• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE2 fan remake has been closed down.

Yeah people, they're going to ask the fan group on how the remake should be done... They clearly don't know how to do it so they needed outside input. This will totally end up being an RE4 with RE2 skin...

Seriously...

Anyway, good on Capcpom for at least doing it in a friendly way.

Despera

Banned
I remember reading somewhere that RE2 remake would be similar in style to REmake. Anyone have a source? I hope it's true.

Huh, that's cool of them.

Also, had no idea that the UE4 project was from the same guys at the Unity one (which I thought was a good effort but hilariously unplayable for me.) But I guess that makes sense in hindsight.

Wonder if the official remake is using UE4 or MT Framework (Like REmake HD and supposedly RE0 HD)?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is this the one that was using Bio1.5 to bring back the "original" Biohazard 2?

I honestly think they will do both.

Yes. I think too many people are basing their opinion on the latest Unreal Engine 4 version while the Unity version had both perspective. Capcom knows that there is a desire for both playstyles. I think they will appeal to both.

Is this the one that was using Bio1.5 to bring back the "original" Biohazard 2?

No.

Unity Version (fixed camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtiyfSFe1BM
Unity Version (OTS Camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGFDffyt2NQ
Unreal Engine 4 version (OTS camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9CXf0PwSzc (part1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1pZhMEzNA (part 2)

Emedan

"They have invited us to a meeting to discuss further ideas."

Hopefully one of the ideas InvaderGames had WASN'T "Make the game over-the-shoulder like our game..."

Oh really? I had no idea about this project, I had hoped inviting these (from just reading this OP) guys would make sure the game is true to the original.

And I think it will suffer for it if so.

No, they will just have to rebalance the gameplay depending on the perspective. They have to make completed indepedent modes. They should not allow real-time switching of perspectives so that they can have gameplay that suits each perspective uniquely. They can use the same assets in both modes and enable different playstyles for people who prefer fixed or OTS cameras. This will enable the OTS version to be more experimental than fixed camera version.

halfbeast

Banned
eh, they'll make it probably OTS/fixed switchable. would've loved to see what the game would look like with today's quality pre-rendered backgrounds.

It's totally going to be over-the-shoulders, RE4 style.

*Sigh* Why are people assuming this? It is probably going to be both. Capcom isn't stupid. They know that a lot of people prefer the REmake fixed camera.

In fact, the original Unity version of the fan remake had switchable perspectives.

Unity Version (fixed camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtiyfSFe1BM
Unity Version (OTS Camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGFDffyt2NQ
Unreal Engine 4 version (OTS camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9CXf0PwSzc (part1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1pZhMEzNA (part 2)

Jackpot

Banned
Given that this was the "bad" RE2 fanmake I have no complaints. If it had been the UDK based one on the other hand...

REmake2 has a monumental undertaking to recreate the theme and vibe set by the original REmake. That means re-organizing levels, expanding branch pathways and proliferate puzzles for 4 independent scenarios (ClaireA; LeonB, LeonA; ClaireB) that eventually transition to the laboratory where items aren't RE-USED for the sake of. Now that REmake redefined the lore, I expect snippets from the Hunters, Crimson Heads and even Nemesis to make brief appearances as they all tie in to the Jill scenario.

Also, I absolutely fucking refuse to believe Mr.X and Tyrant-Birkin had no engagements in the duration of the game.

I hope CAPCOM's talk, would allow them to participate in the development as clearly, they do have the capabilities of at least re-creating modern assets in standard engines.

artsi

Weird how these guys are getting all the attention, while Rod Lima has been doing his own interpretations of RE2 (mainly using Capcom assets) for about just as long for the purpose of learning Unreal/UDK.

Recently:
Resident Evil 2 -UDK project- A&B sametime co-op test
Resident Evil 2 4th Survivor -UDK project- (Hunk run)

I always thought this looked much better. Anyway I guess Capcom leaves it alone as it's just his personal project he's not releasing.

InvaderGames acted as a development studio, collected money via crownfunding and was aiming to release the game. They released trailers and even branded the game "Resident Evil 2 Reborn" which could be confused with official products.

latest

djshauny

Banned
I always thought this looked much better. Anyway I guess Capcom leaves it alone as it's just his personal project he's not releasing.

InvaderGames acted as a development studio, collected money via crownfunding and was aiming to release the game. They released trailers and even branded the game "Resident Evil 2 Reborn" which could be confused with official products.

They collected money? How much?

It would be interesting if Capcom internal devs worked on classic REmake version of Resident Evil 2 while Invader Games continues forth with a RE4 camera style version that is official and overseen by Capcom. It will be interesting to see what happens with all of this.I'm excited either way.

Hopefully, someone can get RE3 remade as well.

Yeah, I'm hoping this is the case. It's the best case scenario honestly, plenty of people including myself were looking forward to seeing a different perspective on RE2.

Brhoom

Banned
Convince them to make it pre rendered and not over the shoulders, AND PLEASE PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP HAVING THE CHARACTERS SAY FUNNY (not funny) things every comment and having a battle of who throws the best joke every dam conversation.

Patrick S.

Banned
Maybe they've invited you all to come in and develop it for them.

I think this is a move with the goal of not losing the goodwill of hardcore RE fans for shutting down this fanmade project. I doubt Capcom will offer them full-time employment. I mean, doesn't Capcom have their own staff that's more than skilled enought to do their remakes themselves?

djshauny

Banned
I think this is a move with the goal of not losing the goodwill of hardcore RE fans for shutting down this fanmade project. I doubt Capcom will offer them full-time employment. I mean, doesn't Capcom have their own staff that's more than skilled enought to do their remakes themselves?

They wont offer them anything like that. They are just being nice if anything.

At least this C & D isn't too bad since Capcom is actually putting work into a remake unlike SE with Chrono Resurrection...

No, they will just have to rebalance the gameplay depending on the perspective. They have to make completed indepedent modes. They should not allow real-time switching of perspectives so that they can have gameplay that suits each perspective uniquely. They can use the same assets in both modes and enable different playstyles for people who prefer fixed or OTS cameras. This will enable the OTS version to be more experimental than fixed camera version.

If you honestly think they're going to rebalance the game depending on the camera, then you're in for a rude awakening. That would be like them making two different games, in a game in which already has 4 different scenarios, The workload would be massive. If they honestly do it the way you are saying, it will cost them a lot of extra development time and they will have to make a decision over which one to go with.

Nerrel

So, using the RE2 Reborn assets as a base to build off of would be a smart move financially and it would give the team behind RE2 Reborn project a shot at developing a big project with a publisher (and work on their dream game with Capcom).

Very interested in seeing where this leads to, so I look forward to more information coming from this :).

Edit: Ignore this post; if Capcom wants to do the RE2 Remake right, they need to do it on their own I guess :l.

The fan remake was impressive for what it was and I'm sure the creators worked very hard on it, but it in no way was polished enough to even come close to a professional product. I don't see anything that Capcom could directly take from it that would be acceptable for the quality level fans are expecting- the art design isn't tight or cohesive, the animations are awkward and stiff, everything is low poly and bare looking. Sure, Capcom could fix it up, but there would be so much work needed they may as well start it from scratch themselves. They'd get better quality that way.

Beyond all that, it just doesn't look like it captures the original game's atmosphere or gameplay. Seeing RE6-style Leon plodding around and awkwardly pot-shotting zombies really doesn't do the original game justice. There's no flow to the action, no pacing, no tension.

And I mean that with no disrespect to anybody. They did a very good job building a glimpse of what a RE2 remake could look like. It just is what it is; a very humble fan project.

I have a feeling this will go with the RE4-type gameplay which doesn't sit well with what old RE games are about.

To have RE4's gameplay, you need big areas to fully-utilize RE4's mechanics. And you need very mobile enemies to justify the mechanics.

RE2 is about being trapped inside, close to the enemy. You move forward at a slower pace to help soak in the atmosphere. In RE1 and RE2, the environments are the main antagonists. They're memorable because you take your time going through them, you backtrack into most of them. Learn to appreciate them. Dig in every little details. They have personality because of the fixed camera angles. They show you what you need to see. And it makes all the difference.

REmake has my favorite environments in games. Some of them are so simple, so perfectly put together. The tiniest detail creates a specific emotion that's linked to a specific room you're in. And with a Third-person camera, it's incredibly hard to do because the player can look where he wants hence you have less-subtle environments. They're more blunt and direct than something with a fixed-camera.

In TPS RE games, you have a 360 degree view and the environments are pretty big. The art around you becomes spread too thin. Textures and models are optimized for performances and props and materials are reused for memory. They become emulation and pale interpretation of what the original intent was.

I could understand their decision if they decided to go with an RE4-type game, but the fan in me, the gamer in me and the game dev in me would really be sad with that direction.

djshauny

Banned
The fan remake was impressive for what it was and I'm sure the creators worked very hard on it, but it in no way was polished enough to even come close to a professional product. I don't see anything that Capcom could directly take from it that would be acceptable for the quality level fans are expecting- the art design isn't tight or cohesive, the animations are awkward and stiff, everything is low poly and bare looking. Sure, Capcom could fix it up, but there would be so much work needed they may as well start it from scratch themselves. They'd get better quality that way.

Beyond all that, it just doesn't look like it captures the original game's atmosphere or gameplay. Seeing RE6-style Leon plodding around and awkwardly pot-shotting zombies really doesn't do the original game justice. There's no flow to the action, no pacing, no tension.

And I mean that with no disrespect to anybody. They did a very good job building a glimpse of what a RE2 remake could look like. It just is what it is; a very humble fan project.

This

It amazes me that people think Capcom will use Invader Games assets.

TimmiT

I don't see the problem with the remake being in third person. I'd rather have the remake be more than just a graphics upgrade.

"They have invited us to a meeting to discuss further ideas."

Hopefully one of the ideas InvaderGames had WASN'T "Make the game over-the-shoulder like our game..."

and just like that the remake is ruined.
Capcom will think that over-the -shoulder is what everyone wants...

djshauny

Banned
and just like that the remake is ruined.
Capcom will think that over-the -shoulder is what everyone wants...

Look at all the posts on facebook. Everyone wants fixed camera angles etc. At best they are doing this for good PR. Give them a tour of the offices and have a nice chat. Thats it lol.

They know what the fans want. They wont base the whole remake from what these guys are doing. People have wanted a true remake for years. "H" even said this in the announcement video.

Chill lol

Top Bottom