• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare reportedly working on Wii Fit clone

Buried in the KI thread, thought it deserved a bigger billing. A quote from Patrick Garratt's (???) blog:

VG247 said:
“It’s a fitness game for Natal. Like Microsoft’s version of Wii Fit.”
“You’re sure.”
“Sure I’m sure. They’ve been working on it for a good while. There’s something else there you can probably guess at, but we’ll save that for another day. Don’t want you dumping me, do we?”
“I’ll ask Microsoft.”
“I already did. No comment.”

http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/21/rumour-rare-working-on-natal-fitness-game/

http://mundorare.com/news/2010/01/rare-may-be-working-on-the-360s-version-of-wii-fit/

Sounds obvious (Rare copying a Nintendo exclusive, a Natal fitness game), but I'm not well versed on VG247's credibility.

With how well WiiFit is selling I don't think it's a far guess to assume that both MS and Sony are working on versions of their own.

So this is a different take at the beginning of Nuts & Bolts?

I wonder how many juniors will be banned for using that banned meme.

Please don't ban me.

Make sure everyone acts really surprised at what incredible unprecedented news this is, and also make sure to do the same at E3 so as to not to hurt Microsoft/Rare's feelings.

Mrbob

Killer Instinct Active?

I also agree with wizword. Why is MS trying so hard to transition RARE into a studio they really are not....when is the last time they have actually been relevant in gaming? The MS purchase is the worst thing which happened to the company.

wizword said:
Why does Rare have to spend the time to make this game when any other game studio could do this.

Probably because Rare dont make any good games anyway ? I dont know what happened but their games just started sucking more and more.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wizword said:
Why does Rare have to spend the time to make this game when any other game studio could do this.

this. :(

i wouldnt call rare a aaa studio these days, but i have enjoyed most of their recent titles. this sounds like wasted potential to me

wizword

Banned
Milk Lizard said:
Probably because Rare dont make any good games anyway ? I dont know what happened but their games just started sucking more and more.
I love viva pinata and kameo. Not so much banjo nuts and bolts but that is because the controls kind of sucked.

awwww shit son!! Rare really is churning out the shovelware aren't they? I could be wrong, but what's up with all the "ME TOO" going on lately.

I dont even consider the Wii a part of the console race anymore.

hyduK

Banned
Great. More wasted resources. Just do Banjo Threeie please. No bullshit gimmicks.

The faster Natal flops the better.

HybridCircle said:
awwww shit son!! Rare really is churning out the shovelware aren't they? I could be wrong, but what's up with all the "ME TOO" going on lately.

The "ME TOO" is precisely because Microsoft and Sony do consider the Wii a part of the "console race"...

JWong

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
With how well WiiFit is selling I don't think it's a far guess to assume that both MS and Sony are working on versions of their own.
I remember this!

2q9xah4.jpg

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS2/Games/EyeToy_Kinetic/OGS/

Poyunch

HybridCircle said:

Well it's not like Nintendo trying to compete with the others. :p

Judging by some of the responses here and elsehwhere, is it time we coined a term for how some 360 owners are going to be feeling later this year?

Post-Natal Depression? ;-)

iceatcs

Hopefully it doesn't take too much resource. It might be good market but I want to see more core game from Rare.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
entrement said:
How the mighty have fallen.

Falling back to where they were, you mean. Rare emulating Nintendo's stuff was pretty routine back in the N64 days...this will be like coming home for them ;)

Zachack

What I'm picking up from this article is that I'll be playing Killer Instinct: TJ "Tai Bo" Combo Edition this fall.

Ultimo hombre said:
For their Natal push, something like this is a must. Please make the boxing part REALLY good.

I don't think most of 360-GAF gets that Natal's primary target isn't just existing 360 owners. There's no inherent value to selling new motion peripherals to the same people who were already buying games, just so they can buy games in new genres.

MS is expanding their demographic, this is part of that effort.

If you hate the Wii and everything it represents, Natal (and most of its software) will not be for you. Especially at launch, where I imagine many 3rd parties will be trying to cash in on HD Wii ports.

as a person who uses Wii Fit (flame away), half the charm is in how it weighs you and charts the data. it motivates me to stay on the ball. yes i could easily write down the numbers and make a spreadsheet, but then i have to be motivated enough to write down numbers and make a spreadsheet.

i think people are missing the point in thinking any exercise game can deliver what Wii Fit offers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Grecco said:
Just let EA port Sports Active to Natal instead (Its better)

EA will be bringing sports active to it. So yeah, I think there'd be a bit of redundancy here.

How utterly boring, though. With this 'revolutionary' new platform, it's the job of first party to show the way on where this revolution is supposed to take us. It's not like MS - apparently anyway - has oodles of first party resources dedicated to this effort, so any project like this would be way out of place IMO. All of MS's resources on this should be focussed on showing what's new, while leaving any more familiar derivation to other pubs. This would hardly send an encouraging message...either to consumers or to dev partners who'll likely be only too happy to port their shovelware and associated derivatives over from Wii given half the chance.

So I really hope this isn't true.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I don't think most of 360-GAF gets that Natal's primary target isn't just existing 360 owners. There's no inherent value to selling new motion peripherals to the same people who were already buying games, just so they can buy games in new genres.

MS is expanding their demographic, this is part of that effort.

If you hate the Wii and everything it represents, Natal (and most of its software) will not be for you. Especially at launch, where I imagine many 3rd parties will be trying to cash in on HD Wii ports.

Agreed. While you might see Natal usage in tranditional games to test out the existing install base's reaction, the main focus, rightfully so, will be on the Wii market. For that to be effective, they need to ignore their current demographic and make sure they focus properly.

If they try to ride the line of making Natal games that try and appeal to the current install base while reaching out to casuals, it'll fail miserably. If they focus right and the tech actually does work well, it could certainly help them breakthrough on the casual front. The "traditional gamer" will still have plenty of regular content to play with.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
Maya did it first... and did it hotter!

375986-yourself_fitness_large.jpg

It literally begs you to photoshop something on top of Yourself.

This is as close as it gets to a perfect storm of everything GAF hates without invoking the Wii itself.

Bingo.

Well..in addition to all the things Natal tech could do to better execute what WiiFit offers, I'm sure there will be some kind of online focus.

What if they allow people to host rooms that you can exercise with friends/family in?
What if they allow people to upload their own routines for people to try?
Who knows?..

Couple that with 'way-better-than-WiiFit' presentation and it should be a damn good 'nintendo clone'..

abacab driver said:
What if they allow people to host rooms that you can exercise with friends/family in?

Who knows?..
What if they allow people to host rooms which end up with naked XBL gamers performing squats?

/goes slightly green

Top Bottom