• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real: Beautiful Katamari PS3 canned, Rumor: Wii version in the work

DreD

http://wii.ign.com/articles/800/800761p1.html

Namco Bandai revealed earlier this year that it was developing the next-generation Katamari Damacy sequel, Beautiful Katamari, for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Up until recently, the developer continued to work on both versions of the project. However, sources close to Namco Bandai tell IGN that the studio ran into some trouble with the port of the game to PlayStation 3 and these issues, coupled with the stalled sales of the system, have led to the project's quiet cancellation. Looking to better-than-expected sales of Wii, the company has, say insiders, re-shifted resources to ready a Wii build of Beautiful Katamari instead. Given that the title cannot be ported from Xbox 360, the game is being re-concepted for Wii.

Beezy

5zdr9mg.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know, to be quite honest, Beautiful Katamari probably fits the PS3 better than the 360, because of the motion controls. Katamari always controlled pretty awkwardly and if the Sixaxis or the Wiimote could improve that, it could help make up for the fact that as of yet the game has not demonstrated any really new features and it's visually pretty weak.

That was sure to come. Some jaw dropping media from PS3 games, some other good news, and then rumorgedon commence with all the negative one can gather in this world.

C4Lukins

Now we know what the Frame City Killer team has been up to. I wonder what their next accomplishment will be.

Pleeeeease be true! This is one of many PS2 franchises that I would love to try on Wii. I'd have bought a PS2, but my brother already had two of his die and I'm really hesitant to buy things that I don't think will last long. Anyway, this isn't about hating on the PS2, but rather how I'm glad to experience potentially awesome games I missed last generation.

Jammy

Banned
The title cannot be ported? Nothing from Beautful Katamari leads me to believe that the Wii cannot handle the game.

AntMurda

I think PS3 and Wii should get slightly different versions of Katamari. Both systems boast some new hardware that can really further advance the series.

The 360 i think slighty hinders the old control scheme and does it all in HD. That kinda sucks.

How could they have trouble porting a game like Katamari Dama...

IGN said:
Namco-Bandai

...oh, I see.

A Wii60 game would indeed be a first.

Jammy said:
The title cannot be ported? Nothing from Beautful Katamari leads me to believe that the Wii cannot handle the game.

If all the assets were built with 720p or 1080p/60fps in mind, I imagine they would have to do some retooling here and there.

tha_con

Banned
I could care less at this point. THey've put no effort into doing anything new with the game, and they'll probably plan on charging full retail ($60) for it. I spent $50 on the last TWO combined, and I'm not going to invest money in this crappy cash scheme for Namco to bank off of. HOnestly, the same creator isn't even behind this title. I'm not buying it, release or no release.

Jammy said:
You didn't pay attention. The main addition in this one, is that you get to play constantly from microscopic to earth size katamari. In previous game, you had separate levels, where you were getting bigger and bigger Katamari from the start, in BK, there's one level.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Sho_Nuff82 said:
If all the assets were built with 720p or 1080p/60fps in mind, I imagine they would have to do some retooling here and there.

the assets were built for 480i. in 2004.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ynos Yrros said:
You didn't pay attention. The main addition in this one, is that you get to play constantly from microscopic to earth size katamari. In previous game, you had separate levels, where you were getting bigger and bigger Katamari from the start, in BK, there's one level.

The only difference we know so far is that the transition is smooth rather than abrupt., not that there is just one level; I highly doubt your 10km katamari will be picking up 1mm objects... so you'll still functionally have multiple levels, it just won't have the jarring interrruption that earlier Katamari games had.

Crow-kun

Banned
The only people who care are on gaf. If it sold like crap on the ps2, it ain't gonna do good on the 360.

On Wii? Maybe? the sheep will follow.
:lol

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
I'm pretty cut about this. Given how well sixaxis and motion control seems suited to the task of pushing around a katamari....

If they're going to move it off the PS3 onto the Wii, they should rename it to hideous katamari.

:p

Seriously though, I can't imagine what 'developmental' difficulties they may have ran up against. Maybe no money hats from Sony :/

ZeoVGM

Banned
Crow-kun said:
The only people who care are on gaf. If it sold like crap on the ps2, it ain't gonna do good on the 360.

On Wii? Maybe? the sheep will follow.
:lol

Um.

Are you really that dense?

Grecco

Ynos Yrros said:
That was sure to come. Some jaw dropping media from PS3 games, some other good news, and then rumorgedon commence with all the negative one can gather in this world.

Yes its just a Non-Game Conspiracy. Everything to make Sony look bad!

tha_con said:
I could care less at this point. THey've put no effort into doing anything new with the game, and they'll probably plan on charging full retail ($60) for it. I spent $50 on the last TWO combined, and I'm not going to invest money in this crappy cash scheme for Namco to bank off of. HOnestly, the same creator isn't even behind this title. I'm not buying it, release or no release.

Couldn't care less. Couldn't. Not could. Couldn't.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

Chemo

SolidSnakex said:
Who would moneyhat this? As pointed out, this series doesn't sell at all.
I dunno, the same company that paid almost half a billion dollars for Rare, maybe.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i can see microsoft moneyhatting this -- they need games that depart from traditional xbox themes, and katamari has (or once had) a kind of hipness and cachet

then again i can also see namco struggling to produce a ps3 port of a game with ps2 graphics

and i can also see ign being full of shit

i can see my house from here

Crisis

Banned
If true, that PS3 part doesn't make ANY sense. It's ****ing Katamari Damacy. 1, it's not like it's a demanding game to make, anyway. Even in 720, it's not exactly pushing any game system. 2, it can't possibly be costing that much money to make a version of the game for all three systems. Namco would have a much better chance of profiting from the game if it were on all systems. 3, I sincerely doubt that Namco wasn't making a Wii version in the first place.

Top Bottom