• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare reportedly working on Wii Fit clone

J-Rzez

I've said numerous times that I hoped MS would buy up some more talent to bolster their first party, but if this is what they're going to do with said companies forget it. I'm not the biggest Rare fan to say the least, but even they deserve more than this shit, and it actually aggravates me.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
You shouldn't have to self proclaim something if you are that.

Kind of like saying "I'm a fucking badass".

Those that are(though I am not exactly sure what one is) let it speak for themselves, don't speak themselves for it.

He could have meant something totally different though and if so, I am the most unperceptive person of all.........oh wait.

out of context.

I'm not saying that i'm hardcore gamer as in "I'll fuck ANY of you up at teh Call of Dooteez!"

it's more like, "why take Spy vs Merc Multiplayer mode out of Splinter Cell Conviction? Just to make it appeal to noobs that couldn't play it?"

or

"here's my friend code.........lulz"

My only proclamation is simply saying my games need multiplayer, I can play for more than 8 hours straight, red eyes and all, (it's a wonder i have a wife...) etc.

So i'm not trying to sound like a douche. I just know the demographic or market that I fit in.

hyduK

Banned
linsivvi said:
They were at their best when they were making clones of Nintendo games. They are just going back to their roots.
Yeah, Rare's always been good at perfecting Nintendo formulas. Unfortunately, when you perfect diarrhea it's still shit.

HybridCircle said:
awwww shit son!! Rare really is churning out the shovelware aren't they? I could be wrong, but what's up with all the "ME TOO" going on lately.

I dont even consider the Wii a part of the console race anymore.

You're right. The only "race" is between MS and Sony. Nintendo has sold almost as many as both the competition combined. Hardly a "race", is it?

HybridCircle said:
out of context.

My only proclamation is simply saying my games need multiplayer, I can play for more than 8 hours straight, red eyes and all, (it's a wonder i have a wife...)

There is one game that will appease and solve all of this.

fernoca

Well, at least some thing never change...kinda ironic that...
Rare with Nintendo: "WTF?! All they do is make Nintendo clones"
Rare with Microsoft: "WTF?! All they do is make Nintendo clones"

More ironic; when they do make original/different things (Banjo, Viva, etc)
"WTF? Go make me more sequels..aaargh why isn't Banjo more like Mario Galaxy?!?!!?"

Poyunch

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
Does that mean we can blame it? :lol
Lol you're walking a fine line. :X

HybridCircle said:
out of context.

I'm not saying that i'm hardcore gamer as in "I'll fuck ANY of you up at teh Call of Dooteez!"

it's more like, "why take Spy vs Merc Multiplayer mode out of Splinter Cell Conviction? Just to make it appeal to noobs that couldn't play it?"

or

"here's my friend code.........lulz"

My only proclamation is simply saying my games need multiplayer, I can play for more than 8 hours straight, red eyes and all, (it's a wonder i have a wife...) etc.

So i'm not trying to sound like a douche. I just know the demographic or market that I fit in.
But when did hardcore gamers in require multiplayer? Personally I enjoy a good single player more than a great multiplayer game.

Ten-Song

fernoca said:
More ironic; when they do make original/different things (Banjo, Viva, etc)
"WTF? Go make me more sequels..aaargh why isn't Banjo more like Mario Galaxy?!?!!?"

That's something I don't really get. People scorn them for a lot of what they've done on the 360, but when you consider what Rare did with Nintendo, as opposed to what they've done now, they actually seem to have a lot more creative freedom now, and everyone hates them for it.

And in regards to them copying Nintendo, well... they're still good at it, considering the popularity of Avatars on the 360.

PounchEnvy said:
Lol you're walking a fine line. :X

Nothing to worry about yet. If it comes out, is really popular, and people start blaming it then, that's when shit hits the fan. :lol

Here i thought fitness games used to exist before WiiFit.

In any case, good for them, what else is a device like Natal gonna exist for if not to achieve a similar experience to that of the Wii?

If they manage to be successful with it, then dream come true, HD and casual games at the same time.

Ten-Song said:
they actually seem to have a lot more creative freedom now

It is quite the opposite, I'm afraid. Rare was able to self-publish under Nintendo's reign, now they are serfs told to make Avatars and the latest Wii Fit clone. I wouldn't doubt it if Nuts & Bolts was Microsoft's doing.

Ten-Song

NinMicroSega said:
It is quite the opposite, I'm afraid. Rare was able to self-publish under Nintendo's reign, now they are serfs told to make Avatars and the latest Wii Fit clone. I wouldn't doubt it if Nuts & Bolts was Microsoft's doing.

I don't quite see it the same way considering the output. Rare's boldest departures from Nintendo rip offs while underfoot there, were a shooter that played like another licensed product they made, and a another Nintendo rip off that's only differentiation from standard fare was being rated M and having awful humor.

Compared to now, where we have stuff like Avatars, Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts, and whatever it is they're working on now. The actual breadth of what they're working on is far different, and I've enjoyed pretty much all of it.

Perfect Dark Zero (soundtrack aside) was pretty awful though.

Didnt Rare's big music composer leave because he felt he wouldnt be able to work on the kind of experiences he did in the past with the company? We should have known then.

legend166

I don't understand how these Natal fitness games are going to work without a way to measure progress. I don't think it's going to have as much appeal as Wii Fit for this reason. Well, along with the fact Nintendo already owns the market.

Somnid said:
But that's the point. Who exactly is MS trying to capture? Anyone interested in this stuff would have a Wii and anyone with a 360 probably wanted it for what 360 does best, which isn't this.
This is the thing. This will not be a success. I know that Microsoft has this great idea that once they release Natal they are going to get a huge influx of people from the Wii market, but I really can't see this being the case. And the people who own a 360 and not a Wii, for the most part, are not interested in this kind of product.

To top it all off, people may be thinking it's easier to be Nintendo than it actually is. Nintendo software development is so successful because they really know how to appeal to the market they've captured. I can't see Rare measuring up to Nintendo's success.

Wiseblood

I actually think a Natal fitness game could be promising depending on how involved it is. Like guiding you through real exercises and evaluating your form, hopefully better than those cheap 2D camera based games. Still, Rare's an odd choice for development.

jrricky

Banned
Rare is incompetent so this will most likely disappoint as much as their other failures.

Oh and Avatars are not popular (not as much as Miis anyway).

Oh how I dispose this company for the disappointments I've had with their stuff all gen...

jrricky said:
Rare is incompetent so this will most likely disappoint as much as their other failures.

Oh and Avatars are not popular (not as much as Miis anyway).

Oh how I dispose this company for the disappointments I've had with their stuff all gen...

Miis are popular?

goldenpp72

hey rare, if true

middle-finger.jpg

jrricky

Banned
Ten-Song said:
I don't quite see it the same way considering the output. Rare's boldest departures from Nintendo rip offs while underfoot there, were a shooter that played like another licensed product they made, and a another Nintendo rip off that's only differentiation from standard fare was being rated M and having awful humor.

Compared to now, where we have stuff like Avatars, Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts, and whatever it is they're working on now. The actual breadth of what they're working on is far different, and I've enjoyed pretty much all of it.

Perfect Dark Zero (soundtrack aside) was pretty awful though.
umm, rare made the amazing killer instinct games. :-/ It still surprises me to this day that nintendo published that...
brotkasten said:
Miis are popular?
This has gotta be a f'ing joke...right?:lol

watkinzez

Gamer @ Heart said:
Didnt Rare's big music composer leave because he felt he wouldnt be able to work on the kind of experiences he did in the past with the company? We should have known then.

David Wise hadn't worked on a console game since Star Fox Adventures. Certainly well liked for the DKC games, but Robin Beanland was and still is the head of music there.

Gamer @ Heart said:

No, nothing at all about "experiences"..the direct quote was:

"I think the business of Rare has changed a great deal, and at the moment there is just not the opportunity to create the soundtracks that Rare were fortunately very famous for."

To brief you, David Wise did alot of 16-bit era stuff and the last 2 big titles he did were Diddy Kong Racing for N64 (1997) and Starfox Adventures for Gamecube (2002).

After MS bought Rare, the Donkey Kong and Starfox ip's went back to Nintendo and Grant Kirkhope, Robin Beanland, Steve Burke and David Clynick took over..leaving Mr Wise without a reason to be at Rare.

Rares composers are some of the best in the biz, btw. :D

Ten-Song

jrricky said:
umm, rare made the amazing killer instinct games. :-/ It still surprises me to this day that nintendo published that...

Hmmm, I forgot about those games, likely because they were pretty awful and I liked playing good fighting games way back when. I should also clarify that I was more speaking to what they did during the N64 era... even though aside from KI, their SNES outings also fall into the realm of being somewhat derivative.

Sloane

Banned
God, when will they learn that they can't win shit by cloning anything? Don't get me wrong, I'm really interested in Natal but if this really is what Microsoft is aiming for, then the whole thing is gonna be a huge failure. HUGE.

/rage

Rare reportedly working on a teaser screenshot of a new game and a snappy comment eluding to it not being KI3.

Should be out sometime in 2011.

Vinci

Danish
Sloane said:
God, when will they learn that they can't win shit by cloning anything? Don't get me wrong, I'm really interested in Natal but if this really is what Microsoft is aiming for, then the whole thing is gonna be a huge failure. HUGE.

/rage

You expected it not to fail?

Such a shame. Anyone could do this. Why Rare.

It's like Microsoft doesn't realize what they HAVE. Why would they ever commission Rare to make something so simple when so many people are craving Banjo-Threeie or Killer Instinct or Conker or Jet Force Gemini or fucking ANYTHING but Natal Fit.

Even if it sells well, it'd still be a loss for Microsoft because they could have had Rare working on another gem while anybody else was making this fitness game.

Cosmonaut X said:
Judging by some of the responses here and elsehwhere, is it time we coined a term for how some 360 owners are going to be feeling later this year?

Post-Natal Depression? ;-)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Pretty obvious that MS and Sony will have some kind of fitness game with their motion controllers. Those are the games that are the easiest to do/sell for this kind of tech.

Top Bottom