• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank Redux coming to PS4

zeromcd73

Was thinking of selling my PS4 from watching the conference so far, but after hearing about this I might not.

Really sad we didn't see anything about it :(

VLiberty

This saved the conference for me.

Also, now my choice between One and PS4 is basically "which Insomniac game I want the most" since R&CR and SO are the two most interesting games on each platform.

Goldrusher

It's not a remake. More of a reboot.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/10/original-ratchet-clank-re-imagined-ps4/

So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4.

As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market. Both the movie and game will be available in the first half of 2015.

Our California and North Carolina studios will work on the game together – marking our deepest cross-country collaboration since the Durham studio was founded in 2009. Many of the original developers responsible for the very first Ratchet & Clank game will get an opportunity to create the stunning Solana Galaxy our fans have been clamoring for. Longtime Design Director Brian Allgeier, North Carolina Studio Director Chad Dezern and Game Director Shaun McCabe will lead the project.

SykoTech

Expected, but happy to hear it confirmed.

I hope they go all out and don't just settle for movie tie-in standards. Insomniac themselves are making though, so I have faith.

Takao

Banned
Sony's in the business of making movie tie-ins now? Shouldn't have sold those Spider-Man merch rights, or else we may have gotten some half decent Spidey games.

Poona

Yeah, definitely getting a PS4 for this and all the better third party releases.

Funny thing is that their other game Sunset Overdrive is really the only thing tempting me to the xbone (since MS seems to not care about Rare at the moment), but I think that can hold off for longer and I'll just stick with Insomniac on the ps4 for the time being.

Great, I'll buy it. Essenially, it's a whole new game.

But a PSN download? :/

Eeep. Definitely not getting hyped up for a download. I hope for a retail release!

18-Volt

R&C1? Hardest one. If you really have to do a remaster at least you could choose a less difficult game, insomniac! Like, 3rd game?

Sony's in the business of making movie tie-ins now? Shouldn't have sold those Spider-Man merch rights, or else we may have gotten some half decent Spidey games.

Did they actually sell the rights? Activision has been making Spider-man games since 1999 iirc.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ugh, Johnny Test has retroactively ruined Ratchet and Clank for me...if I closed my eyes I'd swear I was watching that damn show.

Looked really good though graphically.

Was thinking of selling my PS4 from watching the conference so far, but after hearing about this I might not.

Sell your PS4 then. That conference was just great. And what do you plan on doing without your PS4? Beast PC then? We have TGS and more coming up. It's still only 2014 dude.

I'm all over this game.

Bandit1

Yiss! I'm excited! I love Ratchet and Clank and was hoping for a movie tie-in. The first game was great, but the sequels improved a lot on the gameplay, so this is nice to see. Very happy that Insomniac is making it as well.

Weiss

Banned
I genuinely enjoyed the more epic story of the Future series, so I'm down with a bigger focus on story for Ratchet.

I hope it's not a total reboot, though.

RK128

So, you are telling me that people who worked on the PS2 tittles and the Future Series are back making Ratchet and Clank again?! ....Welp, now I really gotta get a PS4 in the future :D; loved the Future series and the PS2 tittles, so those guys working on the series again (alongside the team that worked on Nexus on board with this) all make this a game to really look out for next year :).

I wonder what exactly are they going to change up though; I expect gameplay from the Future Series/Nexus to be the backs gameplay here but the fact it is a 'reboot' so to speak really opens the doors for some great innovation for the series. Expanded use of Ratchet's wrench (maybe have that also upgrade like the weapons), deep leveling-up system for the weapons, new gameplay for Clank, really vivid worlds to explore, branching paths within levels and the return of the extra moons from A Crack in Time could really make this game shine :).

Really happy that we are getting another Ratchet and Clank game for PS4; almost expected Insomniac to have another team work on the series after Nexus (considering they are working on Sunset Overdrive and are busy with the movie).

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.

Really, now? C'mon; it's not like this is some end-all-be-all conference.

But yes, I will gladly accept more R&C.

PaulloDEC

Fantastic news. I'd kinda wondered how they were planning to deal with the disconnect between the movie's origin story and the much later timeline of the games. This seems like a good way to do it.

Also, more Ratchet.

VPO.gif

Best stealth announcement of the conference.

R&C is always welcome in my house. A reboot of the first (that I never had the pleasure of playing)? YES PLEASE.

Tambini

If this is a reboot and launches a whole new line of Ratchet games I will be very happy.

A one off just a remake of the first would be dissapointing because I'd prefer the ps3/vita hd versions for all 3 titles.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I love Ratchet abd Clank, so I am there day one. Sony's conference was excellent. So many games. Doesn't matter to me which ones are exclusive, as I'm getting them all on PS4/Vita regardless.

The announcement for this game was poorly done. It leaned way too heavily on the movie.

If one wasn't paying attention, it's as if there was no ;legit remake of the first game coming to PS4.

scitek

30fps or 60fps?

I hate that I even have to honestly ask that.

And the movie'll run at the same framerate as Into The Nexus, so it could be decent.

Kinsei

Banned
Why just the first one? If you're going to re-release Ratchet on the PS4 make it a bundle with the HD collection, the Future trilogy, All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, and Into the Nexus.

Takao

Banned
Did they actually sell the rights? Activision has been making Spider-man games since 1999 iirc.

Sony Pictures was basically forced to sell all Spider-Man merchandise rights to Disney. It would've been weird to see Sony do a Spider-Man anyways, since it's still a licensed property.

Top Bottom