• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition (Switch) review thread

Scoops

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Metacritic - 89 (7 reviews)

Opencritic - 89 (5 reviews)

Gameblog France - 9/10

Rayman Legends didn't age at all. It's still one of the most well-crafted and most gorgeous platformers you can play today, alone or with friends. But with only a few additions that don't change anything compared to the other versions, we can say we don't really understand how it feels "Definitive".

Trusted Reviews - 4.5/5

Rayman Legends is a masterful platformer that excels in almost every way. It's stunningly crafted levels, adorable visuals and excellent music all leave a deep, lasting impression.

Nintendo Life - 9/10

Despite its ‘Definitive Edition' moniker, the vast majority of what you get in the Switch version of Rayman Legends has been seen in every other edition. The only truly new features here are a complete character roster for the first time and a tournament mode for its football mini-game. That's not to say it's a bad game; that couldn't be further from the truth. It's still one of the best plumber-free platformers ever made, and its budget price means if you haven't played it before this is the perfect time to jump in. Just be warned: if you already got your fill on Wii U or any other system, there isn't really much here you won't have already seen.

Hobby Consales - 8.8/10

True Gaming - 8.5/10

Shame that "Definitive Edition" is little more than a meaningless subtitle. I was hoping for some more new content.

ionitron

This game came out on the Wii U when I had just started college, and I have since graduated. Silly that it gets ported to everything, lol.

That being said, it is a good game, so -shrugs-

This game came out on the Wii U when I had just started college, and I have since graduated. Silly that it gets ported to everything, lol.

That being said, it is a good game, so -shrugs-

It also isn't exactly a costly porting process so it makes sense to port it to new platforms.
Why would the word definitive imply new content?

It's means the final or decisive version.

Definitive means best. Outside of general perks of the Switch as a system this is pretty much just another version of Rayman Legends.

maxcriden

Shame that "Definitive Edition" is little more than a meaningless subtitle. I was hoping for some more new content.

Seriously. As is I'm stuck with my usual duty of advising people to play the included Origins levels in Origins proper, if possible, since they're made easier to 100% here and since you get to play the great other Origins levels that weren't included that way.

That aside, this game has a lot of great original levels. But the final unlockable world is complete BS.

Also, I would really not want to play the Murphy levels with button QTEs. In 1P they're better designed to he played in touchscreen IMO.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. Despite never finishing it on PC, I may have gotten this if it had significant additions. Since it's the same, I'll pass.

ngower

Not sure I want to get caught up in the debate ongoing here, but I'm excited to finally play this and I'll gladly pay for it for Switch given the portability factor. Would have loved to have this on my flight last week.

True Fire

I mean, it's not like it's going to suddenly get 5/10 reviews. The obsession over review scores, especially of ports of games we already know are good, is weird to me.

Not sure I want to get caught up in the debate ongoing here, but I'm excited to finally play this and I'll gladly pay for it for Switch given the portability factor. Would have loved to have this on my flight last week.
It's obviously a very good game worth getting if you haven't played it before or want it portably.
The subtitle is horsepoop marketing spiel though.

I would buy this at $20. Such a great fucking game. Definitely buy if you've never played it yet, but you can skip the 8 bit levels. Trust me.

Also weird that the "Definitive Edition" of a 2D platformer comes out on a system that doesn't have a dpad. But I guess GOTY edition got old.

Awesome that this is still getting good reviews.

I think I'll wait for a price drop though. 40 is a lot for this game without much new additions in my opinion. Would have been real nice if they had bundled Rayman Origins along with it (yes I know that there are Origins levels in Legends).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
going to love having this on Switch

i never did beat it thoroughly like i did Origins, so this is a great opportunity to dig in and find all those secrets and stuff

my only complain is the change in art direction for the faries from origins

jph139

I never liked Rayman but really loved the demo - great balance between platforming, puzzles, and collecting shit. And lots of playable characters. Lots of content in general.

So I'll probably grab this when it's on sale around Christmas time. Would love for Origins to get a port, too, if it's in the same ballpark.

XaosWolf

So Definitive really doesn't add anything new. Would have loved for them to just add the rest of the Origins levels in. (I much preferred the difficulty of Origins)

My copy should arrive tomorrow regardless. Love me some Rayman. <3

I'll probably double dip at some point for this. Loved the game on Wii U when it came out!

Definitely pick this game up if you haven't. Really great 2D platformer!

VanWinkle

I wish Ubi had given me more reason to get this. But already having it on the PS4 and Vita and no real new content means I can't justify it.

I wish Ubi had given me more reason to get this. But already having it on the PS4 and Vita and no real new content means I can't justify it.

The pros of being on Switch are really the only key new selling points.

Portable/console and local multiplayer. I wish it did more but it's still one of the best platformers of all time and this is the most ideal setup for it.

Semajer

Does this port contain all the costumes that were split amongst the various consoles when it was originally released?

Glad to know that they didn't somehow botch the port! Fantastic game that I'll gladly buy again (at a much lower price). I really think they missed the ball by not releasing this earlier and cheaper though... This would have been a must-have if it were out on launch day.

BigEmil

I was thinking of double dipping on this 'Definitive edition' version but looks like I won't miss anything lol hardly anything much new

Seriously. As is I'm stuck with my usual duty of advising people to play the included Origins levels in Origins proper, if possible, since they're made easier to 100% here and since you get to play the great other Origins levels that weren't included that way.

That aside, this game has a lot of great original levels. But the final unlockable world is complete BS.

Also, I would really not want to play the Murphy levels with button QTEs. In 1P they're better designed to he played in touchscreen IMO.

Murphy levels on a controller are better than touchscreen, because it doesn't take control away from you. It stays a platformer and has extra mechanics vs. becoming some stupid mobile auto runner

Top Bottom