• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Retrospective - Full Frontal Assault: The Q-Force

RK128

Ratchet_%26_Clank_-_Full_Frontal_Assault.png

This game continues the Ratchet Retrospective and it is very interesting. This released on the series anniversary, with the Ratchet Collection releasing on the PS3 not long after this games launch. So, how does it compared to All 4 One?

It is a more traditional Ratchet experience, with it returning to the original gameplay style from prior games but adding in multiplayer focus again. Throw in Tower Defense Features on top of it, and we have a traditional game in the series with a wrench thrown into the mix.

History:
This was announced early in 2012, Insomniac intended this to be a return to the series formula, with a focus on multiplayer gaming again. This time though, the focus was on team work, with you working with your buddy to defend bases from incoming attacks.

Code:
[IMG]http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121218204512/ratchet/images/d/d9/Ratchet_&_Clank_Full_Frontal_Assault_Metropolis_Postcard.jpg[/IMG]
E3 2012 also brought the announcement that the game would be coming to Sony's at the time new platform, the PS Vita. It was one of the early cross-buy titles, which was a program that allowed you to buy one version of a game but get both the PS3 and Vita version. Sly 4 and PS All Stars also did this....but Ratchet had an issue; Insomniac didn't make the Vita version.

Another studio worked on the Vita version and it was not coming along well at all, with it being thrown on the PSN Store early 2013 and it looked & ran horribly on Vita. Insomniac was so upset with this, they gave people a version of Dreadlocked HD for free for early buyers of the game.

Code:
[IMG]https://gam3dorkblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/ratchet-and-clank-full-frontal-assault.jpg[/IMG]

The PS3 version released in Fall 2012 to mixed reception. After launch, a number of DLC released containing skins for a number of iconic characters in the series.

rAgzYHhgFpzEfBMrYqiNmJxTLOyaYDJA.png

Story:
Ratchet, Clank and Quark are on a new version of Starship Phenox, exploring the galaxy but pick up a distress call from another planet. Ratchet and friends go down to defend the planet but quickly get the attention of the main bad guy of the game, Zurgo.

He tells them that he turned off the Planetary Security for a series of planets. So, in order to ensure their safety, Ratchet, Clank and Quark visit the planets to defend them from attack.

Code:
[IMG]http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2012/12/Ratchet-and-Clank-Full-Frontal-Assault_2012_08-14-12_005.jpg[/IMG]

We later learn that the identity of the villain is.......a odd side character you meet in Ratchet 2. He is voiced by the VA of Zim from Invader Zim and is an enjoyable foe. The story as a whole is not great, but the VA is still fantastic and the characters bounce off each other like they normally do. So, you will get a few laughs.

Gameplay:
This is interesting, as it is a blend of Tower Defense and a normal Ratchet game. What I mean, is that you use the bolts you get throughout the stages to built different kinds of weapons that can defend your base and you run around the level looking for different guns to find (you don't buy them this time out) and more bolts to defend/upgrade your base.

latest

Like most tower defense games, all the guns and the base itself is upgradeable, with you giving it more defense and making your guns stronger.

Ratchet/Clank/Quark all control the same but having the ability to use the Hoverboots from A Crack in Time to zip across the level at a fast pace. The worlds are large and filled with platforming/gunplay to experience.

Code:
[IMG]http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/mig/1/3/1/6/2021316-672375_20121204_001.jpg[/IMG]

So, its fun and enjoyable. Gunplay feels good and the frame rate is mostly stable, which is an improvement over All 4 One. More so considering this is the first traditional Ratchet running at 30FPS.

MP is a feature I never played but you have verses modes you can play when out of single player and co-op modes where you can play through the story with a buddy ala Deadlocked.

Weapons in the game are largely pulled from prior games and few aren't worth talking about. But it is nice using some of the tools from All 4 One like the Ice Gun and the Warmonger with traditional Ratchet controls.

vita_insomniac_ratchet_and_clank_full_frontal_assault_01.jpg

Presentation:
It is a step up from All 4 One with more lively animations and the worlds having more detail. The game is very stable too, so that is a huge plus in my book. Musically, the soundtrack is solid, with beats that hype you up for the different planets you explore and the fights you encounter. The composer for this title is Michael Bross and he does a good job with this soundtrack.

Overall:
The game is short for the story mode and a big selling point (cross-buy) is moot when the Vita version runs horribly. But the game itself is enjoyable and fun. However, it is like All 4 One; a good and enjoyable adventure but underwhelming compared to past titles in the series.

The next game in the line up Into the Nexus is a very strong game to cover and for now, the final romp through out Ratchet Retrospective.

Code:
[IMG]http://icdn5.digitaltrends.com/image/korgon_02-3840x2160.jpg[/IMG]

Why that is the case? Need more time to get through the PSP games and I have to buy a PS4 before I can cover the PS4 Reboot title. Hope you all understand and look forward to our haunting stop for the Ratchet series soon.

RK128

Just want to apologize in advance if this Retrospective comes off as to harsh but I this game didn't click with my like past Ratchet titles honestly. So if you enjoy the game, please don't take the Retrospective the wrong way :).

It is sad that we never got a proper Vita R&C. I tried this on mine and oh boy... You should avoid that version at all cost. The PS3 one however is fine. I had my fun with it for a few hours. But no comparison to the classic games in this series.

I remember when this game was announced, and I was immediately turned off when they mentioned tower defense. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with tower defense. The problem is that there is no place for tower defense in a Ratchet game.

I think the sales speak for itself. Ratchet fans aren't interested in spin offs, they want classic Ratchet games.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I really enjoyed the multiplayer beta they had for this before release. By the time I bought the full game on a PSN sale, though, that component was dead.

RK128

Thank you all for posting in this Retrospective!

The Into the Nexus one is releasing later today, so hope you all look forward to that :).

This is the only Ratchet game I haven't played. I was under the impression that it mostly tower defense, rather than blending elements of the original gameplay.

Huh. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

ryseing

This is the only Ratchet game I haven't played. I was under the impression that it mostly tower defense, rather than blending elements of the original gameplay.

Huh. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Like I said, it's pretty much a MOBA lanes and all. I'd advise skipping if you don't like the genre.

Top Bottom