• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE 7 vs RE 2 Remake. Which patch the next Resident Evil game should follow?

RE7 vs RE2R

• Total voters

Airbus Jr

Banned
Both are a great and sucesfull game on their own way

Which one are the better game in your opinion?

Which path the next resident game should follow?

Resident Evil 7

images

Resident Evil 2 Remake

images

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I've only recently started the RE series, and haven't gotten to any newer entries yet, but I rather like the idea of the next two numbered entries remaining first-person. RE1-3 use fixed perspective, RE4-6 are third-person, let's get ourselves a trilogy with RE7-9 in first-person. After that they'll have to think up the unthinkable for RE10.

The Shepard

I'd like both, re7 was excellent in vr and re2 was an excellent remake. Re3make is next I'm guessing after the success of 2 remake and maybe 8 will be first person again. I'd also like a proper sequel to 4 because after replaying it recently I realised just how good it was even after all these years, 5 and 6 don't count, there not on the same level.

RE7 because of its fps was way more scarier. I hope it continues that direction as it was a great new look for the game that worked perfectly.

I was amazed at how well the series formula translated into a fps game. I was similarly amazed when Retro did it with Metroid Prime.
Judging by the sales figures I'd say there's room for both.

Skyfox

I don’t mind the first person view but re7 is my most disliked (apart from Operation Racoon city) because I didn’t like the enemies.

Resident evil 2 remake will probably be the pinnacle of the series.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
RE7 is a fantastic VR game, probably the best one made.
But I don't consider it a Resident Evil game.
It's like Marvel MCU vs Netflix Marvel TV show.
RE2Remake on the other hand feels like an evolution of the original series.
It succeeds where RE4, 5, 6 failed.
At first glance you would think it was another RE4 type shooter but it has RE2 heart beating at its core.

Doom85

Maybe they'd have more success with 8, but I didn't get attached to Ethan in 7 at all and the first-person perspective didn't help, it can work like with Booker in Bioshock Infinite but it didn't here (granted, I didn't care for Mia either, but all the Bakers were great). I did care about Leon and Claire in RE2R, granted it helps they're technically established characters but also just being able to see them move around and talk to characters helped.

Also, aiming felt more tricky in RE2R but like in a meaningful way to build the tension. So yeah, while 7 is great, I'm totally hoping 8 will be like RE2R. Granted, I'm also praying for RE3R and Revelations 3.

xrnzaaas

Dino Crisis and then RE3 Remake. I was very sceptical about RE7 and I was surprised to enjoy the game when it finally came out, but RE2 was way better. Remaking Capcom's other survival horrors the same way is definitely the way to go.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe they'd have more success with 8, but I didn't get attached to Ethan in 7 at all and the first-person perspective didn't help, it can work like with Booker in Bioshock Infinite but it didn't here (granted, I didn't care for Mia either, but all the Bakers were great). I did care about Leon and Claire in RE2R, granted it helps they're technically established characters but also just being able to see them move around and talk to characters helped.

Also, aiming felt more tricky in RE2R but like in a meaningful way to build the tension. So yeah, while 7 is great, I'm totally hoping 8 will be like RE2R. Granted, I'm also praying for RE3R and Revelations 3.
This my biggest reason why I personally find third person more immersive and scary in horror games. In order for me to get scared I need to care about the character, I need to see him moving in my games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
RE7 is just a better game than RE2R. Sorry, but the remake was a beautifully crafted one-trick pony. It got old, real fast.

Well, I'm probably a bigger old-school Resident Evil fan, so I be a bit biased. RE1 is in my top three all-time favorite games.
Yes, specially the gamecube remake at the time.
RE7 was awful so I'll go with RE2 which was a pretty good, yet still flawed, remake. It's a far better foundation for more RE titles.
It was horrible but we are talking about gameplay style (fps,tps) both are interesting in horror games.

checkcola

RE7 is going to be an odd duck as time goes on. I can't imagine them keeping the first person spooker look. People want to see the characters. The RE series has some very good legacy characters. Its part of the appeal.

MrJTeera

I would love to see another first-person take for the series. REmake 2 doesn’t do the RE Engine justice. The environmental details in 7 had more to look at than the empty office desk in 2.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The poll results clearly speak differently

And Bieber sells millions... that don't mean anything to me either.

The fact is that RE2R is a game that is so constrained by its minimal mechanics and limited in scope that all it ever offers past the initial playthrough is speed-running. The gameplay never evolves because there's nowhere for it to go.#

Its a dead-end. Not an evolutionary path.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
And Bieber sells millions... that don't mean anything to me either.

The fact is that RE2R is a game that is so constrained by its minimal mechanics and limited in scope that all it ever offers past the initial playthrough is speed-running. The gameplay never evolves because there's nowhere for it to go.#

Its a dead-end. Not an evolutionary path.

That was probably by design. The same can be said about the original and that's what hardcore players want. The only way this remake exists is precisely because Capcom budgeted it to spec and only built the absolute necessary.

Aggelos

It more or less will depend on what these guys decide to be the best for the future of the series

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Neither of them. I rather stick with the classic ones, taking the remake of RE1 as an example.

Would be good if have "Neither" in the poll though.

Neff

I want them to have another crack at first person/VR.

As good as RE7 was, it wasn't all it could have been. I don't think we've had the definitive RE experience in first person yet. Also, Capcom themselves have reiterated often that the numbered series is where they prefer to break ground, and RE7 still feels fresher than RE2 did, despite RE2 being the superior title overall.

A beefier RE7 with more locales, more enemy types, a more interesting hero, and writing on par with RE2 would make for a fantastic VR experience.

I think they should stick with first person for 8, and remake 3 in the same vein as 2.

No idea how 9 and 10 should go, 4,5,6 could be remade in first person i guess. And 1 and 0 like remake2

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping that RE 8 is following REmake2 because it's simply fucking better. Don't want RE 8 to be in first person because the field of view sucks, any atmosphere or immersion is due to the perspective as opposed to the game itself and any "scares" is only due to the camera perspective being in first person which is a lot easier to pull off but that doesn't make it better. REmake2 is fucking awesome and became my favorite game in the franchise. It's what RE should be in my opinion. The Evil Within 1 and 2 showed that it can be done and with it being Capcom, can easily be on a higher level ala REmake2. So im very much hoping that RE 8 follows REmake2 instead of RE 7 because I simply prefer and believe that REmake2 is the far better game. It was great from start to finish. RE 7 fell off once you get to the point of having to "make the choice" between the two characters. All downhill from there. So yeah, definitely want RE 8 to follow REmake2 in every aspect.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Happy to see RE2R leading right now

Thats the real resident evil game for me

No ofense to people voting RE7 but that game doesnt feel RE to me more like Outlast or something like that

I also dont feel any connection at all to Ethan (perhaps because of the first person view or how they narate the story)

He looks like any average joe that can be replaced by anybody and we wont even feel any difference

Leon and Claire in RE2R on the other hands fill the game with so much personality and made themselves inseperable

Last edited:
Great question. Personally, I feel that third person is more unique and interesting for Resident Evil and the survival horror genre. So I hope to see Resident Evil 8 and Revelations 3 stick with it. However, it wouldn't really work if they decide to make another entry compatible with PSVR and I am still interested to see more proper VR games as well.

Last edited:

Griffon

RE7 and RE2 are both excellent. But people seem to prefer the third person view, so I think Capcom will want to keep that view-point.

For me it doesn't matter, I'm happy either way.

I liked 7 as a stand alone horror, but outside it VR I hated it being first person, and it just never felt properly like Resident Evil to me.

REmake 2 however was brilliant. Give me REmake 3 and more like it and I'll be happy as a pig in muck.

Ideally though, I want more of both and a Revelations 3 with more glorious co-op. Best of all worlds.

Gargus

Banned
I'd like another new resident evil in the same vein as 7, only without the God awful final 30 minutes please, that ruined everything previous to it for me.

And I want more remakes like re3, code veronica and 4.

I cant pick just one.

Top Bottom