• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
but seriously though

30 fps
my favourite gun behind a fucking pre-order wall

are two kinda serious pins to my hype balloon

26k9Td7.gif

I will say without the pre-order wall, the Bouncer wouldn't be in at all. We added it specifically as a pre-order bonus fairly recently! I was so happy we managed to find a way to squeeze it in thanks to that

well, Metropolis is the first / training level of the game

it's a full game, and much longer than ITN
Can you speak to how similar this is to the first game? I know it's a reimagining. I am planning on buying the R&C Collection for PS3, but I don't want to play through 1 again so soon to this coming out if this is going to be very similar. If this is a bigger, better version of the original, I'd rather play through this and then go back and play through the rest of the R&C Collection.

Erasus

Looks amazing but not getting the same woah feeling I got from ToD

I love the PS2 and PS3 Ratchet games so Ill get this someday I guess.
Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Full Frontal Assault and Into The Nexus.... Damn PS3 Ratchet games are awesome!

Them retconning Ratchet being a jerk (which he was mostly justified in outside some areas in the first game) is annoying.

Also why doe it seems like everything runs smooth but Ratchet himself looks like he moves at 15fps?

I really don't see why 60 fps is a necessity with R&C of all things if I'm being honest

It really isn't. As proven by Nexus which played and felt exactly the same as the others.

R&C has been my favorite series for a long time. I was apprehensive about the change but after playing Nexus. Realized there wasn't a single difference control wise.

Clever thinking that I expect them to "apologize and cancel it or they would kiss their business goodbye and all that" because I'm not going to buy it.

I expected nothing from them except a 60fps Ratchet and clank on the PS4. Then again, the 60fps Ratchet looked ridiculously good, even in stills, let alone in motion. Still holds up to this day.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy it, I haven't bought a sub 60fps Ratchet, I'm not going to. A lot of people will love these graphics and buy it.

Oh, why did they encode this at 60fps I wonder... for the lulz?

Edit: They have a pixelizer gun. Maybe they should add a "remove the stupidly overdone hey-we-got-all-these-extra-gpu-cycles-because-are-running-30fps-Ambient-Occlusion".

so much salt. wow.

i'd rather have eye candy for this type of game. played a crack in time and it isn't like it being 30 fps would've been unplayable.

Woah, the pre order weapon is the Bouncer? As in the Bouncer from Ratchet 2 and 3? Hmmm, I don't normally pre order games but damn it, I want to use that gun again!

8byte

Banned
Gamers "$60 is too much for new releases!"

Dev "Here's a game for $40"

Gamers "Must be a b-tier game. Pass."

So many have been brainwashed...

farisr

When I saw the gameplay demo/trailer for the first time, I was like "this doesn't look all that much better than the Future titles, which looked great, why is everyone gushing about the graphics like they're some sort of uber improvement" then I went back and looked at videos of those titles, I was so wrong.

Nostalgia goggles at work there.

This game looks so much better.

Edit: (Also I was watching on a tiny monitor, watching this on decent TV screen now, so good)

prwxv3

Clever thinking that I expect them to "apologize and cancel it or they would kiss their business goodbye and all that" because I'm not going to buy it.

I expected nothing from them except a 60fps Ratchet and clank on the PS4. Then again, the 60fps Ratchet looked ridiculously good, even in stills, let alone in motion. Still holds up to this day.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy it, I haven't bought a sub 60fps Ratchet, I'm not going to. A lot of people will love these graphics and buy it.

Edit: They have a pixelizer gun. Maybe they should add a "remove the stupidly overdone hey-we-got-all-these-extra-gpu-cycles-because-are-running-30fps-Ambient-Occlusion".

jesus

Kamina777

Banned
30fps kills my hype.. it looks very well done but that split second gameplay was what made the original games more than just a mascot cash in a time where a lot of games were just that. Thanks for the memories IG, at least it will find a new audience on ps4.

OlgerO

Neo Member
The game looks great. I wonder why they did not reveal this at the E3 press conference, It could have been a cool anouncement.

Jigorath

Banned
People are surprised? Sony leaks all their stuff before E3 since like 3 years ago at least.

This isn't a leak. It's a pre-E3 reveal. They're likely doing it so the announcement doesn't get lost in the shuffle with all the major announcements happening at the actual show.

I like you.

Not Really.

Glad to see this at $40

More games need to be flexible with pricing, and I think $40 is a fantastic value for this.

I've been buying games at $15, $20, $40, $60 new, I love the variety.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Can you speak to how similar this is to the first game? I know it's a reimagining. I am planning on buying the R&C Collection for PS3, but I don't want to play through 1 again so soon to this coming out if this is going to be very similar. If this is a bigger, better version of the original, I'd rather play through this and then go back and play through the rest of the R&C Collection.

While it follows the same bones of story (ie Ratchet meets Clank, they have to stop Drek) and visits many familiar locations, almost everything in R&C PS4 has been touched, updated, or is new.

All of the art is new and from scratch, the weapons arsenal is completely different, the controls are modern, the RPG systems are in there now, the AI and enemy set-ups are now built to accomodate for those facts, most areas have completely re-done or brand new gameplay sequences, Clank's gameplay is brand new, flight gameplay is new, James Arnold Taylor plays Ratchet in this game, all of the cinematics and cutscenes are new.

Two very different experiences.

OMG the posts there today, brutal.

NastyBook

I enjoyed every minute of Into the Nexus with its sub 30fps gameplay. Visuals on this one are incredible. I'm in at the ground floor.

hbkdx12

Does it have upgradeable weapons?

If i remember correctly the first didn't have this and it wasn't introduced until going commando so if this is a remake of the first i wonder if it'll be included

Wow wow wow, brings me back to 10 years ago. I loved the Ratchet & Clank series, and this looks pretty damn awesome. Will definitely pick this up~ I hope there's an arena part in it! I loved the one in the 3rd one.

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's never a case of one being better than the other because there are pros and cons in either situation. I dont agree that it's a hypothetical though. We've seen what a Ratchet game looks like at 30fps vs 60fps and I dont think it's outlandish that some people prefer the series at 60fps. It has some twitch shooting elements that really do benefit from a higher frame rate.

If you feel strongly about it, the more power to you to make a decision of whether or not to support the game at 30 fps. What I have seen is good enough that I don't need it to be 60 fps in order for me to buy it or enjoy it. Others might feel different and they have voiced that opinion - it's fair. No need to boil like a steam train for an improvement you'll probably never see is all I said. And, that makes it hypothetical, as it pertains to this case. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word hypothetical, I can see why I received said responses but I shouldn't hold back using certain words just because people are eager to debate and jump to conclusions imo. I guess it could be debated in terms of hypothetis vs. theory but that would derail the thread - much more - better for pms.

Also TLOU is not the only game where you can make a direct comparison, there are plenty.

There are plenty indeed.

Top Bottom