• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 Patch 1.09 Get to the poker table Boah

Aintitcool

Banned
Rockstar now released a new patch and Sony is letting online work without PS+ until the 27th of may. The patch is mostly online features but they added new options of "Cinematic HDR" and "Game HDR". As well as put back the GI lighting effects accidently removed by path 1.03.

• New Co-Op Missions: “A Land of Opportunities” questline helps honorable players track down the murderer of Mrs. LeClerc’s husband. Outlaws perform a high-stakes theft in Saint Denis with Samson Finch.
  • From Roam Missions: More added to Bayou Nwa and the Aberdeen Pig Farm.
  • Posse Versus Challenges: Competitive fishing added alongside contests for bird shooting and herb picking.
  • Dynamic Events: Interact with travelers in the open world to get XP.
  • Poker: Available in Blackwater, Saint Denis, Tumbleweed, Valentine and Flatneck Station for private and public matches of up to six players each.
  • Overrun Showdown Mode: Claim the most land from your enemy to win.
  • Store Update: LeMat Revolver, ponchos, patterned bandanas and new emotes.
  • Play Styles
    • Offensive: Enabled by default. Allows for traditional PvP interaction with other players.
    • Defensive: Indicated by a shield icon. These players don’t want to be attacked and take less PvP damage and can’t be lassoed, meleed, executed or targeted with auto-aim. PvP Free Roam Missions are invisible to them.
  • Hostility: Hostility won’t increase for defending against an attack. Attacking players will also only be marked as a threat to the attacked player instead of everyone.
  • Balance
    • Removed auto-aim headshot tracking for enemy players only to make shooting more nuanced.
    • Faster weapon swaps and projectile throws.
    • New layout puts sprint at R1 and crouch to X.
    • Daily Challenges: PvP-related challenges removed from Free Roam with new Challenges, Rewards and Challenge Streaks.
    • Press Charges: Option increases an enemy’s Hostility and Bounty when a low-Hostility player is killed without retaliation.
    • Horses can be set as defaults for specific types of events.
    • Increased Gold payouts.

Gonna test the HDR now and see if its legit HDR now. Will edit post with my results.
Edit: HDR is still not a real HDR implementation but now you have settings to fuck it up more.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Might pick this up again if HDR is good this time around.

Also because I sold the game before finishing it.

ultrazilla

So now that they apparently "fixed" the HDR(waiting on tests here Aintitcool Aintitcool :messenger_beaming:
that can only mean they're finishing up the PC port for a surprise E3 release. You can take that to the bank.
Maybe

Aintitcool

Banned
I assume "Cinematic HDR" is the old "not HDR at all" mode and "Game HDR" is the "whupz, actual HDR now" option. But let us know!
Trying now to calibrate the HDR mode on my TV(LG OLED E6). The cinematic mode seems like the better option if you need HDR but HDR game mode is more of a joke than I have ever witnessed. It is like lying to you. It also removes red hues and converts them to orange. Ruining skin tones on every white character and no settings from the lowest extremes or highest fix this.

Don't get your hopes up HDR is not real at all still and probably never will be because if they can't patch in real HDR into the engine this late in the stage. It needs to be completely reworked from the ground up. They just now give you more options to screw the image up and no HDR still looks far superior, in color image quality.

Edit: For some reason resetera thinks the HDR patch is good. but it really isn't.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Trying now to calibrate the HDR mode on my TV(LG OLED E6). The cinematic mode seems like the better option if you need HDR but HDR game mode is more of a joke than I have ever witnessed. It is like lying to you. It also removes red hues and converts them to orange. Ruining skin tones on every white character and no settings from the lowest extremes or highest fix this.

Don't get your hopes up HDR is not real at all still and probably never will be because if they can't patch in real HDR into the engine this late in the stage. It needs to be completely reworked from the ground up. They just now give you more options to screw the image up and no HDR still looks far superior, in color image quality.

Welp! That sucks.

They can't fix the HDR if the engine was built from the ground up with scuffed HDR.

GTA6 is not gonna have proper HDR he he

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
7 months to fix this damn HDR :pie_thinking: but still no improvement of the checkerboard rendering on PS4 Pro for a better IQ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

D6iycOuW4AEyZeo.jpg

D6iycOnWwAEumWq.jpg

D6iycOoW4AIO-FW.jpg

Last edited:

Edit: For some reason resetera thinks the HDR patch is good. but it really isn't.
It seems to work fine for me, and is actually working correctly with not only proper light calculations and contrast but proper color depth. Sounds like you need to do some more calibrating.

What a horrible thread title for a huge update of one of the greatest games of this entire generation. Do this game justice, people!

One of the greatest games of the entire generation with some of the worst gameplay of the entire generation describes exactly what is wrong with highly acclaimed current gen games from so called modern "gamers".

As long as there's interesting characters and dialog who gives a shit if the actual game part is a dumpster fire, right?

Congrats on getting online poker 7 months after launch though. Have fun watching the same slow ass animations play out over, and over, and over, and over again, but online with loading and matchmaking for extra waiting.

Why is Rockstar's garbage so popular? Do people not know there are other games? Like literally anything else? I guess I don't understand people that like cutting themselves but I never would have thought masochism to extend to the game industry.

One of the greatest games of the entire generation with some of the worst gameplay of the entire generation describes exactly what is wrong with highly acclaimed current gen games from so called modern "gamers".

As long as there's interesting characters and dialog who gives a shit if the actual game part is a dumpster fire, right?

Congrats on getting online poker 7 months after launch though. Have fun watching the same slow ass animations play out over, and over, and over, and over again, but online with loading and matchmaking for extra waiting.

Why is Rockstar's garbage so popular? Do people not know there are other games? Like literally anything else? I guess I don't understand people that like cutting themselves but I never would have thought masochism to extend to the game industry.

The only thing that's GlassAwful is your opinion on Rockstar Games.

The only thing that's GlassAwful is your opinion on Rockstar Games.
You are probably right.

It frustrates me when I perceive them to fall short in areas I care about because I recognize them as one of the few big devs in the industry capable of pushing the envelope.

They are unquestionably pushing the tech and art envelopes, and with RDR2 they pushed more into serious story telling and attempted more hardcore game mechanics which I appreciate but at the same time see some mind boggling design decisions implemented, some poorly. Also I lament their storytelling increasingly getting in the way of emergent gameplay by making their games more linear. Their microtransaction heavy multiplayer doesn't help my perception of them either.

These are my excuses, at least, for lashing out at Rockstar and this game's reception. Maybe I'm wrong like you say and should get back on my meds like a good boy.

Rayderism

The "magic" trick on the PS4 Pro for the blurry video is to set your system to only output in 1080p for this game. Not only will this improve image quality 10-fold (despite the lower res, no more smeared look and it looks damn sharp), but it also will run at a rock solid 30fps and the console fan NEVER goes into hairdryer mode. HDR be damned.

The "magic" trick on the PS4 Pro for the blurry video is to set your system to only output in 1080p for this game. Not only will this improve image quality 10-fold (despite the lower res, no more smeared look and it looks damn sharp), but it also will run at a rock solid 30fps and the console fan NEVER goes into hairdryer mode. HDR be damned.
That is such a horrible concession to make for a game like this... Thank god I own an X as well.

They finally fixed the AO/GI.
Was this a PS4 only thing? Some people said it was but I never got information about the Xbox side of things.

Aintitcool

Banned
It seems to work fine for me, and is actually working correctly with not only proper light calculations and contrast but proper color depth. Sounds like you need to do some more calibrating.
Do have have a Samsung TV or a Oled? Try switching back to HDR off to see the real contrast ratio of colours.

Last edited:
Do have have a Samsung TV or a Oled? Try switching back to HDR off to see the real contrast ratio of colours.
I have a KS8000 which was professionally calibrated, I'm also playing on an Xbox One X and it appears that you're on a PS4 Pro so there might be some dissension between the builds visual makeup, colors, gamma, system output etc.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
I have a KS8000 which was professionally calibrated, I'm also playing on an Xbox One X and it appears that you're on a PS4 Pro so there might be some dissension between the builds visual makeup, colors, gamma, system output etc.
The consoles are unlikely to make a difference but this HDR mode might be made to prefer LCD/QLED screens if thats what rockstar used inhouse to calibrate. But I am an Art Degree Bachelors and colours mean everything to me. To the point that colour theory needs to be applied to my games for me to enjoy them. And this HDR mode is not it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is such a horrible concession to make for a game like this... Thank god I own an X as well.

Was this a PS4 only thing? Some people said it was but I never got information about the Xbox side of things.

It impacted all console models (PS4/Pro, XboxOne/X).

It appears to be fixed on them now according to those who were running the Twitter campaigns on the issue.

From the patch notes on both consoles.

Quality improvements and performance optimizations have been made to ambient occlusion in order to match the on-disc version of the game (1.00). Lighting changes were originally made in the Day One Patch (1.02) to prevent framerate issues.

Last edited:
Played a little online yesterday. I like the changes to the open world, but it's not really drawing me in like GTAO did.
However, I really like the sound of the role stuff that they're going to introduce this summer. Seems like Rockstar's been taking notes from GTA RP!

Ozrimandias

Red Dead Redemption a dumpster Fire....
Why Rockstar Garbage is so popular.....

You misparage "gamers" who like this game......
Let me tell you something, i been gaming since 1987. Ive played a TONS of different games, games that problably you didnt know or didnt play yeeeears after, ive played Chrono Trigger at Launch, FFVI at launch, Ocarina of Time at Launch among other hidden games.....and boy i tell you. Red Dead is a good game, the fact that you dont like and others do, doesnt make a difference.

The consoles are unlikely to make a difference but this HDR mode might be made to prefer LCD/QLED screens if thats what rockstar used inhouse to calibrate. But I am an Art Degree Bachelors and colours mean everything to me. To the point that colour theory needs to be applied to my games for me to enjoy them. And this HDR mode is not it.
No offense but I don't think some degree and an authoritarian fallacy without analysis invalidates what I'm seeing the results of. Care to share some images? I know they won't be "HDR" as an image but you can still make out the residuals from what it does regardless.

To me everything looks perfect, it's not washed out any longer and colors are accurate, black levels are no longer artificially raised, skin tone is accurate, highlights stand out etc.

This is the old "HDR"

31717217778_2ab2308eda_o.png

44675362465_73ff2f7605_o.png

44675357215_a399192ccc_o.png

43771784690_f6474c4068_o.png

This is the new HDR

32914561027_3ecaa980fc_o.png

47858890731_802d948f7b_o.png

32914562347_8f18b7be1e_o.png

47806509492_e8f6d1842a_o.png

47858893731_b275dd5d25_o.png

40892275233_287eef246d_o.png

Mista

Banned
Downloaded it but definitely not wasting my time with the boring online. I'd rather play GTO than this

Hinedorf

Banned

I totally respect your opinion to dislike the game for the reasons you gave though I do disagree with them. If RDR2 is such a horrible game, by comparison which game/s of this generation are you impressed by or truly believe deserve the credit RDR2 is getting?

JimmyJones

Banned

Good post! Couldn't agree more. RDR2 looks AMAZING, but it is a SHIT game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No offense but I don't think some degree and an authoritarian fallacy without analysis invalidates what I'm seeing the results of. Care to share some images? I know they won't be "HDR" as an image but you can still make out the residuals from what it does regardless.

To me everything looks perfect, it's not washed out any longer and colors are accurate, black levels are no longer artificially raised, skin tone is accurate, highlights stand out etc.

This is the old "HDR"

This is the new HDR

And best of all, AO is back that enhances it even more.

Games like AssCreed look so flat in comparison to this one and others that utilize it far better.

GenericUser

My dream would be a "hard mode" or a "survival mode" where you have to sleep and eat and whatnot. There are so many mechanics in the game that are more or less meaningless because the game is way too easy. I would really like to replay the game on a harder difficulty. Rockstar needs some miyazaki like gameplay designer that knows how to put actual gameplay into their games. .

Gonna try out the HDR myself, I was one of the few that thought that the HDR was better then the non-HDR image in the base version, so I'm gonna see how they improved it.

My dream would be a "hard mode" or a "survival mode" where you have to sleep and eat and whatnot. There are so many mechanics in the game that are more or less meaningless because the game is way too easy. I would really like to replay the game on a harder difficulty. Rockstar needs some miyazaki like gameplay designer that knows how to put actual gameplay into their games. .

Gonna try out the HDR myself, I was one of the few that thought that the HDR was better then the non-HDR image in the base version, so I'm gonna see how they improved it.
Play the game knife and machete only.

Done, and done.

GenericUser

Play the game knife and machete only.

Done, and done.

Nah, that's not the point. I don't want the shooting to be harder or the combat, I want that all the systems that Rockstar included in the game (like hunting) have a meaningful impact on the game. In the base game, hunting is like an addition but not a core element. If you do it, or not doesn't really affect how hard the game is, you don't get any really meaningful advantages by hunting. I would like to see that changed. Same for fishin, base camping, picking herbs and flowers, trading and so on. The world is there, but wether or not you partake in all these "side activities" or not, doesn't really affect your progress in the game. I want to immerse myself in this beautiful world and not do the side activities to fill up progress bars in the game's submenu.

Last edited:
There's options for this? Where?

Aintitcool

Banned

This is the old "HDR"

This is the new HDR

The fact that you think HDR can be displayed via screenshots already proves you don't know what HDR is and Does. The engine has no meta data above 500nitts. And the Black is raised by your choice of "PaperWhite" and it shifts the whole colours of as intended by the developers.

The fact that you think HDR can be displayed via screenshots already proves you don't know what HDR is and Does. The engine has no meta data above 500nitts. And the Black is raised by your choice of "PaperWhite" and it shifts the whole colours of as intended by the developers.
Give me a break you crackpot. There's a glaring difference in the before and after that you can absolutely see.

As I said... "I know they won't be "HDR" as an image but you can still make out the residuals from what it does regardless."

You can see where highlights stand out where it was previously an image wide gamma shift, you can see a stark increase in color reproduction, you can see how contrast is altered and how it settles differently against light.

You can't see HDR itself but you can for a fact make out residual effects of it being in place.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Yet there's a glaring difference in the before and after that you can absolutely see.

As I said... "I know they won't be "HDR" as an image but you can still make out the residuals from what it does regardless."
No I can't because my PC monitor is 8bit. I wrote a research paper on HDR want to read it?

No I can't because my PC monitor is 8bit. I wrote a research paper on HDR want to read it?
Humor me then, explain to all of us why the above images are drastically different in appearance from the ones on the bottom in color reproduction, defined highlights and contrast adjustment which results in a lack of image wide gamma shift. Also you specifically said that skin tone was way off, and it's clearly not.

Hell, EvilBoris posted this, you gonna argue with him too? Weird that with an 8-bit monitor the difference here is extremely obvious as well. Who are you trying to fool with your authoritarian BS as if you're some HDR scientist lol? Clown shoes bro, clown shoes.

0RAvT0g.jpg

B9VeL9c.jpg

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Humor me then, explain to all of us why the above images are drastically different in appearance from the ones on the bottom in color reproduction, defined highlights and contrast adjustment which results in a lack of image wide gamma shift.

Also you specifically said that skin tone was way off, and it's clearly not.
Anything above paper white 120 on my TV shifts the intended skin tones. I can take screen shots with my cellphone and show the differences like that but since you have an LCD tv without true black and less contrast ratio than mine your results will differ like I mentioned earlier.

On your new HDR screen shots if you look at the grass you will see how it's no longer the green its suppose to be and has a grey tone to it. If you look at the farmhouse at your top screenshot you can see the wood red is also displaying an incorrect tone that is perfect in SDR.

Basically if you want to play the game as the devs intended turning off HDR is just necessary. This HDR mode is a slap on effect that invents metadata. You're being very selective with your screenshots finding highlights.

The HDR mode rockstar makes ruins the red colour quality the most. You can notice it imminently just looking at the game menu red after you turn on HDR. It stops being red and becomes more Rosa. But I digress. If you enjoy it. Enjoy it. I don't and it probably comes from hoping for a true HDR solution instead of this late stage added fix.

You're argueing the new HDR mode is better. I'm not disagreeing with that.The argument is suppose to be HDR is better than SDR though.
Hell, EvilBoris posted this, you gonna argue with him too? Weird that with an 8-bit monitor the difference here is extremely obvious as well. Who are you trying to fool with your authoritarian BS as if you're some HDR scientist lol? Clown shoes bro, clown shoes.
Hell even evilboris has no comment? I'm not an HDR scientist but I am an Art Major who wrote an essay on the field. What have you ever done and worked with digital colour accuracy? It's my field to know accurate colour representation. The clown is you.

Posting screenshots of differences with no explanation you sure you know anything?

Last edited:

Burger

I think you are talking absolute nonsense. You might be an art major and you may have written an essay (yes I would like to read it) but I think you might also be on crack.

Firstly, what display are you using to see above 500nits? I'm unaware of any domestic displays capable of a full window at 500n.

Secondly, I work in post production, we do HDR work on reference level displays, grading log footage into various colourspaces. Just because there is more range available doesn't necessarily mean it has to be used in any particular fashion - that being a creative choice as opposed to a technical one.

I grant that Rockstars initial HDR implementation was technically poor. However that appears to be resolved, as they mention in the game highlights are no longer clipped out. Being an art major does not permit you to say their creative look is incorrect however.

Aintitcool

Banned
I think you are talking absolute nonsense. You might be an art major and you may have written an essay (yes I would like to read it) but I think you might also be on crack.

Firstly, what display are you using to see above 500nits? I'm unaware of any domestic displays capable of a full window at 500n.

Secondly, I work in post production, we do HDR work on reference level displays, grading log footage into various colourspaces. Just because there is more range available doesn't necessarily mean it has to be used in any particular fashion - that being a creative choice as opposed to a technical one.

I grant that Rockstars initial HDR implementation was technically poor. However that appears to be resolved, as they mention in the game highlights are no longer clipped out. Being an art major does not permit you to say their creative look is incorrect however.
Computer displays are in the 256 8bit colour space. My tv is a Oled 55 E6 that I use to test my HDR works. IN SIMULATION OF LIGHTING(Like videogames) it is no longer a creative choice but a system that simulates how colours are suppose to be graded from 0-1000(HDR10). In this game when you turn of HDR you can see the intended colours by the developer.

Here you go I also grade movies in HDR.

https://github.com/igarrison/HDRWebVideoCreatorsGuide (Might help you at work if you think I'm talking crack)

Please don't say an art major doesn't understand how colour is suppose to look.You don't ask colour blind people to colour correct your video files do you? My degree is about Art and implementation of things like colour theory.

If you guys want to play the screenshot games just look at this comparison from someone on resetera.

SDR sky
VHwZzvw.jpg

HDR
rj9dXDL.jpg

Notice how the top left of the sky is no longer blue but now even gray? That's a failure of the engine and not an artistic choice.

Again I waiting for someone to try and discuss HDR but nobody here seems to know WTF it is suppose to do. A true HDR implementation like in Uncharted 4 or Horizon or Destiny2 does not lose colours or black levels but increases them and their quality.

Last edited:

Winter John

Downloaded it to see what's changed online. It's still pretty much the same boring shit that was there the last time. I loved the single player but the mp is a real disapointment. I guess I'll try it again next year

Top Bottom