• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details

I know you type this, and it is your wholly subjjective conviction on the matter. But it is one hard pill for me to swallow. I am really having trouble fathoming how someone cannot see 2x the information over time in something. I in fact find it impossible as it subverts my understanding how we humans perceive time and space.
Probably should swallow that pill with some water than lol because I can't tell either.

AR15mex

About the 60 fps I read on the dolphin website that not all games are meant to run at 60 fps. For example mario sunshine if you increase the fps counts it also increases soud, movement, etc, etc, so im assuming they didnt wanted to go through the whole problem of adjusting all that.. i know that with a hack you can run mario sunshine at 60fps but its not perfect

Shin-Ra

The new patch also adds temporal supersampling on PS4.

R&C doesn't prompt to enable HDR output at first startup like other games, at least not with my existing save data. I also can't find any video options in-game but it's clearly enabled.

I think R&C's the first HDR game I've tried where all the startup logos like Sony Interactive Entertainment's don't look dull/grey.

zooL

holy shit the aliasing is nearly gone even on a normal ps4 :O i thought it would look like this on the pro, will it look even better supersampled?

BigEmil

holy shit the aliasing is nearly gone even on a normal ps4 :O i thought it would look like this on the pro, will it look even better supersampled?
Huh they improved AA for OG PS4 users? Interesting. And yeah of course Supersampling will improve IQ alot
The new patch also adds temporal supersampling on PS4.

R&C doesn't prompt to enable HDR output at first startup like other games, at least not with my existing save data. I also can't find any video options in-game but it's clearly enabled.

I think R&C's the first HDR game I've tried where all the startup logos like Sony Interactive Entertainment's don't look dull/grey.
Wtf how'd they manage to add this for OG PS4 ain't it costly or something thought this would be something for the Pro only

onQ123

Huh they improved AA for OG PS4 users? Interesting. And yeah of course Supersampling will improve IQ alot

Wtf how'd they manage to add this for OG PS4 ain't it costly or something thought this would be something for the Pro only

I guess the Pro gave them a chance to think differently when rendering the game & it worked out for them over all & not just for the Pro. hopefully devs lean even more about efficient rendering techniques.

w0s

Yep.

If you're okay with 30 when you know 60 is better, that's a lower standard.

But hey, you do you.
this is the kind of dumb shit I see on here that makes me wonder why deva even bother. Whatever happened to judging a game on how fun it is. Guess I have low standards.

Being okay with a lesser option = having a lower standard.

But hey, you do you.

I literally play games on PC with a variety of framerates include and above 60 FPS, so yes, I will do me.

*shrugs*

Some of us can handle a wide variety of framerate options without issue. Maybe your eyes need an upgrade? Then you might be okay with 30 FPS.

w0s

I am judging a game on how fun it is.

Also what's a deva?
Even* phone corrected it. Ratchet and clank controlled fine and played great. 60fps wouldn't have made it exponentially better. Anyways neither of us is going to bend on our opinions. Happy gaming.

This 60fps vs 30fps debate is like when your favorite band changes their sound a little bit, but the songs and songwriting are still top class. There's always that group of people that no matter how great the songs still are will never be able to enjoy them.

BigEmil

I guess the Pro gave them a chance to think differently when rendering the game & it worked out for them over all & not just for the Pro. hopefully devs lean even more about efficient rendering techniques.
Makes sense and yeah definitely
Yup on regular PS4 we added temporal AA and a new motion blur technique. Enjoy!
Damn that's cool! Looking forward to replaying this soon :)

These improvements in R&C 2 plus Spiderman oh snap

Being okay with a lesser option = having a lower standard.

But hey, you do you.

Hey man, we'd all like 60 fps. But we're not exactly in control in this issue.
I'm glad i can still play games at 30 fps. But lots of Gaffers shout for 60 fps constantly.
But the fact is: Almost nobody outside of enthousiasts like us give a flying fuck. And what most people do see, is how great games look.
I think a lot of us console players would like more 60 fps games. But a lot of games will stay at 30 fps, until we really get a surplus if power on consoles. And we're already close to 8K so not a real chance anytime soon i'm afraid..

How about the Bouncer for everybody?
This + an update for regular PS4 would definitely push me to play through it again and upgrade the omega weapons fully. Is the update for the regular PS4 version confirmed?

Everyone told me not to pre-order games, but I wanted to support this one at full price :(

onQ123

Yup on regular PS4 we added temporal AA and a new motion blur technique. Enjoy!

Cool that's great is it from the jittered samples?

Can you confirm or deny the allegations that these samples was indeed stolen from the missing 30 frames that you & your team has robbed us gamers with high standards of each second?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
HDR seems really nice in this game, I've only tested for a couple of minutes though. There doesn't seem to be a setting to disable it though so it's kind of hard to compare.

Hey, if dude wants to miss out on a great game because it's not 60 fps, that's on him. I do wonder why he even bothers with consoles in the first place though. Just buy a PC and stop turning every thread into a beg for 60 fps. Yeah, you'll miss out on some awesome exclusives, but hey I guess it's 60 fps or nothing for some of you *shrug*

Temporal AA in the regular PS4 version?

Damn. That's some good stuff.

Too bad I already sold my PS4. Have to wait for the Pro to see R&C again.

Hey man, we'd all like 60 fps. But we're not exactly in control in this issue.
Sure you are. You're the ones who buy games.
I'm glad i can still play games at 30 fps. But lots of Gaffers shout for 60 fps constantly.
But the fact is: Almost nobody outside of enthousiasts like us give a flying fuck.
Calling something a "fact" means you have proof. Where is it?
And what most people do see, is how great games look.
Hard not to when that's what marketers show you.
I think a lot of us console players would like more 60 fps games. But a lot of games will stay at 30 fps, until we really get a surplus if power on consoles.
Power has nothing to do with it.

Take PS2. Had both the weakest power and the most 60fps games of its gen.

Sure you are. You're the ones who buy games.

Yes, but those exclusives is why we (i) buy the consoles. This is a place where you hope devs might read our desire for 60 fps. But we are a small percentage of the total of gamers.
I like it when devs themselves say: "fuck it, we want 60 fps". But i do want to play those games. I love those exclusive (not all but the ones i like) games. So... the options are limited.

I'll hop on right now and see if I can get a good comparison. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted my save file a while back, so it will probably only be a shot from Veldin. I already have pre-existing images to compare so I'll just try to recreate those shots.

HDR looks amazing on this, definitely the best implementation out of the games I've tried (although Uncharted 4 is close).

The new AA is pretty much perfect, quality-wise. I couldn't see any aliasing.

The new motion blur is by far the star of the show. The old motion blur made it really obvious it was a 30 FPS title. It was actually pretty jarring the first time I played it. The new motion blur is super smooth -- I don't know if it's less aggressive or what (can't directly compare it) but it certainly feels better to play. It's seems to be much more subtle, while also being more accurate.

I've already played this twice, but this update is really making me want to play it again. If this is a preview of the tech being used in Spider-man, I'm no longer worried about it being 30 FPS -- this is quite possibly the smoothest 30 FPS game experience I've had.

EDIT: I did a quick run-through of the planets, and
Pokitaru
is by far the best HDR showcase. Especially the part where you're climbing up the back of the waterfall, coming out of the underwater cave.

Top Bottom