• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart Loading Is Just 1s, But It Will Be Even Faster In Final Game

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You expect me to wait 1 second? Preorder cancelled until they fix this mess

Fucking Jim Ryan
8286.jpg

It was a mistake to acquire Insomniac...
james franco wtf GIF

Last edited:

pasterpl

Not sure what you are talking about, loading a save in Spiderman is like two seconds. These were launch games too, so data management is only going to get better and better. Not much to say either when a game loads that fast, and the real exciting use of the I/O is all about data streaming options during gameplay anyway. Unreal 5 demo and all that...

Save state loading was always going to be the tip of the iceberg. It's unfortunate that lighting rendering obsessed folks like the ones working at Digital Foundry convinced so many people that it was just about that. Oh well, no stopping reality.

interesting, see below, from os to game it can take up to 20s, from game menu to game 10s, loading save states is around 2s

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Makes you wonder why third party games don't make use of the SSD this way. Not that it really bothers me, they're still pretty fast, but where's the secret sauce? It's an incredibly fast SSD, you have to try not to take advantage of it.
I'm assuming development software/tools, environment.

Something I think UE5 and MS with their PC software seem ready to address, solve. Might be easier right now for first party, exclusive studios vs 3rd parties.

Even tho Sony isnt using UE5 right now, I can bet that their studios have revamped the dev software/tools to take advantage of the SSD. I expect Sony and MS studios to do it more vs 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Makes you wonder why third party games don't make use of the SSD this way. Not that it really bothers me, they're still pretty fast, but where's the secret sauce? It's an incredibly fast SSD, you have to try not to take advantage of it.

Legacy game engine I assume. It will take time to adapt those to use the new I/O APIs I assume.

Shmunter

its almost as if they designed their entire engine around a feature specifically to show it off.

no doubt the data streaming is impressive tho, but are they going to add some actual interesting gameplay to the series finally too?
What do you mean add interesting gameplay? It’s the only cartoon game that a seasoned gamer like me could be bothered with. due to playing so nicely on top of the Pixar gfx.

Last edited:

truth411

its almost as if they designed their entire engine around a feature specifically to show it off.

no doubt the data streaming is impressive tho, but are they going to add some actual interesting gameplay to the series finally too?
Joke post?
There streaming entire levels in 1 second. Just imagine the gameplay scenarios that could lead to, like set pieces if your chasing a villain.

nerdface

Banned
How long does it take from clicking the "Download" button on PSN to controlling the character? Are we going to be so daft as to blame your Internet speeds as well as the Bluray read speed? Then lets add the car ride from the game store to your house as well.

Come on.

I put a cart in my Switch and it just plays.

You didn’t answer my question. In a way, I think you did though.

Unknown?

D-. Not a complete fail, but close. Be more subtle next time please!

Thirty7ven

Banned
interesting, see below, from os to game it can take up to 20s, from game menu to game 10s, loading save states is around 2s

I just loaded Miles from main system menu (OS through activity cards), and I used my IPhone’s stopwatch - 7.40s. People getting 20 seconds and whatever, I don’t know, maybe their PS5 is faulty. That’s a big difference.

pasterpl

I just loaded Miles from main system menu (OS through activity cards), and I used my IPhone’s stopwatch - 7.40s. People getting 20 seconds and whatever, I don’t know, maybe their PS5 is faulty. That’s a big difference.
Odd thing I have noticed is that some of them say that the first load is slower and then it is getting faster, also need to take into the account that those tests were made when the game was released and it is possible that some patches improved the loading. Don’t get me wrong, 7s from so to game is amazing, 2s save to game is true next gen, and below 1s that ratchet is promising is even more impressive, didn’t want to troll or anything, was just curious what that 1s applies to

nerdface

Banned
How many games can you even fit on a PS5 hdd.

Pretending that you won’t be in an install screen every time you want to play a game is pretty disingenuous. Especially so you can claim 1s after all the ‘doesnt count’ loading is over.

It doesn’t matter now cause there’s like...2 games worth owning?

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Go cry somewhere else. Insecure bby boi.

I’m asking because I’m looking down the barrel of a PS5 purchase, and am debating the disk drive.

I’m not the manchild running damage control for his favorite LLC.

Still no answer btw.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m asking because I’m looking down the barrel of a PS5 purchase, and am debating the disk drive.

I’m not the manchild running damage control for his favorite LLC.

Still no answer btw.
Your original argument was whack pertaining to the topic of this thread.

The answers are out there if you "are really truly interested."

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Odd thing I have noticed is that some of them say that the first load is slower and then it is getting faster, also need to take into the account that those tests were made when the game was released and it is possible that some patches improved the loading. Don’t get me wrong, 7s from so to game is amazing, 2s save to game is true next gen, and below 1s that ratchet is promising is even more impressive, didn’t want to troll or anything, was just curious what that 1s applies to

Nov 6, 2020

nerdface

Banned
That’s a lot of butthurt over a simple question.

So does anyone know the ‘doesnt count’ load time for this game or not?

ethomaz

Banned
How many games can you even fit on a PS5 hdd.

Pretending that you won’t be in an install screen every time you want to play a game is pretty disingenuous. Especially so you can claim 1s after all the ‘doesnt count’ loading is over.

It doesn’t matter now cause there’s like...2 games worth owning?
It can hold more games than PS4 1TB for example.
If that is what you want to know.

Games are way smaller on PS5.

Last edited:
I was promised .27 seconds. This is the final transgression Jim Ryan. I'm tearing up my Playstation bed sheets and burning them as we speak.

nerdface

Banned
You're not in the "how many games can the PS5 hold since this game is hum drum and they are lying about load times because gAmE iNstAlLs" thread either.

Give shit, get shit. Do you need a safe space?

That’s how I feel. Brag about your load times, get some push back.

You feel that deep up inside? That’s me.

Top Bottom