• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart Loading Is Just 1s, But It Will Be Even Faster In Final Game

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That’s how I feel. Brag about your load times, get some push back.

You feel that deep up inside? That’s me.
Game Show Genius GIF by ABC Network

JTCx

How many games can you even fit on a PS5 hdd.

Pretending that you won’t be in an install screen every time you want to play a game is pretty disingenuous. Especially so you can claim 1s after all the ‘doesnt count’ loading is over.

It doesn’t matter now cause there’s like...2 games worth owning?
Youre doing it wrong. You should go back to your secret discord lot and cook up another fud campaign. Apparently this one isnt working.

Keihart

That's super cool, good way to promote it too. Who is going to measure slightly faster then almost 1 second? They could do no improvements at all and it's already super impressive and nobody would notice.

Last edited:

Keihart

How many games can you even fit on a PS5 hdd.

Pretending that you won’t be in an install screen every time you want to play a game is pretty disingenuous. Especially so you can claim 1s after all the ‘doesnt count’ loading is over.

It doesn’t matter now cause there’s like...2 games worth owning?
How? i have no problems using my small 1 TB nvme in my PC, i have 58 games installed as of now according to steam. Granted not all those games are big, but the disk is not full yet and doesn't feel small at all.
at 50 gigs a piece, you can easily install what? 16 games on a PS5? and let's be real, not every game it's either 50 or stupid big like cod's 100.

Tomeru

1s is not instant :p

just joking. Looks great so far. But I really hope they didn't include the "feature" just to include it ^^
But especially this scene is more or less a "bad" example for high-speed-loading. Because this is a time-shift and the base-geometry etc is already there ;) ... just in a bit nitpicking mood today ^^
Imagine playing games with no animations because everything is instant.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1s is not instant :p

just joking. Looks great so far. But I really hope they didn't include the "feature" just to include it ^^
But especially this scene is more or less a "bad" example for high-speed-loading. Because this is a time-shift and the base-geometry etc is already there ;) ... just in a bit nitpicking mood today ^^
Fight Club Hug GIF

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I put a cart in my Switch and it just plays.

You didn’t answer my question. In a way, I think you did though.

Well, I'll give you the point that after unwrapping a brand new physical copy of the game, you can "instantly" start playing a "portable game" experience, for the entire duration of your playthrough.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Makes you wonder why third party games don't make use of the SSD this way. Not that it really bothers me, they're still pretty fast, but where's the secret sauce? It's an incredibly fast SSD, you have to try not to take advantage of it.
I imagine it is because they are held back by having to cater for other systems with slower I/O. Maybe not worth them optimising their engines for it just yet, or just haven't had time to do so.

nerdface

Banned
Well, I'll give you the point that after unwrapping a brand new physical copy of the game, you can "instantly" start playing a "portable game" experience, for the entire duration of your playthrough.

You can hold your nose up in the air over graphics. It doesn’t bother me.

spyshagg

You can hold your nose up in the air over graphics. It doesn’t bother me.

How sad does one have to be with their console purchase choice, for them to feel the need to come into a topic discussing a 4K60 console game whose assets measure above 50GBytes of data, criticizing it for not being "instant" the exact moment you insert the disc for the first time.

Be happy with what you have, kid.

nerdface

Banned
How sad does one have to be with their console purchase choice, for them to feel the need to come into a topic discussing a 4K60 console game whose assets measure above 50GBytes of data, criticizing it for not being "instant" the exact moment you insert the disc for the first time.

Be happy with what you have, kid.

how sad do you have to be to resort to ad hominem attacks instead of staying on topic?

as you grow up, you’ll find ideas make better targets than people 👍

spyshagg

how sad do you have to be to resort to ad hominem attacks instead of staying on topic?

The topic was doing fine and on track both in discussion and in common sense, before your disguised cry for help.

nerdface

Banned
The topic was doing fine and on track both in discussion and in common sense, before your disguised cry for help.

The topic was about load times. I asked how long they really are, and was attacked personally.

...your post included. Did you have something to add to the actual topic, or are you just lashing out?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not saying it's slow, but that's just smart design hiding behind-the-scenes asset streaming giving the illusion of fast loading. The days of the player character laboriosly opening a door that'll close after him are gone. The new area started streaming into memory from a hidden hook before she even hit the portal.

The entire RAM can be filled with new data in just over 2 seconds at 5.5GB/s (even faster in practice, thanks to texture compression etc), and they probably (definitely) don't need to replace 100% of the loaded data when performing a warp like this, so it's completely feasible that it's actually loading all data in that one second.

If they did what you suggest (which is how it had to be done in the slow HDD days) they'd be wasting tons of memory that they then couldn't use for data for the current scene/world because it would be reserved for loading the next world. One of the main upsides of having very fast data transfers is exactly that you DON'T have to waste memory on stuff you MIGHT need in a little while, because you can simply load the data you need when you need it. Thanks to this the leap in usable memory is actually a lot larger in practice than the numbers (8 -> 16 GB) suggest.

In summary, I believe you are wrong.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Incredible graphics! But the water/liquid is still flat like the 2016 title, or i'm wrong ? I hate flat water/liquid in games, and on playstation 5 it's no longer excusable! I hope i'm wrong, because it's not clear from the footage, at least for me.

spyshagg

The topic was about load times. I asked how long they really are, and was attacked personally.

...your post included. Did you have something to add to the actual topic, or are you just lashing out?

The topic is about in-game loading times.

There is quite a difference between being "personally attacked" and being caught with your pants down making subliminal trolling attempts.

You can keep trying changing the meaning of what you said, it makes for a fun reading.

How long does it take to get into the game from unwrapping the disk to controlling the character?

I put a cart in my Switch and it just plays.

You didn’t answer my question. In a way, I think you did though.

nerdface

Banned
Fucking L.O.L.

You sony fans are so insufferable, it might be a moot point after all. Who wants to hang out with these people.

I’m not going to debate ‘doesn’t count’ load times with corporate shills.

It takes time to load a game off a disk. You want to argue semantics like that isn’t load times, fine. Whatever makes rubbing one out easier for you tonight.

dcmk7

Banned
Fucking L.O.L.

You sony fans are so insufferable, it might be a moot point after all. Who wants to hang out with these people.

It takes time to load a game off a disk. You want to argue semantics like that isn’t load times, fine. Whatever makes rubbing one out easier for you tonight.
Are you ok?

You're so upset. I wonder what's bothering you... you don't like the positive news for a Sony game maybe?

Sad.

dcmk7

Banned
Let’s revisit that trolling narrative, shall we?

whos here to talk about R/C load times, and who’s here to slurp on my nuts?
Wanting to know how long is takes to unwrap a game and then get to a menu screen is a serious question then? :messenger_smirking:

I don't see how that's anything to do with the in-game loading myself.

In any case why is that important exactly? Installing a game too much for you?

Is that why you're lashing out at everyone like a child?

Daymos

Amazing! It would take me at least 2 seconds to decide that I have no interest in playing play ratchet and clank.

I was always more of a jak and daxter kind of guy, back before they created Ellie in a secret satanic underground lab.

spyshagg

Fucking L.O.L.

Pc gamer first and foremost here. The entire topic is about in-game loading times between levels.

You would know that but you probably just read the topic title and decided to post anyway, which is another peculiar personality trait not far removed from dumbness.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Pc gamer first and foremost here. The entire topic is about in-game loading times between levels.

You would know that but you probably just read the topic title and decided to post anyway, which is another peculiar personality trait not far removed from dumbness.

No, this thread was about how amazing R&C load times are. Less than a single second. Sony fans want to perpetuate this narrative that some load times count and some don't. As a consumer that was looking at a purchase, I think that's bullshit. I don't care how many of you are making money in this ecosystem. I'm the potential customer, so I get to decide what load times are, and what is too long.

This thread has convinced me to save the money on a PS5...for a multitude of reasons. Thanks for your help!

spyshagg

No, this thread was about how amazing R&C load times are. Less than a single second. Sony fans want to perpetuate this narrative that some load times count and some don't. As a consumer that was looking at a purchase, I think that's bullshit. I don't care how many of you are making money in this ecosystem. I'm the potential customer, so I get to decide what load times are, and what is too long.

This thread has convinced me to save the money on a PS5...for a multitude of reasons. Thanks for your help!
glad to help.

dcmk7

Banned

So does this mean you will no longer be posting in threads dedicated to PS5 games?

Excited George Costanza GIF

Billbofet

Will there soon be a separate thread for each option in this game's, most likely, revolutionary options menu? Can't there just be one specific echo chamber.. err... I mean thread about this game? That way all marketing for this can be maintained in one spot.

Thief1987

Will there soon be a separate thread for each option in this game's, most likely, revolutionary options menu? Can't there just be one specific echo chamber.. err... I mean thread about this game? That way all marketing for this can be maintained in one spot.
You are necrobumped a month old thread to complain about "too much threads"? This is some galaxy brain thing to do.

SLB1904

Banned

i cannot stress the improvement of loading times compared to ps4. and it's more noticeable when you start to switch between last-gen and new-gen games. so yeah its pretty obvious why we corporate shills are excited for good loading times.

Interfectum

Get Out No GIF

Renozokii

its almost as if they designed their entire engine around a feature specifically to show it off.

no doubt the data streaming is impressive tho, but are they going to add some actual interesting gameplay to the series finally too?
No they should have just kept making resistance over and over, get to resistance infinite, and then delay it by a year because they forgot how make game.

Renozokii

No but like, seriously why are you here? Is your entire point that you have to wait for something the download once after you buy it? That’s really what you are spending your time pointing out?

Top Bottom