• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

I'm sorry but the comparison to MW is just plain stupid.

Yes, COD has very short single player campaign but you also get a meaty multiplayer component, Spec Ops missions for solo play and usually a co-op element as well.

The Order has none of that.

GHG

Gold Member
I don't think that's a problem if you have price diversity also.

This is a flawed concept and one which assumes all games are homogeneous. They are not, they are all different things to different people.

What one person might perceive to be "worth" $60 another might decide its only "worth" $20 and vice versa.

And luckily for us, this industry allows everyone to make that choice. You can wait for a sale, you can buy used, you can even rent.

Because of all these factors, I don't understand why its even debated. You are not forced to purchase every game that comes out nor are you forced to buy anything at full price.

yurinka

I read somewhere that the video is 5h 40 min, but playing on easy, going straight to the point and that misses 4 chapters or the game. Is it true?
Ico
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid

All full price. All "short". All great.
Captain Toad is another example of short game.

They're probably going to regret that "it's impossible" thing.

Unskippable cut scenes means he's right.

I read somewhere that the video is 5h 40 min, but playing on easy, going straight to the point and that misses 4 chapters or the game. Is it true?

Don't know about difficulty, but the dude playing died plenty and spent his time in areas. All chapters were there.

I, for one, have cancelled my preorder..
the game really clicked with me, so I preordered at full price instead of waiting for the usual bomba drill, then it comes all the duration thing....
really? even if it was more than 5 hours and it was 8...
heck 8 hours for 65 euros?
lol no :|
I'll wait for the usual bomba price drop..

Another 30+ page thread on The Order? Sure, I'll

7wcpc_by_rainrivermusic-d7csf1n.gif

"Gameplay length for me is so relative to quality. It's just like a movie. Just because a movie is three hours long, it doesn't make it better."
Well then next time go make a darn CGI-Movie for Sony Pictures instead of a 60,- $/€ game.

The GamesCom demo back in last years august was mediocre, minimal, slow and bad gameplay. If this is still the case (i don't know if it is), then maybe it is better that the "game" is short.

I just think that there is a lot of wasted potential with this game ... the initial reveal and the setting made it really interessting ....

sam777

Nope that is total time with every chapter, he did play on easy or normal not sure which one. Also he didn't rush through it, which a lot of people who have not seen the video assume/claim.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, where is the response? All I see it's a lot of words and no real answer. And talking about how fun were the 3.5 hours of Modern Warfare. I guess that sets the benchmark.

-MD-

He played every chapter. He progressed through the game at a moderate pace ignoring the collectables on Normal.

Edit: edited post with mjp2417's info

People are forgetting how much their play time will go up once they patch in photomode. That's going to have people spending HOURS more time with the game.

Cannot fucking wait for this game, no matter how long it is or isn't

FeiRR

Banned
Remember Portal's length?

:]

I remember Dear Esther. A bit more than an hour for about $10 and it wasn't even a game, just walking around in the engine. But it was sold on Steam as a game. No refunds possible, of course.

iceatcs

Another 30+ page thread on The Order? Sure, I'll

7wcpc_by_rainrivermusic-d7csf1n.gif

PS games are so popular. I was never heard of it last month, coming from PC only.

Now it's most comment on youtube, facebook, twitter and of course, the internet. It seem that any PS games is deadly popular automatically.
Tip to devs, want to sell on day one, go for PS market, any game will be popular on pre-release no matter what is it.

Axass

This a mess.

It has been since the original reveal, which if you don't remember went like this:

"Wow look at that victorian setting, so cool!"
"Finally something different!"
"Thank you Sony!"

Then from the carriage came out people bearing guns:

"They fucked it up."
"More of the same."
"You're not impressing me Sony."

My point is that this has been a game destined to disappoint ever since the first moment it was shown (which btw was too early, because it passed many months before we saw it again). With the months passing many got more invested in the game, because there were some cool tech things shown and because the PS4 didn't exactly have a stellar and wide library of games, those having a PS4 only were naturally brought to look into it, since there wasn't much more to look after. Later though there was only more controversial and disappointing stuff: instant death QTEs, interviews about graphics being more important than gameplay, no gameplay shown for a long time, length of the game, etc.

I'm not saying the game's going to be bad (if anything, for many the length of the ride won't probably be worth the admission fee), we'll have reviews and impressions to judge that, however the fact it was going to be a disappointment was in the paper for the longest time: people wanted this game to be something it wasn't designed to be, developers didn't try to clarify and set the record straight about the scope of their game, instead they tried to ride the hype wave, which is now going to crash on the beach of broken dreams.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well then next time go make a darn CGI-Movie for Sony Pictures instead of a 60,- $/€ game.

The GamesCom demo back in last years august was mediocre, minimal, slow and bad gameplay. If this is still the case (i don't know if it is), then maybe it is better that the "game" is short.

I just think that there is a lot of wasted potential with this game ... the initial reveal and the setting made it really interessting ....

They said themselves that the gameplay was secondary to the story, it was clear what type of product they were making. Something to show off the graphical capability of the PS4, it's just the modern equivalent of The Bouncer.

mjp2417

Banned
He played every chapter. He progressed through the game at a moderate pace ignoring the collectables on easy or normal I don't think anyone knows for sure about that.

He actually mentions in the comments to one of the videos that he's playing on normal.

casiopao

I don't think that's a problem if you have price diversity also.

This is the main problem if u ask me.

There are other game like Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse which had 40 bucks price which is price accordingly based on their content and what crazy is that both those games even had longer play time than this game which is sad.

They said themselves that the gameplay was secondary to the story, it was clear what type of product they were making. Something to show off the graphical capability of the PS4, it's just the modern equivalent of The Bouncer.

Man, I loved the Bouncer, some nostalgia just crept up with your post

Pop

PS games are so popular. I was never heard of it last month, coming from PC only.

Now it's most comment on youtube, facebook, twitter and of course, the internet. It seem that any PS games is deadly popular automatically.
Tip to devs, want to sell on day one, go for PS market, any game will be popular on pre-release no matter what is it.

Exclusives are seriously business.

So popular with GAF.

Stimpack

Another thread for people to argue the same shit, why can't we just wait till Friday when more people have the game in their hands?

With the way the game has been billed, this has been a long time coming. People are usually quite hostile when it comes to video games being "cinematic experiences." I don't know what proof is out there, but hearing about people watching 5.5 hour gameplay videos from start to finish, has me thinking that the game is in line with most people's expectations of it. There's a hostile reaction, but I personally think it's a good thing. I don't want full-priced glorified movies taking over the AAA gaming space. I don't want devs thinking that the market is alright with this line of thinking. But, hey, that's just how I see things.

There's a right way and a wrong way to make and market this kind of game, and from everything I'm seeing and hearing of it, this is the wrong way. It doesn't help that they're doing interviews filled with words that amount to absolutely nothing.

Ushay

He never denied the 5 hour length. Oh man, I'm staying away until proper player views and reviews come out.

JayEH

Ahhh the Bouncer :)

Carn82

Gee guys, would you pay 'full price' for games like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil 2 if they got released today? Those are typical single player games with 8 to 12 hours of content, less if you rush it, more if you're a completionist. Personally I'm fine with an 8 hour campaign; and it will probably take me a bit longer since I like to look around and play it on hard. If you don't think it isnt offering enough value for your money just pick it up in a sale.

patapuf

I don't see why there is such a fuss, this type of corridor shooting game is always 6-8 hours long.

When it comes to these mediocre 'cinematic' games just wait a month and buy it for half price.

Jep, considering the production values that's exactly what kind of lenght one had to expect.

Of course that can be a tough sell at 60$, understandably so. However the amount of attention that is getting seems a little out of proportion, at least on GAF.

Noob Fu

I for one hope it is a short campaign. I am renting this and hope to blow through the campaign for the story. Don't want to spend 15 hours on it.
I do the same for the CoD and such games, just breeze through the story.

With the way the game has been billed, this has been a long time coming. People are usually quite hostile when it comes to video games being "cinematic experiences." I don't know what proof is out there, but hearing about people watching 5.5 hour gameplay videos from start to finish, has me thinking that the game is in line with most people's expectations of it. There's a hostile reaction, but I personally think it's a good thing. I don't want full-priced glorified movies taking over the AAA gaming space. I don't want devs thinking that the market is alright with this line of thinking. But, hey, that's just how I see things.

There's a very simple thing that you and those who feel this way, can do, don't buy the game. No amount of arguing playtimes or going back and forth is gonna change a thing. You vote with your wallet, you're scared the game's gonna be 5.5 hours, you think it's too cinematic than don't buy it. And for everyone else arguing with people who don't want to buy it for those reasons, why do you guys care so much what other people buy?

You enjoy cinematic games, buy it
You don't enjoy them, don't buy it, rent it if you want or watch it on youtube

Axass

Captain Toad is another example of short game.

I spent 17 hours on Cap Toad to complete it. However much of that is redoing missions to get the bonus stuff and finish challenges, so it is true that the game's original content is much shorter (still around 10 hours), however: (1) it has replayability, (2) it has great diversity, (3) the price point was $/€40.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm fine with a short game as long as it is fun. It feels like every AAA game lately is an open-world collectathon, I'm playing Far Cry 4 right now and it's boring me to tears.

Empty

most games could do with being half as long, if not more. very few use my time effectively. personally i like it when they're short as i can control the price i buy the game at, how much i value each hour of entertainment by waiting as i don't need to buy day 1 (or buying day 1 if i value it that much), but i can't control how the game is actually made. bad game is bad forever, bad value game is eventually good value.

the problem is that there's a reason why they are padded, it's because retail is just brutal for games and you have to compete with rivals that offer huge open worlds with a million things to do or single player, co-op and multiplayer in one box or a lengthy cinematic story with lots of mechanics and a multiplayer mode too. kind of expect it to get slaughtered.

VeeP

Gee guys, would you pay 'full price' for games like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil 2 if they got released today? Those are typical single player games with 8 to 12 hours of content, less if you rush it, more if you're a completionist. Personally I'm fine with an 8 hour campaign; and it will probably take me a bit longer since I like to look around and play it on hard. If you don't think it isnt offering enough value for your money just pick it up in a sale.

You should compare games to games which are out today.

Does Order give enough value for its money compared to other games on the market?

And hopefully it is 8+ hours but what if it's less? Like 6 hours or 5? A poster above says he saw the whole game played in 5.5 hours. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edit: Another important thing is the replay value it has. Any costumes? New Game Plus? Difficulty modes? Unlocks? Etc.

He never denied the 5 hour length. Oh man, I'm staying away until proper player views and reviews come out.

He said this

"I know there are numbers out there," he said. "I know why the question comes up. I know numbers have been put out there that are actually not right. It's impossible to finish the game in that time, so we know the numbers are wrong.

ViciousDS

Banned
The original god of war was only 6 hours.....and was one of the best $60 i ever spent.

Edit: nvm they were $50 back then

Kaze2212

There's a very simple thing that you and those who feel this way, can do, don't buy the game. No amount of arguing playtimes or going back and forth is gonna change a thing. You vote with your wallet, you're scared the game's gonna be 5.5 hours, you think it's too cinematic than don't buy it. And for everyone else arguing with people who don't want to buy it for those reasons, why do you guys care so much what other people buy?

You enjoy cinematic games, buy it
You don't enjoy them, don't buy it, rent it if you want or watch it on youtube

Thank you. Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom