• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ray Tracing in Monster Hunter World, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Watch_Dogs 2, Call of Duty Ghosts & more

CyberPanda

Banned
YouTube’s members Benchmark PC Tech, Jose cangrejo, WillTalksTech, Zetman and MissinInAction have published some videos, showing Monster Hunter World, Black Mesa Xen, Watch_Dogs 2, Call of Duty Ghosts, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, The Sinking City, Remember Me, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 with the ray tracing/path tracing effects that Pascal Gilcher’s Reshade mod introduces.

As you will immediately notice, there are light bouncing effects in pretty much all of the aforementioned games, as well as better ambient occlusion effects. Of course these ray tracing effects come with a big performance hit so it’s questionable for some whether these effects justify the performance hit. On the other hand, this is an optional way via which you can further improve the visuals of older games.

Black Mesa: Xena, Watch_Dogs 2, Monster Hunter World, Dishonored 2 and Call of Duty: Ghosts greatly benefit from the Reshade Ray Tracing effects, and we highly recommend using it if your GPU is powerful enough to handle them.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit also looks awesome, however WillTalksTech used other Reshade effects alongside the Ray Tracing effects (and he did not provide any before/after comparison scenes). As for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I’m a bit puzzled at the moment as the game appears too dark for my taste with these ray tracing effects.

Last but not least, it’s really interesting witnessing The Sinking City with this Reshade Ray Tracing mod. The Sinking City uses Unreal Engine 4 and was recently released, so it’s kind of cool watching a new brand new game with this Reshade. Not only that, but there are some noticeable visual improvements with it.

Last edited:

SliChillax

I can't help but feel like ray tracing is just another gimmick like PhysX, which amounted to some leaves and newspapers blowing about on the floor. I hope ray tracing is here to stay, but I'm cynical.
How the hell is Physx a gimmick? Everybody is using now effects that Nvidia was putting in PC games like 10 years ago. Also these videos are not actual representation of ray tracing, in fact they look horrible. Look at Metro Exodus wirh raytracing on a off and then tell me if it is a gimmick. Im sure people like you also called 1080p a gimmick when it was introduced or any graphical innovation for that matter that you take today for granted.

Ol'Scratch

Not so much a fan of this mod. I saw some footage and screens of Witcher 3 and something else with it and in some ways it is definitely pretty and interesting it is not true ray tracing from what I understand

manfestival

Why in the world would you want to put Ray Tracing on in monster hunter... a game that is super taxing to begin with lol. Anyways, the color goes from washed out to darker/sharper. However everything is also blurry and double looking if you really pay attention to the details

CyberPanda

Banned
How the hell is Physx a gimmick? Everybody is using now effects that Nvidia was putting in PC games like 10 years ago. Also these videos are not actual representation of ray tracing, in fact they look horrible. Look at Metro Exodus wirh raytracing on a off and then tell me if it is a gimmick. Im sure people like you also called 1080p a gimmick when it was introduced or any graphical innovation for that matter that you take today for granted.
Well, yea. The videos I posted are of Reshade mod, and doesn't represent actual Ray-Tracing. And, you're right about Metro Exodus, the RTX implementation in that is impressive, and the upcoming Remedy game Control is doing impressive stuff as well.

dirthead

Banned
I can't help but feel like ray tracing is just another gimmick like PhysX, which amounted to some leaves and newspapers blowing about on the floor. I hope ray tracing is here to stay, but I'm cynical.

Nvidia's implementation of it might be a gimmick, but ray tracing itself is not. I mean, all Disney CG cartoons are rendered with ray tracing. The tech is proven, works, and looks amazing. It's just a matter of having the computational power to do it.

This pretty much sums it up.

http://raytracey.blogspot.com/2011/08/john-carmack-eventually-ray-tracing.html

Pagusas

Elden Member
...we need a PSA about how reshade is not Raytracing and shouldn’t be used as an example of what good real raytracing will look like. All these things are doing is ruining the idea of how awesome raytracing actually looks by presenting these bad examples.

V4skunk

Banned
To be fair these videos are terrible.
Search YouTube for quake2 ray tracing.

Last edited:

Keihart

Since most games are using some form of baked global illumination and are already faking most of the effects that ray tracing can dynamically produce. the difference is quite marginal in most games, old games or games with simpler lighting can get way prettier tho. Like Minecraft or the old/new Quake. Fear might be a cool upgrade since there is so much dynamic lighting going on....i wonder if someone already moded it...hmmm.

Found it! looks pretty cool:

Edit: i'll excuse myself beforehand for the pun, but activating ray tracing in Fear is like hiring a "Gaffer"...heh...i'll see myself out now.

Edit 2: Some Minecraft

Last edited:
Top Bottom