• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real PC RPGs Are For Nerds

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What am i watching...

2017-09-2113_37_10-re2pyee.png

Kthulhu

I wish I knew which game some of these people were referring to.

"Final Fantasy and Diablo aren't RPGs" then what the hell are they?

Village

Someone needs to hook jim up with a full sized purple costume for this segment

With the high socks and buckled shoes and shit

This is genuinely amazing, the music, the 'shopped backgrounds he's chosen, his accent and costume/make-up had me gripped for all 4 mins. While I don't agree that ALL are deeper and more rewarding, it's easy to see that when you compare a game like D:OS2 to other "RPGs" on console... you can see the quality differences.

Stygr

Banned
I wish I knew which game some of these people were referring to.

"Final Fantasy and Diablo aren't RPGs" then what the hell are they?

FF is a JRPG =/= RPG, when you say "RPG" you are referring to the western style RPGs.
Diablo is uhm...a hack 'n' slash action RPG.

To be fair, I find it hard to get upset at elitists when the genre has been continuously dumbed down in the name of "accessibility."

Shari

Shit I gave a click to that guy. Well played with the thread title and total lack of information.

My bad, I clicked too fast.

Moff

He looks legit fantastic.
I also love acted out social media comments, a german comedy show does that sometimes and its hilarious. Has Jim done other bits like that?

I know he's taking the piss out of people (that deserve to have the piss taken out of them) but I gotta say the types from RPG Codex have a point when they imply that maybe turning a beloved hardcore RPG series into a loot shooter with the dialog complexity of "yes", "no", "sarcastic"(?) and "tell me more" isn't a great idea.

Fliesen

i mean, i get the whole amiel shtick, but i'm not sure it warrants an ongoing series of 5 minute long videos.

But hey, whatever floats anyone's boat, i can just not watch them if i grow tired of them.

Surfside

Banned
Well most of those "hardcore" rpgs get a console port
anyway. I think most of the animosity came because
some pc gamers were afraid, the different input methods would lead to the games being specificly desinged for consoles. Many take the difference between Dragon Age Origins and Inquisiton as proof.
But i think these changes were made because they thought, they could reach a bigger audience, on
consoles as well as pcs. I never bought the argument
that console players only ever want to play simple games.

Shari

Hit a little too close to home?

No, I just dont like Jim Sterling ever since the Zelda review. Followed the guy for a long time but he's been going more and more down the road of the easy critique and the clickbaity caps-lock sentences. He's a bit too much over the top for me nowadays.

Also way less funny than used to be.

I dont see why would you quote me to ask me that lol, do you have a problem with me? I don't even know what the video is about since I closed the window immediately after I saw it was JS.

saturnine

Shit I gave a click to that guy. Well played with the thread title and total lack of information.

My bad, I clicked too fast.

good news for you : his shit is funded through patreon, so go ahead, hate-watch him to your little heart's content

Shari

The brigade has arrived :S

good news for you : his shit is funded through patreon, so go ahead, hate-watch him to your little heart's content

I dont hate-watch and I dont refuse to watch him to not to give him money, I just don't like his content anymore.

Top Bottom