• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and clank Overlooked nextgen features

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You dont understand polygon resolutions, any graphics artist understands what im saying, the environments arent simple in poly counts theres nothing low poly here that is absurd.🤣🤣🤣, unreal 5 is hyper real so the environments are meant to lool realistic, this game is aimomg for a cartoony cgi pixar look doesnt meant its low poly, can you show me any sharp edges in the pictures ive posted?

for reference this is what i mean by high poly vs low poly
1Bb0KK6.jpg

The more polygons you keep adding or the more you subdivide thr monkeys edges the more smooth it becomes. The more the memory the more the processing, before only films could have complex poly counts in every object.

and here is cyberpunk, known as the! nextgen game on pc
MUjwvGB.jpg
pLnrPKC.jpg
y1GVzgI.jpg

As you can see highlited are polygon edges, the objects in cyberpunk are made of average polycounts something you see in alll games out there doesnt matter the whatever graphical effects on top of the games whether its raytracing or what but the poly counts are always average its only ratchet and clank thats this smooth. Look at how well rounded that entrance is! Theres no edges.
xQET3Wr.jpg

Look even at this characters outfit the circular things are smooth as butter you only see this in cgi films or pre remdered cutscenes this is the polygonal quality im talking about. Its phenomenal developers would never add such polygon complexity on things you can easily overlook but they just throw polygons on everything in this game its incredible.
lGzrv18.png
I don't remember seeing people saying that Cyberpunk is next gen. Also, one can't even say this, the game is is development since Witcher III days and there was no development kit back then

I love ratchet (it is one of if not my favorite franchise) and can't wait to play, but you lost me at Cyberpunk isnt next gen.
It isnt on consoles whether on series x, ps5 or ps4, there is literally only the last gen versions of the game. Streaming issue, low res textures, no rt, shit pop in.
Thats the point here. Console only gamers perspective are the consoles they play on. They dont really care about how the pc stuff looks like because its not running on their plastic of choice.

farmerboy

I'm glad my limited understanding means I don't spoil myself by nitpicking shit.

Game looks good. Real good. And that's all I need to know.

I don't remember seeing people saying that Cyberpunk is next gen. Also, one can't even say this, the game is is development since Witcher III days and there was no development kit back then
Well digital foundry called it the first trully nextgen game. As youve already known anything on pc to alex is nextgen even if it isnt simply because you can crank up toggles tp ultra on the settings bar as if that can magically make anything nextgen. The quality of production and using nextgen features/engines from start to finish is what makes a game nextgen.

Cyberpunk is a lastgen game with alot of make up but tale the make up off and you get an ugly duckling. The animations, poly counts, attention to detail, the data streaming tech are worlds apart between ratchet and cyberpunk. You dont just splash raytracing on a game and call it nextgen and thats what digal foundry did. And most people are fooled by that.

DF called CyberScam "next gen" because of the amount of RT lightning.
But apart from that it's a last gen title, inferior to many other next gen games.
I fail to understand how people can be impressed by that farce, for example, comparing the traffic in Ratchet to those ridiculous ill placed sprites at the distance in Cyber.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
If last gen can't run with all bells and whistles, how it is a last gen game?

Because graphics don't determine gens. Mega Drive games were not that far removed from Master System games, but the overall gaming capabilities were enhanced many times over. Cyberpunk 2077 is a last gen game, with last gen design. and a poor one at that, as it copies tons of games while making those systems somehow worse (quantity over quality).

If you think graphics determine generational leaps... oh boy.

Example of next gen game, not possible in last gen hardware - new R&C game
Example of last gen game running with bells and whistles on new gen hardware (not necessarily consoles) - Cyberpunk, Spiderman MM

Edit

Here's a game from 2 gens ago running with bells and whistles via modding. Are you gonna argue GTA V is a next gen title?

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because graphics don't determine gens. Mega Drive games were not that far removed from Master System games, but the overall gaming capabilities were enhanced many times over. Cyberpunk 2077 is a last gen game, with last gen design. and a poor one at that, as it copies tons of games while making those systems somehow worse (quantity over quality).

Example of last gen game running with bells and whistles on new gen hardware (not necessarily consoles) - Cyberpunk, Spiderman MM

Edit

Here's a game from 2 gens ago running with bells and whistles via modding. Are you gonna argue GTA V is a next gen title?

No. I would say there is no such thing as last gen or current gen game. What gen is World of Warcraft, for example?

Last edited:
The whole “gameplay determines gen” thing people are running with in response to Returnal and this is.... very silly. Where did this come from? Feels like this take was invented this week.

The snobbery over gameplay seems bizarre to me. “This is last generation gameplay” is just, lol, no. It is a bad take.

Cyberpunk is a last gen game despite only running decently on current gen? Ok. Someone tried telling me Dark Souls 3 was a PS2 style game yesterday. Y’all are making zero sense.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The whole “gameplay determines gen” thing people are running with in response to Returnal and this is.... very silly. Where did this come from? Feels like this take was invented this week.

The snobbery over gameplay seems bizarre to me. “This is last generation gameplay” is just, lol, no. It is a bad take.

Cyberpunk is a last gen game despite only running decently on current gen? Ok. Someone tried telling me Dark Souls 3 was a PS2 style game yesterday. Y’all are making zero sense.
It comes from this in the great inanimate object and brand war,
tenor.gif

Some repeating it better hope the flagship IP coming this Fall has "next-gen gameplay (it won't)" or whatever the hell that means, but by then they'll have moved on to some other goal post battle.

Dodkrake

Banned
No. I would say there is no such thing as last gen or current gen game. What gen is World of Warcraft, for example?

So you're moving the goalpost, right? Great. On PC, I kind of agree with you. On consoles? There's absolutely fundamental diferences between gens, especially from a game design perspective.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This shot is insane. Look at the perceived self shadowing in the fur on his ears. Reminds me of the UE5 demo with all those polys being self lit and shadowed.
dH94Cuf.png
The only thing I don't like about his face fur this time around, at least around his mouth and chin, is that it looks a bit too fuzzy, like they wanted to give him a gruffy beard but couldn't decide on how to do it.

Here's Ratchet 2016 for comparison:

1461002213_ratchet__clank_2016_screenshot_1.jpg

Cleaner fur around the mouth and chin looks better to me as a design/artistic choice. Aside from that, graphically the new one obviously looks better in every other way.

The only thing I don't like about his face fur this time around, at least around his mouth and chin, is that it looks a bit too fuzzy, like they wanted to give him a gruffy beard but couldn't decide on how to do it.

Here's Ratchet 2016 for comparison:

1461002213_ratchet__clank_2016_screenshot_1.jpg

Cleaner fur around the mouth and chin looks better to me as a design/artistic choice. Aside from that, graphically the new one obviously looks better in every other way.

The fur changes appearance with lightning AND humidity. On most of the close ups in this last video Ratchet was wet.

Oh, one of the best things about this game and it's technical quality is that we have no reasons to doubt it's real, contrary to all the false advertising in Cyberpunk trailers promising even weeks before launch.
The development is finished and the developers say that all they're doing now is polishing and searching for bugs. There are little "problems" we are seeing that aren't meant to be there, they're trying to fix.

Meanwhile in Poland 6 scammers are laughing with U$6 million on their bank accounts.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

Akuji

Hey man I don't wanna derail or destroy your thread. I'll leave, no worries! Power of the SSD is just a thing thats too complicated for me man, I'm glad you know it so well.

Damn really? Hope my PC will catch up at some point. I really need to upgrade my SSD to a super SSD then.

first you would need a decompression solution like the ps5 custom chip.
oh wow there aren’t any yet.

lol read a book uneducated piece of derailer.

LMJ

I love ratchet (it is one of if not my favorite franchise) and can't wait to play, but you lost me at Cyberpunk isnt next gen.

So the thing is that Cyberpunk isn't technically next gen lol (confusing I know, I'll explain)
Any PC fan will tell you that 2077 is a sight to behold, and you would be right, but it could have been so much more, and the key reason for that is a good deal of people were responsible in trying to get this game running on the PC(easy) the X (challenge, but doable) the Pro (okay now we're struggling a bit) the PS4 (yeah are you insane?) and the Xbone (yup, insane)

While the game was indeed ported down, it was still optimized as best as they could to get it running on everything, whereas had it been PC and next gen only, then said resources wouldn't have been wasted, the devs didn't want to have the game cross gen...

So while a beefy PC can make CyberPunk look gorgeous, had it been TRUELY next gen, it would have shined all the brighter!

I'm sorry but... whut ? There is no "consideration", a game run at a certain frame and that's it.
Listen I'm just stating that IMO, this R&C should run at 60 frames per seconds nothing more, nothing less since I don't think it's as impressive as it could be.
That's it. I'm not saying it's ugly or anything.

Hate to tell you, but on console regardless of optimization devs will push for eye candy and Res/bells and whistles... The good news is that almost everyone is giving FPS options now, and usually not at too big a sacrifice

Dodkrake

Banned
Like what? Well, CP2077 is also not a console game. It was down ported to them.

So it was released for consoles but its not a console game? Your arguments just keep getting better.

You always develop for the lowest common denominator, not the highest. So it is very much a console game.

Dodkrake

Banned
So witcher 3 was developed for the switch?

Was Witcher 3 released concurrently on the switch? Or was it downported years later?

Also, Is Witcher 3 a CPU bound or GPU bound game?

You can keep on ignoring the facts and moving goalposts, it doesn't make you right.

Flabagast

Was Witcher 3 released concurrently on the switch? Or was it downported years later?

Also, Is Witcher 3 a CPU bound or GPU bound game?

You can keep on ignoring the facts and moving goalposts, it doesn't make you right.
Outer Worlds, Doom Eternal were developed for Switch ? They were ported just a few months after launch. And to be honest, it is kinda the same for CP2077, the game is just starting to be decent on consoles several months after the release, still with some heavy cuts all around.

And CP is an "all components" something bound game on PS4 & Xbox, mostly CPU, RAM and HDD limited. It is a sub 900p game at 25ish FPS on PS4 with still some hiccups and lagging. It is very clear it was not primarly developed with last gen specs in mind, and it shows. The difference between the PC prime version (even with RTX off) and the console one is as stark as the one between The witcher 3 PS4 and switch version, if not even more.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Outer Worlds, Doom Eternal were developed for Switch ? They were ported just a few months after launch. And to be honest, it is kinda the same for CP2077, the game is just starting to be decent on consoles several months after the release, still with some heavy cuts all around.

And CP is an "all components" something bound game on PS4 & Xbox, mostly CPU, RAM and HDD limited. It is a sub 900p game at 25ish FPS on PS4 with still some hiccups and lagging. It is very clear it was not primarly developed with last gen specs in mind, and it shows. The difference between the PC prime version (even with RTX off) and the console one is as stark as the one between The witcher 3 PS4 and switch version, if not even more.

It started development (actual development) in 2016. It was developed for last gen consoles. How this is still an argument baffles me.

As for porting and overall "capabilities", are we going to ignore the platform differences between PC's and Consoles vs the Switch? Let's start by overall storage medium and then speak to x86 vs ARM development, just for starters. People keep comparing the switch like it's this 2001 underpowered mobile system when it is way more capable of scalability, granted the appropriate compromises are made.

And yeah, we can keep on arguing this all day, and the matter of fact is, R&C would not run on a PS4 or Xbox One no matter how many textures you downgrade. The gameplay itself is next-gen bound.

xPikYx

Edit

Nope, because the real difference is in polygons per frames, that makes primarly a game next gen

Top Bottom