• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends confirmed for Vita [Up: Official, Gets Exclusive Content]

Oppo

Vita version has local co-op...

I wonder if it will also come out for PS3 and allow PS3>Vita co-op via wifi? That would be cool.

It wasn't unplayable but I'd imagine you would have to be pretty delusional to say "It was fine. It was embarrassing. If you had no choice, the game COULD be played on there and maybe even enjoyed, but its an ENORMOUS step down from the other versions.

That's mostly fair. Based on the demo, I'd give it a heavily qualified recommendation, which is that it's a serviceable enough port if you really want a portable version and don't plan on owning a Vita anytime soon.

NotLiquid

Noooooo. I've never heard anybody say the Wii U's dpad is better. I've had both since launch and there's no way that's the case. Wii U dpad is great, don't get me wrong, but its definitely not to Vita's levels.

Speaking from my own personal experience the Vita D-Pad is too small for my gigantic hands (sort of think the same of all the Vita face buttons). It feels good but I far, far prefer the Wii U D-Pad. The design has stood the test of time and it being formed much like the Classic Controller makes it a godsend for 2D games in my opinion. The only issue it has is diagonal movement but Legends and Origins doesn't use that in any meaningful way.

It just feels so good to press that thing since it goes so deep. Vita D-Pad feels good to press down too due to the click but it's a different kind of satisfaction. Apples and oranges I'd say, both are the best D-Pads in recent history, if not some of the best in gaming.

3DS XL does a decent compromise I think, feels similar to Vita's but has Nintendo's design.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Noooooo. I've never heard anybody say the Wii U's dpad is better. I've had both since launch and there's no way that's the case. Wii U dpad is great, don't get me wrong, but its definitely not to Vita's levels.

But you are correct in that you have to choose between the Vita's benefits (dpad, OLED, portability) and Wii U's (TV play and co-op with one system and one game). If you want to play co op then obviously Wii U would be the version to get.

I also have both systems since launch and I find the Wii U d-pad to be more comfortable, of course, this is a matter of opinion. The Vita dpad is definitely better than the 3DS, 360 or PS3 one, though (not even a question of taste) :).

Rayman Origins didn't have full mutliplayer though, so I highly doubt that the Vita version of Legends will feature more multiplayer than one player playing Rayman and one player playing Murfy.

Edit: Murfy is controlled via the Rear touch pad? Having played the first week's challenge on Wii U, I don't feel that good about this decision. I don't think you can be nearly fast and precise enough just using the rear touchpad. In fact, even for the touchscreen I'd have preferred to have a stylus.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's mostly fair. Based on the demo, I'd give it a heavily qualified recommendation, which is that it's a serviceable enough port if you really want a portable version and don't plan on owning a Vita anytime soon.

Actually the final game is running a lot better than the demo. Rayman Origins on 3DS is the worst version, but it still plays well and if you want a portable version and don't have the option to get a Vita-version, you can't go wrong with the 3DS version either.

Conan-san

Yeah, they should definitely aggravate third parties, especially the one that's showing them the most support.
If this is the best they're getting, they should just up and become the Nintendo of '85 again and constantly punch publishers in the throat until they fall in line.

Might actually wake up the space between their collective ears.

Pitmonkey

I know this may have been mentioned, but any word on getting the challenge app? It's amazing on the Wii U, could suit the Vita nicely.

CamHostage

Oh man oh wow oh man.

If that footage was real Vita footage....

It's very likely running on a dev kit (if not the development suite itself) rather than into a Vita and back out again, but they're showing the exclusive content so I assume it's the Vita assets and engine variant.

Skyzard

Banned
I usually play co-op platformers with a friend, though, and he doesn't have a Vita so I don't think we could use this co-op.

I'm wondering if I should get the Vita version anyway, because next month EU Plus gets Origins for Vita.

Seems better to get it on consoles to be honest if you have a platforming buddy, also the vita co-op doesn't look good (one player is touchscreen only). Plus if you don't have origins on Vita then it will be a great bonus with PS+, doubt you'll need both versions so close to eachother.

I agree with others, not really a definitive version tbh, who cares, pick the platform you are excited/expected to play it on the most.

I hope he is good though, the first game had a lot of areas that needed decent speed and precision. I can imagine it getting frustrating with a noob (for everyone). I wish it had online co-op. Might be too laggy or something... :S Would have been great to have a decent partner, definitely more fun if you have someone available often.

Legends is actually a fair bit more technically complex than Origins (lighting, particles, 3D graphical elements), so I doubt it could be ported down to 3DS as "well" as Origins was.

I noticed they scaled back with the Vita too but I mean there is still decent artwork (so even without the extra particles and effects), seems possible they can just scale a bit further back and keep it similar to the original if they wanted to down the line...but I understand they might not want to if it didn't work out so well the first time as someone suggested? Maybe not though, I haven't spotted the 3D stuff yet, hope it doesn't drag it down much on Vita.

A separate version for the 3DS would probably be better though. Might pay off. A bit random but I wonder if Japan likes Rayman too.

baconcow

This game is showing up as $60 in Canada on the Vita. At Futureshop, Best Buy, and Amazon.ca. I hope this is a mistake.

Skyzard

Banned
No proper adhoc mode? Some touchscreen crap...hmm better than nothing I guess and it looks like they adapted the levels to suit the touchscreen+normal play with quick time squibbles for them to do :p

Heard it was easier in general than Origins too.

Hope the FPS is good.

baconcow

No proper adhoc mode? Some touchscreen crap...hmm better than nothing I guess and it looks like they adapted the levels to suit the touchscreen+normal play with quick time squibbles for them to do :p

Heard it was easier in general than Origins too.

Hope the FPS is good.

Are people here not saying it has full local co-op along with the touchscreen stuff?

8byte

Banned
This will be my platform of choice for this title. Despite it probably having better visuals on the bigger brothers, it just felt so awesome to have it on the go, especially between classes. Can't wait!

That trailer got me hyped! I am thinking about the Wii U version but since I am not planning in getting one anytime soon the Vita version seems like a no brainer. I wish there was online co op option as it be hard to find someone with a Vita locally.

I understand no cross buy but I do hope they are cloud save compatible. Such a shame that the best looking version of Origins didn't get much play for me because I was already so deep into trying to 100% the ps3 version.

Top Bottom