• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn unveils Deformers (PC/PS4/XB1, online/local MP, GameStop) [Previews]

AudioEppa

I think after 11 pages it's beyond clear.

-People who like the the order 1886, are not into this new game.

-People who don't like the order 1886, are into this new game.

Each side had their dig at both of these games, we all have personal preference on what kind of games we like, let's just leave it at that and chill.

To the developer who commented in this thread, I may not into you're game, but I'm happy business is still good for RaD. Maybe trying out beta or demo in the future could change my mind.

I apologize if this comment seems like I am trying to act like a mod, I just feel like it's stupid how this one game still gets people fighting after a year of being released. The problem isn't the game, it's how a lot of gamers don't respect each other's likes and dislikes and as will have odd obsession with there side to be the most dominant, but that's a topic for another time.

Loudninja

Hey! :) My name is Andrea Pessino, I am the director on Deformers. I am NOT here to change the tone of the conversation or convert the skeptics, but I just wanted to contribute a couple extra bits of information. I hope it's OK.

We will support cross play everywhere they lets us. Up to 4 player split screen, 8 players total per match, with heterogeneous teams and the ability to mix couch and online players as desired. 60FPS on all platforms (except using splitscreen on some platforms). Dedicated servers all around. We are building some very unique features to encourage competitive play – a lot more will be announced later.

As for the game itself, it is really hard to communicate what the experience is like in a video (much less a screenshot). It plays and feels like its own thing. Now this is not by itself a guarantee of quality, of course, but honestly we spend insane amounts of time playing it and it’s so much fun we can’t stop even when we are just debugging it. ;) A lot of the novelty comes from the fact that the game is completely physics based – the way the characters interact with the platforms and with each other feels very tactile and immediate (a main reason why we wanted the combat to rely heavily on melee). Smashing, blasting, grabbing, stomping, parrying, etc. everything feels very connected.

We have been iterating on the core gameplay for well over a year, trying to refine the pillars of the combat: fast and frantic, easy to pickup but very layered, centered on skill, social and competitive. Everyone we have shown the game to so far has had a really fun time with it – so we are hopeful we are on the right track. :)

On a personal note: this game has been a wonderful, emotional experience for me. The original concept for it is something I have been dreaming of making for over 25 years, that’s a part of it for sure. But by FAR the biggest factor has been the spirit and determination of the team that has built itself around it – they have turned it into the most rewarding project I’ve ever worked on, personally and professionally. It’s like a crazy club of shit talking gamers spending insane amounts of time together, arguing and polishing and experimenting and playing, playing, playing... We have a so much fun coming up with the crazy and goofy stuff, looking for the most gameplay possible and just spending time together on a small project we really believe in.

Now, I really hope the game will resonate with players looking for something different , but however it comes out at the end don’t feel sorry for us since we are having a fucking blast working hard on it. :)
I am glad you guys are getting the chance to make what you want. :)

Blah blah looks more fun than the Order!! Har har! Cause I need everything to be colorful and fun at all times or I get grumpy!

Game looks awesome though, can't wait to try it out. But my god not every game has to be some "fun toy".

Zukkoyaki

Hey! :) My name is Andrea Pessino, I am the director on Deformers. I am NOT here to change the tone of the conversation or convert the skeptics, but I just wanted to contribute a couple extra bits of information. I hope it's OK.

We will support cross play everywhere they lets us. Up to 4 player split screen, 8 players total per match, with heterogeneous teams and the ability to mix couch and online players as desired. 60FPS on all platforms (except using splitscreen on some platforms). Dedicated servers all around. We are building some very unique features to encourage competitive play – a lot more will be announced later.

As for the game itself, it is really hard to communicate what the experience is like in a video (much less a screenshot). It plays and feels like its own thing. Now this is not by itself a guarantee of quality, of course, but honestly we spend insane amounts of time playing it and it’s so much fun we can’t stop even when we are just debugging it. ;) A lot of the novelty comes from the fact that the game is completely physics based – the way the characters interact with the platforms and with each other feels very tactile and immediate (a main reason why we wanted the combat to rely heavily on melee). Smashing, blasting, grabbing, stomping, parrying, etc. everything feels very connected.

We have been iterating on the core gameplay for well over a year, trying to refine the pillars of the combat: fast and frantic, easy to pickup but very layered, centered on skill, social and competitive. Everyone we have shown the game to so far has had a really fun time with it – so we are hopeful we are on the right track. :)

On a personal note: this game has been a wonderful, emotional experience for me. The original concept for it is something I have been dreaming of making for over 25 years, that’s a part of it for sure. But by FAR the biggest factor has been the spirit and determination of the team that has built itself around it – they have turned it into the most rewarding project I’ve ever worked on, personally and professionally. It’s like a crazy club of shit talking gamers spending insane amounts of time together, arguing and polishing and experimenting and playing, playing, playing... We have a so much fun coming up with the crazy and goofy stuff, looking for the most gameplay possible and just spending time together on a small project we really believe in.

Now, I really hope the game will resonate with players looking for something different , but however it comes out at the end don’t feel sorry for us since we are having a fucking blast working hard on it. :)

Hey Andrea!

Just wanted to say that I'm glad you guys are enjoying this game so much and that I'm really looking forward to it! Looks like pure fun :D

jett

D-Member
I think it's just ridiculous and petty to dismiss/dislike this game just because it's not another massive AAA shootbang game.

It looks neat, I'd be willing to try it out.

TheRatedD

I hope we'll see a sequel to The Order at some point. It'd be such a shame for the series to die so quickly and on a cliffhanger.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Hey man. I just want to say I'm glad you and the rest of RAD are doing good and having a great time as well. The game looks really cool but I love me some interesting fun looking party games so this is right up my alley and I can see me and my friends having a blast with this. Keep up the hard work and don't let the shit posters get to you!

ironcreed

Banned
giphy.gif

I'll pass. Which is a shame, as I felt they were on to something with The Order.

VLiberty

So happy to see you're still around, it was heartbreaking to see both the direction you took with TO, and its fail, as I loved your work ever since that gem that is Daxter. I'm definitely looking forward to this one, buona fortuna ragazzi!

Game looks like it could be fun. I don't understand why people think this means they can't also be working on something big. Fingers crossed that they're given another shot at The Order franchise.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Andrea mi ci gioco le palle che anche questo titolo spacchera' di brutto. :)

Keeps on rockin' man, looking forward to this and whatever comes next, I love and applaud when devs let their passion be the drive without giving a funk about what's necessarily expected of them. Of course I can imagine that having a solid fanbase is great as a studio, but that should never dictate where you're going to spend a good chunk of your life in the coming year(s), so hearing you guys are having a blast (and the idea resonating with me for the little we've seen so far) is all I need to have my interest piqued. Btw, so glad you're a fellow Gaffer! Super neat and thanks for dropping some truthbombs on us :p
In bocca al lupo!

Stealth50

Looks great. There's a shortage of new and fun local multiplayer games and I think this has the potential to become a defining local multiplayer game of this generation.

Im interested, good luck to you guys :)

Im happy to hear that you guys are enjoying yourself too.

hesido

Looking good. You'll put the doubters to shame, that's how I feel. Hoping that the pricing at launch will be well adjusted to my ever smaller wallet though: :(

Hey Andrea! Nice of you to stop by. The new game looks really fun. Cant wait to give it a try. Looks like something fresh and interesting. You've always been great with connecting and conversing with the community answering questions and stuff. Always appreciated.

Crowne

Neo Member
Hey Andrea, I fell in love with the first The Order trailer and it was the main reason for my ps4 purchase. Sadly the game was only average, but the world and characters have a lot of potential. So I ask you right away, as a big fan, will there be a sequel to give us The Order we deserve?

Deformers is a smash-em-up arena brawler from Ready At Dawn

Oh my god, I am so in

...mayyybe I just need to play it first.

And for people panicking, this seems like a budget palette cleanser after what I imagine was 5 years on a grim-dark development grind. Give them a break. Honestly it looks like it could be fun once we see more footage and gameplay details.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more I look at this, the more I want to get my hands on it. It looks fun and the impressions have been very positive so far. Hope there's a beta or something.

I'm not even being 'edgy' when I say this looks significantly more fun than The Order.

Sure, some might see it as a sad fate that they went from first party AAA blockbuster to small, independent title but if they enjoyed making it and it turns out as fun as it looks, then it's all good.

Armadilo

Banned

"cross play everywhere they lets us" Yes please! One Game.One Community ,Game looks fun and you guys most likely are working on something bigger for the near future . Keep at it and good luck
-
Can you guys have a Demo for the game...? We don't see any of those anymore :(

pixelation

Hello Andrea, will it have some sort of single player campaign?. Thank you.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Thanks again for the kind words - even the ones in Italian! :D

Our studio is working on two more projects besides this one. Deformers does not mean we have given up on other kinds of games.

Got to keep trying new stuff too, know what I mean? ;)

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Hello Andrea, will it have some sort of single player campaign?. Thank you.

No campaign (other than probably some training levels). There will be optional AIs, however.

It is designed from the ground up as a multiplayer game and we rather put all our eggs in that basket. :)

Our studio is working on two more projects besides this one. Deformers does not mean we have given up on other kinds of games.

I was fixing to post that it looks like they could work on this game and a AAA game with The Order level of graphics at the same time and here's this post.

Hopefully you guys are. Plserino

Gowans

Will by to play with my kids, they will love something like this and there really is a gap for well made, colourful and lively family quick action games.

oSoLucky

No campaign (other than probably some training levels). There will be optional AIs, however.

It is designed from the ground up as a multiplayer game and we rather put all our eggs in that basket. :)

Thanks a lot for your responses. It's good to hear that you guys are having so much fun making it. Best of luck.

That should have been obvious. The majority of posts in here have been a total embarrassment.

I'm curious about the game and interested in seeing more (hopefully at E3).

Top Bottom