• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic Link design by Kyle Hefley (343 Developer)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I see realistic Zelda requested so often on the internet and found an actual realistic depiction of Link by a 343 dev.
YERTj5k.jpg

colored version
SMcwavj.jpg

Provides a interesting perspective despite the lack of color.

Not

Banned
Suddenly, I have no desire to play as Link for the first time ever

Edit: sorry for dogpiling from the other thread... cool sculpt

Not for me!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why does a character who has never been older than 17 have a 45 year old's face?

Honestly, that isn't very good.

I mean, it's a good model, but it lacks any sort of character or personality.

I would never ever want to play a Zelda game which looked like that.

For being a "realistic" depiction, it looks pretty good.

The best thing about it is that he tries to make it like a young hero, from the super nes art. This type of desing usually try to give it some twist that doesnt gel well with th original character. Looks more like 20 something guy though.

Madness

Why does a character who has never been older than 17 have a 45 year old's face?

If he really is the hero of time, maybe we can one day get a game where he's beyond a young teen or young adult? The game would play much differently if Link could truly be an adult for one game, his relationship with Zelda, conflict with Ganondorf/Ganon, even other individuals.

I mean Link when he was conceived, wasn't a 17 year old he was basically created like Mario and Peach.

UrbanRats

This is the face of a young adult, definitely not someone who's 45 years old.
Can be both, people vary wildly in that regard.

Anyway, it mostly underlines how character design and artstyle go hand in hand.
It's the reason why something that may look good on paper, looks absolutely laughable, when portrayed even by the fittest and most expert cosplayer, or why they always have to change suit design for those marvel movies.

That Mastersword in particular, always looked like a plastic toy, but especially so, juxtaposed to a realistic looking man in a silly costume.

andthebeatgoeson

Constipation. Link hasn't been taking care of himself. Smoking, not eating enough fiber. He got chased by a chicken and was winded after a quarter mile. They say black don't crack but elf will melt.

Damn shame.

Looks too old compared to how he's represented in the last few games. Also compared to the image most of us probably have of "Link" in our heads.

The keys are a nice touch though.

tuna_love

Banned
Is everyone saying no because it doesn't provide an interesting perspective?
I think it looks pretty cool but its hard to judge without colours.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can be both, people vary wildly in that regard.

Anyway, it mostly underlines how character design and artstyle go hand in hand.
It's the reason why something that may look good on paper, looks absolutely laughable, when portrayed even by the fittest and most expert cosplayer, or why they always have to change suit design for those marvel movies.

That Mastersword in particular, always looked like a plastic toy, but especially so, juxtaposed to a realistic looking man in a silly costume.
I agree, except for the mastersword part. I feel like it would work with the right amount of work.
christian-henkel-master-sword03.jpg

There is something with fan art when it comes to zelda that we too often end up assuming that person is selling that look as what they want the games to look.
I wasn't saying that, I'm just saying it's a realistic depiction, it's obviously fanart as a form of practice not a statement about how Zelda should look.

This is often one of my biggest complain, props like the Master Sword have to be redesigned as much as the character (like the keys here, for instance, they match, the sword and shield, do not as much)

I wasn't saying that, I'm just saying it's a realistic depiction, it's obviously fanart as a form of practice not a statement about how Zelda should look.
I'm not accusing you of it, but referring to the "why does this even exist" kind of attitude that emerges in these kinds of threads.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
He looks like a generic elf, maybe a true realistic Link would look like a generic elf too but in any case not like this one.

It is...ok...as a model on it's own.

But I don't want Nintendo to go in this direction. Ever. Thats not what Link should look like.

Haunted

Looks extremely nice for a modeling exercise, but this is probably not a look that Nintendo is capable of pulling off (or interested in pursuing).

Madness

It is...ok...as a model on it's own.

But I don't want Nintendo to go in this direction. Ever. Thats not what Link should look like.

k1MPm.jpg

I mean remember this from the Dynasty Warriors game? I think it could be a nice change of pace to 'grow' Link beyond the toonish boy/teen they've kept him for the past few decades.

andthebeatgoeson

There is something with fan art when it comes to zelda that we too often end up assuming that person is selling that look as what they want the games to look.
Or I'm probably projecting on how I want it to look. The characters have been molded to look a certain way over decades and it's hard to let go. Given the push for realism in gaming, I can see why this fan art has been rejected.

Top Bottom