• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the overall E3!

How was E3?

• Total voters

Michele

you.
By Overall E3, I do mean for example, everything, Nintendo, Microsoft, Square Enix, whatever.

How was it? Awesome? Great? Good? Okay? Meh? Not bad? Disappointing? Bad? Worst? Cringe?

I thought it was okay. I'm looking forward to several games this year and early next year, so I'm pretty satisfied. Most companies had horrible conferences though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It was total ass.

Best bits:

1. Cyberpunk w/Keanu
2. BOTW 2 announcement
3. Animal Crossing release date

Sony was right to sit this out. MS was what I was looking forward to most but it was eh overall. Halo + Scarlett was disappointing. Basically just a dumb teaser for Halo and then a stupid codename for next gen Xbox. Sony beat MS but they just came out and said it while MS had to put on a big spectacle for pretty much the same thing (oh it has an AMD cpu/gpu and super duper ultra speedy fast SSD!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Okay because of Nintendo, Square and Gamepass to PC. Rest was very meh.

Late gen E3 always suck as ant megatons are going to be saved for making s splash the following year when new hardware is officially unveiled (mostly at platform events rather than E3 these days. E3 is becoming a relic of the past with how easy it is for platform holders and big publishers to have their own events or do Nintendo Direct/State of Play style streams.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Disappointing really,
Ghostwire Tokyo
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
Final Fantasy VII Remake
That what took away from it.

Thabass

Square Enix and Nintendo really saved it. Microsoft also had a good showing. The rest of it was meh. No Fable either.

Reactions: Isa

Fbh

Disappointing but not terrible.
While there were some interesting announcements, and both Nintendo and Square had a great show, the over use of CGI and "in engine" cinematic trailers really brought things down.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most of the conference were painfully boring but thank god for Nintendo and Square Enix, they literary save entire E3 for me.

As bad as most E3 was it was still worth it, it was daaamn worth it.

Saber

Gold Member
It was ok, but only because of Nintendo.

Cheez its hard to admit, I never though Nintendo would make the best of it.

Rodolink

I was expecting to see the new xbox hardware, Bayonetta 3 or Metroid 4. Maybe hints on Switch pro and a surprise PS5 tease.
But nothing.
Anyway I stopped raising my expectations on E3 since this generation.

Typhares

To me it was good, quite a few games I am eager to see at the end of the year and beginning of next. You can start smelling the next gen which always make for a slightly awkard transition period and I am now a MS gamer too with gamepass PC.

Pejo

The Nintendo Direct was where most of the actual gameplay footage came from, and they had some great games and surprises. That said, Directs are just videos, so it could have been played during E3 or Labor Day or some random Thursday and had the same effect. E3 itself was ok. There were definitely less exciting announcements, MUCH less gameplay footage, and too much hidden for the sake of "next gen".

Maybe i missed something, but it seems like this year had less cringe moments too, which I always enjoyed about E3. Where were the Xbox dancers and actors, the Ubisoft models playing laser tag, the Nintendo execs playing wii music, or the high profile actors not giving a shit about the thing they're there to endorse (Keanu gets a pass here)? I guess it's more professional without that stuff, but that was half of what made E3s memorable. 2010 is still my all time favorite E3 and it had very little to do with the games announced.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Square Enix and Nintendo really saved it. Microsoft also had a good showing. The rest of it was meh. No Fable either.

Fable is one of this games that just make more sense to save for when they officially reveal the next Xbox next year. They need a lot of games to make a splash and get people to upgrade. Nothing is going to move the needle dramatically on PS4 or Xbox One hardware sales this late in the generation. Nintendo is different as they’re off cycle and we’re probably at least 3 years away from a true, next gen Switch. They’ll do their own mid gen refresh with a more portable version and slightly more powerful version (ala New 3DS/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X) to keep it going.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo and Square Enix killed it(or should I say, saved it).

Ubisoft was abysmal, Bethesda was like vomit, and Microsoft was underwhelming.

So, it was okay to great, overall.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I went with good. Nintendo's was great, but basically everything else brought down the average for me, besides Star Wars and FF 7 Remake which I really liked.

Huge hooray for Nintendo and Square Enix (that Seiken Densetsu 3 remake was really something). Huge meh for MS, Bethesda and everything else.

In the average it was OK.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Microsoft bad to meh: D to C
Sony: Didnt Show but what thy showed and talked about weeks prior was better than most of the conferences imo
Nintendo Decent:C+

Last edited:

StormCell

I voted that it was good. It wasn't great, and since I really only cared about Nintendo it was good. I've got more than enough games coming out that I'm interested in until next Summer.

And yeah, even though Sony wasn't really there, there's enough games coming out on PS4 that it's all good.

One of the most disappointing E3's of all time for me personally. That being said, I just think it was the quiet before the storm. Next year will be pretty big as Sony and Xbox put their new consoles up there in full force. That always makes things more exciting.

Gamernyc78

Banned
One of the most disappointing E3's of all time for me personally. That being said, I just think it was the quiet before the storm. Next year will be pretty big as Sony and Xbox put their new consoles up there in full force. That always makes things more exciting.

Just imagine when you finally get to open your new console of choice or both! Good times and holidays ahead 🙂

E3 2020 though....

giphy.gif

FranXico

Didnt Show but what thy showed and talked about weeks prior was better than most of the conferences imo
Nah. A good press conference would have been good. Sony gets an F for not showing up.
But I do get it, if you don't have anything of substance at all to present, don't bother.

Kadayi

Banned
Firm ok. Some highlights, though the pre-E3 leaks kind of put a dampener on many or the reveals (I think Elden Ring, in particular, suffered from a lack of 'wow' ).

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nah. A good press conference would have been good. Sony gets an F for not showing up.
But I do get it, if you don't have anything of substance at all to present, don't bother.

Nah if Sony wanted to show things of substance they could have easily gave us updated footage of Tlou2, Concrete genie, Ghost of T, Saved Deaths Stranding info, Wire article info could have been done onstage, got fromsoft to do elden reveal instead of Micro like thy have in the past, had COD next installment up there some other third parties and few tidbits on next unknown exclusives. It's bs to say they had nothing to show when for countless E3's in the past Micro has been given a pass on showing bs like Recore, State of Decay, Forza, Crack Down 3, Halo, Sea of Thieves, etc for more than one E3 which Sony could have done as well. This E3 at least Microsoft showed new stuff but it was mostly low budget AA stuff many didnt care for.

It's ridiculous and naive to think thy had nothing to show when what we saw from the competition was mostly third party games and indie AA exclusives. Sony on their worst days could top tht with few minutes of tlou2, Ghost of T. Etc Sony just holding out and strategically decided not to go to E3 thts the bottom line has nothing to do with content when we all know thy held back especially on next Gen console reveal.

My point🤔Sony could have easily done a show better than the competition if they thought strategically it would benefit them but they chose not to. My second point be careful how you present conferences because honestly that conference just pushed me towards not getting a Scarlet next Gen thts how bad I thought it was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom