• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Another 30 fps Ratchet game? Guess I'll just stick with the original PS2 trilogy. Meeting the same standards that the series set 13 years ago really shouldn't be too much to ask.

Insomniac has been a 30fps studio for years now. They've made it clear that they won't go for 60 any more, it's not a surprise.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
looks pretty. First level looked uninteresting. However, second one looked promising.

well, Metropolis is the first / training level of the game

$40?

On one hand, nice price. But on the other hand, I hope this doesn't mean it'll be another short R&C game like Into the Nexus was. Itching for a game that's at least as long as A Crack in Time.

it's a full game, and much longer than ITN

Shin

Banned
Play the game, based on the movie, based on the game haha, I like it.
The Gamersyde trailer looks really crisp, game play looks great as well.

10676311_10152996838483995_4038198369872550491_n.jpg

reKon

Banned
Another 30 fps Ratchet game? Guess I'll just stick with the original PS2 trilogy. Meeting the same standards that the series set 13 years ago really shouldn't be too much to ask.

These shitposts need to stop.

ToD and ACiT were both at 60 FPS.

This game looks amazing and is running smooth. The gameplay surpasses that of the original ratchet and clank easily in literally every aspect and looks like a pixar movie. How's that for standards?

GnawtyDog

Banned
I dont know what the fuck you're even trying to say anymore

Did you think I was arguing that 30 fps > 60 fps? or that there is no difference between 30 fps and 60 fps? People are too eager to take posters on GAF as stupid, to debate, and set someone straight with superior knowledge. I am not even going to answer both... see which some of you quickly went for.

isn't pixelator a morph weapon?

Dont they just explode into pixels?

Morph weapon would be something like the sheepinator or the freeze ray that turns dudes into snowmen

Did you think I was arguing that 30 fps > 60 fps? or that there is no difference between 30 fps and 60 fps? People are too eager to take posters on GAF as stupid, to debate, and set someone straight with superior knowledge.

It's never a case of one being better than the other because there are pros and cons in either situation. I dont agree that it's a hypothetical though. We've seen what a Ratchet game looks like at 30fps vs 60fps and I dont think it's outlandish that some people prefer the series at 60fps. It has some twitch shooting elements that really do benefit from a higher frame rate.

Also TLOU is not the only game where you can make a direct comparison, there are plenty.

GKFinns

What an amazing way to wake up. This trailer was so good for me, I had a smile on my face the entire time. Ratchet and Clank was my all time favorite new IP that debuted during the PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation. Crack in Time remains one of my top game experiences from last generation.

So, this game is pretty much my jam.

Daingurse

I really don't see why 60 fps is a necessity with R&C of all things if I'm being honest

60fps would have better game feel, can't really be argued. So I can easily see why people would want it, especially since the series has precedence at 60fps. This is an extremely smooth looking 30fps though, dat motion blur.

Raven77

Man this looks closer to a Pixar movie than anything yet released I think. I've always loved the art style and aesthetic of the Ratchet games.

Holy shit that's gorgeous!

Love playing this series and those production values are incredible! Hopefully the game (and movie) does incredibly well and they keep going.

Mendax

These shitposts need to stop.

ToD and ACiT were both at 60 FPS.

This game looks amazing and is running smooth. The gameplay surpasses that of the original ratchet and clank easily in literally every aspect and looks like a pixar movie. How's that for standards?

Yes, the worst form of shitposting at that. And with every single game reveal...

Denzar

Jep. That looks like Ratchet and Clank.

That's a good thing.

I don't see any real gameplay differences though. Maybe I'm a fool to expect something "more" or "original" from a full blown remake.

Lijik

i went back and watched the original train section and i forgot how simple it was in terms of level design
floTtJe.png

the new train section blows it out of the water

hesido

Screw this.. Seriously. Ratchet and clank, at 30fps. God damn it.

I hope this is an encoding problem or whatever.. God damn. You botched it big time Insomniac. I won't even buy this at the bargain bin if it is 30fps.

Yeah, they should apologize and cancel it, or they can kiss their business goodbye and all that.

-----

The game looks incredibly clean and polished, I'm really impressed.

Clever thinking that I expect them to "apologize and cancel it or they would kiss their business goodbye and all that" because I'm not going to buy it.

I expected nothing from them except a 60fps Ratchet and clank on the PS4. Then again, the 60fps Ratchet looked ridiculously good, even in stills, let alone in motion. Still holds up to this day.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy it, I haven't bought a sub 60fps Ratchet, I'm not going to. A lot of people will love these graphics and buy it.

Oh, why did they encode this at 60fps I wonder... for the lulz?

Edit: They have a pixelizer gun. Maybe they should add a "remove the stupidly overdone hey-we-got-all-these-extra-gpu-cycles-because-are-running-30fps-Ambient-Occlusion".

Sami+

60fps would have better game feel, can't really be argued. So I can easily see why people would want it, especially since the series has precedence at 60fps. This is an extremely smooth looking 30fps though, dat motion blur.

It does, but that of course comes at the expense of other stuff. If people don't think it's a worthy trade off than that's fine, but it's an action platformer - not a fighting game. I just don't see why it's supposedly a dealbreaker.

Into the Nexus played like absolute shit. People are probably fearing it won't be a steady 30fps.

If it's a steady 30fps with no drops then it will be fine.

Hm. I haven't played any Ratchet games since ACiT so I wouldn't know.

several outlets did take direct feed playthroughs last week when we took a kit with the E3 build to San Francisco for the day

vs

b-roll which is selects.

either way, you can post them online.

Thanks again for the hands on, James.

My coverage: http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/10/r...me-and-first-film-makes-for-a-promising-2016/

Also, here's a pic I took of Ted Price on a chair:
DSC05527.jpg

That was originally intended for this photo spread of mine:
http://kotaku.com/game-developers-do-their-best-fake-gamer-impressions-p-476238551

60fps always going to come at the cost of gfx and the devs made there choice.
30fps for eye candy still it looks really smooth and the motion blur helps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Clever thinking that I expect them to "apologize and cancel it or they would kiss their business goodbye and all that" because I'm not going to buy it.

I expected nothing from them except a 60fps Ratchet and clank on the PS4. Then again, the 60fps Ratchet looked ridiculously good, even in stills, let alone in motion. Still holds up to this day.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy it, I haven't bought a sub 60fps Ratchet, I'm not going to. A lot of people will love these graphics and buy it.

Oh, why did they encode this at 60fps I wonder... for the lulz?
Higher bitrate when recording. Helps a lot on Youtube.

It does, but that of course comes at the expense of other stuff. If people don't think it's a worthy trade off than that's fine, but it's an action platformer - not a fighting game. I just don't see why it's supposedly a dealbreaker.

Hm. I haven't played any Ratchet games since ACiT so I wouldn't know.

Yeah Into the Nexus had some pretty choppy gameplay at times, it was a bit of a headache. This looks extremely smooth though so should be fine. I'm pretty sure most PS4 exclusives have been a good locked 30

farisr

Why's it only $40? Is it not a full length game or something?

Sony has been testing the $40 price a few times. This game is a full reimagining of the first one, a full length Ratchet game.

Sly 4, which wasn't a reimagining, was a full length, a brand new game, and it launched at $40.

Top Bottom