• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy |OT| Rip your PS3 a new one

DonMigs85

So, is there really 0 chance a $30 bundle will be released on the US Store next week or so?
This is sheer madness, whoever set the pricing is a buffoon of the highest order.

Zertez

Just as fun. If you like ToD and CiT you will like these
Cool I will have to pick these up sometime soon. I still have a few games to clear out of my backlog mainly Sly Cooper Collection. I bought ToD and CiT a few Christmas ago when they had them on sale for 10 dollars a piece. The games are a lot more fun than I thought they would be. After finishing Lord of Shadows and GoW collection, I needed to play something different than a fighting action and adventure game and these games fit the bill. The only complaint I have is more a bug, ToD had horrible sound issues for me. Voices would stutter and get caught up at certain words. It didnt happen with Ratchet and Clank conversations, but everyone else it was horrible.

wes_less

Neo Member
For anyone who has played the Sly 4 demo that came with the collection, does it run at 60fps? I'm worried as hardly any games run at 60fps these days :(. It just wouldn't feel the same if it was locked at 30...

Edit: it's 60fps :)

Received my copy this afternoon. The total lack of an instruction manual is a huge disappointment. The PS2 games had amazing manuals and I thought Insomniac would do something special for this collection. Guess I thought wrong.

The reversable artwork is nice though. Looking forward to playing these gems again.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Received my copy this afternoon. The total lack of an instruction manual is a huge disappointment. The PS2 games had amazing manuals and I thought Insomniac would do something special for this collection. Guess I thought wrong.

The reversable artwork is nice though. Looking forward to playing these gems again.

Sony and Idol Minds developed the collection and Sony as a whole as significantly cut down on what's allowed in terms of manuals. Wasn't really any way for them to do all three games in one manual, so they went pure digital (and that also helped keep the price to 29.99)

Got this today from Amazon. I started playing the first Ratchet, and I'm loving it so far. I've never played the PS2 Ratchet games before, and my first experience was with Tools of Destruction. So, it's pretty cool to see how Ratchet started. It's also great that there is a Sly Cooper demo included, but I'm going to save that until after I finish all 3 Ratchet games.

TripOpt55

I got this and played the first game up until the Logging site level. Not having strafing or experience upgrades is kind of a bummer, but it is still a lot of fun. Where are skill points list in the menu? I'm possibly an idiot, but didn't see them. I was going to try and get them all this time around.

Also the Sly demo is fun. I wish it was longer.

Toppot

I got this and played the first game up until the Logging site level. Not having strafing or experience upgrades is kind of a bummer, but it is still a lot of fun. Where are skill points list in the menu? I'm possibly an idiot, but didn't see them. I was going to try and get them all this time around.

Also the Sly demo is fun. I wish it was longer.
In R&C 1 they don't appear till you start challenge mode, but you can look them up online and still earn them on your first playthrough.

Got this today from Amazon. I started playing the first Ratchet, and I'm loving it so far. I've never played the PS2 Ratchet games before, and my first experience was with Tools of Destruction. So, it's pretty cool to see how Ratchet started. It's also great that there is a Sly Cooper demo included, but I'm going to save that until after I finish all 3 Ratchet games.

My copy hasn't even shipped yet and I pre-ordered months ago.

wouwie

This has to be one of my favourite HD classic releases so far (with ICO). I'm currently nearing the end of R&C2 and i'm having a lot of fun. R&C1 was good but 2 is even better (shame about not being able to select subtitles though). The gameplay is fun and varied, the graphics are neat and the characters are funny. I'm already looking forward to playing R&C3 and i might even replay Tools of Destruction again after that.

i <3 Ratchet & Clank. It has got to be one of the funniest franchises around. I'm really hoping we will get a new single player adventure for next generation consoles at some point.

My copy hasn't even shipped yet and I pre-ordered months ago.
Same here. I used to get Amazon orders in a few days, even with their super saver shipping, but in the past two years or so they've really gone downhill. I can understand using the most basic ground shipping, but it seems like they purposely nerf shipping times and leave orders sitting around in a facility for days at a time to "encourage" you to pay for it. Sometimes it takes me 2 weeks to get a game a pre-ordered well in advance. Their loss I guess, since I now buy like 1/4 the amount of games I used to from them.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to playing this, whenever Amazon gets off their ass and ships it. :p

bwahhhhh

I got this last night, and played through a bit of Ratchet 1. I had just played through a bit of A4O the night before that. It's so nice to go back to Ratchet in 60 fps. R&C games should always be 60fps.

Tizoc

Ratchet and Clank 1 is so friggin' boring, after dieing a couple of times against the fish in that resort planet, I had enough >=/
I don't think I'll ever bother beating it or playing it any time soon. Gonna try R&C 2 and see if I like it tho.

Dynedom

Wrapping up the skill point and gold bolt farming on my playthrough. Working on getting 1 million bolts now, grab the Gold weapons and then beat Drek. That should get me my plat and I'll move on to Going Commando.

Toppot

Ratchet and Clank 1 is so friggin' boring, after dieing a couple of times against the fish in that resort planet, I had enough >=/
I don't think I'll ever bother beating it or playing it again. Gonna try R&C 2 and see if I like it tho.
Sounds more like frustration/rage quitting rather than boredom. Pyrociter and Suck Cannon are suitable ways of dealing with the fish enemies. You are two thirds into the game at that point

R&C 1 is just more old school, only 4 hits (Unless you buy Nanotech upgrades, Which you are only one planet away from (After you beat Pokitaru you can go back to Hoven to get them)) so it is harder to beat and easier to die than modern games.

Tizoc

Sounds more like frustration/rage quitting rather than boredom. Pyrociter and Suck Cannon are suitable ways of dealing with the fish enemies. You are two thirds into the game at that point
I totally forgot I got the Suck cannon, but honestly the game's bee boring since I started playing it and I LOVED ToD and CiT. I don't mind the platforming, but it just doesn't 'click' for me =/

R&C 1 is just more old school, only 4 hits (Unless you buy Nanotech upgrades, Which you are only one planet away from (After you beat Pokitaru you can go back to Hoven to get them)) so it is harder to beat and easier to die than modern games.
TBH that's the only part of the game I've found very irritating so far.

Toppot

I totally forgot I got the Suck cannon, but honestly the game's bee boring since I started playing it and I LOVED ToD and CiT. I don't mind the platforming, but it just doesn't 'click' for me =/
I can get that it could be seen as boring compared to the newer ones, given they have had years of time and they have a lot more resources to make the newer gamse control better and be more interesting. The lack of lock strafe annoys me the most personally, but since I played R&C 1 when it came out I am use to it.

TBH that's the only part of the game I've found very irritating so far.
Like I said you are close to being able to buy more health, half of Pokitaru then half of Hoven.

I think it would be a shame not to complete it myself, maybe take a day or 2 break then get back onto it. If you don't thats cool, you have R&C 2 and 3 to look forward to =]

Bladenic

Can't wait till I get this and can start it. I'm honestly most excited to start Ratchet 1 since I don't remember most of it (excep the infuriating final boss). However my favorite was probably 3, so I'm excited to play them all. Hopefully I can get into them, considering CiT is my favorite by far but that game is heavily improved from, say, the first game.

Tizoc

I can get that it could be seen as boring compared to the newer ones, given they have had years of time and they have a lot more resources to make the newer gamse control better and be more interesting. The lack of lock strafe annoys me the most personally, but since I played R&C 1 when it came out I am use to it.

Like I said you are close to being able to buy more health, half of Pokitaru then half of Hoven.

I think it would be a shame not to complete it myself, maybe take a day or 2 break then get back onto it. If you don't thats cool, you have R&C 2 and 3 to look forward to =]

I think I'll do just that, thanks for the tips~

Dynedom

Aaand Ratchet and Clank 1 platinum: got

On to Going Commando :)

It's hilarious how easy the final boss is with the RYNO. So so broken, hahaha.

Toppot

no strafe in R&C1 is killing me
If you have the Thruster Pack you can double tap R1 to hover off the ground, this then allows you to strafe a bit.

But yeah it is very jarring after having played the newer games, especially if you have never played R&C 1 before.

A few extra strategies:
  • Hold R1 and jump sideways to dodge while still facing the same way.
  • Run at enemies shooting then jump away to dodge shoots, retreat and take another run up
  • If you can use precision weapons from a distance, (You can go into first person to aim) and save in-accurate weapons, like Bomb Glove, Pyrociter, Tesla Claw, Suck Cannon and Morph-o-ray for up close combat where aiming isn't so important.

Goldrusher

It's not news though. Maybe the fact that it's coming to the US, but why wouldn't it?

Anyway, they should bundle it with Full Frontal Assault.

So I have been playing R&C and remembering how much I loved that game the first time I played it.

I didn't realize how much I would miss strafing though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's not news though. Maybe the fact that it's coming to the US, but why wouldn't it?

Anyway, they should bundle it with Full Frontal Assault.

eh, we've been denying it despite the Japanese thing.

I'm glad it's coming, wish it could've been done earlier

Horrendous frame rate on the final boss of Ratchet 1.

Yeah, it's unfortunate hearing about stuff like this. My friends are saying the framerate in the first game gets pretty bad pretty regularly.

I really want to buy this collection, but stuff like that is keeping me away. I'm curious to see what they're willing to patch. I suspect this won't be changing though. They released the game months ago in Europe, and they haven't fixed it yet. :/

Number45

Yeah, it's unfortunate hearing about stuff like this. My friends are saying the framerate in the first game gets pretty bad pretty regularly.
I'm a fair way through (75%+ at a guess, it's been a while) the first game and I can honestly say the framerate hasn't bothered me once.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm playing Ratchet 2 and I've noticed a weird aiming quirk. Holding L1 to go into aim mode, the right stick will only move the crosshairs vertically. Left stick will move everywhere, but I'm so used to using the right stick for that, since it's set for camera controls in the vast majority of situations. Is there a reason for this, or a way to fix it?

Number45

Who thought the million bolt trophy was a good idea? In the 11 hours I've left it on since midnight last night it's "only" at around 650k. I can't begin to understand what anyone would try to reach this number without glitching.

NBtoaster

Who thought the million bolt trophy was a good idea? In the 11 hours I've left it on since midnight last night it's "only" at around 650k. I can't begin to understand what anyone would try to reach this number without glitching.

It's cumulative, so you don't need 1 million all at once. If you've bought everything else it's around 500k.

I didn't glitch, just went through the game over and over, took about 5 times total.

Number45

Yeah I know it's cumulative, but I don't see me playing it through five times (I'll play it through once normally, then finish up anything that I don't have on an NG+). Can you even track the number of bolts through the game?

Dynedom

Horrendous frame rate on the final boss of Ratchet 1.

If you're going into the final boss bare bones, the crappy frame rate really compounds the difficulty too. Makes timing your jumps and dodges difficult. Not impossible but difficult.

Of course, this all goes out the window with the RYNO, haha.

I can't speak for 2 and 3 (yet) but 1 million bolts in Ratchet and Clank 1 was idiotic. If the track glitch wasn't there, I wouldn't have bothered. The game isn't good enough to warrant 2-3 more playthroughs just for 1 trophy.

So, I got most of the trophies in the first Ratchet game, and the only one I don't have is the 1 million bolt trophy. I don't really understand why it's a trophy at all. You can't do anything with 1 million bolts anyways, so it's pretty dumb. I played the game once, made it to the last planet on Challenge Mode, and I don't think I could take another playthrough of it right now. I really don't feel like leaving my PS3 on for hours to do that glitch, so I might just not even care about getting that trophy at all. Despite that, I enjoyed the game, but I did have some issues with it. No strafing annoyed me quite a bit, but I got over it. I was expecting the game to be really funny, but it was just okay in that area. Anyways, instead of keeping on trying to go for the 1 million bolt trophy, I decided to move on to Going Commando, and right off the bat I felt the difference. It's so much better than the first Ratchet in the feel of the game, and also the strafing. I haven't gotten to far into it, but I'm thinking it's going to be an awesome experience.

Got 1080p working, but now that I want to play some 3D mode a bit, it won't work.

I have 720/1080i/1080p checked in PS3 settings but when I start the game there's no 3D level option under camera settings anymore.

Bladenic

Almost done with the first game. It's been fun but obviously outdated. Can't wait for 2 and 3. Doubt I'm gonna bother with the trophies in the first game, especially that insane bolt one.

Platinumed the first game. Had to play through twice plus do the track glitch for the million bolts. After that I don't even want to play the other games for the time being. Anyway is this the same video that you unlock in the goodies menu for the first game? I'd rather not go and start the game up again just to see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sLdADABs-M

Untick 1080i and 1080p to force 720, then try it.

Tried it, and no dice. Fiddled with it for a while and finally realized that you have to set your HDMI settings to automatic, and then it will add "720p(3D), 1080i(3D), 1080p(3D)" to your available resolutions. Without those, 3D games won't detect your TV as compatible. You can't add them in manually either, only through that automatic option.

But seriously though, this should be a check box in the resolutions settings screen that just applies it to all of your selected display resolutions. Ugh.

Top Bottom