• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Games Market | OT | - We are on Gamtiques Roadshow (get them whilst stocks last)

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Great post! What do you think about the artificial scarcity created by "limited" games (LRG and the like)? Your piece focused mostly on retro games, but the new trend of limited-type games can get ridiculously cut-throat. They're frequently posted on ebay for twice the purchase price before the original sales run is even finished.

I sometimes get grief from non-collectors who don't understand why I buy physical retro games when I can pick up emus for the same thing. Some people just don't understand :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:
Great post! What do you think about the artificial scarcity created by "limited" games (LRG and the like)? Your piece focused mostly on retro games, but the new trend of limited-type games can get ridiculously cut-throat. They're frequently posted on ebay for twice the purchase price before the original sales run is even finished.

I sometimes get grief from non-collectors who don't understand why I buy physical retro games when I can pick up emus for the same thing. Some people just don't understand :messenger_pensive:

I don't agree with it personally, but I think they do it as profitability is tight for those games and the Developers get a guaranteed cut and having that game out there in a physical format prevents it from being lost forever (or at least can be copied DRM free for archiving purposes).

I am lucky enough to have a break in my job to actually get (most) of these games but I have lost out on certain games I actually want due to this. They can't do pre-orders for Vita versions of games for some reason (Cosmic Star Heroine and Musyx did), but they can for Switch games which is odd given Nintendo's historical strict nature on Cartridge Productions.

Scalpers cannot guarantee if they get these games either, and I hate the fact that they can snipe a game before they can even purchase it. It locks people out who genuinely want the game in a physical format (if they bought it before digitally). I would be absolutely fine if LRG have a back order for genuine archivers who have a license to do so, but they have, in the past preserved copies for the likes of YouTube Celebrities such as MetalJesusRocks, andI like him personally as I follow his channel, but given he has most if not all of LRGs releases made me realise he either gets them from them directly or duplicate copies are donated by other people

Newer games are likely going to only hold their value if their Digital counterparts run into licensing issues or potential forward storefront incompatibility. It seems that Microsoft are doing it right, but their physical Backwards Compatability is still poor as it leaves gaps from other games that you can only play on the original hardware (e.g: Gunvalkyrie).

Games such as P.T etc are locked onto certain Consoles for those who downloaded the game, but with no chance to re-download them because Sony/Konami have permitted this due to the Kojima scandel. You also have Virtual Console and WiiWare games that can never be re-transferred from the Wii or Wii U to the Switch as they have no Account in place, meaning people are at risk of losing these games without actually home-brewing the Wii and archiving their whole library.

It is scary to think that we should rely on Digital Storefronts when games can be taken away just as quickly, meaning that perhaps even Accounts can be valued dependent on what are on them in the PSN/XBLAs case. Although that is a different hypothesis entirely.

It is something I hope to look into for the future and wonder if Sony/MS/Nintendo are willing to change for people who have owned these games digitally and give them the same rights as physical games down the line, because at the end of the day....losing Thousands of games (and thousands of £/$ with no payment protections in place) you CANNOT resell with no protection of these games digitally is an absolute disgrace and the EU/NA/Japanese governments should be looking into desperately as it is essentially stealing money from their consumers who should have basic rights on these digital games and it needs to happen much sooner than expected given we are going forward with Digital Items in the future.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Great posts and some very good points OP both about collecting rare games as well as about digital ownership. However i also think that digital is a good (with its pros and cons) alternative (when it co-exists with physical) for people like me who don't want to pay a fortune in order to play a game like Suikoden 2 for example and who also dislike piracy and emulators.

Personally i don't go out of my way to buy a game just because it's rare or because it may become rare if i KNOW that i don't have any interest to play it.For example i see people saying that Devil's Third is rare but i can still find it where i live for less than 20 euros however that game doesn't interest me at all.
But if there's even a slight chance that a game might interest me or might offer me some degree of entertainment and i can find it very cheap then i'm willing to take the small risk. I also never look if any of my games are or have become rare since i never intend to sell them and make money from them.

Great posts and some very good points OP both about collecting rare games as well as about digital ownership. However i also think that digital is a good (with its pros and cons) alternative (when it co-exists with physical) for people like me who don't want to pay a fortune in order to play a game like Suikoden 2 for example and who also dislike piracy and emulators.

Personally i don't go out of my way to buy a game just because it's rare or because it may become rare if i KNOW that i don't have any interest to play it.For example i see people saying that Devil's Third is rare but i can still find it where i live for less than 20 euros however that game doesn't interest me at all.

But if there's even a slight chance that a game might interest me or might offer me some degree of entertainment and i can find it very cheap then i'm willing to take the small risk. I also never look if any of my games are or have become rare since i never intend to sell them and make money from them.

Digital is a better alternative if you really want to play the game in the short term, however there are a few worries of the game not being personally yours because of how the companies license stuff.

I do agree that you should buy what you love and not consider the rariry of the game, but I hope this thread helps those to keep an eye out on gems that will likely never get the recognition in its day until a few years later.

Some games are going to be rare but suck proper, and that is fine for those who want it but I hope this becomes less of a thing in the future although you see Limited Run Games obtaining more contracts from even established Developers (which bugs the hell out of me).

I think being able to give a rare game to a fellow gamer if you have no room for it at a reasonable price would be better than some scalper making huge profits on it as you know it will be appreciated more, but yes sadly the market doesn't operate this way which is why the thread is to assist those who wish to be in the know in case a game they wanted ends up increasing in the future. :)

I bought Trip World on VC as it is not worth the £200 it goes for as it is a very short game. I am glad that I got that option but it is unfortunately not the case for many classics.

Thanks for contibuting as it is a topic that should be discussed more by people who are passionate about this hobby.

Last edited:
Just a heads up to the euro side. French import of Stein's gate PS3 with English language options is currently being sold for 9,90€ on Amazon.es in case anyone is interested.

Just a heads up to the euro side. French import of Stein's gate PS3 with English language options is currently being sold for 9,90€ on Amazon.es in case anyone is interested.

So, for someone living in the US, is that a rare thing in europe? Does the French game have something the England(?) game does not? also, if you are in the US, does the French version have something the US game doesnt?

So, for someone living in the US, is that a rare thing in europe? Does the French game have something the England(?) game does not? also, if you are in the US, does the French version have something the US game doesnt?

It seems pretty uncommon in Europe these days and its difficult to find a new copy for a decent price from what I've seen. Prices seems to fluctuate between 30~60€ at most vendors. 20~€ if you're lucky

The French version seems to be no different from the normal English version. The language highlight was to make people aware it comes with the standard English VOs in case any uncertainty should arise.

Last edited:
Hello again!

Big thanks to EvilLore for restoring this thread!

I have some more information to share which may or may not assist the GAF Community here.

I have heard (at least from the Discords I frequent), that Atelier Ryza on Switch is becoming quite pricey in the US Region. The PS4 Version seems unaffected so far and the European variant is still at RRP/MRSP. I think it is due to Tecmo-Koei having low print runs, but I am not 100% on this one. If you see the game over RRP then please confirm it here!

There is a game coming in November called "Cris Tales", that seems to be a mid budget Indie game that could be a brilliant RPG Gem that is currently on Pre-Order in the UK for £22 (PS4) and £25 (Switch). Watch out for that game as it could be amazing!

The UK has or had a massive Sale on 3DS Titles at the Retailer Argos. However, the problem with the store has always been that they have very VERY limited quantities of games (about 2/3 games per store, and even then they are rarely restocked).

If you are from the UK and fancy a mega cheap game, then please check out your Store and the Website first, as 70% of the stock is gone. Also, the Yoshi & Poochy 3DS game is wrongly coded (I have experienced this myself and was told that they put it on Nintendogs & Cats Toy Poodle Version), so watch out for that particular game.

Yokai Watch 1 and 2 are particularly low in price at the moment as the game didn't sell as well as Level 5 had hoped, but the 3rd game is currently £20 if you are interested. (I believe the 3rd game in the US is going up in price).

Speaking of which, the demand of 3DS titles will likely rise in the next few years; some have already been going up, such as the ATLUS and SEGA games in Europe (as mentioned in my first Post). Limited Editions of Stella Glow are going for a LOT of money, but the standard editions could soon be going up as well.

The Vita versions of games that have recently released on the Switch are going down in price, such as Atelier games, several VNs and a few shooters. However....the majority of Vita games not on the Switch or are better to play on the go are going UP! Salt and Sanctuary is an exception as the Switch version is still at RRP/MRSP but the Vita Version is still double the price, with the LE going for $100+. Unless you really need it on the Vita, I would suggest to purchase the Switch or PS4 versions of the game.

The Nintendo Switch is an interesting beast, because despite it being "new", there are already games that are demanding higher prices that are Third Party releases (if we ignore the Switch Tax that make them more expensive than the PS4 counterparts). The PS4 versions of games are starting to sell overall less than the Switch version. Very likely due to the portable form factor and that Cartridges make more of a profit, to the benefit of Third Parties.

However, if you prefer Trophies and playing on a TV, the PS4 Versions will become affordable in the long term over the Switch Version.

It all depends on preference, but in my opinion, the PS4 version may become the more popular choice for a collectable for a few reasons; Durability (Blu Ray Discs are less likely to be damaged), Graphical Fidelity (despite being tethered to a TV, you will get the best possible performance for the game), Lack of Sales vs the Switch Version (The Switch version is the hottest Item at the moment, to the deterrent of the PS4 version, therefore the PS4 version will sell less overall). Short term, the Switch version will mostly get your money back. Long Term, PS4 will be more collectable for the multiplats.

The exception I give to this are games that have Local Multiplayer such as Overcooked, Sonic Mania, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Bomberman. The Switch Version will be more desirable for these games purely for being accessible and easy to set up vs the PS4 versions of these games. Of course, all preferences but this is where I see the Multiplayer Games skew to in comparison to the PS4's more traditional approach.

The ones to watch going up:

A few Compile Heart games that are not under the NepNep Universe seem to have the view of Great Gameplay, Awful Story such as Dragon Star Varnir, Death End Re:Quest and Mary Skelter. I am not sure if Crystar is going to go under the same Umbrella but currently each series (at least in the UK), goes for between £18/25 at the moment.

The games are all experimental and depending on how people perceive them, they are likely going to be either Gems or Cheap Thrills. I do believe they will get cheaper overall, but I also believe that these games won't have very large print runs.

The Trails of Cold Steel Series on Vita are very competent ports that don't have many problems with them in terms of performance. The PS3/4 versions of the games are a great alternative to play these RPGs of course, but I personally believe the games work just as well as a portable series. The games are likely going to stay at the same price for many years, but I would still recommend holding onto the Vita versions just because the games fit better on a portable, and I don't know whether Falcom will port these onto the Switch just yet. If they do, the Vita versions will be affordable as people "Switch" to the Switch version.

I also say the same for Tokyo Xanadu on Vita, despite there being a better version on PS4. It was overlooked by a lot of people, the Story can be seen as Cliché but the game-play is quite good and the Characters are created to be relatable like TOCS. If you don't care about the additional Chapter in the PS4 version or just like laughable spelling errors on the Vita Version, then play the Vita version. It probably makes the story more memorable when you point out how Aksys messed it up. (I certainly did)

Rodea the Sky Soldier on the Wii is likely to see some substantial interest from people who wish to complete their Wii Collections (including the Shovelware). Overall...I don't rate the game that much, but because of the History behind the game, how Kadokawa messed the original release date, and being one of Yuji Naka's last games as Producer, it could show some interest in a few years time. It also has some decent Multiplayer as well. If you can find it cheap, I would recommend at least trying it for the experience.

Lost Kingdom on Vita is perhaps one of the more recent examples of a game being ridiculously expensive on Vita these days. Likely because the Genre fits better on a Portable System, and I haven't heard a Switch Port coming anytime soon, but it is likely going to be ported given it's such a Gem of a game.

Breath of the Wild on Wii U. I actually got this pretty cheap (at Argos), but I wouldn't be surprised if this version increases in price like the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess. However, given that everyone would rather play this on Switch, I am doubtful it will go any higher than the RRP to be honest. If you own a Wii U and don't care for a Switch version, then I would recommend looking out for this.

FortNite's original PS4 release. A little strange given it turned into a Battle Royale, but the original version seems to go for a decent price. It's a little bit of a history lesson to see how it originated and probably has some differences in presentation. A curio if you wish to look into it, but be quick!

The ones to watch going down:

Patience is a virtue, and I would say this about "most" Sony and Microsoft First Party games. Seems pointless to mention, but here it goes....

Controversial or not, The Last of Us 2 is very likely going to drop in price by Christmas. Unless there is a PS5 version planned, the sales of this game will justify it going onto the Playstation Hits collection, to which it can be picked up under $20. If you were borderline thinking about buying the game but didn't due to pricing, then I would definitely say wait and see.

Ys games are now starting to gain attention from more people these days, so I wouldn't be surprised if or when Ys 3, 7 and Origins being ported yet again on the Switch and/or PS4/5 as a downloadable game. Ys 3 in particular on the PSP goes for a lot of money if you live in Europe/Australia due to how much they go for in the US.

Be Careful of these things!:
Tweet

Sonic Mania Plus has changed to just Sonic Mania

I hope this helps looking into what's going on currently in the Gaming Marketing World, and I hope others contribute into what they have heard and what is moving around! :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom