• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 : The FOMO on interesting campfire (back) stories

Stafford

I doubt I am the only one who wants to have seen, heard, experienced everything this game has to offer, right? Knowing that this developer has put in some crazy attention to detail, which I adore. I love the whole camp thing, everyone having a story of their own to tell. And at first after each story or side mission I went back to the camp just in time before people start to sit around the campfire and listening to their stories.

Sometimes they have real cool stuff to talk about, stuff about their past, other times not much and they go to sleep. But just now randomly after a mission I decided to go to the campfire and here was Charles talking about his father, , and just a lot of back story I really don't want to miss out on. The problem is, there's no telling exactly when crew members will talk about their past. I do have fast travel now, so it should be easier to travel to camp just in case a member decides to tell more about their story, but for me this is definitely what you could call a FOMO.

In other games this would be explained in a compendium or biographies screen, here it all happens in real time, which is beautiful but for a player like me can big a problem too, haha. I'm sure I'm not the only one, how did you go about handling this? Because after all, we, the player know very little about the other members at the start of the game and this IS a way to learn more about them. But since it's not directly towards the main player but just general talk in the camp it's a bit tricky to hear it all.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
In my playthrough I try to listen to their talks as much as possible but not obsessively.

If I ever need to hear everything they have to say, I have Youtube for that.

It feels more natural this way without interrupting my time hunting and skinning stuff for those damn clothes and pouches.

Last edited:

Catphish

The game is a masterpiece, and what you've mentioned here is just one of the reasons why.

I really wish they'd do more with it. It's a shame they've abandoned it.

Last edited:

Stafford

In my playthrough I try to listen to their talks as much as possible but not obsessively.

If I ever need to hear everything they have to say, I have Youtube for that.

It feels more natural this way without interrupting my time hunting and skinning stuff for those damn clothes and pouches.

That's actually not a bad idea. YouTube very likely has a video with all the talks by the camp members. I just don't dare search for anything RDR2 there though. Spoiler galore.

The game is a masterpiece, and what you've mentioned here is just one of the reasons why.

I really wish they'd do more with it. It's a shame they've abandoned it.

I want to hope they haven't lost this magic and it will be in GTA VI too, when that comes out around the time we're all old and grey, that is. 😜

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Most of the stuff they talk about is random but sometimes chapter specific. There's no guarantee some of the dialogue will ever pop up in a single play through so don't sweat it - it's not meant to be 100%ed.

The best thing you can do is just return to camp often and interact with everything. Do chores for stat bonuses, talk to people etc. Even then you're still going to miss stuff because there's a huge amount of dialogue and it won't all be generated in one play through.

That said, whenever there's a party, don't go to bed until everyone else has or you will miss some really cool stuff. That's the only exception tho.

Don't sweat it man, just play the game organically.

Stafford

Most of the stuff they talk about is random but sometimes chapter specific. There's no guarantee some of the dialogue will ever pop up in a single play through so don't sweat it - it's not meant to be 100%ed.

The best thing you can do is just return to camp often and interact with everything. Do chores for stat bonuses, talk to people etc. Even then you're still going to miss stuff because there's a huge amount of dialogue and it won't all be generated in one play through.

That said, whenever there's a party, don't go to bed until everyone else has or you will miss some really cool stuff. That's the only exception tho.

Don't sweat it man, just play the game organically.

Yeah the whole camp vibe is fantastic. The other day they threw a party (after a certain mission) and the vibe was just awesome. I just had Arthur sit down and sing along with the tunes, lmao. Brilliant.

At first I truly went back to camp before dinner every time to hear what they would talk about, that sometimes meant I had to quit a hunt too. That's just crazy though and I've quit doing that, otherwise I will never finish this. 😂

Trilobit

I tried to not see and hear everything the game had to offer. I liked to play more organically, sometimes going to sleep while the gang were talking or singing by the fire.

I don't often use the word masterpiece, and RDR2 has many things that could be improved upon, but this game is a masterpiece when I accept what it's not. It's unlike anything I've ever played and the fact that we got a Wild West game with this kind of budget and love poured into is incredible.

Tahiti!

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The FOMO is the point, brahhhh. They put so much content in an effort to approximate real-life. You can't experience it all, so enjoy what you can. Like life!

Kuranghi

This game is my biggest disappointment in gaming by far, I just didn't have a good time more than half the time I was playing.

I love RDR 1 so much, amazing game, I could replay the whole thing any time, I have 100%'d it three (3) times. I'm going to try again with 2 on PC or whenever it gets a remaster but would need to be the latter to have QoL changes to solve the issues I had with it, namely: the controls, the way hunting works and the law system. On PC I could mod it to remove the law/witness system, make hunting simpler and running it at a higher framerate could help with the animation lag + customise the controls how I want them possibly.

I was having a really great time a lot but things just kept happening that soured me on it, over and over. I didn't even get that far into the game story-wise at all because I like doing world stuff, hunting and stranger missions. So I've not even seen 90% of the game. I really loved treasure map hunting, was so satisfying climbing up that small mesa in the first area and jumping round the edge of it to get to the gold bar chest,.

I tried to hunt a legendary animal for an real-life hour but it wouldn't spawn due to some bugged enemy camp, I kept hurting/killing people by running past or over them (guy crouched down, working on a house), then getting in 30 min long loops of hiding from the law. I would kill someone and then a witness would run and tell the law and come after me or I'd get in a escalating loop of killing witnesses.

I REALLY tried to like the game and put up with it because the animations, variety of missions, performances, world design and sense of place is unmatched outside of a handful of games total in all of gaming.

Sorry to be a downer but I write this in hopes that someone just tells me some magic solution to all these problems and I can boot it up and enjoy it fully without those barriers, wishful thinking lol.

One of the best parts about what is one of the best games ever made, countless unique conversations, character development, one-off animations, the attention to detail is staggering and I think most players missed out on this stuff by not spending much - if any - time in camps.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I totally hear you, loved every second of it even though the campaign took me almost 300 hours to beat. At one point I remember playing for a full weekend straight not doing a single story mission, just side stuff and fucking around, interacting with the world, hanging out with the gang and exploring.

Top Bottom