• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
You're clearly not a "huge fan" of the series if that's the reason you're never going to play it.

What kind of logic is this. If Dark Souls 4 came out at 30fps I would not buy it. Some people have higher/lower standards of what to expect and that is fine either way.

dogen

You're clearly not a "huge fan" of the series if that's the reason you're never going to play it.

What if the responsiveness of the gameplay is part of why they're a huge fan?

I tried the demo for the new one once and just it wasn't the same to me. It made me want to just play the ps2 games again instead.

Dantis

What kind of logic is this. If Dark Souls 4 came out at 30fps I would not buy it. Some people have higher/lower standards of what to expect and that is fine either way.

Uh.

So you don't play any Souls game then?

Because aside from DS2 on PS4, none are 60fps.

I think we have a differing opinion of what constitutes as a huge fan.

Unknown?

A huge fan of something will buy into that brand no matter what. It's why so many people didn't care how terrible Xbox One was before and post launch. It's why fans of a particular sports team still support that team even if they lose all of their talent, etc. Fan /=/ huge fan.

thelastword

Banned
And you wonder why they couldn't put this AA in the PS4 version in the first place. I mean why wouldn't you want to properly anti-aliase a ratchet game from the outset....IQ in such games make them look so much better when implemented. (games going for the cg look or artstyle)...SMH every time I see a bad IQ insomniac game.

icespide

Banned
And you wonder why they couldn't put this AA in the PS4 version in the first place. I mean why wouldn't you want to properly anti-aliase a ratchet game from the outset....IQ in such games make them look so much better when implemented. (games going for the cg look or artstyle)
while working on the Pro patch they decided to implement some the of the stuff they've learned while working on Spider-Man

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Im a pretty huge fan thank you

And all my Darksouls games I run at 60fps.

You've never played Demon's or BB period? Your missing out on goodness.

I just can't relate to the 60fps or bust mentality at all, so its hard to empathize, but if you've got the hardware, i don't see why anyone wouldn't run the games at 60fps if they could

And you wonder why they couldn't put this AA in the PS4 version in the first place. I mean why wouldn't you want to properly anti-aliase a ratchet game from the outset....IQ in such games make them look so much better when implemented. (games going for the cg look or artstyle)...SMH every time I see a bad IQ insomniac game.

Because they didn't make it yet?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
HDR in this game is absolutely amazing, I definitely felt the impact of HDR in Infamous First Light but in Ratchet it's honestly a night and day difference (that volcano stage...Gaspar? Something like that...amazing).

Do it guys, try it!

Vanadium

I think the game was designed at 30fps in mind with the density of all the scenes. As much as I prefer 60, it's not really impactful here. The Souls comparison isn't apt. Having played through all of them, particularly DS3 many times on both PS4 and PC, the extra frames make a substantial difference in roll timing and hit accuracy from your inputs on PC over PS4 in most encounters. Having R&C in 60fps would look and feel great but the gameplay is incredibly forgiving in comparison.

truth411

Booted this game back up, asailing is virtually gone! But it makes you wonder how much better can it look on pro? Theres virtually no jaggies now.

I think the game was designed at 30fps in mind with the density of all the scenes. As much as I prefer 60, it's not really impactful here. The Souls comparison isn't apt. Having played through all of them, particularly DS3 many times on both PS4 and PC, the extra frames make a substantial difference in roll timing and hit accuracy from your inputs on PC over PS4 in most encounters. Having R&C in 60fps would look and feel great but the gameplay is incredibly forgiving in comparison.

Dodging and combat precision are key elements of action platformers like Ratchet.

The extra frames make a substantial difference there, too.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
If I didn't already platinum this game, I would be playing it all the way through all over again after i pick my Pro up Thursday!!!!

Because it's harder to advertise than turned up graphic settings you can easily display in screenshots.

This, for the millionth time.

60 is better. Flat out better. However devs get so much ROI for effects and IQ that most of them will choose that over FPS every time. Is simple really.

Anyway, the game looks even more incredible than it did before. Tempted to replay.

Shin-Ra

HDR in this game is absolutely amazing, I definitely felt the impact of HDR in Infamous First Light but in Ratchet it's honestly a night and day difference (that volcano stage...Gaspar? Something like that...amazing).

Do it guys, try it!
I think Gaspar impressed me the least, because apart from the few inside/underground parts, there's a very constant, bright steamy red haze while other planets provide much more contrast in brightness and colour.

eso76

This game looks glorious post patch on regular PS4.
Sharp and almost 100% aliasing free, looks a lot better than it used to, which is saying a lot.

I understand the disappointment over no 60fps ps4 pro mode, but the game is developed around 30fps and plays perfectly fine.

Spiderman licence couldn't be in better hands

iHaunter

Not going to be 30 FPS....

lol what is even the point of PS4 Pro at this point when cartoonish style games can't even run at 60 FPS?

So far nothing has been convincing me to get a PS4 Pro over my current one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

lol what is even the point of PS4 Pro at this point when cartoonish style games can't even run at 60 FPS?

Cartoony style doesn't mean it doesn't require horsepower to create the visuals you see on screen.

Unknown?

2/10. It'll fool some users, but I see what you did there!

Trace

Banned
2/10. It'll fool some users, but I see what you did there!

Naw I think he's just convinced himself the PS4 Pro sucks, I don't even think he's doing the "lol people don't read my post properly" gag.

My list why:

1. Hardware increase is mediocre.
  2. No 4K Blu-ray player.
  3. Very unattractive design.
  4. With hardware specs it would be near impossible to actually do 4K making it pointless as it doesn't have a 4K Blu-ray player.

I have a 4K TV, PS4 Pro can't do native 4K and doesn't have a 4K UHD player. It's worthless at what it's trying to be.

According to it's stats, it can't do 4K gaming natively either.

Without 4K Player it's useless. How can they advertise it as 4K anything?

That's pretty damn expensive icing.....

Does cartoony mean it somehow doesn't require hardware resources to put the image on the screen? I had no idea.

Why didn't wind waker run at 120fps on GameCube?? Wtf...

iHaunter

Naw I think he's just convinced himself the PS4 Pro sucks, I don't even think he's doing the "lol people don't read my post properly" gag.

Prove me wrong, I was pretty excited for the PS4 Pro when it was initially announced..

But with everything I constantly read about it, there's nothing special really, the pros seem to be so minor for the cost increase.

Maybe I can Ebay my PS4 since it's the original Destiny PS4. Trading it in for only $150 isn't big enough atm.

Prove me wrong, I don't mind being proven wrong as long I get the correct information.

Edit: To respond to Ghost. The whole point is 4K right? It can't run these on native 4K. I did see a list of games where I can, but it's pretty scarce so far.

Edit2: To me it's like the difference between my 3DSXL and the "New" 3DSXL. Slight minor enhancements for double the price. Still have my old 3DS and see no point in upgrading for an 8-12% HW increase.

Prove me wrong, I was pretty excited for the PS4 Pro when it was initially announced..

But with everything I constantly read about it, there's nothing special really, the pros seem to be so minor for the cost increase.

Maybe I can Ebay my PS4 since it's the original Destiny PS4. Trading it in for only $150 isn't big enough atm.

Prove me wrong, I don't mind being proven wrong as long I get the correct information.

Edit: To respond to Ghost. The whole point is 4K right? It can't run these on native 4K. I did see a list of games where I can, but it's pretty scarce so far.

Edit2: To me it's like the difference between my 3DSXL and the "New" 3DSXL. Slight minor enhancements for double the price. Still have my old 3DS and see no point in upgrading for an 8-12% HW increase.

Except the Pro is way more than a 8-12% HW increase and will actually benefit more than like 2 games.

iHaunter

Except the Pro is way more than a 8-12% HW increase and will actually benefit more than like 2 games.

Never said it was 8-12% between PS4 Pro and the PS4, was talking about the 3DS as a general parallel example; "Minor" increase was the point, not a direct % comparison.

just ignore that person, it's what I did

ignore that guy.

you have to just ignore that guy

Some advice:

Define_ignore.jpg

For those that have beaten R&C (even Platting it), how long would you say the game is? A guesstimate is good enough, of course.

I now have three PS4 Pro compatible games that I won't touch their SP campaign until I have the system in my hands: Ratchet and Clank, Rise of the Tomb Raider, or CoD: Infinite Warfare.

Decisions!

5taquitos

For those that have beaten R&C (even Platting it), how long would you say the game is? A guesstimate is good enough, of course.

I now have three PS4 Pro compatible games that I won't touch their SP campaign until I have the system in my hands: Ratchet and Clank, Rise of the Tomb Raider, or CoD: Infinite Warfare.

Decisions!

It's quick, maybe 9-12 hours on your first playthrough? That may be low-balling it. 12-15? I honestly can't remember.

Edit: it's designed for at least one challenge mode (ng+) playthrough if you want to level all of your shit.

Some advice:

Define_ignore.jpg
If you really want to play this way here is some advice:

tumblr_oa9d26cgrr1tpafe6o1_500.gif

It's 30 FPS. The likelihood of them changing it now is not high at all and besides you already said you're not buying it so just let others enjoy this.

but in the end it's up to you and arguing with you isn't going to help anything anyway so I guess agree to disagree.

iHaunter said:
We have this in common.

iHaunter said:

The whole point of PS4Pro is giving consumers choice.

The machine can provide different modes. A developer choosing not to use them is their fault, not the machine's.

Shin-Ra

Insomniac's UI designers did a great job thoroughly upgrading this for 4K display. Only the prerendered video and planet preview banner images look upscaled to me so far.

DBT85

Is the enhanced 1080p option 60 fps as well?

There is no 60fps. The game only runs at 30, it was designed that way from the ground up.

And there is no enhanced 1080 mode.

If you're playing at 1080 then the game runs at 30 fps while rendering internally at (I think, but not 100%) native 4k and then downsample to hell.

Tarkus

The game is 30fps in all modes. Insomniac don't make 60fps games anymore.

There is no 60fps. The game only runs at 30, it was designed that way from the ground up.

And there is no enhanced 1080 mode.

If you're playing at 1080 then the game runs at 30 fps while rendering internally at (I think, but not 100%) native 4k and then downsample to hell.
Thanks guys. Buying the game "for my daughter." *Hint: That's how you get away with buying a new game along with a new $400 system when you're married with children.

Top Bottom