• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins PC - March 29 - Retail copy no DRM, Steam copy no 3rd party DRM

Demo sold me. Been waiting for a proper Rayman-game for too long. Temporarily forgot about Ubi's terrible DRM-practices though, should probably've held off with the preorder. Here's hoping they don't fuck it up!

Lijik

Didn't know about this, but seems Ancel wanted to deliver the UbiART framework as open source. And it says this on the Steam page:

A Handful of Highly Talented Artists and Engineers: Rayman Origins was developed by the UBIart team in Montpellier and is built on an open-source game engine - the UBIart Framework - designed by Michel Ancel to allow much smaller teams of artists and developers to produce incredibly high-quality graphics and gameplay quickly and efficiently. This garage-game approach has led to great strides in creativity and innovation.

Maybe they are still planning it? Probably just a mistake, but there is a small possibility.

Please please please.
I've wanted to use this engine for animation purposes for a long time. The bone tool in flash is a piece of shit and sometimes I want to do cutout style animation.
The video they posted one or two summers ago of how you animate characters in the engine looked top of the line.

ezodagrom

: D

aBZy9.png
Confirmation from Ubisoft's Rayman twitter:
What is written on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/207490/) is correct: the #Steam version of #RaymanOrigins won't contain any 3rd party #DRM.
https://twitter.com/#!/RaymanGame/status/177073556901986304

chiablo

Does this game have wireless xbox 360 pad support?

Mine isn't working.

Make sure that the XBox controller is on and connected to the wireless receiver before starting the game. You also have to go into controls and manually assign everything.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a list of what the default controls are for the XBox 360 version?

epmode

This will be released on Steam in 4 hours. I hope they aren't mistaken about that no 3rd party DRM thing!

(if you pre-order on Steam, you also get a copy of Rayman 2)

CoolS

So any word on any additional DRM on the Steam version? I want to support this but only if they don't have any bullshit DRM for the Steam version

zoku88

I'm... confused... How can a Ubisoft game not have DRM on it?

Anyway, I think I will buy this even though I have little interest in Rayman. Hopefully it will send a message to Ubisoft about DRM.

I'm... confused... How can a Ubisoft game not have DRM on it?

Anyway, I think I will buy this even though I have little interest in Rayman. Hopefully it will send a message to Ubisoft about DRM.

Ancel has something to tell, especially in france. Besides, he could be the number 1 reason that france co-invested the ubiframework engine.

chixdiggit

So good. I played the first few stages co-op and it's incredible.

Are all the characters basically the same with different skins?

Yaska

Stores in Finland sell this game for 25 euros, so it definately comes boxed. Might just take some time to appear some stores I guess.

jett

D-Member
My God.

This game is glorious, and looks completely unbelievable. I can see why Ubisoft made this a retail title, they simply looked at it and thought to themselves "this is too fucking good to be a downloadable game". I hope their UbiArt engine gets a lot more mileage.

epmode

The only issue I see (and it can be a big issue for some) is that digital inputs aren't working correctly. Diagonals often bring your character to a complete stop which can be pretty annoying.

You'll only notice this with keyboards and NES-style pads. Analog sticks are fine.

My God.

This game is glorious, and looks completely unbelievable. I can see why Ubisoft made this a retail title, they simply looked at it and thought to themselves "this is too fucking good to be a downloadable game". I hope their UbiArt engine gets a lot more mileage.

You'd think it would, but I can't think of anything Ubisoft are going to put out that could use it. Anvil is likely to get way more use.

Question, does Rayman have analog run? I was playing the demo on my PC to test out my PS3 controller and it feels weird to press the run button. On the PS3 demo I vaguely remember not having to. Maybe it's just me. Using motionjoy, 360 emulator profile.

thatbox

Banned
The only issue I see (and it can be a big issue for some) is that digital inputs aren't working correctly. Diagonals often bring your character to a complete stop which can be pretty annoying.

You'll only notice this with keyboards and NES-style pads. Analog sticks are fine.

This is the reason I haven't bought the game. The demo had the same problem.

Bear

You'd think it would, but I can't think of anything Ubisoft are going to put out that could use it. Anvil is likely to get way more use.

For retail games, probably, but this a great engine for 2D PSN/XBLA games. I could see it being their go-to DD engine in the future.

Knowing Ubi they'll probably squander it, but it has potential.

How Godly would that be?

They could do a lot with the engine. Even Metal Slug/Shank like action games I guess. Mosquito Levels made me want a cartoony shoot 'em up in this ASAP.

There's a lot of possibilities here. Make use of it Ubi ! Don't leave this engine to die.

Ciastek3214

When UBIArt will be open-source, we will make our own 2D platformers, and we will conquer the games industry. Mwahahahahahahahaha... ahhhhhh, I need a girlfriend.

ezodagrom

no DRM, steam?

Will buy if true.
Ubisoft, see, I'm paying for this.
It is true, no activations, no Uplay, the game can even be opened without Steam running.
Only the Retail and Steam versions are DRM free though, apparently other digital versions have DRM (the store mention Tages, but don't know anyone who got the game through those stores, no idea if in those stores it's just a one time activation or if there's activation limits).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok steam gaf how about it.
What is the final verdict?

No 1080p screens yet? or impressions of how the game runs?

Try the demo, it should run fine on any decent PC. There are 1080p screens in the screenshot thread, but the console versions ran at 1080p so it shouldn't be hard to find screens at that res anywhere.

Top Bottom