• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins Wii shows up on Amazon, complete with boxes for all versions.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Wait, wait.

There's another Rayman coming out that's being handled by Ancel, and isn't some Rabbid spin off?

...AND its 2D???

??!

WHY HAVE I NOT KNOWN ABOUT THIS?!?!? :mad:

SykoTech

Krev said:
Rabbids would kill the sales at this point.

The PS3/360 version maybe. But I think the Rabbids still seem to have a decent following on Nintendo platforms, given how Ubisoft has kept them coming on the Wii, DS, and now 3DS.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
mr jones said:
Wait, wait.

There's another Rayman coming out that's being handled by Ancel, and isn't some Rabbid spin off?

...AND its 2D???

??!

WHY HAVE I NOT KNOWN ABOUT THIS?!?!? :mad:
Dude, have you seen the trailer?

HAVE YOU SEEN THE TRAILER?

Rayman is one of my favourite PS1 titles, I have it on PSN and it still holds up well to this day.

I enjoyed Rayman 2/3 but this is always how I saw the series progressing. The boxart is sexy as hell - stay classy!

Anyone remember when Rayman 2 was planned as a 2D PS1 release? It looked awesome in the magazine screens and video that was floating around at the time, but sadly, never saw the light of day...

Lijik

Appollowexx said:
Anyone remember when Rayman 2 was planned as a 2D PS1 release? It looked awesome in the magazine screens and video that was floating around at the time, but sadly, never saw the light of day...
If you get all of the yellow lums in the PS1 version of Rayman 2, you unlock a level of the original 2d version

StevieP said:
I just did! Full of personality... but they literally aped the DKCR sillouhette levels hahah
This has been a trend long before DKCR.

SykoTech

StevieP said:
I just did! Full of personality... but they literally aped the DKCR sillouhette levels hahah

Well, Limbo came first. I'm sure there were probably more before Limbo too. And there's Outland, which just came out.

Silouhettes in side scrollers is the new thing I guess.

Bernie

Great cover, I really like the art style. Rayman looks kind of "stupid" :D

225426_201405503229633_186167361420114_468569_2132921_n.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
StevieP said:
That trailer was revealed at the same show that DKCR was first shown, so probably not.

Lijik

SykoTech said:
Silouhettes in side scrollers is the new thing I guess.
The reasoning for it in Shank might as well be the reason a lot of sidescrollers do it for a section or few these days:
By having only silhouettes, it highlights how clear and readable the poses are as a testament to the skill of the game's animators.

Its basically a cool-looking way to show off.

V_Ben

Banned
Lijik said:
Imagine what was released but with freeroaming platforming and exploration in between, and the minigames being better tied into the narrative and world.

Don't remind me :(

Boerseun

Banned
These are all the games Michel Ancel has worked on.

From Wikipedia:

Games

Pick 'n Pile (1990) – Story
Rayman (1995) – Concept & Design
Tonic Trouble (1999) – Concept
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (1999) – Concept, Art Design & Story
Rayman Arena (2001) – Concept
Rayman Rush (2002) – Concept
Beyond Good & Evil (2003) – Director, Design & Story
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (2003) – Concept & Design
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie (2005) – Designer
Rayman Raving Rabbids (2006) – Designer
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (2007) – Designer
Rayman Origins (2011) - Concept & Design
Beyond Good & Evil 2 (TBA) – Designer

Ancel worked on, but did not design, Tonic Trouble (1999), which features limbless characters in the same mould as Rayman. He shares credit on his Rayman games with Frédéric Houde, while Jacques Exertier contributed many of the cinematic and story elements of Beyond Good & Evil and King Kong.

Some people seem convinced that he wasn't involved with this game or that game, depending on whether they personally liked it or not.

Lijik

Thats misleading.
The first two rabbid games only credit him as being the designer of Rayman. Hell he has nothing to do with RR2 at all.

I have no doubt he was involved in RR1 though, a lot of the minigames were clearly from the original incarnation

Empty

Boerseun said:
These are all the games Michel Ancel has worked on.

From Wikipedia:
Some people seem convinced that he wasn't involved with this game or that game, depending on whether they personally liked it or not.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/wii/rayman-raving-rabbids__/credits

here are the credits for raving rabbids. they clearly show him only doing the character design of the rabbids and that it's based on his world, he has no design credits as he left the project when they changed it from a platformer to a minigame collection to meet the wii launch.

there's no online credits and i don't own the game to check but rabbids 2 wasn't even made in montpellier but instead paris, so i really doubt he designed that and he's never talked about working on it and nor have ubisoft.

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=38450&tab=credits

here are the credits for rayman 3. no michel ancel in design, just character concept, and you can read many interviews where he talks about not being involved with the game and how he'd design it differently.

he also has a design credit on rayman 2 that wikipedia doesn't give him and a creative director credit on king kong that isn't acknowledged in that list either.

Lijik

Theres interview that indicate the most Ancel had to do with Rayman 3 was assisting in Raymans redesign.
If i wasnt on my phone id link to them

Looks nice. I'll be pissed if this doesn't get a PC release though, since Dolphin won't do much to improve the Wii version's visuals.

something looks "off" to me. I dunno what exactly.
It's somehow visually unappealing and Rayman's new face is just plain horrible.

iamaustrian said:
It's somehow visually unappealing and Rayman's new face is just plain horrible.
Rayman has been an ugly ass character pasted into amazing environments from the get-go. Personally I find the graphics on this one to be a breath of fresh air. Outside of Vanillaware's efforts there are very few visually progressive 2D console games. Unlike a Vanillaware game this one might actually have level design that's worth a damn though.

Beautiful art! Amazing!

Hope the animation is just as fluid and good. Haven't seen the gameplay yet. Is there a trailer that shows the gameplay?

And I thought it was a downloadable game? I guess retail would be cool too if it means more meatier content.

AniHawk

Boerseun said:

he had started work on rayman 3 and shifted over to beyond good & evil pretty early on, letting other people finish it up.

then he was going to make beyond good & evil 2 and ubisoft was going to let him. somebody here posted never-before-seen artwork from around 2005 or 2006 from their time in montpellier. ubisoft instead got him working on king kong (not sure about the history on this one, but one bge postmortem i read said peter jackson wanted him to do it). afterward, he started work on rayman 4, which was going to be a 3d platformer involving rayman fighting an invasion of deranged rabbit creatures. ubisoft had him rework the game to be a wii launch title in the form of a minigame compilation. in 2007, he started work on beyond good & evil 2 again.

so rayman origins is basically the first ancel game we'll have had where it was probably all ancel's idea to begin with in eight years.

jackdoe

$49.99? That's like a 200% jump in price (assuming it was targeted at $20 when it was still download only). I hope that price isn't accurate and is just a place holder (it probably is).

jackdoe said:
$49.99? That's a 200% jump in price (assuming it was targeted at $20 when it was still download only). I hope that price isn't accurate and is just a place holder (it probably is).
Haven't they indicated they made it a retail game because people seemed to want a more robust experience out of it? I'd personally rather have a retail game with more content. Full fledged 2D games are a rarity, no need to look a gift horse in the mouth.

jackdoe

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Haven't they indicated they made it a retail game because people seemed to want a more robust experience out of it? I'd personally rather have a retail game with more content. Full fledged 2D games are a rarity, no need to look a gift horse in the mouth.
That depends on how much more funding the game gets for becoming a full fledged retail product. Because I can honestly see Ubi cheapening out.

AniHawk

jackdoe said:
$49.99? That's like a 200% jump in price (assuming it was targeted at $20 when it was still download only). I hope that price isn't accurate and is just a place holder (it probably is).

well they were going to release them as episodes before. i'd rather have a full game, myself.

jackdoe said:
That depends on how much more funding the game gets for becoming a full fledged retail product. Because I can honestly see Ubi cheapening out.

yeah, this is michel ancel and this is actual rayman.

Gagaman

jackdoe said:
Pretty sure when this was a XBLA/PSN game it was going to be episodic, so depending on how many episodes there were going to be (and assuming they'd give it similar pricing to Sonic 4 Episode 1) it may of ended up being almost $50 in total anyway.

Boerseun

Banned
iamaustrian said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll have to see it in motion on a big TV screen before making a final judgment though.

AniHawk said:
he had started work on rayman 3 and shifted over to beyond good & evil pretty early on, letting other people finish it up.

then he was going to make beyond good & evil 2 and ubisoft was going to let him. somebody here posted never-before-seen artwork from around 2005 or 2006 from their time in montpellier. ubisoft instead got him working on king kong (not sure about the history on this one, but one bge postmortem i read said peter jackson wanted him to do it). afterward, he started work on rayman 4, which was going to be a 3d platformer involving rayman fighting an invasion of deranged rabbit creatures. ubisoft had him rework the game to be a wii launch title in the form of a minigame compilation. in 2007, he started work on beyond good & evil 2 again.

so rayman origins is basically the first ancel game we'll have had where it was probably all ancel's idea to begin with in eight years.

Thanks for the information! It's appreciated.

Top Bottom