• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and clank Overlooked nextgen features

harmny

Banned
You dont understand polygon resolutions, any graphics artist understands what im saying, the environments arent simple in poly counts theres nothing low poly here that is absurd.🤣🤣🤣, unreal 5 is hyper real so the environments are meant to lool realistic, this game is aimomg for a cartoony cgi pixar look doesnt meant its low poly, can you show me any sharp edges in the pictures ive posted?

for reference this is what i mean by high poly vs low poly
1Bb0KK6.jpg

The more polygons you keep adding or the more you subdivide thr monkeys edges the more smooth it becomes. The more the memory the more the processing, before only films could have complex poly counts in every object.

and here is cyberpunk, known as the! nextgen game on pc
MUjwvGB.jpg
pLnrPKC.jpg
y1GVzgI.jpg

As you can see highlited are polygon edges, the objects in cyberpunk are made of average polycounts something you see in alll games out there doesnt matter the whatever graphical effects on top of the games whether its raytracing or what but the poly counts are always average its only ratchet and clank thats this smooth. Look at how well rounded that entrance is! Theres no edges.
xQET3Wr.jpg

Look even at this characters outfit the circular things are smooth as butter you only see this in cgi films or pre remdered cutscenes this is the polygonal quality im talking about. Its phenomenal developers would never add such polygon complexity on things you can easily overlook but they just throw polygons on everything in this game its incredible.
lGzrv18.png

Ah i thought this wasn't a joke thread for a minute

Starfield

Mate its not sony you should be mad about its your ignorance. Somy didnt invent ssds they just made the ps5 efficient in data streaming by not only plugging a ssd but by engineering silicon and apis to remove the latemcy that exists between ssds and gpu, by basically making the ssd a huge memory bank. This is why developers have explained for months not just from sony but different companies from epic to microsoft to metro exodus creators to everybody and why developers are more exited about the ps5s io than anything.

If you could just plug a ssd into a pc like you plug ur iphone charger to a potato and started charging then the ssd tech on ps5 and all the engineers who have worked on the industry long before most of us have been around are stupid and your more smarter than them.

Nvidia adding gpu io data decompression to stream data straight from ssd to gpu on their rtx cards are stupid, microsoft engineering velocity architecture are stupid the whole sony team, mark cerny are stupid and everything is marketing, and unicorns exist, father christmas exists and were all just a simulation.
so you're telling me PS5 bad? okay, thank you for the advice I won't be buying one then. I wanted to, but you convinced me otherwise.

so you're telling me PS5 bad? okay, thank you for the advice I won't be buying one then. I wanted to, but you convinced me otherwise.
Learn to read properly it seems you have understanding issues. N i dont care if you buy one or a super computer im not profiting anything and whether you buy it or not theyll still sell 100s of millions and people will still have fun playing it.

Starfield

Learn to read properly it seems you have understanding issues. N i dont care if you buy one or a super computer im not profiting anything and whether you buy it or not theyll still sell 100s of millions and people will still have fun playing it.
I was just joking man. You're right. I was wrong, here's your power of the SSD mate

sCr3lIb.png

/end of useless "my thingy is better" posts

SSD's do make a difference but for the "difference" they make I doubt theres much difference between a regular 1gb/s ssd than to a 5-8gb/s ssd in terms of world building, assets loading, etc.

Time will tell but using Ratchet n Clank for this ain't it chief. You can do that on a PC aswell and saying you can't because the game doesnt exist on PC is not an excuse.

Last edited:
I was just joking man. You're right. I was wrong, here's your power of the SSD mate

sCr3lIb.png

This is exactly why i say you have an understanding problem, you clearly have no technical idea at all. The screenshot you posted doesnt mean anything that game isnt engineered for the ps5 ssd its a lastgen gen game running on lastgen engines the ps5 is simply running ps4 code. Your comparing meaningless things go look at nextgen games, demon souls, godfall, miles morales all load in a flash on ps5. Your just being thick now.

Pedro Motta

sCr3lIb.png

SSD's do make a difference but for the "difference" they make I doubt theres much difference between a regular 1gb/s ssd than to a 5-8gb/s ssd in terms of world building, assets loading, etc.

Time will tell but using Ratchet n Clank for this ain't it chief. You can do that on a PC aswell and saying you can't because the game doesnt exist on PC is not an excuse.
This is not going to age well, you clearly don't understand jack shit of how things work. Ratchet is just the beginning, the gap is only going to get wider.

Starfield

This is exactly why i say you have an understanding problem, you clearly have no technical idea at all. The screenshot you posted doesnt mean anything that game isnt engineered for the ps5 ssd its a lastgen gen game running on lastgen engines the ps5 is simply running ps4 code. Your comparing meaningless things go look at nextgen games, demon souls, godfall, miles morales all load in a flash on ps5. Your just being thick now.
Hey man I don't wanna derail or destroy your thread. I'll leave, no worries! Power of the SSD is just a thing thats too complicated for me man, I'm glad you know it so well.

This is not going to age well, you clearly don't understand jack shit of how things work. Ratchet is just the beginning, the gap is only going to get wider.
Damn really? Hope my PC will catch up at some point. I really need to upgrade my SSD to a super SSD then.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

sCr3lIb.png

The fuck is this time on pc??? My CP2077 loading is 5 seconds on a SATA SSD!!!

Last edited:
What’s the gameplay difference between what you play on your high end pc today, and what people were playing during Half life 2 days?

Better loadings? So basically just a QoL upgrade. Amazing man.

Love it when PC players think they know anything about game development just because they can turn on settings in the options menu. Guess PC having turned into a console port machine messed with the ego of a lot of people. Yes when PCs with SSDs run console games, loadings are faster. Yay. Now show me a game on PC that does what Ratchet does in gameplay, and show me a Pc game that does what the U5 tech demo did. Go ahead I will wait.
Yeah there isn't a difference. Now that consoles have fast storage I was hoping for actual gameplay changes. R&C doesn't have any. The game plays exactly like every other R&C game with some QOL improvments and obviously looks great.
YOu cant do this on a ssd on pc without technologies that are on ps5 and series x it womt be 4 seconds on pc itll be a minute, remember the other worlds its streaming are not in ram, all those assets are cold data streamed straight from the ssd in a flash. Devs have explained this for months but people still dont get it.
zhZiHb6.jpg
ZdX4OED.jpg
The gameplay is still the same.

SLB1904

Banned
I disagree on this one - the characters do look superb and very detailed, which is especially seen in all the close-ups, but the environments look rather simple, basic, dare I say low-poly. The shadowing is also off on some objects, 4th screen being the best example here, which actually looks like a PS4 game rather than a next-gen only title, let alone the UE5 demo... IMHO as great as the upcomign R&C looks, Kena takes the crown when it comes to the so-called Pixar-like visuals.
Lmfao.

Playstation only gamers really are the worst.

The next gen feature is SSD standard instead of HDD

The ssd special sauce meme is just sad.

This thread is comedy gold.

"R&C looks like the cgi in pixar movies!"

"Cyberpunk is a last gen game on a last gen engine"

"I'm the official voice of positivity and reasoning in this world - proceeds to shit on everyone else in this thread who has different opinions"

The game looks good, but please let's stop with all the exaggerations and hyperboles. These same people think Metro, CP2077, FS2020, etc are unimpressive, but will praise this nonstop to the rooftops.

Unknown?

sCr3lIb.png

Time to use some ointment on that painful butthurt. This is embarrassing.

Last edited:

Kazza

Well, at least the Sony faithful can sleep easy safe in the knowledge that this is one console exclusive which will never make it to PC. Even the most powerful $25k PC with a Ryzen 5900X, RTX3090, 64BG of RAM and the latest NVMe SSD would choke to death trying to gulp down all the Cerny secret sauce infused into this Ratchet game. It makes Flight Simulator, Cyberpunk and Metro Enhanced Edition look like Pong!!!

Playstation only gamers really are the worst.

The next gen feature is SSD standard instead of HDD

The ssd special sauce meme is just sad.
They are the worst. I've said nothing negative about this game or PlayStation at all, and I'm basically being attacked by them.
What's wrong with asking for something new when I was promised something new? This is all I got though.
0DacPjm.png

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This game based on what I've see, just needs 60FPS. I don't care if you drop res way lower, it will still look amazing.

Mister Wolf

The only thing I'm noticing is the fast travel which alot has been scripted. The last game had planets you could travel to from a menu and go back there. I want to see the player control the portals and travel between planets/levels/worlds near instantaneously by their own choice.

Starfield

btw I'm not shitting on this game. I would love to play it especially for that new lombax or however theyre called. The artstyle is amazing.

I'm just shitting on console fanboyism thats always attached to these kinds of threads

Last edited:
This thread is comedy gold.

"R&C looks like the cgi in pixar movies!"

"Cyberpunk is a last gen game on a last gen engine"

"I'm the official voice of positivity and reasoning in this world - proceeds to shit on everyone else in this thread who has different opinions"

The game looks good, but please let's stop with all the exaggerations and hyperboles. These same people think Metro, CP2077, FS2020, etc are unimpressive, but will praise this nonstop to the rooftops.
Doubling down on a shit post doesn't make your point anymore right.

NEbeast

Hey man I don't wanna derail or destroy your thread. I'll leave, no worries! Power of the SSD is just a thing thats too complicated for me man, I'm glad you know it so well.

Damn really? Hope my PC will catch up at some point. I really need to upgrade my SSD to a super SSD then.
Man, you're salty. You posted a screenshot of a cross gen game to bolster your argument, you lost the argument right there. Stay out of threads if you're just going to spew nonsense and derail the thread.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
60fps option will be available this summer, via firmware update. It is required to install a secondary SSD to enable the 60fps mode. If you add external storage, you'll enable RT @ 60fps.
There's also a 120fps mode, but ps5 doesn't have enough usb ports.
The 120fps mode will require to chance the main SSD. Good thing Sony didn't solder it on the mainboard allowing to be changed if you want or need when it die.

Last edited:
I love ratchet (it is one of if not my favorite franchise) and can't wait to play, but you lost me at Cyberpunk isnt next gen.
Some specific fans can't simply praise a game, and leave it at that. They have to shit on something else to make themselves feel better. Liking something doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to hating something else. Just because I prefer steak, doesn't mean I now have to hate lobster.

I wish threads didn't devolve into this kind of behavior, but it is 2021 and we're on GAF...

Starfield

I love ratchet (it is one of if not my favorite franchise) and can't wait to play, but you lost me at Cyberpunk isnt next gen.
Man, you're salty. Talking about Cyberpunk not being a cross gen game. You lost the argument right there. Stay out of threads if you're just going to spew nonsense and derail the thread.

Last edited:

Lethal01

This is like being used to DF tier analysis and then some random Youtuber wants a piece of the tech analysis pie so he puts out a 15 minute video with a fake FPS graph overlay and says stuff like "look at these pixels wow"

That's exactly what VFX threads feel like though, 6 paragraphs of things you notices by playing the game without a blindfold.

Reactions: Rea

wOs

Man, you're salty. Talking about Cyberpunk not being a cross gen game. You lost the argument right there. Stay out of threads if you're just going to spew nonsense and derail the thread.

1. Not sure what made my post salty at all. Guess that's just easy to say in a thread.

2. I didn't realize that a game can't also support older systems to be considered having next gen features on a platform that supports those features. If that is a qualifier you are correct.

1. Not sure what made my post salty at all. Guess that's just easy to say in a thread.

2. I didn't realize that a game can't also support older systems to be considered having next gen features on a platform that supports those features. If that is a qualifier you are correct.
I think he meant to quote the other person instead.

Starfield

I give you a slight hint: look one post below your original one. wasn't against you

Last edited:

Starfield

I'm really not impressed by this game. At least not by those recent gameplay trailer and this looked a lot better imo:

I was expecting more, and the fact that it's not a 60FPS game is a big bummer too.

i think it looks the same just without HUD and horrible youtube stream compression

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm really not impressed by this game. At least not by those recent gameplay trailer and this looked a lot better imo:

I was expecting more, and the fact that it's not a 60FPS game is a big bummer too.

The game will have a 60 fps mode. They confirmed it last year.

Miles had a 4k 60 fps mode without ray tracing and a 1440p 60 fps mode with ray tracing.

Zok310

Banned

sCr3lIb.png

Fucking 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
i think it looks the same just without HUD and horrible youtube stream compression
I'm talking about grass density, shadows, post process and surprisingly clipping. Imo there is clearly a downgrade but the game still look good. I'm just not wowed.

The game will have a 60 fps mode. They confirmed it last year.

Miles had a 4k 60 fps mode without ray tracing and a 1440p 60 fps mode with ray tracing.
I know, but this should be 60 FPS and that's it, no compromise.

Your so thick and dont understand anything at all, you just keep speeing hatred its as if you dont want the ps5 io to exist its like you cant sleep. Your ignorance is your biggest problem. Go and protest outside if you dont like it. Ive explained to u enough times but u either hate understanding or just despise knowledge.
OTGZCZj.jpg
h0dYC29.jpg

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You still dont get it. You can keep cusing and being thick thats nobodys problem but yours. Goodluck with ur pc ssd.
I still really dont get it why that took 27 seconds to load. And I think I don't need luck with my SDD as it already loads that in like 5 seconds. Who need luck is some warriors to keep getting tech from pc to keep prising like it is some console tech achievement.

Last edited:
I still really dont get it why that took 27 seconds to load. And I think I don't need luck with my SDD as it already loads that in like 5 seconds. Who need luck is some warriors to keep getting tech from pc to keep prising like it is some console tech achievement.
Sorry the comment was made for the other guy.

Top Bottom