• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Today, I’m pleased to be able to announce the immediate availability of Raspberry Pi Zero, made in Wales and priced at just $5. Zero is a full-fledged member of the Raspberry Pi family, featuring:

A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor
1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1)
512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
A micro-SD card slot
A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
Micro-USB sockets for data and power
An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header
Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B
An unpopulated composite video header
Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm

One more thing: because the only thing better than a $5 computer is a free computer, we are giving away a free Raspberry Pi Zero on the front of each copy of the December issue of The MagPi, which arrives in UK stores today.

It's great to see that they've managed to create something that a child can buy with 1 weeks pocket money! :-0

Siphorus

That's pretty nuts. Although the power on it might be lacking. (There was some asynchronous indexing I was doing for Emulation Station with the Raspberry Pi that made the 2 worth the money). But this is probably well worth it for some robotic stuff.

Mepsi

I wish I could find somewhere that sells the magazine today, wouldn't mind having a play with it at all.

VariantX

Kind of nuts that computer might be as powerful as the first computer our family bought in 2000 for $1000. 15 years is a long, long time in the tech world I guess.

The SD card to run the OS from and the power supply are probably each going to cost you more than the actual computer. We live in crazy times.

this isn't for the third world? I mean, schools aren't using these for you know, school stuff?

There's a million practical reasons for a mass produced, ultra cheap computer, and this is selling to normal people for what, novelty value?

Rich!

this isn't for the third world? I mean, schools aren't using these for you know, school stuff?

There's a million practical reasons for a mass produced, ultra cheap computer, and this is selling to normal people for what, novelty value?

Haha what you on about son

No. Sorry. It's for hobbyists. I built a retro gaming console housed in a PAL SNES with the PiB.

This one I've just put an order in for - itll do well inside a Game Boy shell as a neat homebrew handheld.

I've also bought two more - one for custom lighting and one for a robotics experiment.

seb_n

I know its only 5 quid but the lack of network port is disapointing, obviously it can be worked around via usb but it just seems like a real killer feature that has been left out. I will still pick one up though, hopefully find the magazine in a shop today.

Alx

That will be useful for schools, but mostly as a cheap platform for learning developers. That's not really suited as is to be used as a desktop, because it's just electronics. School computers, especially for the third world, also need to meet requirements in sturdiness, power consumption etc.
(as a matter of fact I remember projects of computers for the third world, based on the concept of having a crank included to charge the battery).

Damaniel

Banned
No Ethernet?

No, but you can plug in a dongle via USB.

It's amazing how much computing power you can get for five bucks these days. I think that CHIP will be the overall better sub-$10 product, but a device with an actual usable processor for less than even the cost of shipping it (and cheap enough to put in a magazine!) is a pretty decent achievement.

Blizzard

Banned
No, but you can plug in a dongle via USB.

It's amazing how much computing power you can get for five bucks these days. I think that CHIP will be the overall better sub-$10 product, but a device with an actual usable processor for less than even the cost of shipping it (and cheap enough to put in a magazine!) is a pretty decent achievement.
I backed CHIP and some of the modules, but the big thing that bugged me about CHIP was that shipping seemed so high in the U.S., the advertisement of a $9 computer seemed almost misleading.

I also saw a claim that the CHIP modules cost $39 and they're selling them at a loss trying to build a community, but I haven't read further.

Mindwipe

It's astonishing. My first PC had 16MB of RAM, and I've already spent more than this costs on coffee today.

I do wonder if you could get a wifi adaptor on the board here and what the cost implications of that would be. At that point you'd start getting mass wifi mesh networks in cities at this price.

Fliesen

I know its only 5 quid but the lack of network port is disapointing, obviously it can be worked around via usb but it just seems like a real killer feature that has been left out. I will still pick one up though, hopefully find the magazine in a shop today.

I think making the base unit this thin is well worth the trade-off.
I don't mind them removing legacy stuff like Analog audio / video out for the sake of cutting costs and slimming down the size.

If you want a fully capable / expandable device, it's not like the 'regular sized' is anywhere close to being expensive. Every single Pi model is incredibly cheap. This new one's just ridiculously cheap.

This + microUSB -> USB adapter + wireless adapter should be a nice 'turn any external hard drive into a wireless NAS' kind of package

Robin64

Definitely going to try and find a copy of that mag.

rsz_img_0661.jpg

And then I'll see how it handles Retroarch.

I've been eyeballing Raspberry Pi and similar devices for a long time. I've gotten kind of bored with FPGA boards and want to make something more programming-centric. I don't even know what I want to make next, though.

Mindwipe

Amazon don't seem to have any micro USB wifi adaptors, running that through an adaptor is certainly a significant extra % cost here.

It's crazy that unlocking the video codecs for this will cost the same as the device.

Also crazy that the magazine with the free Pi is actually a pretty good deal all round, as they won't be required to pay VAT on that so the paper will pay for itself :) There's lots of nice ways to skim around tax at that sort of price.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
how does this one compare to the raspberry pi 2?

really interesting :D right now the pi 2 is my media station for anime..

dity

Saw a video involving this earlier. I was really impressed - I'd probably never have a reason to use one, but it's still awesome.

Alx

how does this one compare to the raspberry pi 2?

really interesting :D right now the pi 2 is my media station for anime..

Much less powerful... they say the zero CPU is 40% more powerful than the Pi1, but Pi2 was said to be six times more powerful than Pi1. Also Pi2 has twice the RAM.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Much less powerful... they say the zero CPU is 40% more powerful than the Pi1, but Pi2 was said to be six times more powerful than Pi1. Also Pi2 has twice the RAM.

I actually used a pi 1 bfore I got the 2 as a media station. the only reason I got the 2 is for a more fluent kodi :D

maybe I'll create a "take with me" kodi..mh. god i love the raspberry pi.

lenos16

That processor is leagues better than my first with a laughable 100 MHz in 1997. The improvements are ridiculous. I wonder what we will get once we reach the 10 nm limits though.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I want one as a webserver to store pics. Is this ok?

friend of mine uses his pi 1 as a print server..

this one is 40% faster..yes you'll be alright afaik

you guys, i've used a Pi 1 as an XBMC media center that played 1080p h264 mkv files without an issue. I think you'll be fine :p

should have read my earlier post where I said that I used my p1 as a XBMC as well :p

Fliesen

I want one as a webserver to store pics. Is this ok?

you guys, i've used a Pi 1 as an XBMC media center that played 1080p h264 mkv files without an issue. I think you'll be fine :p

should have read my earlier post where I said that I used my p1 as a XBMC as well :p

which i did, which is why i unquoted you, which is why we're having some weird "edit: edit: edit:" conversation right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom