• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy (Vita) |OT| Hey, how about a wedgie for old times' sake?

Vashetti

Banned
3OUK5rc.png

03Dqq1S.png

The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy for PS Vita is a port of the previously released HD trilogy on PS3.

What's included?
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Ratchet & Clank 2
  • Ratchet & Clank 3

Release date
  • EU: July 2nd
  • NA: SCEA: lol, what's a Vita?

Physical vs. Digital
  • Physical: All three games on one Vita cart, no download codes included - (RRP £24.99)
  • Digital: Cross-buy with PS3 version (i.e. buy one, get the games on the other console for no extra charge)
    Ratchet & Clank is ~900mb,
    Ratchet & Clank 2 is ~1200mb
    Ratchet & Clank 3 is ~1500mb

Specs
  • From reports, the games run at an average of 30 frames per second
  • Sub-native resolution

y3RAj8H.png

Pending.

QEXibWj.png

Launch trailer

yaERFSt.png

Graphics quickly put together by my lovely boyfriend, thanks babs!

Also, sorry for the delay in getting this up folks, my MacBook's charger died on me a week ago and I've been waiting for a new one to come by post.

sjay1994

Never played the OG Rachet and Clanks (no ps2)

But I played the future games and the psp ones and loved them.

Should I pick this up, or wait for rachet redux on PS4?

Vashetti

Banned

You will love this then, they are three classics, with Ratchet 3 in particular commonly cited along with A Crack In Time as the best in the series.

Ratchet Redux on PS4 is a remake of just the very first game, not the ones that come after.

sjay1994

You will love this then, they are three classics, with Ratchet 3 in particular commonly cited along with A Crack In Time as the best in the series.

Ratchet Redux on PS4 is a remake of just the very first game, not the ones that come after.

Strapped for cash atm, but will pick it up eventually. :)

Anth1888

reektann

Ah ok.. 4th is is.

So are people buying the PS3 one for that low price with a hope that it unlocks for Vita tomorrow, too?

Anth1888

Credit to VLiberty on the other thread.

The sizes of each game digitally are:

R&C is <900mb,
R&C2 is <1200mb
R&C3 is <1500mb

TimmiT

Time to get this out of the way: the ports seem to run at a sub-native resolution and are definitely 30fps rather than 60fps. They're better than the Jak ports, but still not as good as they should be.

I've only played the first Ratchet & Clank port, but I assume that the sequels run at a similar resolution/framerate.

EDIT: Just noticed this was already in the OP, or was it edited in there?

TimmiT

Just started the Ratchet 2 port. Strafing is mapped to the back touch screen. Not sure how I feel about this.

Vashetti

Banned
Time to get this out of the way: the ports seem to run at a sub-native resolution and are definitely 30fps rather than 60fps. They're better than the Jak ports, but still not as good as they should be.

I've only played the first Ratchet & Clank port, but I assume that the sequels run at a similar resolution/framerate.

EDIT: Just noticed this was already in the OP, or was it edited in there?

It was always in there, but thanks :)

This and Into the Nexus were to release here in the US, so who knows when they will see a release now. SCEA has given up on the Vita for sure, just sad.

RK128

Just started the Ratchet 2 port. Strafing is mapped to the back touch screen. Not sure how I feel about this.

If was I read online is right, you can also press down or up on the D-pad to enable auto-Strafing (which has Ratchet locked in the mode until you press the button again). Should be good for people who hate the rear touch pad :).

RK128

This and Into the Nexus were to release here in the US, so who knows when they will see a release now. SCEA has given up on the Vita for sure, just sad.

The difference here is that the Vita Collection got out at all; we still saw NOTHING about Nexus running Natively on Vita so far and all indications point to Sony cancelling Tin Giants Nexus port well before the PS3 version came out (they state they worked on a Nexus port on somewhere online, but that port never came out...point to the fact it might have gotten canceled due to the horrid quality of FFA's Vita version).

At least with the Collection, it will come to the US eventually. Remember how long it took the Sly Collection to come to US (despite the port being a good one), so that might be the case with this too.

Also, all points seem to indicate that the US version of the collection will be digital only (as no retailers have a release date for the US collection and it still doesn't have a concrete release date), so it can just randomly pop up out of nowhere sometime this month (likely, considering SCEA hates the Vita).

TimmiT

If was I read online is right, you can also press down or up on the D-pad to enable auto-Strafing (which has Ratchet locked in the mode until you press the button again). Should be good for people who hate the rear touch pad :).

The D-pad just moves Ratchet around like with the left analog stick. I don't see the option to have it be an on-and-off toggle for strafing in the options.

RK128

The D-pad just moves Ratchet around like with the left analog stick. I don't see the option to have it be an on-and-off toggle for strafing in the options.

Really? I remember reading so where online that auto-strafing DOES work..... Either I miss read something or that is a feature enabled in Ratchet 3 (which has many different control options in the PS2 version, so that must carry over into the Vita as well).

At least the rear-touch pad isn't that bad if you have a grip (meaning you can rest your hands on the grip when not strafing). Its a shame that isn't the case though (at least in Ratchet 2); that would have been a great way to solve the issue with using the rear touch pad :(.

TimmiT

Really? I remember reading so where online that auto-strafing DOES work..... Either I miss read something or that is a feature enabled in Ratchet 3 (which has many different control options in the PS2 version, so that must carry over into the Vita as well).

At least the rear-touch pad isn't that bad if you have a grip (meaning you can rest your hands on the grip when not strafing). Its a shame that isn't the case though (at least in Ratchet 2); that would have been a great way to solve the issue with using the rear touch pad :(.

Just checked Ratchet 3. You can set the controls to the game always being in strafing mode or in first person mode, but this has the be done with the options menu. This can't be done by pressing down on the d-pad.

VLiberty

Is the performance good? Or is another GoW situation?

Solid 30 fps. There are various glitches, especially in the first game there is one that, once you take a secondary path, makes re-play the main song instead of the right one, which is a big pity since R&C1's OST is pretty damn great. R&C3 seemed fine, can't tell about 2.

Also they switched the sound effects of the ship when you travel from one planet to another. But this is very minor, it's just me being OCD toward one of my favourite games ever...

R&C1 inputs are slightly lagged. R&C2 and 3 seemed fine but I'm not 100% sure.

Strafing is absent in R&C1 as you would expect since it did never feature it. In R&C 2 & 3 is mapped to the upper right quarter (from the perspective of someone playing; the quarter right under R) It's not difficult to use and it's cleverly mapped as I can rest all of my fingers on the other three quarters. Some reviewers are having big problem even finding what's the right quarter... :| but as long as you have just a minimum of cohordination, you should be fine

I noticed the game respawns faster. It's actually good but I'm not ok with this since, as already said, I'm being OCD...

TimmiT

I think using the back touch screen works, but it's definitely less comfortable to use than the trigger.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If SCEA ever decides to grace NA Vita owners with this title, I'll be there day one. This is the collection I've been waiting for, more than Jak and Sly (I own Jak, and it's fun, but I don't own Sly yet. I'll pick that up soon enough).

Up Your Arsenal is my second favorite Ratchet after A Crack in Time, and being able to play that on the go will be glorious.

VLiberty

I think there's no antialasing nor it's native res, so you'll notice some aliasing here and there.

Ratchet Redux will likely be a completely new game with just some bits of OG R&C's story.

The difference here is that the Vita Collection got out at all; we still saw NOTHING about Nexus running Natively on Vita so far and all indications point to Sony cancelling Tin Giants Nexus port well before the PS3 version came out (they state they worked on a Nexus port on somewhere online, but that port never came out...point to the fact it might have gotten canceled due to the horrid quality of FFA's Vita version).

At least with the Collection, it will come to the US eventually. Remember how long it took the Sly Collection to come to US (despite the port being a good one), so that might be the case with this too.

Also, all points seem to indicate that the US version of the collection will be digital only (as no retailers have a release date for the US collection and it still doesn't have a concrete release date), so it can just randomly pop up out of nowhere sometime this month (likely, considering SCEA hates the Vita).

That's a bummer if Into the Nexus doesn't make it to the Vita. I guess I can always play it on my kids PS3. You could be very well correct on the collection being digital only.

Stupid SCEA, sent this great device out to die. Hopefully when they restock shelves with the 2000 model here in the US, hopefully those sell out too to show them that there is some demand for this device. I think if the 2000 was released in the US in the fall, it would of had great momentum/sales.

VLiberty

As I said some days ago

1) SCE loves to announce their ports 1 to 3 months before
2) an eventual R&C Nexus Vita surely wouldn't be out sooner than 3-4 months after Trilogy's release

=

it's not over yet. But I hope they would get Gladiator HD in before.

RK128

Just checked Ratchet 3. You can set the controls to the game always being in strafing mode or in first person mode, but this has the be done with the options menu. This can't be done by pressing down on the d-pad.

That isn't auto-strafing mode, that is the games third person shooter control mode (which is the best way to play the game; did that for many of my playthough's on the PS2 :D). It makes the game feel great to play, as you have proper aiming with your weapons and even have light auto-lock when close to foes. I recommend playing Ratchet 3 in that mode if you find the default controls iffy to you :).

Ratchet 2 also has the first person mode but that is unlocked after you beat the game once (and it isn't that great; the buttons aren't remapped at all, so it feels awkward to control in that mode).

RK128

As I said some days ago

2) an eventual R&C Nexus Vita surely wouldn't be out sooner than 3-4 months after Trilogy's release

=

Okay, but why isn't the US version of the Ratchet Collection have no release date? Both the God of War, Jak and Sly Collections had solid release dates when they were announced....so what is the deal with the Ratchet one?

....They didn't even announce it during their E3 conference like they did with God of War/Flower/Dead Nation last year (then again, the Vita had a almost pitiful showing this E3 X().

I think the Collection will come to US, but the earliest I expect is late May and the latest is mid-August. A long while but it will come here at least (watch it be digital only with no cross-buy XD...... Please, don't do that SCEA :().

Nexus Vita....the game had issues running on PS3, so how could it run at a playable frame rate on Vita to being with? If Tin Giant ported over the same engine to Vita (which was the same on used for FFA I think), then we know how poorly runnable it is on Vita and if a top-tier developer isn't working on the port like Bluepoint or Armpature....it will come out BAD :(. That is why I think Sony quietly cancelled the Vita port of that; it ran so bad that Insomniac refused to let Sony put the game on Vita (and they got pissed at the FFA Vita port too; if ANOTHER one of that quality came to Vita under the Ratchet name...Insomniac might just stop working on the series in-general_.

VLiberty

It's not a matter of top tier teams. Tin giant is formed by the architect behind the Insomniac engine. I guess he knows better than other teams. I think Qforce was the result of a too short development cycle (well, the controls were shit as well but that's another story...). If they take their time, they could try and make it run properly.
But that's just speculation.

Redhood

Nice OT! Come on SCEA announce the crossbuy. I still think we may get the crossbuy in US. Its not over till it is.

As I said some days ago

=

I should be studying, instead I'm hunting for info about obscure teams developing obscure ports....

Rob Wyatt, Tin Giant's member's linkedin profile

We also produced the PS Vita version of 'Full Frontal Assault' and 'Into the Nexus' which involved porting an entire first party PS3 engine to the Vita.

What the actual fuck

It's worth noting that Tin Giant is apparently made up of just three devs and that they're all ex-Idol Minds devs who worked on R&C Trilogy PS3.

I wonder if they'll get to "redeem" as Mass Media did.

I had no idea that Tin Giant consisted of Idol Minds & ICE team veterans. Sony was thinking ok when they handed the ports to them. I know finding this again sparked hopes of R&C:ItN but SCEE was planning a bundle last year with this game. Either Tin Giant is taking their sweet time like they did with FFA or this port is dead. They were serious about this as the PS3 game has a shared trophy list and also a cloud upload option.

TimmiT

That isn't auto-strafing mode, that is the games third person shooter control mode (which is the best way to play the game; did that for many of my playthough's on the PS2 :D). It makes the game feel great to play, as you have proper aiming with your weapons and even have light auto-lock when close to foes. I recommend playing Ratchet 3 in that mode if you find the default controls iffy to you :).
It does seem like the better way to play the game, especially on Vita. Also, aside from the issues already mentioned, the ports are OK. They're playable and don't look too bad. But they're not as good as they could be. If you want the original Ratchet & Clank trilogy on the go, these ports are decent enough.

RK128

Nice OT! Come on SCEA announce the crossbuy. I still think we may get the crossbuy in US. Its not over till it is.

I had no idea that Tin Giant consisted of Idol Minds & ICE team veterans. Sony was thinking ok when they handed the ports to them. I know finding this again sparked hopes of R&C:ItN but SCEE was planning a bundle last year with this game. Either Tin Giant is taking their sweet time like they did with FFA or this port is dead. They were serious about this as the PS3 game has a shared trophy list and also a cloud upload option.

That does make more since if they are taking there time with the Nexus port; the game was a looker on PS3 and if Tin Giant is able to provide PS3-level visuals at Native Res, it could be a great game to bundle with Vitas this fall :D. Port or not, Nexus was a great game and if the Vita version was a bit more expanded (maybe explaining why the Vita version was taking too long to produce), it could be a great make-shift Vita Ratchet game for the platform.

Then again, that is with the mindset that Sony WANTS the Vita to succeed, so who knows what will happen :l.

hurzelein

My impression for the first game after 30min (so, very limited):

Framerate seems fine, graphics are nice (no Antialiasing but okay). But as others said, there is definitly a lag, and it is big enough to make the experience less entertaining. Slipped of a narrow bridge 3 times for example, because in the curves the controls just weren't on the spot.

Its still very much playable, but its defintily not perfect.

Edit: See Vlibertys Post.

VLiberty

My impression for the first game after 30min (so, very limited):

Framerate seems fine, graphics are nice (no Antialiasing but okay). But as others said, there is definitly a lag, and it is big enough to make the experience less entertaining. Slipped of a narrow bridge 3 times for example, because in the curves the controls just weren't on the spot.

Its still very much playable, but its defintily not perfect.

I also have a bug that my screens says "When this symbol pops up don't ende the game etc" the whole time, even after reload. Will quit the game later and do a complete restart.
Have you pressed triangle?

Oh, that's another thing I'm not happy about: there's no memory card icon, just the word "Saving" on the bottom right. :/

Btw can you try 2 and 3 and see if there's input lag as well? I had your problem with R&C1 but 2 & 3 seemed fine, so I was waiting for other people to try them.

RK128

I can just import this and play on a NA vita with no issues right?

Yes, as the Vita isn't region-locked for retail carts (for example, you could import a JP-only Vita game for your NA Vita and it would still work fine). The issue comes with DLC (as it is tied with the region the game is linked to, so a JP only game would only have its DLC workable if you are on a JP PSN accounts).

With the Ratchet Collection though, it should be no issues at all; if there is a patch, then you will get it and I doubt a collection is going to get DLC. If you want a retail version (as I doubt the US will have one) or just want to play the game now, then import it :D.

Top Bottom