• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Re-release of past gens games as Switch cartridges aside VC release.Why not?

B_Signal

They did something similar on the GBA.

I know Nintendo die-hards are happy to pay stupid amounts for the same old nes roms (so I'm surprised Nintendo haven't done it), but the cost seems like a problem

TannerDemoz

Another "man, Nintendo should do this really niche thing that doesn't make any sense from a business perspective, yes?" thread.

Last edited:

120v

even if they could be fussed with this type of thing it'd end in copies of SMB3 or whatever going for like $100 on ebay and everybody would whine about how nintendo just doesn't care

Zaffo

Can't understand people caring for phisical switch games, i get old game cartridge those big old things had a vintage charms, but switch games are just little sd cards with a postage stamp sticker on it.

Vawn

Banned
If they make a Switch physical release, they'll raise the price by $10. This usually effects both physical and digital versions, as they don't want to piss off retailers.

TannerDemoz

sincerly your words instead are like those that said " product XX of nintendo is too niche to sell"
XX = arrayof(amiibo, wiifit, nes mini, amiibo cards(amiibo card numbers are incredible), ect, ect )

like for example :

we know how it ended...
on a businness point of view amiibo/skylander ect showed already that link dlc on real object is still a possible way of profit.
also consider that old games collections are selling constant numbers on any console each generation.
retrogaming is a huge subcategory of gamers and it's big numbers,
VC after peaked on wii is a bit on stall now and this could move some nice numbers is well done.

All of the things you quoted weren't 'niche,' they were good, feasible ideas. This is. It'd be cool if they could license this to a third party to do, but this doesn't make sense from a business perspective because 1) it'd be a ballache putting these things into production; 2) any price nessecary to justify the means of production of putting a cheap rom onto a switch cartridge would directly oppose whatever they're planning to do with their back catalogue in the future (If I can buy a mini XXXX why the hell would I spend $15/20 on a single game.)

I don't think it's feasible, but it is a cool idea.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that you will pay for the box and get a digital code. If is like US $10 for a Game Cube game, sure. N64, well... SNES and NES no.

TannerDemoz

your points are good but:
1)
take vc rom, burn into a cart.
instead of normal case use a custom case and print some old manual.
what is difficult in this?
2)
Mini consoles are not connected to internet,
VC games now are different, officially they are not even called VC games anymore too, it's a subscription system, there would be a plus on having the possibility to buy only the classics games you want and having all the new features...

I would also love a "classic nintendo box" with subscription only for playing all old gen games from nes to n64 and wireless pad replicas too, another "niche" product maybe .

1) It's not difficult - it'd be expensive to do and hard to justify with a nessecary price tag.

2) that's a good point. I was actually thinking the mini consoles should have online, come with a base set of games, and then the virtual consoles have an online store you can buy future roms for.

Great idea at one condition: that the game have a single encrypted code that adds the game to your personal persistent Nintendo virtual library/collection...

...Oh that's right, unlike Steam, EA, Xbox or Sony, Nintendo is so fucking creepy greedy that they don't have that and ask you to buy 3 times the same 25 year old games at a ridiculous price for each console you have...

A definite NO for me as a collector.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Great idea at one condition: that the game have a single encrypted code that adds the game to your personal persistent Nintendo virtual library/collection...

...Oh that's right, unlike Steam, EA, Xbox or Sony, Nintendo is so fucking creepy greedy that they don't have that and ask you to buy 3 times the same 25 year old games at a ridiculous price for each console you have...

A definite NO for me as a collector.

I don't think any of the console manufacturers give you a digital copy with physical games.

JimboJones

Ever heard of Steam FFS?

Also I have the same persistent library since PS3 to PS4, probably the same on Xbox.
Steam isn't a console manufacturer last time i checked.

Not sure how your library persisted from PS3 to PS4, unless your counting a small selection of cross play titles or something.
Or are you just happy that they are part of your account but you can't play them on PS4? Wow what a victory, look at all these games I own that I can't play.

Nintendo allowed backwards compatibility with GC to Wii
Wii to WiiU (including digital purchases)

Same with their handheld line up.
All the consoles are spotty with their backwards compatibility. Even MS which is doing a good job of it this gen still doesn't cover every game.

Thats all beside the point though, none of them include digital games with physical copies which is what the original post seemed to have issue with.

Last edited:
Steam isn't a console manufacturer last time i checked.

Not sure how your library persisted from PS3 to PS4, unless your counting a small selection of cross play titles or something.
Or are you just happy that they are apart of your account but you can't play them on PS4? Wow what a victory, look at all these games I own that I can't play.

Nintendo allowed backwards compatibility with GC to Wii
Wii to WiiU (including digital purchases)

Same with their handheld line up.
All the consoles are spotty with their backwards compatibility. Even MS which is doing a good job of it this gen still doesn't cover every game.

Thats all beside the point though, none of them include digital games with physical copies which is what the original post seemed to have issue with.

One thing is certain: if I'm ever paying for a digital version, on a specific platform (Steam, Playstore, Uplay, Origin...) I don't want to be told that I have to buy it again for any BS reasons as if there wasn't easy convenient ways of accessing them. And one of the reason for digital success is of course almost all PC games coming with a Steam, Uplay or Origin code at some point.

Now as I said, only PC platform (by nature) and Xbox with backlog compatibility did it the right way, and I don't what the heck is Sony doing but at least I know I have one central persistent library for the Playstation platform.

Nintendo is not remotely close to that, they will pay for it instead of maintaining the interest in their backlog like the vast majority of publishers have been doing for the past years, because not only is the Switch no compatible with the same Wii U games I already have but also when wanting to buy an old Gameboy or Snes game, they want you to buy it again on Wii U, Switch and 3DS which is in no way acceptable and will not work no matter how stupid few consumers can get.

Smasher89

Would be nice to have a add on, which you can plug in to the joy con ports, that makes the switch able to read like DS/3ds games, or other portable games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd love a Classic Nintendo line -- either compilations or reasonably-priced stand alone copies -- but Nintendo would never do it.

Halo0629

Pretty niche and also quite risky as well. They're better off selling a collection rather than a standalone game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i can't wait for the switch to be hacked so i can give the finger to rehashed old shit,
i got the games on my shelves already please no

Hilarion

Individual classic games as carts is insane.

Collections, though, might be a bit less insane. A "3D Mario Classics" with Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 would be something that Nintendo could get away with pricing at $45 or $50.

This is assuming they don't want to remake any of these, in which case they should just do that. Sunshine, especially, could use a remake, in that it's 30 FPS rather than the 60 FPS that both Galaxy games are, it's only in Fullscreen while the Galaxy games are both Widescreen, and it's interlaced 480i while the Galaxy games are both 480p.

JimboJones

nope it would sell like crazy.

Depends on the game obviously, the Super Mario games might get away with it but selling individual classic games on cartridges for £/$20 each probably won't go down well for most, they where criticized when they done it on GBA and that was in an age before digital distribution.
Compilations I could get on board, a NES/SNES mini collection complete with the front end from the mini consoles would be cool for switch owners.

Hilarion

Speaking of collections, many people noted that Ocarina of Time 3DS and Majora's Mask 3DS were both shot in WAY more detail than you could actually see on a 240p screen. I've always had a hunch that there'd eventually be an OOT/MM Switch release which was basically those two games' 3DS versions blown up to 720p handheld/1080p docked, with relatively few other changes.

OH-MyCar

As a person heavily into retro games: I’m getting a bit sick of plastic, “collectible” crap. It’s lost its hold on me, even for games I love.

What I’d love to see are more localizations of design docs and old interviews like this; not cheap promotional materials yet again masquerading as a “limited collectible”. I want collections of first-hand design docs and interviews that give insights to the creation of these games (a lot like the first season of Game Center CX). Many of these creators are old, have left the business and’ve otherwise never spoken about a lot of these classics outside of the realm of, say, Zelda. Moreover, what is there isn’t in English.

If you think video games are an “art” or even a medium comparable to film, then ask for more things like that and less plastic junk. In a few years we’re going to reach a time where we can’t go back and find this information.

Top Bottom