• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 Castle > Village > Island?

Favourite Area in RE4

• The Village

Votes: 67 66.3%
  • The Castle

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • The Island

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

jdforge

Banned
There’s 3 main areas to visit in this masterpiece. Each area has some standout moments that thrill, scare and entertain us in many different ways.

As the thread title suggests I rank the areas as follows

Castle
Village
Island

What say you GAF? I’m on my 3rd play through on Switch which prompted the thread.

Last edited:

Tipton32

Village is my pick. Castle is really good too imo. Island is honestly kinda awful. Love the regenerators though.

Meted

The islands only saving grace is these scary mofos
re4regenerator.jpg
1460737829327.jpg

brian0057

Banned
Resident Evil 4 is an amazing game... until you're halfway through the Castle. After that, it's all downhill from there with the island being one of the worst sections in the series.

Eimran

Village had the best things: awesome intro, first time against the chainsaw wielding maniac Salvador, del Lago lake monster, El gigante, the house raid with luis. And I just liked the atmosphere the most there: the creepy woods. I always expected something to Jump out of it to kill me.

Castle was alsof very nice with also memorable moments. It had less horror but that was compensated by the island and the regenerators.

Village>Castle>island but in general fantastic game. This thread made me wanna replay it.

bukowski81

I haven't played this game since it launched on Gamecube in 2005 and I can't remember anything about the island, so i guess the island is the worst for me. Of the other two, a slight advantage to the village.

dan76

I'd say Village, Castle then Island. I like the castle a lot but I always thought it was too bright, and those red monks look like Darth Maul. Still, great gameplay.

When I first played it it seemed to take weeks to finish. I remember in the village cable car ride looking up and seeing the castle and saying to my mate, hey I it would be great to go in there. I actually thought the game was almost over near the end of the village. Weird.

The island is where they stop introducing new gameplay twists and just ramp up the numbers, so it can get a bit stale, even though the Regenerators are one of the best enemies in all RE.

Still the best RE for me, with Remake and Remake2 close behind.

jdforge

Banned
It's village > castle > island

Fact

But The Castle brings the awesome rifle and sniper gun play, creepy Ashley segments with no weapons, puzzles, the best enemies and running about a massive creepy castle is just ace.

I love the village too especially when you come back to it at night and shits going down lol. I loved that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, it's The Castle > The Village > The Island.

Outside of the final boss fight, I didn't care for the Island at all.

sublimit

Banned
I think the village is more iconic but the castle was more hauntingly beautiful and interesting for me.The island was unremarkable.

But The Castle brings the awesome rifle and sniper gun play, creepy Ashley segments with no weapons, puzzles, the best enemies and running about a massive creepy castle is just ace.

I love the village too especially when you come back to it at night and shits going down lol. I loved that.
The castle is great but the village defines the game

Hissing Sid

Just 100% the HD version of this and it’s still as good as I remembered.

I’d only ever played the Wii version before so this was my first time playing the game with a regular controller but I was headshotting in no time at all. In fact I’d go so far as to say that the wimote made things a bit too easy and I actually enjoyed it more with the sticks.

Shrug. Life certainly becomes easier when you start kneecapping the fuckers and finishing them off with the knife. Plenty of ammo.

Anyway I voted for the village. Fabulous atmosphere. Great game. Plus Leon is my favourite RE character.

Ps. Fuck the house siege with Luis. Fuck it I say. I always pussy out and take the stairs with a shotgun. Luis can take care of his own arse.

Last edited:
Castle, IMO hands down.

Has most of the long battles.
Has better unique enemies (those blind guys and invisible bugs) than other areas.
Has least quick time events.
Has Ashley mission.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Going to go with village or island, but tbh my favorite areas probably were in the surrounding landscape. There were some pretty scenic views of the mountains, lake, etc

ChuyMasta

Village for me. Awesome intro and the rural setting is just incredible. Fully exploring all the cottages, cabins and warehouses is rewarding. Plus it feels so organic I can't quite explain it but I can imagine how peaceful the place was before Los illuminados took over.

It's my personal bias since I grew up in a similar setting and I thought thats what life was about. Farming, taking care of animals, going down the stream to fill up your water buckets. My nostalgia makes me appreciate all the little details and RE4 reminded me of my childhood memories.

Plus yeah, the game still rocks. Im in my Professional run right now. Not sure I want to collect the bottlecaps yet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like the castle the most, great music too.

jadefire66

Resident Evil 4 is an amazing game... until you're halfway through the Castle. After that, it's all downhill from there with the island being one of the worst sections in the series.

Agreed 100%. Game should've ended with chapter 3.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Village exemplifies everything that inspired the game. The frenzied defense of buildings and exits, pushing furniture over windows and doors. The chainsaw guy with his blood curdling yell. Multiple fantastic bosses. The huge defend the house fight right before the castle with Ashley and that other dude. No contest in my opinion.

Castle is fun, and it helps the flawless pacing the game has. That's where you slow the pace down and get a few more light puzzles and sophisticated rooms.

Island is the universal least favorite. But again, the pacing is spot on. At that point, you're tired and just want the big shootout and the finish.

pramod

Banned
They're all awesome in their own ways.

Village had the best atmosphere
Castle had the best puzzles/gameplay elements
Island had the best story/NPCs

I'm a sucker for innovative gameplay, so I vote Castle.

Last edited:

Holgren

Island has Krauser and that giant monster with the tongue out. It is a pretty good area for boss fights.

This is such a great game, love it to bits.

I often hear people point out how the game starts to drag at the island but I feel like the real drag is the latter portions of the castle area. Salazar statue room - elevator section - salazar fight is easily the worst stretch of gameplay in re4 for me.

Village is unbeatable. One of the few 10/10 gaming experiences.

Village is the best because it's the most unique, the castle feels like lesser version of the original RE4 and the island feels more like a typical RE environment.

A few years ago I would have agreed easily but now I'm not so sure the castle is superior to the village. I think the castle drags just a bit though I'm not sure which part I would take out from it. I definitely think it has a better environment than the village though.

Generic

The game gets better as it progress. More enemies, mutated ganados, more guns, better setpieces. At the start there's nothing much to do.

jdforge

Banned
I'm a sucker for solid starts and RE4 has one of the best starts ever. Hard to top the village.

But top it they did with The Castle ;)

You’ve got to wonder if Mikami would like the game back to improve The Island when there’s such an obvious dislike to this area in comparison to The Village and The Castle.

GametimeUK

It's so weird to me how I order things Village > Castle > Island and yet somehow the game gets better as I play it instead of worse.

PrCat88

Not the bloody island, that's for damn sure. Torn on village and castle. Village had the initial first impression and enemies/setting to toy with, but I appreciate the Salazar castle with its memorable traps and pathways.

Top Bottom