• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate Microsoft's Xbox One conference

Using bags of DORITOS®, rate the POWERFUL CRUNCH of the XO reveal!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gestault

1/10

"Console war has changed. It's no longer about platforms, titles, or genres. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought with DRM and profile control. Console war - and its consumption of money - has become a well-oiled machine. Console war has changed. ID-tagged consoles run ID-tagged software, use ID-tagged accounts. DRM inside their software enhance and regulate their abilities. Streaming control. Information control. Connection control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored and kept under control. Console war has changed. The age of piracy has become the age of control...All in the name of averting catastrophe from secondhand sales and piracy. And he who controls the console...controls purchases. Console war has changed. When the games are under total control...gaming becomes routine."

1/10 no doritos for them.
About topic - very weak presentation. 40 minutes about multitasking and voice control and only 1 really interesting game(QB) and maybe Forza. MS trying to cover wider area for bigger profit, without core orientation. That give me feelings, that they lost and don't know what to do.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I give this conference exactly
Xbox
One bag of delicious DORITOS® Nacho Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips. They do not deserve any more of my delicious Nacho Cheesy Goodness due to planted applause and clearly highly choreographed backroom controlled visual displays.

However, I would give them Six bags of UTZ® BBQ Pork Rinds for their admittedly interesting approach to multimedia integration.

The post show which showed exactly what that integration would cost (and I don't mean in money) would cause me to smack all bags of their snacks out of their hands and punch Microsoft in the stomach until they puked up the DORITOS® and UTZ® Pork Rinds they had already consumed.

1/10

"Console war has changed. It's no longer about platforms, titles, or genres. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought with DRM and profile control. Console war - and its consumption of money - has become a well-oiled machine. Console war has changed. ID-tagged consoles run ID-tagged software, use ID-tagged accounts. DRM inside their software enhance and regulate their abilities. Streaming control. Information control. Connection control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored and kept under control. Console war has changed. The age of piracy has become the age of control...All in the name of averting catastrophe from secondhand sales and piracy. And he who controls the console...controls purchases. Console war has changed. When the games are under total control...gaming becomes routine."

*claps*

Love this meme.

Azriell

I enjoyed the first 15 minutes or so. I like voice command stuff, switching from games to tv (and the speed of it), the side panel feature (although, with the prevalence of smart phones, laptops, and tablets, who cares about a browser?). Considering how much time I spend on my consoles watching Netflix, and how much use I've gotten out of Tvii, I find the multimedia stuff to be pretty valuable. For this reason, dedicating 3GB of ram to the other two OSs, and the fact that there are 3 OSs, does not bother me. Having a 3GB disadvantage is not a great position to be in, but I suspect that Sony may ultimately use a gig or two on apps/background switching themselves. We will also probably end up in a situation where 99% of games look and perform similarly on both pieces of hardware.

I did not care for the rest of the presentation, because none of it was stuff that appealed to me. I don't care about those games, and I don't care about Call of Duty SP.

Based solely on the beginning of the presentation, I would give MS a 7/10. I realize a lot of people "want their gaming console to play games", and I agree, but I also really like the cool tech stuff, too. But once the other info started trickling my feelings changed drastically. I went from sold on the One to swearing the thing off.

Mrbob

Plus five points for showing a new Remedy IP.

Minus two points for integrating that live action garbage into the reveal.

3/10

tsumineko

These results give me hope for humanity.

We're telling these corporations we don't want their anti-consumer bullcrap. We're telling these corporations we can see through their PR.

Microsoft, I will not buy your console, no matter what games you put on it. I owned and loved both the original Xbox and the Xbox360. I bought both consoles on launch day. I bought a huge amount of games. You won't see a cent this time.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
These results give me hope for humanity.

We're telling these corporations we don't want their anti-consumer bullcrap. We're telling these corporations we can see through their PR.

Microsoft, I will not buy your console, no matter what games you put on it. I owned and loved both the original Xbox and the Xbox360. I bought both consoles on launch day. I bought a huge amount of games. You won't see a cent this time.

I also find it strange to see people saying they'd buy the box despite all of the anti-consumer features, if one of their favourite games was exclusive to the box. There is no single game that can justify the supporting of anti-consumer features. Not a single one.

tsumineko

I also find it strange to see people saying they'd buy the box despite all of the anti-consumer features, if one of their favourite games was exclusive to the box. There is no single game that can justify the supporting of anti-consumer features. Not a single one.

Absolutely. At the end of the day, I can walk away from my favourite franchises and feel nothing, considering what I would need to give up to play them. They're just games. There are plenty of them everywhere. I can still have my fun in a way that won't rip me of my rights.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Do achievements carry over to the Xbox One?

My friend was arguing with me that they do carry over.

I said to him how would that work under their supposedly new system...? He responded that MS will give an arbitrary score...

True or False?

Do achievements carry over to the Xbox One?

My friend was arguing with me that they do carry over.

I said to him how would that work under their supposedly new system...? He responded that MS will give an arbitrary score...

True or False?

Achievements will carry over.

Confirmed in yesterday's Questions and non-answers session with Major Nelson.

mr2xxx

Banned
5/10

OS seems nice but everything related to gaming was a disappointment. They spent 400 mill. on NFL exclusives that they never clarified on. Even if it is an amazing exclusive it does not benefit anyone outside of the USA, better to spend that on games. E3 could redeem them if they state steam like sales to make up for shitty DRM and some great exclusives. The likelihood for steam sales is maybe 1% since there is no competition in the Xbox marketplace .

It's on Sony to not fuck this up at E3 at this point. If Sony screws up then it is PC+rift combo until some major next gen price cuts.

fader

I felt like there was to much focus on the Casual fans who only buy a xbox for Netflix or the Kinect while they were like "Oh yea, and heres some screen shots for you Hardcore gamers, blah blah blah, BACK TO THE KINECT!"

big youth

I'm shocked by the negative reaction, relative to how decent and unsurprising the conference was. It was exactly in line with what rumors and common sense had us believing, but the fact we will see 15 exclusive titles in the first 1-2 years was a nice surprise.

I'd give them a 6.5 or so. The game talk should have started ~10 minutes sooner and 1-2 more games should have been revealed, shown, or detailed.

1/10

CitizenKaneClap.gif

nkarafo

I'm taking the past few days into account. It's staggering, really. Look, most of us hate the TV-centric approach the conference went with. But this goes beyond that. The first rumours broke, what, at the start of February? Sony's conference was a week later. Since then new rumours about the console have come out almost every week. There was the Adam Orth fiasco. They've had 3 months to see the negativity surrounding, uh, everything. They've had 3 months to look at Sony's approach – being entirely candid about the shortcomings of PS3, highly informative presentation, focus on games – and the response that garnered. And they still seem clueless. We give Nintendo shit for not seeming to know what they're doing, but Jesus Christ, this is another level altogether.

Watch Cerny's portion of the Sony conference and just how much he told us, then compare it with the vapid nothingness presented by Mattrick et al. Not a single negative rumour was addressed and what they did give us was vague at best. "Here's one box to control the living room", they said. Except it'll only be available in North America at launch, doesn't replace your cable box, can't interface with DVR and uses HDMI-CEC to control channel switching which only the newest boxes support. "We have exclusive FIFA Ultimate Team content." What is it? With how focused the whole presentation was on the US surely now is as good a time as any to rope in some of Europe. "Here are some of the games, running on Xbox One, that are only possible because of Xbox One." Where? Those are (highly unimpressive) pre-rendered trailers. Are you guys even ready for this?

So then they decided to address all the negative shit after the conference. You'd think with 3 months they'd have some good answers for us. Nope. Every representative seemed to contradict the last. There's a used game fee, but there's no fee, but it'll be a small fee, now the fee is the full price of the game, but there's a paywall, then it's tied to your installation, then your profile, then your family can use the game on your profile, GameStop didn't know about it, but now they know how it'll work. This has been addressed by a Corporate Vice President, General Manager, multiple reps, official support account on Twitter, Director of Programming and President of Interactive Business. Not only do we still not fucking know, they're surprised by what the others are saying. Get your shit straight. "You have permission to play your game." Fuck off.

Then as soon as it was revealed that PS4 was (supposedly) a good deal more powerful the new company line was that Xbox One would "leverage" (I wish PR people would stop using this as a verb) the infinite powah of the cloud. Oh, so it's always online? No it isn't, but it is, it checks every 24 hours, Harrison is wrong, now he's right, we're still thinking about it, the whole console is designed around the new age of fast internet, but the internet isn't stable enough for OnLive or Gaikai, yet the cloud makes Xbox One 40x more powerful. So a console that isn't always online...offloads calculations to the cloud...once every 24 hours...making it 40x more powerful? What. Did I mention the large disregard for indie games, forced Kinect and installations? How will games activate when they eventually shut down the servers? How will infinite cloud power-enhanced games scale back for those with no internet connection? How does it work in the first place? What are some concrete examples? Why aren't game "journalists" asking these questions?

I just don't understand how they can be surprised by any of this. They have been asked most of these questions since February and said "Microsoft does not comment on rumour or speculation". Well, here we are at Microsoft's official event. Does Microsoft comment on features announced by their own staff at their own unveiling? "We still don't know. We'll let you know when we feel like it." They've clearly decided that they want to take this console in a direction that makes a closed platform even more closed by adopting the most anti-consumer policies gaming has ever seen, so yeah, people are probably going to ask how it works. Why put any faith in them when their entire gaming division has appeared this incompetent?

So every negative rumour came true (sometimes worse), even the implied ones about them being 6 months behind in development, and we're even more confused now than before the conference. Good job, Microsoft.

Xbox One / 10
Preach it brother! Good post!

Jeanmamadou

Neo Member
as a gamer 3/10
and if I wasnt maybe higher but I wouldn't care...

How come MS produces such an America-centric show when it already won there.

I remember enjoying the PS4 announcement quite a bit, but being disappointed because my hype was off the charts. I am watching it again now, and WTF, it is orders of magnitudes better than the Xbone reveal.

The opening highlight real of the PS4 event is excellent. Great music, great branding, and then BOOM Andrew House outlines Sony's intentions with the system, and then BOOM Cerny gets into the nuts and bolts. A solid direction is laid out and followed up with real technical data regarding the hardware. After all of that they get into the games.

Watching the PS4 event for the 2nd time... it's much better than i remember.

bunbun777

2/10 because somewhere in the back of my mind I imagine it could have been worse.
Has anyone from Gamefly or Redbox commented on this? What is the future for rentals?

GoldPunch

Banned
Xbox Conferance (4): EA Games, Remedy, Infinity Ward, Turn 10 Studios
PS Conferance (9): Square Enix, Guerilla Games, Evolution Studios, Blizzard, Capcom, Sucker Punch, Quantic Dream, Ubisoft, Activision

kaskade

I went 5/10. Maybe I was a bit generous but this conference was the reveal. I kind of wasn't expecting to see much in terms of games with E3 right around the corner. Some of the stuff looks interesting and I probably will end up getting one anyway but the PS4 might come first. I think this was to appeal to more of the masses with all the sports and CoD taking the center stage. I feel like the mainstream will bite on the Xbox more than the PS4 now with all the entertainment shit. e3 is when we will really see what's what.

Portugeezer

This....doesn't even fucking matter. Almost all mainstream media are talking about it positively and the hardcore of the hardcore are wigging out for no reason.Also, major nelson and other ms talking heads have stated that e3 will be the software showcase. Which makes sense. Because its so close to it. Why bitch and moan about that?

Three weeks from now games will be reveal if you like it or not. And I don't know about some of you but I'm excited for what they have to show.
Relax man. And it does matter, they should have shown more games.

Do you think Sony is going to pull an Xbone reveal at E3?
Nope, Sony talked more about games in the PS4 reveal 3 months ago than in the Xbone reveal, and they will talk more about games at E3.

Comparison between PS4 reveal (which many people found lacklustre) is what makes the Xbone reveal even shittier.

ari

Banned
Relax man. And it does matter, they should have shown more games.

Do you think Sony is going to pull an Xbone reveal at E3?
Nope, Sony talked more about games in the PS4 reveal 3 months ago than in the Xbone reveal, and they will talk more about games at E3.

Comparison between PS4 reveal (which many people found lacklustre) is what makes the Xbone reveal even shittier.
Sony's reveal was 3 months ago and not 3 weeks before e3. which mean they better had shown games.

Also, When a company statements state that they will be two reveals, hardware and software showcase at two events. Why bash them for only showing the hardware when that's all will be there anyhow?

None of this bullshit even matters anyhow. Just like it didn't when the 360 had a lack of games at its reveal. A month from now launch details and games will be shown for both x1 and ps4 and none of this negative shit will even matter.

Lets be honest, The 24 hour check in and meh DRM doesn't effect much people here, and the kinect and TV stuff is hardly a fucking turnoff. The hate is so overblown its turning into self parody.

What I find so funny about all of this, is how shocked most gamers are.

This is the whole reason M$ wanted into the console business in the first place.

They have wanted windows for your TV since the Dreamcast days.

Gamers have fed the beast enough to have it possible now.

Let's just hope they don't sacrifice gaming in order to accomplish their goals.

I give it a 1 or 2 just because i got zero hype or excitement out of it. When they announced the specs, i was disappointed. When they revealed the TV crap, i was completely indifferent and after that i just kept waiting on that one game trailer or demo that would save it for me, and that never came to be. The games they showed werent impressive, the EA stuff was absolutely useless.

Overall, a complete letdown for me. I haven't been this letdown for a MS console ever. Really really disappointed.

1/10

I have to mention about the guy who presented BF4. If I were him, holy shit I would be awkward and embarrassed if something went wrong with the presentation. But overall, nothing surprised or gave me an interest except MGS.

Top Bottom