• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raptr accounts compromised

yatesl

I've just received an email from Raptr. Some users may use them to aggregate achievements, and they also partner with AMD for their "GeForce Experience" type program.

Maintaining the highest level of security around your Raptr account information is of the utmost importance to us, so we're very sorry to inform you that some Raptr user data may have been recently compromised in an attack similar to hacking activities that have targeted other high-profile sites and services such as Xbox Live and Sony's PlayStation Network.

User names, email addresses, password hashes, and some first and last names may have been accessed. This means that although the passwords are hashed, users with weak passwords are vulnerable to unauthorized access. It's important to note that our two-factor authentication system used for redeeming Raptr Reward Points ensures that even if your Raptr account was among those compromised, the points you've earned as a Raptr member are protected.

Although the potential risk to Raptr users is pretty minimal, we urge you to access any accounts on other sites and services in which you use the same login and password associated with your Raptr account and change the related password(s) immediately.

Reset your password at your earliest convenience in order to help safeguard your Raptr account. In doing so, we strongly advise you to use a password that is reasonably complex and not associated with another site/service account.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Raptr's Customer Service group.

We're extremely sorry about this situation and are committed to further improving account security going forward.

Sincerely,

Dennis Fong
Founder & CEO, Raptr

terrible

Banned
It feels like I have to change a password somewhere once a month due to junk like this. I don't even have Raptr installed anymore, it's useless.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good thing I removed my info from that site a long time ago. There are better alternatives out there.

It feels like I have to change a password somewhere once a month due to junk like this. I don't even have Raptr installed anymore, it's useless.

this. I wonder if i can delete/deactive my account at this point. It is pretty useless since i cant track anything really

Good thing I removed my info from that site a long time ago. There are better alternatives out there.

such as?

xzeldax3

Screw that. Raptr has gone to crap. They removed one of the very few features I use: activity timeline. Achievement and time tracking has been broken for like 6 months. It doesn't track my 360, Vita, or Steam at all unless I do the manual re check in the settings.

It was so great but now have shifted to streaming, which I didn't mind until it obviously started to affect their main features.

I wish Playfire could get up to the level Raptr used to be at.

EDIT: Oh great, they aren't even doing the 2014 game summary. How have they dropped the ball so badly???

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
when I installed this with my AMD drivers it already had a login and pass filled out even tho I never signed up with them. Odd. I just deleted the program afterwards

Nikodemos

I use Raptr since their game profiles are pretty good at balancing speed/detail (although their database lacks a good deal of smaller games), so I had to change my password. Though frankly I'd rather have them do away with this user/password thing and have them generate a random, unique code valid for a limited amount of time. Sort of (though not entirely) how Steam does it.

Sini

Does anyone actually use Raptr? I always thought of it as AMD auto-installing bloatware
I used it for tracking achievements and stuff, but deactivated my account few months ago because their client is way too bloated.

MaddenNFL64

Ya I changed my password when i saw that email the other day. I am so glad i have 2 step verification on my google, and MS stuff.

edit: it is bloatware, but I like accumulating points, and putting em towards the free game raffles :p. Eh, I have RAM to spare.

Don't forget to activate two-factor authentication for lastpass and other important accounts. :)
Heres the thing though: that e-mail account does have a SMS authentication system. The problem today was that the codes they sent me were incorrect, even after resetting my password. Idk.

yatesl

Exophase is great, if simple at the minute. The owner is quick to add features though - although I asked for the ability to sort a while ago and nothing yet

Orayn

I've felt a lot better about these things since I started using LastPass and 2-factor authentication on both my LastPass and Google accounts.

Mesoian

I should shut my raptr account down. It doesn't do it's job well enough and I'm not interesed in a Twitch competitor right now.

Ha. Everytime I push the button to deactivate, it says there's a problem and doesn't actually do it. Good job guys.

Edit: alright, deactivated. Maybe one day we'll get a better gaming progress aggregator, but Raptr has been pretty terrible at it for some time.

Changed my password and deleted the account, didn't really have any need for it. I guess it comes pre-installed with AMD drivers now.

Does anyone actually use Raptr? I always thought of it as AMD auto-installing bloatware

It started off as something Gamespot tried to push, I used it but that was years ago with an email account I don't even think I use.

I was quite surprised when I installed an AMD driver, not looking, and saw that Raptr was on my computer again.

Chris1

The passwords were hashed, so they're safe anyway.
It's easy to decrypt a hashed password if your pass is easy enough.

Is this why I had to enter my date of birth when I signed in my xbox a few days ago? I don't remember signing up to Raptr but maybe I did and forgot.

Top Bottom