• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet And Clank: Rift Apart Story Playthrough (5 hours and 20 minutes - no challenges, sidequests etc)

Kuranghi

but 5 times 2.5 is not 20+.

Is the video a 100% run? Even 8 hours for 100% would mean I'll take me around 20 and I'm sure the average 100% run will take more than that since this is speeding through the game.

GIF by Identity

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Play it on Hard. When those cutesy bosses start whipping your ass bet it wont be a 5 hour game.

Last edited:
It will take me around 20h or soo , it was the same lenght for Uncharted 4 and it took me around 18h or soo , i explore alot and i fuck around with the photo mode .

Reindeer

That's with cutscenes btw, without them it's like 3,5 hours of gameplay if you rush through.

Last edited:

Unknown?

There is no need to be upset. People are just focusing on one type of playthrough, while there are actually several types. The video is the "rush main" type. Most people don't play like that.
I'm not upset, I'm pointing out how the OP is upset(not because he thinks it's short) and positioning the thread to mislead just like people tried to do with the PS4 game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

True or not, this is something thats always worried me about graphics getting better. I remember playing a game, cant remember which, but i walked intoa room that was lavishly detailed, with detailed assets and texturs, of which was only in this one room in the whole game, and it was a room you just walked through ina few seconds. And i was thinking 'how long, and how many, devs did it take to make this one room, and you just walk through it'.
I think doing open world games will bypass that a bit as you can ust fill the world with assets and textures you made. Linear games must surely be either going shorter, or away completely, just because of the money price involved.

Kuranghi

Do any of you guys here actually play games like this? Where you just run through every area and never stop?

To me thats like speed reading a book and not taking in the meaning of the words, a totally mental waste of your time and money.

True or not, this is something thats always worried me about graphics getting better. I remember playing a game, cant remember which, but i walked intoa room that was lavishly detailed, with detailed assets and texturs, of which was only in this one room in the whole game, and it was a room you just walked through ina few seconds. And i was thinking 'how long, and how many, devs did it take to make this one room, and you just walk through it'.
I think doing open world games will bypass that a bit as you can ust fill the world with assets and textures you made. Linear games must surely be either going shorter, or away completely, just because of the money price involved.
Had the same feeling when I played Uncharted 2 and 3. I was like "damn all this work just for me to run through it within minutes".

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Im inclined to look at the bright side on this. This is probably what it takes to get next gen games out the door within our lifetime, unlike stuff like GTA, Starfield, Gotham Knights etc etc

Powerpyx is a trophy guide channel, they don't do speed run unless there is trophy requirement .

The length is believable. The side stuff can be fun and plenty if similar to last game though.

Stuart360

Had the same feeling when I played Uncharted 2 and 3. I was like "damn all this work just for me to run through it within minutes".
Its part of the reason why i dont think there will be any next gen games that look as good as that UE5 demo on PS5/PC. I mean how long, and how many devs, did it take Epic to make that?, and the demo is what?, 5mins long?.

Powerpyx is a trophy guide channel, they don't do speed run unless there is trophy requirement .

The length is believable. The side stuff can be fun and plenty if similar to last game though.
Yeah but they also prioritize getting through the game as quickly as possible to get those trophies as efficiently as possible so that you can move on to the next game to mindlessly blast through for trophies. Visual novel trophy guides will literally point out if the game lets you hit skip for all text.

And then you play TLOU2 and wish it was shorter

truth411

I don't mind shorter games....but I do feel for Playstation 5 owners who are going to be done with this after a weekend and then wonder "When is the next PS5 exclusive?" before realizing there isn't one on the calendar yet.

Hopefully that changes over this next week, but I don't have a lot of faith in Sony as of the last six months.
This is a very bad take. Its a RatchetnClank game, never rely on a speed run for the length of any game. Almost all main RatchetnClank games for me last about 16hrs (A crack in time was the last full length one.)
But with NG+ and upgrading all weapons to max including the RYNO there is plenty of replay ability. Folks who play RatchetnClank know what to expect.
Also I dont understand the "Lack of faith in Sony"
Next up is Kena Bridge of Spirits : August
Deathloop: September
Horizon 2: November?

Both Sony and Nintendo are doing fine, its Xbox that haven't release any content for its system.

SpokkX

I am actually wondering, for the first time, if watching a game would be better than playing

i really want to see the visuals and i have dropped every single ratchet game after 2-3 hours. I just dont find them fun

especially with that price tag

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If this is the players first run and 5 hours 20 includes cut scenes that is actually very disappointing to hear. I'll buy on disk and just trade it in straight away. Hopefully I won't lose much.

I love the games so it's gon a be great. Just seems short with cutscenes.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I guess I'm weird in not giving a rats ass about how long someone took to finish a game that I'd really like to play. Unless of course it is a situation where many sources are reporting that the game is like 2 hours long at most and feels like a demo. There is a line.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Some of you people I swear. Trying to quantify or justify what value is to those of us who make up our own minds. It's so old it's ridiculous.

I should be mad because you made this thread?

And then the fanboy mindset uses petty shit people like you perpetuate by making something that means nothing into some arbitrary nitpick because why?

These games are expensive and offer enough for a person like me to best in probably double the time given the way I play.

And before someone tries to poke holes into my opinion, think about what making the thread implies and how some will look to run with this as a negative as if it invalidates strong positive outlook on the game.

The rest of us will look forward to the likes of this, Horizon, Halo, Kena, or other titles that don't deserve baseless scrutiny to justify their position as if it applies to most of us. And in case you didn't know, it doesn't. A great game can be 1 or hour or 10 hours long.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Trophy Guides always go for the max efficiency / fastest way to get all trophies... so it is really is a rushed playthrough.... the video is a late playthrough attempt after he knows everything.
Most guys will average around 10 hours with this game.

Last edited:
I think it's closer to 10 hours for the average person. Probably worth it if you can get it for a normal price (not 80 euros lmao).
Yeah some other people been mentioning this is a speedrunner which would explain the run time. Safe to guess a main playthrough is at least 2x that length for the average person, as you say.

Maybe a bit more, actually, because people gonna make dumb mistakes and die and restart missions if they play it blind.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is a very bad take. Its a RatchetnClank game, never rely on a speed run for the length of any game. Almost all main RatchetnClank games for me last about 16hrs (A crack in time was the last full length one.)
But with NG+ and upgrading all weapons to max including the RYNO there is plenty of replay ability. Folks who play RatchetnClank know what to expect.
Also I dont understand the "Lack of faith in Sony"
Next up is Kena Bridge of Spirits : August
Deathloop: September
Horizon 2: November?

Both Sony and Nintendo are doing fine, its Xbox that haven't release any content for its system.
It's not a bad take. I mean, I guess my point would stand even if the game were twice as long though, so you got me there. I just think it's crazy that Sony don't have any next-gen exclusives on the calendar as of now. When people finish it this week, they will think about that. Kind of crazy.

Horizon and Kena are not next-gen exclusive. Good point on Deathloop, even if it is also coming to Windows, so not sure I'd count that - I forgot about that one. I'm probably not alone there though.

Lack of faith in Sony comes from their deceptive marketing among other things like failing to provide PS5 patches for some of the most-desired games. And more, but I don't want to de-rail the thread.

Last edited:
I'm not defending super short games for super high prices but I've definitely shifted from wanting longer games to something I will actually finish. Bonus points for no filler as that means I'll probably play through again if I enjoyed it.

I'm playing TLOU2 now (must be half way through the 2nd half of the game) and even though it's clearly a good game I wish it would end already. Just because something is good more of it doesn't equal better.

I flew through RE8 in a weekend and felt it was a good length and immediately started NG+ as I really enjoyed it - I doubt I will touch TLOU2 ever again.

Not necessarily, IMO. If push comes to shove, linear games will just give the player more to do in a smaller range of level assets. So, smaller worlds, but denser with more to interact with, more ways to engage with the environment in meaningful ways, etc.

Which honestly is something I'd like to see develop for gaming in general. You know, something like taking the sandbox approach and making it even richer/denser. Too many games IMO just like to dump a ton of content on the player but you end up with either a lot of filler or "open" worlds that just have a lot of space but not much meaningful to do in that space.

JaksGhost

Y'all about to go 20 pages deep in some shit over one person's playthrough even though there are other benchmark numbers out there as well. Everybody's experience isn't going to be the same. What can take me 2-3 hours to complete may take another person 10-15. It's all bout your own play method.

Klayzer

Y'all about to go 20 pages deep in some shit over one person's playthrough even though there are other benchmark numbers out there as well. Everybody's experience isn't going to be the same. What can take me 2-3 hours to complete may take another person 10-15. It's all bout your own play method.
It was hand picked troll topic in the first place. Never understand why certain people, go to great lengths to put a negative spin on things they're supposedly not interested in.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
has it been confirmed there's a new game + mode?
yep,challenge mode

"Once you've beaten the campaign, you'll be eligible for Challenge Mode, which is effectively New Game+. In Challenge Mode you'll be able to play through the entire story again with all of your weapons, collectbiles, and upgrades. However, your Bolts will be multiplied and you'll be able to purchase Omega versions of All Weapons."

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Well that's what you get if you rush through the game just for the story I guess. But ideally you want to play R&C games three times - once to get through the story, second time to maximize the gear, and third to play around with everything maxed-out.

Although after ToD the games did get shorter, so it was rather expected. The install size also already hinted the game won't be god knows how big. But looking at the comments, it all goes down whether someone thinks the game is worth 70€, or more like 30-40 and will wait for a price drop/sale.

cormack12

Gold Member
Damn, this dude finished the game before Insomniac did. I had a skim through. Quite a few cut scenes. Guy/Girl obviously knew each encounter off by heart and strung them together *shrug*

Top Bottom