. So it's some kind of act he does during every show of his?

Also, isn't that girl a bit too young for a Nelly show?
Nelly kind of turned mainstream R&B recently. My guess is that he was pandering to the audience. It doesn't really play that well for a lot of reasons.

I doubt that he's intending to go full creeper in front of a live audience.

Budi

Chances of this being a case similar to Gibbs are just as big as they are not.
While I agree that people don't need to judge Nelly yet, I don't think this is true at all. Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but false accusations aren't anywhere as common as when reported rape has happened. Especially unreported rape is much more common than false accusations.

JaMarco

Wasn't Freddie Gibbs also arrested and charged last year and did time and it turned out he never did a thing?

Like others here have said let's wait for facts and certainly not jump to any conclusions. Chances of this being a case similar to Gibbs are just as big as they are not.
THERES NO SUCH THING AS FALSE RAPE ACCUSATIONS. BURN NELLY NOW.

Forward

I really, really like the idea of "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law".

Ideally that would involve a fair and impartial jury.

Crazy, I realize.

Unbounded

Not every time, I guess?
If a girl changes her mind half way through and wants to stop, you are now raping her in her mind

Everyone is dogpiling the poster for this but they seem to completely ignore that it was posted in response to a comment about rape being about power.

They were literally just pointing out a hypothetical scenario where it would still be considered rape but not necessarily about power in response to another poster.

Y'all need to chill.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's really no reason to go extreme in one direction or the other.

"BURN HIS DICK OFF" and "BITCHES BE LYIN YO" are both unnecessary right now.

Everyone is dogpiling the poster for this but they seem to completely ignore that it was posted in response to a comment about rape being about power.

They were literally just pointing out a hypothetical scenario where it would still be considered rape but not necessarily about power in response to another poster.

Y'all need to chill.
Sorry but "in her mind" implies there's a chance you aren't raping her in reality.

Nelly kind of turned mainstream R&B recently. My guess is that he was pandering to the audience. It doesn't really play that well for a lot of reasons.

I doubt that he's intending to go full creeper in front of a live audience.

True man. I don't believe that either but I can't deny that the videos are odd. At first all seems fine, the two girls are shy but that's pretty normal and he chats a little with them but the hair thing is not what he should have done, really not.

But again, these parents taking their young girl to a Nelly show. That is goddamn off too.

Oh what is this talk about a Springsteen video?

TheContact

The dudes a fucking creep. What the fuck was he trying to do to those girls? Even if he’s not a pedo that’s just weird AF for a grown man to be doing that to a little girl.

No one wants to admit they were raped. I definitely believe this girl. Fuck Nelly.

Unbounded

Sorry but "in her mind" implies there's a chance you aren't raping her in reality.

The poster clarified this earlier in the thread as well. They just weren't exactly clear about their meaning at first.

As far as the situation went according to that poster, consent was revoked, but not verbally. Hence the "in her mind" bit.

Jumping straight to the assumption that she must be lying, just because he's a celebrity, is some bullshit though.

In these cases it's just best to not jump to any conclusions really and just await the facts but sadly that never happens. There are examples of rappers doing time for something they didn't do. I am almost 100% certain 2pac didn't do a thing and neither did Gibbs.

Let's wait and see. Probably gonna take a while.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Got a source for that statistic?

Forward

If he did it, I hope he is convicted and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

If he is innocent, I hope he is exhonorated.

It is pretty simple.

Got a source for that statistic?

It's simple logic if you ask me. Let me ask you this; why would the chance of Nelly being a rapist be bigger/more likely than this woman telling a lie? I see no reason to say I believe one of these two more. Not taking any sides here.

There have been quite a bit of cases in the past where one thing was said and the other turned out to be true. If possible I'll do my own research and then I can maybe give my view on it, but certainly not gonna jump to any conclusions.

mavo

Banned
Assuming anything without being directly involved in the case is pretty much nonsenical, until the verdict.

It is, but there is also the fact nobody here is a jury or a judge in the case so is not like is such a harmful thing.

Night.Ninja

Banned

picard.png

cameron

I really, really like the idea of "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law".

Ideally that would involve a fair and impartial jury.

Crazy, I realize.

What are your thoughts on Bill Cosby?

If he did it, I hope he is convicted and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

If he is innocent, I hope he is exhonorated.
If he did it, sexual assault is still difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal case. Especially if the defense is that it was consensual.

It is pretty simple.
Cases like these are never simple. Crazy, I realize.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Well, I am deleting his I am Number 1 from my playlist. And I will no longer be watch R.H.O.H if he is on the next season. I can't support someone like this.

Forward

Touching and twirling tween girls' hair is a trifle... outside the realm of normative behavior, I will 100% grant you.

That shit is straight fucked up.

It doess not correlate to being a rapist, but it damned sure does not help him out in the court of public opinion.

It is a BAD look.

Stop being a jerk?

Stop projecting?

Innocent until proven guilty IS the rule of law in the U.S.

If you don't like that, well, that speaks to your own deep-seated issues.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The short length of time between the crime and the arrest is pretty significant here. If it was about money I would have expected it to drag out for awhile. Law enforcement took her story seriously (which they don't always do, especially with celebs). Then there is the fact that the lawyer made the statement and not Nelly himself. It's sounding pretty likely that something untoward happened. I'd say more likely than not.

lenovox1

True man. I don't believe that either but I can't deny that the videos are odd. At first all seems fine, the two girls are shy but that's pretty normal and he chats a little with them but the hair thing is not what he should have done, really not.

But again, these parents taking their young girl to a Nelly show. That is goddamn off too.

Oh what is this talk about a Springsteen video?

They're not going to a Nelly show. He was opening for Florida Georgia Line. There was one single where they had him feature (Cruise) that was a pop radio and country radio hit, but the audiences don't intersect otherwise.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The short length of time between the crime and the arrest is pretty significant here. If it was about money I would have expected it to drag out for awhile. Law enforcement took her story seriously (which they don't always do, especially with celebs). Then there is the fact that the lawyer made the statement and not Nelly himself. It's sounding pretty likely that something untoward happened. I'd say more likely than not.

The first thing a lawyer tells you is "SHUT THE FUCK UP, I GOT THIS", so I wouldn't look too deeply into that.

Hesh

Not every time, I guess?
If a girl changes her mind half way through and wants to stop, you are now raping her in her mind

Um, if you're having consensual sex with someone that during the act tells you to stop, and you don't stop? That's rape, bud. Sex isn't an "all sales final" transaction.

Released with no charges filed.. almost like he didn't do anything and cops arrest black guys falsely all the time. I wonder when all the " well they arrested him so there must be a reason" people will come back.

Nowise10

Released with no charges filed.. almost like he didn't do anything and cops arrest black guys falsely all the time. I wonder when all the " well they arrested him so there must be a reason" people will come back.

He got accused of raping a girl. How are you somehow pinning this on the police?

Velcro Fly

And if they don't arrest him after these accusations people would accuse the police of not believing women who come forward. There is no winning here. If there is evidence of this I hope it comes out and he is found guilty in a court of law.

conpfreak

People stated earlier that if he was arrested then there must be evidence. He wasn't charged so that throws that kinda thought out the window.

Yeah, the reactions in this thread are embarrassing considering how little we knew at the time the story was posted. Do better next time, GAF.

Top Bottom