• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnamith

Just get the model 2 instead. You'll save the price difference by not having to buy adapters for usb 3, hdmi and ethernet. And it's more powerful.

Just a heads up, there are no raspberry pies that have usb 3, usb 2 speed is as much as you'll be able to get from a pi even with adapters or hubs etc

Pulka

Could this somehow become a "wireless" hdmi cable? Could I plug this in to my TV and have that TV show what's on my desktop computer? I would just use a hdmi cable but a door is in the way.

This is pretty nuts, can someone answer me the hardware requirements for running this as a XBMC/Retroarch machine?

Im guessing:

Power supply:
mini HDMI to HDMI cable
microUSB to USB A cable
USB Hub to get plenty of USB ports
USB wif/fi adapter
USB gamepad
USB mouse/keyboard
SD card with the OS

Is that it to get going with this?

Could this somehow become a "wireless" hdmi cable? Could I plug this in to my TV and have that TV show what's on my desktop computer? I would just use a hdmi cable but a door is in the way.

I wonder if there are any capable Remote Desktop apps for the Pi, it could work.

Speevy

Banned
It's funny that this thing has devolved into exactly what Amazon does to encourage people to buy their more capable tablets.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I picked up the magazine today at lunch.

Is there a way to turn it into a really cheap steam link machine?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Rktk

I went to do a spot of shopping and they didn't stock this magazine in Tesco or my Sainsbury's, mortified.

Damaniel

Banned
Is they a where to get this magazine from north america or better just buy the item separately.

My local Fry's carries a lot of the UK tech magazines, but there's a bit of a lag between the release date there and the release date here. I'd go check, but Black Friday is guaranteed to turn that place into a madhouse.

harSon

Banned
I'm still sitting on a Raspberry Pi 2 that I haven't used for anything. I have an Raspberry Pi running as a Media Server still, since I'm too lazy to drag everything off it to the FreeNAS I made (BTW, don't use it as a media server - the copy speeds are incredibly slow since the USB and Ethernet ports share the same bandwidth)

I'll probably end up purchasing a handful of these, just cause.

I wasn't that impressed with the first Pi, and the current graphics stack has a pretty silly problem where it can't use the GPU for Linux GUI apps because of a driver issue, which is why they all seem super slow compared to a traditional PC setup.

The Pi 2 has the same problem, but the beefier CPU covers for some of the GPU's failings.

Still, yeah, can't fault how tiny this thing is. I just hope they can fix up that GPU driver situation someday so it's a better general purpose machine.

I've heard that Broadcom has an engineer working on a new GPU driver for all things Pi, hopefully that works out.

Nairume

Banned
So what are the chances this thing could run CPS3 stuff (SF3 and JoJo)? Thinking about getting one of these to rig up to my old hanaho Hotrod and make a mobile arcade cabinet.

Metalmarc

Raspberry Pi Zero already sold out, says 'amazed' founder

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-11/27/raspberry-pi-zero-sold-out

Virtually every Raspberry Pi Zero in existence has been sold within 24 hours of the miniature £4 computer's launch, The Raspberry Pi Foundation has said.

Around 20,000 Pi Zeroes have been sold, along with almost every copy of MagPi magazine, which included a free Zero on the cover.

The Zero's popularity has also made it the target for touts. Copies of MagPi are on eBay for up to £99, with some already bought for up to £49.99

small number of touts have taken advantage of the shortage to line their pockets on eBay."

Upton said the Foundation was building new units "as fast as we can" and encouraged those wanting to get their hands on a board to not give eBay opportunists their money. Helpfully a page on Raspbery Pi's website is helping to match interested early-adopters with stockists of the magazine.

you can buy the pi2 for £39 why on earth would you pay touts £50-100 on ebay for this

Hypron

you can buy the pi2 for £39 why on earth would you pay touts £50-100 on ebay for this

If you want to use them for commercial purposes and are considering buying a ton of them in the future, buying one for 50 pounds to start testing right now rather than in 3 months time seems reasonable.

I really wish I could think of a cool project to do with raspi. I've got a couple of model Bs collecting dust (though one of them randomly fails after around a day or so of uptime).

Buy two servomotors and a battery and make a small robot with it :p

Wait, really? It's somewhat hard to believe they wouldn't have fixed a problem like this by now.

It's a tricky issue to fix, because it's a problem that goes back to the inept Broadcom VideoCore IV (GPU) driver. For one reason or another (patents? loss of original source code? politics?), Broadcom can't seem to fix it short of building a new, open source Linux driver from scratch.

I find the issue frustrating to put it lightly, but then again the hardware costs so little, it's remarkably small, and there's been progress in several other areas as far as the Raspberry Pi's software goes.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation was a bit slow to fix the software issues at first. They've been making more of a commitment each year since the project got started, partially because they realize that they can't expect unpaid open source contributors to fix their problems for them, partially because the hardware's greatest problem has been the lack of ARM optimized Linux software.

clav

These new ones can be used for the cool ambient lighting projects, right?

Don't know about the project in particular. You can do a lot with them as long as you don't use the GPU accelerated driver (does not exist), which I would think a lighting project would not require.

For everyone else who needs a microcomputer with a serial + USB port, it does everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom