• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart previews dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Man this covid shit is pissing me off! No RTX cards (outside the ones where they are asking 3000 euro's obv.), no PS5, no XSX, no chips in cars (waiting 6 months for a car ffs) and the list goes on and on. I bought a LG oled last year to enjoy all this at its full glory but damn didnt even get one of those.
A-man-hits-with-sticks.gif

nowhat

Just preloaded. 33.618GB.
Huh, that's smaller than I would have thought. I wonder if it is due to utilizing PS5 storage/compression properly - outside Control, the game sizes seem to be pretty much on par with the previous gen (or slightly bigger) so far.

(this is not to say Kraken + HW decompression isn't a good thing, just that the developers haven't quite got with the program yet it seems)

SLB1904

Banned
Huh, that's smaller than I would have thought. I wonder if it is due to utilizing PS5 storage/compression properly - outside Control, the game sizes seem to be pretty much on par with the previous gen (or slightly bigger) so far.

(this is not to say Kraken + HW decompression isn't a good thing, just that the developers haven't quite got with the program yet it seems)
cross gen curse.

bender

What time is it?

Hitman 3 with all the H1/H2 levels is 61.99GB. Hitman 1/2 on PS4 was over 100GB.

bender

What time is it?
Cool (wouldn't have known as Hitman has never really been my thing), so it seems some progress is being made.

It's a case by case thing. Here are some other cross generation games:

THPS (PS5): 23.34GB
THPS (PS4): 23.36GB
NIOH 2 (PS5): 51.38GB
NIOH 2 (PS4): 52.955GB
Judgement (PS5): 30.16GB
Judgement (PS4): 30.90GB
Miles Morales (PS5): 39.218GB
Miles Morales (PS4): 54.236GB
Spider-Man (PS5): 53.742GB
Spider-Man (PS4): 62.960GB

I'm really curious to see if the footprint of FFVII will improve.

Last edited:
I know this board likes to be down on the PS5, but the first half year has been pretty great with Demon Souls, Miles, RE8 and now R&C plus free upgrades to THPS, NIOH 2, Yakuza 7 and FFVII.

I kind of agree with. People complain about some games being Crossgen but they always forget that Sony released some great games on the PS5 already. Just because another version of the game exists doesn't mean you can't play the PS5 version of it.

Man this covid shit is pissing me off! No RTX cards (outside the ones where they are asking 3000 euro's obv.), no PS5, no XSX, no chips in cars (waiting 6 months for a car ffs) and the list goes on and on. I bought a LG oled last year to enjoy all this at its full glory but damn didnt even get one of those.
A-man-hits-with-sticks.gif
I feel your pain...

But if these are the worst things that has happened to you due to the pandemic consider yourself lucky

nowhat

It's a case by case thing. Here are some other cross generation games:

THPS (PS5): 23.34GB
THPS (PS4): 23.36GB
NIOH 2 (PS5): 51.38GB
NIOH 2 (PS4): 52.955GB
Judgement (PS5): 30.16GB
Judgement (PS4): 30.90GB
Miles Morales (PS5): 39.218GB
Miles Morales (PS4): 54.236GB
Spider-Man (PS5): 53.742GB
Spider-Man (PS4): 62.960GB

I'm really curious to see if the footprint of FFVII will improve.
Interesting, thanks. In the case of Spider-Man (and by extension MM too), it may be that the reduction in size is simply because of the SSD - there was an GDC talk, where guy from Insomniac said that there are lots of repeated assets all around the city (trash cans, newsstands, that kind of thing). So from a storage efficiency POV of course it would make sense to store them only once. But as the game has to run off a stock PS4 drive (or actually even a bit worse drive, if the user has swapped it and didn't know what specs to look out for), the assets are duplicated multiple times, because they need to be physically near the containing environment on the disk so they can be loaded fast enough. No such requirement when using an SSD obviously.

bender

What time is it?
I kind of agree with. People complain about some games being Crossgen but they always forget that Sony released some great games on the PS5 already. Just because another version of the game exists doesn't mean you can't play the PS5 version of it.

I'm probably a little biased because I'm not interested in a lot of Sony's first part offerings these days but the only thing that could improve a Souls and R&C release, is Everybody's Golf.

I'm probably a little biased because I'm not interested in a lot of Sony's first part offerings these days but the only thing that could improve a Souls and R&C release, is Everybody's Golf.

Are you serious?

I never played those golf games before but I always thought they were sort of a joke with people.

bender

What time is it?
Are you serious?

I never played those golf games before but I always thought they were sort of a joke with people.

While the presentation and some of the mechanics can be on the "arcadey" side (super top, back and side spins), but the golf simulation is better and deeper than any other golf sim. They are great, great games, particularly the PSP and Vita releases.

ABnormal

The client, being for ps5 only, doesn't have to repeat the same assets all over the disk, since ssds can access data in an instant regardless to where data is stored. That alone in a big saving of space. If you add better compression, you have even better results.

nowhat

And i don't even have one platinum
I don't care for them myself (I've intentionally platinumed just a few games, and not because of the trophy but simply because I enjoyed them that much), but if you want to increase your e-peen, there are some really easy alternatives. I'd recommend TellTale's Game of Thrones - you just have to play through it once and that's it. It doesn't matter what choices you make along the way.

Playing the PS4 game through the PS5 recently I did enjoy the game well enough but also getting a bit bored or not wanting to keep playing for long. I found myself wishing there was a run button or some way to move through the world faster. Is this just an upgrade that I missed from later in the game or is there really no run/speed up mod in the game? This does look pretty great but considering I didn't love my time with the PS4 game I'm just not sure if I will enjoy playing it as much as I wish I would.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I had one accidentally, it was just the normal cleaning out all side missions and collectables in Maneater and boom Platinum.

I always do the same with all games, but games don't give you platinum for doing so, there is always a weird thing to do like jump from a cliff with a thumb up your ass, kill 5 enemies with a grenade without throwing it (this was serious though, in BF4 I think). 🤷‍♂️

Don't care about trophies anyway, and have an Omani account with I think level 16 back then from playing many games without really getting platinums.

Last edited:

skit_data

I accidentaly got a platinum trophy from Telltales Game of Thrones (real shit game, you get the platinum by just...finishing the damn game which is more like watching an even worse last season than the show) and since then I’ve platinumed all Dark Souls games, Demon’s Souls, Bloodborne and a few others in an effort to not come across as a damn casual gamer.

I hate Telltale games, their game destroyed me. Now I’m on my way to platinuming Returnal. Then I can rest for a while.

Edit: I am not saying anyone not having any platinum trophies are casual gamers. It’s more a word of advice: Don’t play Telltale Games, they will leave you with a feeling of being dirty and the only way to clean yourself is by make that damn Telltale trophy disappear among the crowd of tropies earned in much better games. Damn you, Telltale Games.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Gaming moves so quickly these days, not so long ago we were all freaking out about TLOU2 and now we're freaking out about this... We've already had a poll that suggests HorizonFW looks better than this (debatable with latest footage)

Re: Clipping robot faces.

... This isn't a technology issue, it's an artist issue.. They designed robots with big shoulder pads which would be entirely impractical IRL due to how they limit head movement.. But this is a game and they need to move their heads, so yeah they'll clip into the shoulder pads.

That's not a tech failing, it's not a "look forward to the day when they fix this" failing, it's the artists designing models which will appeal but which may, on occasion, not be entirely practical. If Arthur Morgan walked around RDR2 in giant steel pauldrons with a giant horned helmet he'd clip through them, too.

To get the platinum trophy, i.e. the very last trophy in the game (if one exists, not all games have one). That will give you... sense of pride and accomplishment for a moment, I guess? Not much more.
So it’s like completing all the achievements in a game? I haven’t actually looked at those things they just pop up as like “you’ve 75% killed this many enemies” or whatever - you don’t receive a discount or something for doing it?

nowhat

So it’s like completing all the achievements in a game? I haven’t actually looked at those things they just pop up as like “you’ve 75% killed this many enemies” or whatever - you don’t receive a discount or something for doing it?
Basically yeah, trophies are what achievements are over on the MS side. As far as I know (although for the record, I'm not a trophy hunter by any means) it's just good for showing off your gaming/OCD prowess online, not aware of any discounts.

Basically yeah, trophies are what achievements are over on the MS side. As far as I know (although for the record, I'm not a trophy hunter by any means) it's just good for showing off your gaming/OCD prowess online, not aware of any discounts.
Ah got it got it thanks I dunno why I thought they all said achievements for some reason

zaanan

Banned
To be fair. EA fucked this one up. Insomniacs initial concept looked way better, EA made this into a dudebro shooter.
That’s not what Ted Price said. Although I would like to think you’re right. But he’s kind of a tool and perfectly capable of destroying a game— just look at how he signed off on Call Of Resistance, which killed all momentum from Fall Of Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom