• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 is insanely well made on every level. Just terrific. And it’s boring the hell out of me.

And even in the situation you described is more about glitches in the game obviously that scenario was not intended. In Tomb raider I missed several jumps even when I CLERaRLY pushed the button. That happening a few times dose not mean the controls are “terrible” it’s an issue but the controls and input work 95% of the game. I have played ALOT of RD2 and I fail to see how the controls are “bad”. I’m not afraid to call out Rockstar at all, I have never been impressed with online from them and it looks the same for this year.

EDMIX

have you actually played games with bad controls. A glitch dose not make the entire control system “bad” I’m not making excuses what I am doing is calling out people who think they know what they are talking about without providing a compelling argument. Stop acting like everyone holds your opinion. If you are going to say the controls are objectively bad you better back it up boy. And agin, no walking slow dose not make the system objectively bad just not your personal preference to walk in cenarios that would be socially awkward in the context of real life, it’s an artistic desicion and it’s fine you don’t like it but it is not an objective “flaw” with the controls

"it’s an artistic desicion" ??? lol ok, but someone getting shot at and killed calming walking as if they have no urgency to live isn't normal, stop making excuses for that crap man lol It makes zero sense.

You know someone that has a preference for all that realism, oh but this one spot lets just make unrealistic and have him walk in a house that he is getting shot to death at? wow man.

"it’s an artistic desicion" ??? lol ok, but someone getting shot at and killed calming walking as if they have no urgency to live isn't normal, stop making excuses for that crap man lol It makes zero sense.

You know someone that has a preference for all that realism, oh but this one spot lets just make unrealistic and have him walk in a house that he is getting shot to death at? wow man.
So because this one instance happen to you at one point the control system is automatically bad? Can you honestly say that you experienced this many times consistently throughout the game? Because I sure as hell haven't along with many other reviewers.

Im not making excuses, Im making logical decisions based on my extensive experience with the game and my experience with games that actually have good and bad controls and as far as I cant tell the only thing that is objectively bad is the cover system because it dose not work 50% of the time.

Last edited:

EDMIX

So because this one instance happen to you at one point the control system is automatically bad? Can you honestly say that you experienced this many times consistently throughout the game? Because I sure as hell haven't along with many other reviewers.

"one instance"? LOL no buddy, thats the fact that it isn't "ONE" its many, many times and its clearly not just me based on this thread.

Those other reviews clearly had a reason to lie and ignore that as this isn't the only thread up about this crap, many videos online exist calling out this crap. Soooo some "reviewer" clearly has lots of reasons to pretend thats not happening so they can keep being in the good graces of RockStar.

So I'd believe myself playing it and seeing this crap over someone else review.

Last edited:
"one instance"? LOL no buddy, thats the fact that it isn't "ONE" its many, many times and its clearly not just me based on this thread.

Those other reviews clearly had a reason to lie and ignore that as this isn't the only thread up about this crap, many videos online exist calling out this crap. Soooo some "reviewer" clearly has lots of reasons to pretend thats not happening so they can keep being in the good graces of RockStar.

Ok what are the other many instances.

Can you prove that or are you just putting your conspiracy hat on?

And I have yet to see one offer good justification that the system is "objectivly bad".

EDMIX

Im not making excuses, Im making logical decisions based on my extensive experience with the game and my experience with games that actually have good and bad controls and as far as I cant tell the only thing that is objectively bad is the cover system because it dose not work 50% of the time.

So clearly me and the thread are not the only ones with this issue or feel this way. So its clear you don't want to see the issues with this game.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...lems-with-red-dead-redemption-2/#134d50215d40

https://mashable.com/article/red-dead-redemption-2-excess-waste-problem/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/200179-red-dead-redemption-2/77135299

http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-things-no-one-wants-to-admit-about-red-dead-redemption-2?page=4

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
Now that it's established people could take the engine and tweak it, play around with it to make a better game.

I'd love to see a Kung Fu game using some these mechanics. Have a guy wander all through China looking for a Kung Fu master to teach him all the while challenging other fighters and learning techniques. Imagine wandering an open world being a real drunken master.

V4skunk

Banned
I played almost 100% of the time in 1st person, thought the controls were perfect in this view.
3rd person is bad because your character can face a direction that your are not looking at. Similar to the way the cam worked while driving in gta4.
RDR2 will be perfect on pc with kb+m in first person.

Last edited:
So clearly me and the thread are not the only ones with this issue or feel this way. So its clear you don't want to see the issues with this game.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...lems-with-red-dead-redemption-2/#134d50215d40 (Offered no examples of this "bad system"

https://mashable.com/article/red-dead-redemption-2-excess-waste-problem/ (Didn't mention anything about controls)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/200179-red-dead-redemption-2/77135299 (claims to have been in a gunfight where he could only "walk" and gave no example of it happening in the game. I never exprienced this and I can't test it because he didn't give his "many examples")

http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-things-no-one-wants-to-admit-about-red-dead-redemption-2?page=4
Has one point about shooting controls and calls them slow and clumsy without actually describing HOW it is clumsy. Its all opinion about the controls, no actual arguments as to WHY its bad or any examples in combat)

My point sitll stands. People are saying its bad but nothing offering compelling reasons as to WHY its bad. I agree with slowly walling into camp 20+ hours. R* should have given the players the option but not a compelling argument for bad controls. Also the input lag mentioned is actually a legit problem so you get 1 brownie point form me :messenger_grinning: but at the same time I haven't noticed this to the level that has affected my experience with the game but then again I also don't really notice input lag unless it is REALLY bad

Last edited:
Yep played quite a bit in first person. Indoors and looting/scavenging, always. This mitigated pretty much any minor gripes i had w the control options.

EDMIX

Has one point about shooting controls and calls them slow and clumsy without actually describing HOW it is clumsy. Its all opinion about the controls, no actual arguments as to WHY its bad or any examples in combat)

My point sitll stands. People are saying its bad but nothing offering compelling reasons as to WHY its bad. I agree with slowly walling into camp 20+ hours. R* should have given the players the option but not a compelling argument for bad controls. Also the input lag mentioned is actually a legit problem so you get 1 brownie point form me :messenger_grinning: but at the same time I haven't noticed this to the level that has affected my experience with the game but then again I also don't really notice input lag unless it is REALLY bad

". I agree with slowly walling into camp 20+ hours. R* should have given the players the option" Ok, but what do you think we are talking about? lol so yes...thats kinda what we are saying.

"Also the input lag mentioned is actually a legit problem" Again yes....thats an issue I feel many have in this thread too. Are you now able to see that maybe, just maybe we are not just saying this just to say it.

So if you can see those issues yourself, I don't really get how on earth you don't get we think the controls are bad, I mean you are confirming yourself you understand the issues exist, simply understand others are more frustrated then you. It isn't a lie, we are not all just making it up. ie you are ok with those issues, but you shouldn't be debating others on a issue you KNOW exist, simply get that you are ok with it, others are not. I like and own the game, but I'm not going to go on and pretend those issues don't exist JUST because I like the game. So that becomes a issue with combat when you are trying to run through a house and he starts walking while folks kill you LOL!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Well, folks, I gave it another shot. I did like people suggested and just stuck to the main missions, and I literally fell asleep while gaming. Not the game's fault, I've had a busy week and incredibly tired, but I'm not going to force it, as well-received as this game is. I kept pushing and pushing because I didn't wanna miss out on one of the consensus games of the year, but then I thought to myself that I didn't even like the original RDR, so maybe this series just isn't for me.

I'm going to play another game, then RE2 and KH3 when they come out, and by then maybe I'll be far enough removed to jump back in and have a new appreciation for it. I've done that before plenty of times. Zelda Breath of the Wild I started off hating and came to absolutely love it. So I'll give this another chance, but I'm just not in the mood for a slow type of game right now. I'll give it another shot when I get that craving for this type of open world slower game. Hopefully in a month or so.

Last edited:
I also bought the game day 1 (actually I pre-ordered it) and played through the bulk of the missions and side stuff before even the first patch (not including the day one patch that everyone got). I've read a lot about people choking or robbing people or whatever instead of getting on their horse and not once in the game did I ever do something like that unintentionally when trying to get on my horse. And I routinely hit the wrong buttons in games all the time. So I really don't get the beef that people have with the controls being "unresponsive" or some shit. I played on base PS4. Is there some kind of glitch with Xbox versions?

Lino

Neo Member
I never played it but watching someone else play and it seemed like such a chore to play the game moves so slow and gameplay seems boring as hell
I was actually going to pick it up but I'm glad I waited, I have no interest in playing it at all

Here's an entire thread about the controls. They're trash. Objectively trash. I'll ask this of you here as well: name another reasonably well-reviewed AAA title (say 80+) from the last five years or so with worse controls than RDR2. I asked this in that thread and the only responses were The Witcher 3 and GTA. I hate TW3 controls as well, and GTA is more Rockstar control trash, duh. I honestly can't think of anything else at this level of suck. Horrible control scheme, horrible menus, horrible on foot, R* STILL the worst handling shooting in existence, horrible "stealth," etc.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Lack of shit to do online has killed my experience and drive to play it. Haven't played it in 2 weeks. Shooting mechanics and input lag are embarrassing for a AAA game in 2018.

Last edited:
Lack of shit to do online has killed my experience and drive to play it. Haven't played it in 2 weeks. Shooting mechanics and input lag are embarrassing for a AAA game in 2018.

They make games with mature themes coupled with shooting mechanics for children. Sure, you can switch to free aim and mess around with some settings. You'll never get it to feel right, though. And the fact that every mission is designed around their auto-lock whack-a-mole shooting gallery philosophy just makes free aim feel even more out of place.

Last edited:

rolandss

I think your complaints about that stuff will dissipate once you realise you don’t actually need to do any of it. Like most games you can purchase a lot of those upgrades with money you get in the game. I did a few treasure hunts, got a few thousand dollars and haven’t been hunting in the game at all. It’s like most games, if you want you can distract yourself with that stuff but it won’t stop your progression if you decide not to do it.

Here's an entire thread about the controls. They're trash. Objectively trash. I'll ask this of you here as well: name another reasonably well-reviewed AAA title (say 80+) from the last five years or so with worse controls than RDR2. I asked this in that thread and the only responses were The Witcher 3 and GTA. I hate TW3 controls as well, and GTA is more Rockstar control trash, duh. I honestly can't think of anything else at this level of suck. Horrible control scheme, horrible menus, horrible on foot, R* STILL the worst handling shooting in existence, horrible "stealth," etc.
Tw3 DID have terrible controls (mostly the camera in small spaces and the limited circle you could maneuver in was bad) but your question was already bs because the question would already assume the the controls are “bad” the most compelling argument I see is that the movement is to slow. Just because A GAME has SlOW a pace and movement DOSE NOT mean it is objectively bad. What is your personal argument? The OP was LAUGHABLE 😂 so because he failed the mini game and was confused about the buttons to use that make the controls automatically bad? I did the exact same thing he did . Same mini game same fuck up. But guess what!? I put much more time in the game and can pull off quick successive headshots and can even shot the guns out of peoples hands without killing them. I also see a lot of these same people abondinig the game very early just because they can’t get used to the multitude of actions and mechanics there are in the game. Is is perfect? Hell no. Are there other open world games with better controls, hell fucking yea but they are not objectively “terrible”.

Also the game is NOT a simulation and has LITE survival mechanics that don’t even punish you harshly. I have played games FAR more demanding of survival aspects. People just got a slow game they were not expecting left the game early and blamed it and I just don’t like people spreading false information that this is some kind of “realistic” simulation when it is not most of it all can be ignored with small consequences. If you don’t like it man that’s totally fine and I respect you but people are really over blowing the urgency of the immersive aspects of the game.

EDMIX

This. 100% agreed. TW3 is the only recent game I can think of that just had horrid controls, but got by with having a solid RPG concept, but with Red Dead 2 not having that.....you just left with a bad story and a game that feels just terrible to play. The setting, graphics and detail might be the only thing the game does extremely well. I'm ok giving a RPG a pass on feeling bad with controls as you play it more so conceptually then you do physically. Red Dead 2 can't get that pass, as it MUST feel good, you play too long and do too much to have such things feel bad. I basically stopped looting bodies as it takes a long time, the animation is so slow and the character moves like he is in zero rush ignoring he just killed someone. He legit moves like he's elderly, that is the ONLY excuse this game would have to even have it feel this way lol.

pr0cs

I can understand the controls and input lag complaints. Certainly the aiming in general is shit, R* is clearly aware of it too considering how generous the lock on is. Input lag is a side effect of the amount of transition animation the game has ,you can't have realistic movement with lots of animation without it looking like keystone cops . Certainly it's a side effect of the artistic effort put into realistic movement.
Not being able to run or ride horses in camp makes perfect sense though. You would miss the tons of side dialogue if you could blaze thru camp (the people who want to ignore the camp as much as possible are almost guaranteed to likely dislike the game). From a logistical point of view if they allowed running it would allow you to tackle the camp mates breaking the game. Similar to allowing stomping camp mates with your horse if they allowed horses in camp

I really do not wish to argue this further I just want to end on that I do think the game has issues with indoor camera control and and the spotty cover mechanics but the system as a whole in not bad in my belief just merely mediocre it has its flaws but not terrible. I hope you all try the game out again and maybe see what I see but at the end of the day we are all gamers. Now if you’ll excuse me I will play some more red dead 2 😊

EDMIX

I can understand the controls and input lag complaints. Certainly the aiming in general is shit, R* is clearly aware of it too considering how generous the lock on is. Input lag is a side effect of the amount of transition animation the game has ,you can't have realistic movement with lots of animation without it looking like keystone cops . Certainly it's a side effect of the artistic effort put into realistic movement.
Not being able to run or ride horses in camp makes perfect sense though. You would miss the tons of side dialogue if you could blaze thru camp (the people who want to ignore the camp as much as possible are almost guaranteed to likely dislike the game). From a logistical point of view if they allowed running it would allow you to tackle the camp mates breaking the game. Similar to allowing stomping camp mates with your horse if they allowed horses in camp

"Not being able to run or ride horses in camp makes perfect sense though. You would miss the tons of side dialogue" ???

Nope.

You can also miss that muting the tv or putting it on low, should Rockstar force some output to stop the volume from changing? We are all aware we are playing a damn game, if we want to hear what someone is saying ,we'd just stop and listen. There is no reason to force this on the user with a concept that is very much establishing "freedom". What about the random events you can literally ride by CHOICE? Should they FORCE you to stop to hear that too? So aim I playing a game where I control a character or watching a damn movie? Dear god, at some point they must allow for the player to actually PLAY the game, not decide how they want them moving in something that doesn't need to be forced. If I want to walk around camp, I'll do that myself, having that option isn't going to suddenly make me not want to hear any of the story, it makes even less sense when in many areas in the game the character is FORCED to walk even with being literally killed.

"Similar to allowing stomping camp mates with your horse if they allowed horses in camp" ??? What? Ummm you do know that they could just make the characters not able to be hurt right? The kids in Red Dead 2 can't be killed, (i've tried many times lol) when you shoot at them, they run and nothing touches them, I've tried with bombs too and they are unable to be hurt in the game, so what you are saying literally makes no sense as I'm sure Rockstar can allow running freely in camp as in FULL CONTROL OF YOUR CHARACTER, without allowing you to kill any and everyone at camp.

Its not an either or and I fail to see how anyone could come to that conclusion. It has no place in this game and should have always been an option.

I really do not wish to argue this further I just want to end on that I do think the game has issues with indoor camera control and and the spotty cover mechanics but the system as a whole in not bad in my belief just merely mediocre it has its flaws but not terrible. I hope you all try the game out again and maybe see what I see but at the end of the day we are all gamers. Now if you’ll excuse me I will play some more red dead 2 😊

I finished the game over a month ago. There's nothing more to "try out," It's a neat cinematic experience and great world with bad gameplay.

And I didn't link to that thread because of the OP. I don't even remember what the OP said, let alone care. I linked to it because of the many explanations of the control issues in the thread.

D3SCHA1N

I think we all expected the same pace as RDR1.

Forgot to equip your gun before leaving your horse? jokes on you. Forgot to feed your horse? Here's our 5 minute reminder, also please wash your horse next up... Hey arthur what are you doing hurry up! (Every story mission when I wander or go to slowly, trying to loot the bodies after a shoot out? HURRY UP ARTHUR.) This game is a chore and has huge pace issues.

These examples are exaggerations. I rarely feed or wash my horses and there is a little reminder once in a while that is completely unobtrusive to the game in any way, just a little blip of text in the top corner. Characters saying 'hurry up' when you are actively avoiding the advancement of the mission is some how a knock to the game's pace?

I dunno, but the issues I've seen people raise are all subjective. I personally have very little issue with the game's controls. I don't even get why they're such a huge point of contention but to me very little about them were bothersome. Once in a while I'd do something I didn't mean to, but it was usually my fault for pressing the wrong button like tapping LB and picking up a gun when I meant to open the weapon wheel, but that was my mistake...

Mattyp

Gold Member
Characters saying 'hurry up' when you are actively avoiding the advancement of the mission is some how a knock to the game's pace?

Why am I actively trying to avoid the advancement of the mission just by looting the million bad guys I just killed? Maybe if they removed the long animations of this task...

Last edited:

GenericUser

Why am I actively trying to avoid the advancement of the mission just by looting the million bad guys I just killed? Maybe if they removed the long animations of this task...
Yeah that sucked. I actively avoided looting people at some point because I thought the reward (usually a few bucks and ammo) it not worth sitting through that long ass animation.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Yeah that sucked. I actively avoided looting people at some point because I thought the reward (usually a few bucks and ammo) it not worth sitting through that long ass animation.

I wish my OCD would allow me, maybe this person has King Tuts tomb on him, oh no maybe this one? Maybe this crate? I'm the worst for it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So after seeing this staring at me in my pile of backlog games for a year now, I decided to go back to it and give it another shot. I don’t have much I want to play until March and April so I got a good month to clear it.

So, I’m enjoying it a little bit more, but man this game is still tedious.

I’m honestly stunned it’s so heavily revered. Not because it’s not a well made game. It might be the most well made game I’ve ever played. In terms of visuals, and small little things you notice like horse kicking up dirt when it runs, the horse taking a shit, it’s just a technically sound game like I’ve never played.

But where I’m shocked is I figured people would have issues with things like how fast travel isn’t seamless, how hunting and carrying animals is such a chore. Apparently no major reviewers or outlets had an issue with any of that.

I decided to go for the legendary antler trinket early because I was told it helps with perfect pelts. Thing took me over an hour total to both Hunt it and then get the carcass and pelt all the way back to a fence. And this was just one hunt. I can’t imagine what the other hunts are gonna be like. Also, I don’t think the combat is really all that great, and I know combat was never the strength of Rockstar games, but it falls pretty far behind the other things the game does so amazingly well.

So I guess I’m gonna stick with it, I just wish they didn’t make it so based in realism and gave a little leeway with the shortcuts, I don’t think that would’ve ruined the experience. Fast travel from any point, being able to store more items off the bat, being able to seamlessly transfer hunted stuff immediately to fences or trappers, etc.

And then keeping up with the stamina and your “core health” is tedious as well, I think I’m just gonna ignore it from now on, it’s not worth bothering with it frequently.

The missions have been pretty cool though and the dialogue is great.

The game has the best open world ever, shooting also feels very satisfying. the main problem is the mission design holds your hand like you are toddler, and the game doesn't encourage you to explore the stunning world. Like it would be great if they had variety of side missions where they tell you it's in that area, and you have go and actually find it yourself with clue and land marks, they only had a few missions like that with the treasure hunting which were the highlight of the game for me, that and hunting. the game would be perfect if they actually made good combat and significantly more freedom in mission design.

INC

Couldnt be bothered to finish

Controls are horrific
Walk behind people talking for 10mins all the time is boring too

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I understand that lots of people enjoy the simulation part of these games and the realism and detail of the setting, but to me, games must be about gratification. This is why I was so absorbed into Breath of the Wild - the game is mostly no-nonsense. You don't have specific, repetitive animations for picking up stuff - items are collected immediately at the push of a button, animals disappear in a puff of smoke and turn into meat as soon as they're killed, you don't have to hold a button to dismount from your horse. That's the essence of a game. Details are fine but there's times when I just want to press a button and see stuff happen, pronto.

GraveyGamer

The beginning of the game bored me to hell it actually got me to stop playing for months. But recently got back into it and it’s a pretty fun game enjoying it a lot.

GustavoLT

played on Xbox One X

I loved the graphics
I loved the gameplay
I loved the story

Best game of this gen for me!

runner ups:

Bloodborne
God of War

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i get people complaining it's boring. thing is, that's not a bad thing to me. boring is underrated. i think that a game can be both boring and enjoyable.

Red Dead Redemption is almost an ambient game. it really soaks you in the atmosphere. sometimes that's enough for me, really.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

i get people complaining it's boring. thing is, that's not a bad thing to me. boring is underrated. i think that a game can be both boring and enjoyable.

Red Dead Redemption is almost an ambient game. it really soaks you in the atmosphere. sometimes that's enough for me, really.
I think your mixing up boring with slow paced . Bored is a feeling an unpleasant one at that . Ever been in a doctors office with no one there , no tv , no windows , not even magazines?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i tried playing it at launch but gave up after about 10 hours. bought it on PC and didn't even manage 5 hours.

i can't bring myself to try again. i can't be arsed having to play through all that snowy area again with all the insane amount of handholding it does up until you get to the first camp area near Valentine.

bitbydeath

It’s a poor mans Days Gone IMO.
Most everything RDR2 does Days Gone does better.

Gameplay, story, systems like weather, AI and dynamic encounters are all massive steps up in comparison.

Mendax89

Boring and slow gameplay, boring story, slow progress, nothing to do, huge world full of nothing, no fun. Rockstar lost it's magic.

MiguelItUp

I had this problem at one point in RDR2's campaign. I pushed through it and it immediately got better for me. So glad I did too, because it became my game of the year, and one of my favorites of all time. The flow was just bizarre here and there IMO.

Top Bottom