• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details

Loudninja

Update 1
Well this thread is....

Some stuff - those screens are straight pulls from the frame buffer.

Temporal injection is a different approach ban checkerbording to get to 2160p that gets you AA too. We think it looks better.

The game is designed to run at a locked 30 so making frame rate changes was never in the cards. Sorry

It looks even better in HDR.

The engine tech was developed on our current stuff first and then we ported it back here.

Hey everyone. Ratchet & Clank on PS4 marked the first appearance of our long-running heroes on the console. It’s a galactic space adventure filled with exotic planets, wild villains, and an arsenal not fit for this world.
We’re pleased to be rolling out a free software update to the game to support the additional power that PS4 Pro offers. This patch should be available on or prior to the launch date of PS4 Pro.
For users with a 4K TV, you’ll be able to play Ratchet & Clank at a much higher resolution, and if your TV supports it, in HDR using an HDMI 2.0 cable. PS4 Pro users with a 1080p TV will see a big increase in gameplay image quality as well. The technique we’re using to get to those better resolutions is something we’re calling Temporal Injection. This allows us to not only hit a much higher resolution, but also to do it with jaggie-eliminating anti-aliasing as well. The extra resolution and HDR’s ability to display even more of the colorful Solana Galaxy should combine for the best image quality you’ve ever seen in a Ratchet & Clank game.
We’re really excited about the potential of the PS4 Pro and what it means for our games. From Ratchet & Clank (PS4) to our upcoming game with Marvel Entertainment, Spider-Man (working title), PS4 Pro gives us the power to release our best-looking games ever.
And for those with an HDR-enabled TV but still using a regular PS4 or PS4 Slim, our patch will also enable HDR for Ratchet & Clank as well.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/ratchet-clank-ps4-pro-update-coming-soon/

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Temporal Injection AKA

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_fsj052xggfksg0skc8c48c4g_640.jpg

Caayn

Wait... I wasn't aware that Ratchet & Clank is receiving a Pro patch. This'll speed up my Pro purchase.

Ratchet & Clank in HDR dear lordy.

Any info on if it'll be 60FPS on Pro?

I don't think I'll bother replaying any older games with these patches. It'll take a while to download them and I already have too big of a backlog. It will be nice to see 4K going forward, though.

I need to try to beat Ratchet & Clank before I reset and sell my PS4. I don't feel like downloading it again, although it is good.

Nice. though i hope more devs will also tackle some other aspects. Shadow quality, more thinghs on screen, better effects, etc.

But will play again to see the difference.

Glad they added a PS4 PRO support. What is the higher resolution they achieved? Checkerboard 1800p or checkerboard 2160p or native 4K? Will the PS4 PRO version pack increased graphical fidelity like with Horizon: Zero Dawn?

f@luS

More than a member.
Too bad I sold it. Finished it totally. Will buy again when it will be less than 10

Insomniac said in a press release they will no longer make 60fps games, just 30fps with graphics up all the way they can go.

Yer because reviewers weren't even noting the fact their old games were 60fps and deduced that most people care about the shiny shiny, a fair assumption I guess. But for me personally I'd take 60fps, especially in a platformer.

Vitor711

Come on... A game like this should have been 60fps for the Pro. That's a shame.

PS4 Pro has a 2.3x GPU power increase. The CPU increase is 1.3x.

Any games that were barely hitting 30FPS will not get a double-up to 60. Don't see it coming for Uncharted, Bloodborne or anything intense.

It'll only work for games with variable FPS that were in the mid 40s already (Like Tomb Raider or many remasters of last gen titles).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Come on... A game like this should have been 60fps for the Pro. That's a shame.

Insomniac literally does not care about 60fps regardless of whether or not it was possible or not.

Yeah. Like if Nintendo got Mario running 60 FPS on Wii U why not this? It's not even real 4k.

What does Mario have to do with this game? And "real 4K" is a meaningless statement if the resolution is still far beyond the original base res.

Elios83

Really looking forward to try this.
This game probably features the same rendering techniques alternative to checkerboard rendering that will be used for Spiderman as well.

Clearly Insomniac have missed a trick, tell them what they should do to get 60fps when Steve'o arrives to the thread...

Well, I mean the game is already insanely gorgeous, so framerate was the only improvement that would matter in my opinion.
I have zero clue about how to do that and know nothing about the pro, and I guess it's impossible to do it, but as an average video game consumer, I care more about stuff I know like framerate than stuff I don't, like their new lighting technology or whatever.

You have unrealistic hopes for how powerful the Pro is.

It seems like so. It's the first time I actually care about the Pro "improvements", since I have the game and like it. It's really hard for me to understand the meaning of this new console, since it does not improve one of the only technical things I care about. Framerate.

Wereroku

It seems like so. It's the first time I actually care about the Pro "improvements", since I have the game and like it. It's really hard for me to understand the meaning of this new console, since it does not improve one of the only technical things I care about. Framerate.

Some games are getting improved framerates just not an Insomniac game. They decided that 60fps was not worth the trouble and put out a press release stating none of their games would be 60fps. Their own market research showed that consumers prefer prettier games at 30fps.

Top Bottom