• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart Loading Is Just 1s, But It Will Be Even Faster In Final Game

bitbydeath

Impressive.
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart has super-fast load times with players estimating it to be just around 1 second, but this will be even shorter in the final game.

EDk80g6.gif

However, this is actually not the optimal load time as per James Stevenson, the community manager at Insomniac Games.

“It’ll probably be slightly faster even by the time you play it in June, ” replied Stevenson

Holammer

Not saying it's slow, but that's just smart design hiding behind-the-scenes asset streaming giving the illusion of fast loading. The days of the player character laboriosly opening a door that'll close after him are gone. The new area started streaming into memory from a hidden hook before she even hit the portal.

Allandor

Impressive.

EDk80g6.gif

1s is not instant :p

just joking. Looks great so far. But I really hope they didn't include the "feature" just to include it ^^
But especially this scene is more or less a "bad" example for high-speed-loading. Because this is a time-shift and the base-geometry etc is already there ;) ... just in a bit nitpicking mood today ^^

Thirty7ven

Banned
I would love some clarity with these loading time stats, is that 1s for the game menu to game, from OS to Game, or the transition between levels?

Yes we really need to dig deep here and find something for the narrative. Somebody get us the Armaggedon crew.

pasterpl

Yes we really need to dig deep here and find something for the narrative. Somebody get us the Armaggedon crew.
you might be sarcastic, but like with SpiderMan MM there was a lot of discrepancies in reported load time numbers as people were looking at different metrics and calling them the same "load times"

Thirty7ven

Banned
you might be sarcastic, but like with SpiderMan MM there was a lot of discrepancies in reported load time numbers as people were looking at different metrics and calling them the same "load times"

Not sure what you are talking about, loading a save in Spiderman is like two seconds. These were launch games too, so data management is only going to get better and better. Not much to say either when a game loads that fast, and the real exciting use of the I/O is all about data streaming options during gameplay anyway. Unreal 5 demo and all that...

Save state loading was always going to be the tip of the iceberg. It's unfortunate that lighting rendering obsessed folks like the ones working at Digital Foundry convinced so many people that it was just about that. Oh well, no stopping reality.

Last edited:

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
How long does it take to get into the game from unwrapping the disk to controlling the character?

How long does it take from clicking the "Download" button on PSN to controlling the character? Are we going to be so daft as to blame your Internet speeds as well as the Bluray read speed? Then lets add the car ride from the game store to your house as well.

Come on.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Road to PS5 aging like the finest of wines.
Yup.

Whats wild, and still wild to this day...alot of answers ppl have questions about is in there. Has been since day 1.

When I realized many ppl overlooked Cerny having slides saying RDNA 2 cu's when the crazy ass RDNA 1 fud campaign was going on...I knew not to take some ppl serious. Dismissing everything else that pointed to it being RDNA 2 based...the slides were definite proof and was known since March 18, 2020.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Makes you wonder why third party games don't make use of the SSD this way. Not that it really bothers me, they're still pretty fast, but where's the secret sauce? It's an incredibly fast SSD, you have to try not to take advantage of it.

Top Bottom